Plan for the Week

February 22, 2016 in Uncategorized

Fail to Plan or Plan to Fail! That’s the name of the game!

I’ll be sharing my weekly plan with you all on Mondays to keep myself accountable and for anyone who wants to come along.  My plan is what it’s always been.  The same plan that helped me lose 250 pounds in the first place.  Kicking sugar out of my life and breaking free from food obsession.

I suggest two paths for making this happen.  The first you can find here where I wrote a lengthy post about Sugar Addiction and a very simple eating plan that consists of nothing but liquid shakes every 2 hours for the first week or so.

The second path is the one I am currently on.  It is the one that I would refer to as the long term way of living that works for me.  It involves a form of intermittent fasting from actual food that you chew during the day.  What I mean by this is the nutrition I take in during the day comes in the form of liquid.  It’s still there.  It’s still coming in my body and fueling me as I need it.  But it doesn’t start the chew cycle which often leads to unnecessary food.  Aside from this I am listening to natural hunger.   In the first plan, I set a timer and drink a ready made Atkins shake every 2-3 hours no matter what.  In my current plan, I allow myself to get in tune with my natural hunger cues to decide when I need to drink a protein shake.

I think it’s very hard to listen to natural hunger when you’re mind is clouded by sugar cravings and emotional hunger. That is why sometimes just setting a timer every 2-3 hours helps you to reset this.  Once that seems to be done and there is less fear and anxiety about going without food for a period of time, the second path becomes much easier.

For me the second path means I begin my day with coffee.   I definitely love and look forward to my morning coffee! To be truthful it is what I crave when I get up and not food.  When I believed I was hungry first thing in the morning, it was a lie.  It was a lie told to me by the sugar that was causing cravings.  It was a lie told to me by my mind that relied on food for anxiety and comfort.  It was a lie told to me by many traditional theorists who believe not eating breakfast is a crime.  But the truth is that all I wanted in the morning was coffee.  And I will add half of a Vanilla Atkins ready made shake in place of creamer to turn my coffee into a ‘latte’ of sorts.  I usually drink two cups of coffee over the span of 2 hours.   The first half of my shake in the first cup and the second half in the second cup.  By doing this, I am getting about 15 grams of protein in which kind of turns my coffee into Protein Coffee I suppose!

As you can see there is nutrition but it doesn’t involve chewing.  Believe me when I say that the mental impact of CHEWING food as soon as I get up can never be underestimated.  The day might as well be wrapped up in the first hour if I do that.  From that moment on I am thinking about what to eat next.  This way I ensure that I preserve my mental sanity and do what works for me!

For the first several hours of the day, I alternate between my ‘protein’ coffee and my water.

Dressing up your water is key.  This is not something I did on my first initial effort to lose weight.  I believe that is why water fell by the wayside for me.  I guess it just wasn’t entertaining enough!  I kept struggling to drink it at all.  I was never a water drinker before and I couldn’t seem to get myself into the habit.  I’ve tried numerous times.  But this seems to be helping me more than anything.  I fill a mason jar with water in the morning adding fresh lemon and lime slices.  Sometimes just one or the other.  I make sure it’s really cold.  When I am done with my first cup of coffee, I begin working on that water.

Oh…I forgot….I also add a pretty straw.  Don’t ask me why but that helps!

The mason jar holds about 25 ounces of water so you’re really off to a great start once you finish it.  When I do finish it, I just refill it and put it back in the refrigerator or even the freezer (so long as I don’t leave it there too long–made that mistake last week!)  It WILL crack if you leave it overnight.  But if it’s just there for an hour or so it gets really cold and I prefer it that way.

This week I will continue to find other ways to ‘dress up’ my water.  I tried mint which didn’t work for me. I think I didn’t add enough so I will try that again.  My friend Jenny suggested adding cucumber so that will be something to try.  Please send along any other ideas you have.  I believe getting that water in is so important.  It really helps to curb hunger and still gives you the mental feeling of ingesting something.  So many of us just need to feel like we have something with us.  Whether it’s the water or the shake or unfortunately the cookie.  So many of us feel anxious whenever we don’t have something constantly with us to eat or drink.    I know much of this is seeking that comfort or seeking that feeling of not being alone.  Just having something there.  I’m working more and more on allowing God to fill that need but I may always be someone that needs to have ‘something’ right there next to me.  So water is essential as being good for you and also harmless to you calorically.   Even better it helps to flush out the toxins and sugar we have been killing ourselves with up until now.

