Snow Days

February 24, 2015 in Uncategorized

We’ve been snowed in for the past week.  My kids are having their first real experience with snow.  Well….the first experience they can really remember at least!  Our new house has a large  backyard with THE hill.  You know the one.  The one that everyone wants to sled down when it snows.   So the whole neighborhood has been over.  Congregating here on our hill.  And it’s been this wonderful time where the kids are building snowmen, throwing snowballs and sledding every day in our Winter Wonderland!

And in the past I would have been able to watch them do this.  From the window.

But that’s all.

Because if you’ve ever been really big then you know that sledding is not exactly something that is on the agenda.  Not to mention what walking in the snow at all is like.  I really can’t even imagine how hard it would have been for me to do these things at 417 pounds. Impossible really because I had a hard time just walking on level ground.  But last week,  I was able to sled and throw snowballs and do all the things I had ever dreamed I could do as a Mom with my children.

So while I’ve grown tired at times of the fight and sometimes questioned what the point is to it all—this week was a good reminder.

This is what it’s all about.   THIS.  Living life without being held back.  This is the point.

And sometimes we need that reminder.   Winter gave me that this year.  So consider me blessed!

1912167_10206333926926452_8231072350869444062_o

10998320_10206333928086481_9037409943549398568_o 10915008_10203676495208097_6591558971275349475_o 10382619_10203668311803517_974207893205414581_o 10931107_10206333927286461_5556542900436770141_n 10958196_10206329119446268_4877214612997961603_n 11010572_10206327764572397_1674690312486483158_n 10978699_10206327764972407_6054063844238056487_n

I don’t always want to keep moving forward. I don’t want to always say no to a box of Donuts and a 2 liter of Coke.  And I don’t always want to keep pushing through the walls that often go up when the road seems to get longer and my motivation grows weak.  But when the sky opens up and snow falls, I want to build snowmen with my children.  And fit on a sled WITH my kids.  And for the sled to be able to actually move even with all of us on it.

I want to be able to get up again when the sled reaches the bottom of the hill.  I want be able to get MYSELF up without an army of people having to help make that happen.  Because I have the strength in my arms and the strength in my legs to push myself up.  And that isn’t easy to do if you’ve spent all the months before that laying in a chair being sedentary and eating snack cakes.  Only it’s hard to remember that in the moment when you’re tired and hungry for snack cakes!

But there is something I want more.  I want the strength to climb back up the hill for another round.  To spend the day and then the next day playing with my kids.  And I want to be able to do those spontaneous things when they happen.  Because I had no idea the schools were going to shut down for a whole week and suddenly we’d be transported into a Winter Wonderland.  But when things happen, I want to be there. I don’t want to just be watching from the window wishing I could.

It seems there is no way to plan for those spontaneous moments—but there is.

It’s by making the choice every day to get up and go walking when you don’t feel like it.  To climb stairs that you don’t have to so that one day you can climb up the snowy hill that you WANT to.  It’s saying no to powdered donuts so you can say yes to powdered snowballs you’ll throw with your kids because you have the strength now to do it.

I really needed a snow day and not for the reasons most people do.  Not so I could relax and get away from the responsibilities of life but so that I could get back to them.  So I could remember why I’m still in the fight.  Why it’s worth it.

Because it is.

photo-75

Melissa @ Faster In Water February 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Love this post! The NSVs are worth so much more.
Melissa @ Faster In Water recently posted..Injured. Sigh.My Profile

Adelyn February 24, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Great Reminder.
Adelyn recently posted..Weigh In: Week 8My Profile

Bonnie February 24, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Good for you! Keep fighting the fight. I’ve lost 33 pounds in the last nine months and it amazes me how much easier shoveling is (my kids are now big and no longer sled).

And that is a great sledding hill! I’m from northern WI, so I know a good sledding hill when I see one. But I can’t believe they close school for that little bit of snow! 🙂

min February 24, 2015 at 3:33 pm

This post is exactly a great reminder as to why we struggle to get healthier. Thank you for sharing.
min recently posted..T-30 and countingMy Profile

John (Daddy Runs a Lot) February 24, 2015 at 4:07 pm

This.

Simply? This is why I do what I do.

Not too long ago, we went to visit with family out in the farmland. There was a significant snowfall a few days prior, meaning that there was a LOT of snow to be enjoyed. And lots of hills. So we went sledding. The thing about climbing snowy hills is that it’s a LOT of work.

No way I could have made trip after trip, by myself, a few years ago. Now, though I was carrying my kids up & down the hill. And enjoying it (though, damn, did it take a lot out of me). Currently, this is one of the major memories that plays in my head when part of me wants to scream “it’s not worth it, have a pizza or two”.
John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I provide my take on the current crop of fitness buzzwordsMy Profile

Pam Holmes February 24, 2015 at 4:10 pm

“This is what it’s all about. THIS. Living life without being held back. This is the point.”
You have summarized our journeys beautifully Holly! I like to call it freedom, because that’s what it feels like to me–freedom to go anywhere, do anything, and not be held back by my weight anymore. That IS the point and it is a HUGE point!!! Thanks for the reminder!
Pam Holmes recently posted..More Rough TimesMy Profile

Lori February 24, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Enjoy it!!

We got ice in my area, not much snow. Still it was nice for winter to give us a few days to snuggle in at home.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Not Exactly M&M’s!My Profile

Cheryl February 24, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I look forward to your posts each day. Thank you for sharing!

I wanted to tell you that you inspire me. I just picked up a few “Walk Away the Pounds” DVDs, and love them!

So far in my journey, I’ve lost 50 pounds, and am struggling to lose the next 50. Thanks again for all the motivation you give me!

Cheryl

daLawna burch February 24, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for all your great and inspiring posts!
I was wondering what FitBit you have? I went online and there seems to be a couple different ones. And if you know the difference between them?

Thanks and keep up the great work! I think you are amazing!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 24, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I think all of them are probably great. I have the FitBit Charge and I like it because I wear it on my wrist like a watch. I am pretty sure I would lose the others because I am terrible at losing things. The ones you clip on your clothes would (for me) end up gone, lost, or in the washing machine. So I like the one that I can wear.

Anna February 25, 2015 at 3:58 am

I LOVE this post! YES, freedom! Freedom to breathe, freedom to just be. The chains are gone and the cage door is sprung open. =)

I also wanted to reply to the fitbit question. I just recently got one, too. I found a chart at kohls.com, where they compared all the models side by side, and that was a super big help to me. You can find it here: http://www.kohls.com/media/digital/ecom/pdfs/pdf/Fitbit_Comparison_Chart.pdf

xoxo Anna

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 25, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Thank you for this chart!! This is great!!

Shelley March 1, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Beautiful post. I left a comment on a previous post introducing myself. I’m so blessed to have found you. I know it was God ♡ Blessings
Shelley recently posted..It’s The Weekend……….againMy Profile