Don’t Shovel Alone

February 25, 2015 in Uncategorized

backyard

Wednesday is the middle of the week.  It’s usually a day that feels difficult.  You’re somewhere in between.  Not at the beginning but not at the end.

I’ve felt that way for a long time.  So much in the middle of this journey that I’m too far in to go back and yet still too far out to see the finish line.

That’s when ‘impossible’ sits on your chest and threatens to crush your progress.  It makes you feel restless.  Like everything is too hard.

And maybe you won’t really ever get there.

But the truth is that it’s amazing I ever started in the first place.

Because when you have to lose 300 pounds or more, it seems overwhelming.

It seems impossible.

You’re too far gone.  You’re beyond help.

And you have so far to go that you’ll never get there.

RIGHT?

The only reason I even started on this journey in the first place is because my brother did.

First, he did.

And then he flew to my house and said you can too.  And I’ll help.

So we started shoveling out together.

If I had had to shovel out by myself, I wouldn’t have even started.

Because I was just  in too deep.

So he picked up the shovel and started shoveling for me.

And when I was ready, I picked up a shovel too.  And then we were shoveling together.

Because that’s how you get out of deep holes.  With people who don’t mind shoveling when you don’t have the strength to.

No one can lose the weight for us. That’s true.  But it doesn’t mean we have do this alone.

All along the way I’ve had people help me.  First my brother who gave me the vision.  The hope to even try.

And then later it was others who came along when I needed them.  Like people along the sidelines of your life cheering you on when you needed it.

Sometimes it was them.  And sometimes it was others.  And sometimes for a stretch of the road it seemed like I was shoveling all alone.

But there’s always a turn.  There’s always someone up ahead holding a shovel.  Waiting for their stretch of the road.

Waiting to cheer you around that corner.

You aren’t alone.  At least you don’t have to be.  So reach for the help when you need it.  Accept it when it comes.  And look for it when it doesn’t.

Seek it out when you have to.

BUT NEVER SHOVEL ALONE

Because that IS hard.  Too hard.  And that does feel impossible.

But when we look for one another it becomes easier.  Not EASY.  But—easier.

So everyone grab a shovel.   Because we all need friends.  So be the friend that someone needs.  Pick up the shovel.  Show up and start shoveling.

Because just when YOU need it, someone will show up in your driveway and start shoveling when you least expect it.

So be that person for someone else.  When you can.  When you’re able.  Because we need each other.  We really do.

And I get that I’m symbolic but we all know I’m talking about weight.

SHOVELING WEIGHT

And I am.

But it’s more than that.

Because weight is more than pounds.

It’s shoveling low self esteem and depression and lack of motivation and hopeless situations.

It’s shoveling the !@@##!! of life.  And we all need someone to help us shovel it, ok?  Because if we help each other, it isn’t impossible.

IT ISN’T IMPOSSIBLE

Winter won’t last forever.  The sun will shine again.  But first you have to pick up a shovel.  For yourself. For your friends.

That’s how we get through it.  That’s how we we win.

And we will win

So just keep shoveling. A little bit every day.  That’s how we’ll get there.

Because we WILL get there.  So don’t give up.

Barb February 25, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Thank you! My motivational speech for the day! I’m on day 2 of getting back on the low carb journey and it’s good to have you as a cheerleader! And know that I am cheering you on as well!

Sara February 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm

you inspire me! Just when I feel terrible about my own journey you write a message that just resonates! Thank you! I’m going to pick up a shovel and get to work! (Plus, im going for a fit bit!)

Susan February 25, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Holly,

You are an amazing woman! I say this because I have been reading your blog for quite a while now and although you are not where you may want to be weight-wise–I think you are going through this journey in this way to help others like me. I had my weight loss surgery on July 31, 2014 and I have 250 pounds to lose. I also have a chronic illness that makes it difficult to exercise for very long, so it feels like I will never get to where I want to be. Your message today is just what I need. Thank you and I hope you are having a fantastic day. What a wonderful friend Amanda is! 😉 Take care,

Susan

robin March 2, 2015 at 11:33 am

Ok good post but now grab your shovel because there’s someone who needs your help. You may know of him. His blog is called 700 pounds is as bad as it sounds, have you read it? That man needs a friend with a big ole shovel!!!! Please stop by his blog especially his February 28th post and you will see what I mean, thanks:)

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 2, 2015 at 11:42 pm

I will go check it out now, Robin

Kathy March 7, 2015 at 6:37 am

Holly, it was no accident that I found your blog tonight. A week ago we were at the hospital, our daughter gave birth to our first grandson. While there, I hopped on a scale that was out in the hallway. I haven’t been on a scale since August of 2011. When I saw the 4 at the beginning of the number, I wanted to pass out, throw up, and run screaming into a corner with a blanket over my head. Well, a week’s gone by, and I know that it’s now or never. I had gastric bypass in 1999, and that didn’t work for me. I lost 130 pounds, and now have gained it all back, with 75 more to go with it. I can’t stand for my husband to touch me. I feel ashamed, unworthy, undesirable. If I don’t do something, my life is over. So, my journey starts now. So from somebody who is just stepping out that back door, shovel in hand, it’s good to know I’m not alone.

Jessie March 10, 2015 at 5:03 am

I miss your updates Holly. I’ve never been overweight, but I know that you inspire people (me). Even if you’re struggeling, know that there are people that have your back! You seem like an amazing lady. Keep shoveling!

Terri in BC March 12, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for your inspiration today! I am approaching a milestone birthday, and have been feeling pretty down because I wanted to down to a certain weight goal, and have not even lost a single pound in the year since I made that goal. I am going to start shoveling today!