I continue to fill my refrigerator with Atkins ready to go shakes.   Currently Vanilla and Chocolate.   But any shake that you like would work so long as they are sugar controlled.   You would be surprised at how many are NOT sugar controlled at all.  I try to avoid anything with more than 4 grams of sugar per serving in a detox mode.

I am also branching out into making some shakes for more variety.  I continue to believe that too much variety can hinder my progress.  But trying something new a little bit at a time works.  So every week I will try perhaps one or two shake recipes to try for variety but never more than that.  If you are just now starting out on an effort to sugar detox or break free from food addiction then you may want to drink a basic ready made shake every 2 hours until you feel less obsessive about eating.  This takes time though.  And I think it’s ok to do what works for you.

Last week I tried a new recipe from the Skinnytaste blog that used pumpkin.  I know it’s not really the time of year to be discussing pumpkin but it kind of got me off on a pumpkin kick.   So this week I am experimenting with making a protein shake using pumpkin.

Here is what I came up with:

1/4 cup of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling! Pumpkin puree)

1 Vanilla Atkins Ready to go shake OR 1 scoop of Vanilla Protein powder

Pumpkin Pie Spice ( according to your taste)

Ice

According to my calculations, this is 191 calories, 8 carbs, 9 fat grams and 16 grams of protein

This is an experiment so I’ll let you know how it turns out.

For dinner this week, I have planned out the following:

Monday: Chicken Drumsticks (with whatever variety of spices baked in the oven for one hour at 400.  I turn over halfway in the middle)

Tuesday: Pork Roast in the crockpot (how I will season this is still up for grabs…)

Wednesday:  Lasagna Stuffed Peppers

Thursday: 10 Minute Low Carb Chili

Friday:  Chicken Crust Pizza

For my exercise, I will continue to go walking in the neighborhood.  I am logging this on Map My Walk.  I am currently doing about 1.5 miles in the morning because that just happens to be how long it takes for me to walk around the loop.   I listen to podcasts and music while I’m walking.  Add me if you like…300poundsdown  I am also alternating or adding Leslie Sansone Walking Videos.

I am making progress.  The scale is down about 8 pounds since I really started getting back to what works. But it’s still not the level of progress I should be seeing.  It’s probably only been the last two weeks that I’ve really fallen much more into step with the way I used to eat.  And maybe even only this last week that I really started feeling it click.   I can tell you, though, that when I really follow this plan to the letter I will be seeing a weekly loss of at least 2 -3 pounds or more.  In order to do that I have to keep striving to go deeper.   To really address whatever the things that are bothering me might be and deal with them properly and not with food.  To keep seeking real hunger over the artificial mental hunger.  And to keep going further into my walk with God as I ask Him to show me the things I need to see and then give me strength to address them.

The scripture verse I am trying to hold onto this week is John 3:30

He must become greater, I must become less

And boy do I ever mean this on multiple levels.   There needs to be more of Him and less of me in in all areas.  Less of me getting in the way of His plan for my life.  Less of me trying to use my own methods (food etc) to deal with life instead of going to Him.  Less of me physically taking up room!  Less of my hips…and so on!! lol

Here’s to another successful week leaning on God and believing for victory!!

Love you all 🙂

PS.  Here’s a few pictures from over the weekend

We got a puppy a few months ago and he is actively chewing up everything in the house.  This weekend he brought the excuse “The dog ate my homework” to fruition when he managed to chew up Charlotte’s reading log. We attempted to tape it back together.   I wonder what the teacher will say?

