Easy Baked Chicken Drumsticks and some links

January 28, 2015 in Uncategorized

Believe it or not, I have never cooked chicken drumsticks!!  I don’t know why I thought it would be hard.  It isn’t at all! In fact I found it to be easier than cooking a whole chicken or even chicken breasts!  The best part is that my children LOVE drumsticks.  With a whole chicken, there are only two of them so the fight ensues over who will get one.  This is by far the better way to go.  Not only were the chicken drumsticks really inexpensive (even for a big pack) but they were super easy to make in the oven.  I think we were all in shock at how well it turned out!

After reviewing a lot of recipes, I used this version which was extremely simple.  I modified it from THIS recipe which I found on allrecipes.com and excluded the maple syrup that the original recipe included.

Easy Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks

• Package of chicken drumsticks ( I used half the package which was about 9 drumsticks)
  • Cloves of garlic (use however many you want….I used about 10 of them)
  • Butter
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Vegetables (whatever you want)

I have found that the smaller red potatoes are really easy to cook.  My kids like them a lot.  I generally try to avoid eating potatoes myself because of the carbs and the fact that I like them too much.  However, my kids love french fries, has browns and tater tots.  Baking potatoes in the oven has turned out to be a good healthy alternative for this.  And it’s really simple to just cut them up and throw them in the dish.  (Of course we do have to watch the GREEN potatoes so as to avoid the “toxic” potato incident we had the other day!)

First I put some butter in the dish and put it in the oven as it was preheating.  When the butter was melted, I took it out and threw in the potatoes and the  chicken drumsticks.  I also added some salt and pepper.  In addition to this, I threw about 10 peeled garlic cloves to the pan.  I baked them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, I pulled the dish out and flipped the drumsticks over to the other side.  I cooked them for an additional 30 minutes (to make 1 hour total) and then they were done!

Before…

photo 1-22

After….

photo 3-15

The night I made this, I also made the Shrimp and Avocado salad.  It was by far one of the best meals I have ever made according to my kids!! Here is my plate!  As you can see, I did eat some of the potatoes.  But I used a small plate.  They say this should trick your brain into wanting less.  Not sure if that quite works for me but it’s a thought!

photo 4-12

Lately, I’ve been looking up recipes on Allrecipes.com which lets you search by ingredient.

I’ve also been finding a lot of great recipes to try at these blogs (Low Carb)

I breathe…I’m hungry

Peace, Love and Low Carb

Nom Nom Paleo

Ruled.Me

In addition to this, I’ve really enjoyed perusing this website which gives a lot of recipes for making dishes with raw vegetables and fruits

Fully Raw

This one is vegetarian and also has some good ideas

Oh She Glows

As you can see, I’m looking at a variety of places for ideas.  So far so good!  Let me know if you have any good websites!

Mrs Abella January 28, 2015 at 12:44 pm

You are doing great! You’ve opened up a whole new world in what you’re doing, and you’ll never regret it. 🙂

Keep up the good work!
Mrs Abella recently posted..Don’t Hide!My Profile

Barb January 28, 2015 at 1:23 pm

WTG!!! Meal by meal you are building up confidence!! Peace, Love, & Low Carb is my favorite recipe website!!! Her chicken scampi ROCKS!!! My daughter who is not a chicken fan LOVES it!

Cheryl January 28, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Budget Bytes is a good website. She includes step by step pictures for her recipes and includes a breakdown of the cost. http://www.budgetbytes.com/

Erin January 28, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I love Skinny Taste and Emily Bites. They are both really good and both offer nutritional information. Emily Bites also provides weight watcher points.

John (Daddy Runs a Lot) January 28, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I’m doing something similar as a cheaper/healthier wing-replacement for the Super Bowl. Tonight, I’ll buy 10 pounds of drumsticks and put them in a large plastic bag with 1tbsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, and mustard powder (tossing it all together). Tomorrow, I’ll put them in a steamer over an inch of water and steam for 20 minutes. After they’ve cooled, I’ll, again, toss with the same collection of spices (adding 1tbsp of ground cinnamon) and stick in the fridge, covered, until Sunday (I’m heading out of town until a few hours before the game, otherwise I’d buy on Friday, steam on Saturday, and bake on Sunday)

On Sunday, I’ll arrange the drumsticks on a cooking-sprayed, aluminum foil-covered baking tray. As the pregame starts, I’ll bake at 400 for 30 minutes, flip, and another 30 minutes. Then I’ll toss with a few pre-made sauces:

1/2 cup Frank’s red-hot mixed with 2tbsp melted butter (not great for calorie watching, but it’s the Super Bowl — you can keep the melted butter out and pour the Frank’s over the wings during the last 10 minutes of baking to try to incorporate the flavors without needing something to make the sauce “stick,” but it’s the Super Bowl, so I allow myself some leeway)

1/3 cup of soy sauce, 1/3 cup of teriyaki sauce, 1/3 cup of honey, 1tbsp minced garlic, 1tsp ginger paste

For dipping, I’ll mix: 1 cup of greek yogurt (I make my own, but storebought would work just as well), 2 ounces of blue cheese, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, 1tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and lemon juice.
John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I think on confidenceMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down January 28, 2015 at 3:40 pm

This is awesome!! I was wondering how do you steam them over water? Do you buy something that fits in the pot that allows them to be steamed without touching the water? Also….why are you steaming them a day before baking them? Does that do something to them? Excuse my ignorance hahah

John (Daddy Runs a Lot) January 28, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Steaming then baking makes for a crispier end product (without having to fry). And to steam, I have a very large pot that has an insert with holes — I’ll put water on the bottom of the large pot, the chicken in the insert, put the water to boiling and then stick the insert and lid over the larger pot (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E1VLPO?psc=1)
John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I think on confidenceMy Profile

Amy January 28, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I love how you’re trying all these new things – and look, you’re already an old pro. Kudos. Big kudos! I’ve also been trying to use small plates whenever I can, and do think it makes a difference. I also like small forks and spoons for some reason – my boyfriend thinks I am weird! 🙂
Amy recently posted..Random ThoughtsMy Profile

Lori January 28, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Good job on the chicken. I love allrecipes.com.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In and Other RamblingsMy Profile

Alison C. January 28, 2015 at 5:19 pm

So proud of you! You are really coming right along with your cooking! I’m so glad you didn’t let that less-than-successful steak incident de-rail you. I am such a huge proponent of trying to make things rather than eat pre-packaged junk (think mac & cheese or hamburger helper) – the fresher taste alone is worth it! Now don’t forget – you’ll have some loser meals along the way – but sometimes that is more due to the recipe than the cook.

Keep on keepin’ on!

Amanda January 28, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Looks delish!
Amanda recently posted..Do It WellMy Profile

Karen January 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Awesome Job! You are making progress with your cooking skills. I am going to bake some drumsticks tonight. Your pics look delicious .

Katie January 29, 2015 at 3:57 am

I am so impressed!! Happy dance for cooking 🙂

Tine January 29, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Just wanted to comment, that Fully raw have a very good youtube channel. You can see a lot of the recipes there done step by step. I have done a few myself, love her juices and smoothies 🙂

Margaret January 29, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Smaller plates really do work (trick you into eating less), honest! Smaller bowls, too.

Beth February 2, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I love Nom Nom! The baked drumsticks sound yummy. I love that you are trying new things AND giving me some good ideas. 🙂
Beth recently posted..Another Moving DayMy Profile