He looks so innocent right?

image-24

Here I am with my son CJ watching movies.  I’m actually sitting on the floor here.  I know many of you understand the impossibility that is when you are really big.  Getting on and off the floor equals nightmare!

image-26

And last but not least…

The proverbial sitting behind the steering wheel ‘ so you can only see me from the head up’ selfie!  The kind we all take when we are annoyed with how we look from the boobs down! And of course my giant sunglasses that the kids say make me look like a bug.  Also add to this picture the highlighting job I recently got which my kids think is way too blonde.  They’re probably right.

What can I say..its Monday!

image-27

Hollie February 22, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Have you ever tried or considered a Ketogenic diet? That is what I’m using to beat my food/sugar addiction and I’m feeling great.
Hollie recently posted..Milestones and FearMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 22, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Yes Keto is very in line with what works for me too. I draw from Keto, all generic low carb, Atkins, Paleo, Primal etc. All of them are similar I think

Maureen February 22, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I had RNY 3 years ago, lost 263 lbs and am now losing a regain of about 65 lbs. I am also a medical research librarian so I keep up on all the research (not done on bariatric patients though) and it seems to show that breakfast is not particularly important. I you like eating it great, but if you don’t, that’s okay too. I am experimenting intermittent fasting It’s working for losing weight but I will have to test in a few months to make sure I am absorbing enough protein. Your plan for the weeks sounds great, good luck with it

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 22, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Hey welcome to the regain club Maureen!! We are in it together! I love that you’re a librarian. So was my mom. I’m happy to hear breakfast isn’t all everyone says it’s cracked up to be. For whatever reason it is the main reason I derail. Never would have thought it could be the case but it is. Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it so much

Lisa F February 22, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Keep going Holly! You’re an inspiration to us all. I am following your advice from experience and I enjoy catching-up with you each morning. This week, I have just been really watching the calories and tracking what I eat, and I will have my first weeks weigh-in on Wednesday, and I am actually kind of looking forward to it. Then I will start the Adkins Shake week. I am looking forward to the week of sugar detoxing and just drinking the shakes. I like the simplicity of it. I think I have prepared myself for the sugar withdrawal, as much as I can anyway. I keep telling myself I can do anything for a week.

I am excited to get to a point where I can eat because I am hungry and not because Sugar is telling me to eat. Thanks for leading the way!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Thank you Lisa! I love checking in with all of you in the morning too! It sets my day up for the right start. I am looking forward to hearing about how things go at your weigh in and how you feel it is all working for you. I totally believe you should do what works for you and I am so happy that you feel like you are finding that!

Karen P February 22, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Here’s to your abstinence based plan, meal by meal. One day and meal at a time. Onward.
Karen P recently posted..Keeping my self talk in check and not opening the door to binge eating as I ageMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Thanks Karen!

Barb February 22, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Sounds like a great plan for the week! I just got back from a “free for all” vacation so I’m getting back on track today to kick the sugar. My fav protein shake is water, 1oz cream cheese, 3 frozen strawberries and 1 scoop protein powder. Kind of like a strawberry cheesecake drink!

Just another thought for you…as this is something I have discovered about myself. Do you have hobbies? I am a stay at home mom to 3 school age kids. Yes there are always things to be done but I realized I never did anything fun for me like a craft or painting. I did realize in my spare time I’d get on the Internet and was always reading about diets/food/exercise etc. it seriously has made me crazy! So much conflicting info out there! I do like your blog though because I realate to you a lot. But to get your mind interested in non health things can be a real struggle! Just a thought!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 22, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Now that is interesting. I have never put cream cheese in it before!! Great idea. As far as crafting goes, this is a great topic. I have often wondered about doing things with my hands that is not food related. I recently downloaded an app for coloring. This sounds strange but it’s apparently a popular thing now as they have been putting out adult coloring books as well. Some of them are focused on peace and other things. I’m going to write a post about it actually. I’ve never been particularly crafty but with pinterest we can now figure things out a lot better than we used to be able to. WE being the non crafty folks!!

Lori February 22, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Did you crush or somehow break the veins in the mint? That helps with the flavor.

Personally, I like Everly water flavoring. They are sweetened with stevia and are a nice mild addition to water. In my area they are in Publix stores.
Lori

Pam February 23, 2016 at 1:47 am

Hollie..I am EXACTLY like you. From the first real bite of food the day can go out of control. I have fought parents, spouse, friends, children, co-workers who insisted breakfast was a must! Not for me. I lost 92 lbs and gained half back before I realized sugar had to go and stay gone and my meals had to be on my terms. I owe a lot to you and Sean Anderson at Daily Diary of a Winning Loser for putting yourselves out there. It is so hard and takes so much courage, effort, and faith. I am down 20 and heading to normal where I hope to live! Good luck to you..you certainly deserve it.

LHA February 23, 2016 at 2:33 am

Good luck and thanks for the encouragement. My eating plan is somewhat similar to yours, especially in regard to strict avoidance of sugar. That is the really key for me. I also am a real believer in intermittent fasting and find it actually helps keep my hunger in check. I really struggle with getting enough water in and I actually find that drinking through a straw is a big help, although I don’t really know why either. Keep up the good work and thanks for blogging!

Dawn Wagner February 23, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I am so proud of you, Holly! I can see a difference in your attitude over the past month or so. You are in control and I love watching your progress.
Dawn Wagner recently posted..Patience, Persistence, and AccountabilityMy Profile

Mollie February 23, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Hi Holly,

I am the exact same way with not wanting to eat breakfast! In my case, I just have no hunger at all until the afternoon. I’ve just had better luck following my body’s signal not to eat when I’m not hungry. I never really heard much years ago about IF but it just seems to work.

I really like the Atkins shakes as well and often have one if I need protein. I am eager to try the new cookies and creme flavor and wonder if you’ve had it yet?

I think your new highlights are lovely and your new pup is adorable!

I’m rooting for you and know you’ll do great!

Mollie

Margaret Wolfinbarger February 24, 2016 at 2:07 am

Holly-this is a very brave plan. I am “allergic” to shakes since I did the shake thing in high school. I’m not really allergic, but even thinking about drinking weight watchers-ish shakes makes my eyeballs roll back in my head and I’m 15 years old watching my friends eat pizza and fries while I suffer(suck down) that chocolate shake of doom. 🙂 I’m just going to be a nerd here and reiterate how unfair it is that some people can eat whatever they want and never gain a pound and I even look at pizza and my pants don’t fit.

But in all sincerity, I am praying like crazy you succeed!! Go, Holly! You’ve got this! I avoid sugar like the plague. We just have to if we want to succeed.
Margaret Wolfinbarger recently posted..A Valiant Girl Learns to Listen to her BodyMy Profile

robin February 25, 2016 at 10:25 pm

I don’t know it just seems so analytical. Please don’t be annoyed with me but obviously this diet has flaws or you would still be on it. Dress up water, shakes, shakes in coffee, no chewing until a certain time. You can’t just be like eat a healthy diet of fruits and veggies lean protein etc…. And Move!!! Clean the house, walk, play, do laundry. This pep talk is just as much for me as it is you by the way. Also what kind of work are you doing? I don’t see where you’ve mentioned it or maybe I’ve missed it.

anneli byrd February 29, 2016 at 6:53 pm

So glad you’re back and back on track! I’m wondering if you could venture into the world of soups? Nothing chewy in the soup, but some of your shakes sound nice and thick and maybe a nice warm bowl of something would work too? I’m thinking soups might help with feelings of isolation, so you still feel as though you’re eating like a “normal” person–with a shake for breakfast and snacks, soup for lunch and a reasonable dinner? Just an idea.
Keep at it!
Anneli

Bonita Gordita April 14, 2016 at 4:29 am

I’m not a breakfast-eater, either. And I’m working on losing the weight I gained, too. Such is life. I also like the simplicity of not really thinking and just eating. I’ve had a few days stretch where I made a huge pot of soup and pretty much worked soup and shakes alternately. It was just nice not to think. It also helped me move away from the sugar cravings. I appreciate this post – it reminds me of that. I might have to think about doing that again next week.

God Bless.