Addictive Personality, Prescription Pills, and Mystery Pain

April 15, 2014 in Uncategorized

Just wanted to get a quick update out there as I’ve been MIA

About a week ago, I woke up with this intense pain in my shoulder

It radiated from the right side of my neck, down my arm, and even into my hand

It mostly hurts in my shoulder though

I can barely use my right arm

I can barely lift it at all due to the intense pain in my shoulder

Now I wish I had some great story to tell as to why this happened

Like…I was lifting weights at the gym and tore something

Or I was lifting a box in the garage and pulled something

But no….

As is SO TYPICAL OF ME

I went to bed and woke up

THAT IS IT

Almost every injury I have ever had in life has no reasonable basis LOL

When I fractured a bone in my foot years ago

It was because I stood up

That was it

I just stood up

(Of course I was over 400 pounds at the time and the weight was crushing me)

BUT STILL

I had the same experience when I got a meniscus tear in the back of my knee a few years ago

I don’t remember it happening

I just woke up and my knee felt messed up

Before long I couldn’t even walk

So here I am again

I go to bed totally fine

And I wake up in excruciating pain totally unable to move my arm!!

I wonder sometimes if an alternate personality is doing ninja moves in the night and not telling me

I just have no explanation!!

To make matters worse, I just recently changed my health insurance

And it turns out I am no longer able to see the doctor I have had for the past 8 years

The new doctor is totally packed and I had zero luck getting in to see them

So I went to Urgent care….twice….because it was SO painful!

They told me that I either pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve

And the only thing  I can do is take pain medication, anti inflammatory meds, ice it

AND WAIT

So that’s what I am doing

Minus the heavy pain meds

If I had surgery and I knew I was going to be taking pain meds for 2 or 3 days

I would do it

But since this seems to have an indefinite mystery time period attached to it

I decided to rough it out with Aleve

Trust me….it wasn’t easy turning down some good looking prescription pain pills

Especially when my shoulder is KILLING ME and I have virtually no use of my arm

But I figure with my type of history,  it would take me less than a week to get hooked on pain pills

One thing I have learned about myself over the course of this journey

Is that I am the unfortunate owner of an “addictive personality”

If something has potential addictive components to it

Then I’m probably going to get hooked on it!!

Because this is oddly enough the way my brain operates!

photo.PNG-52

photo.PNG-51 photo.PNG-53

I mean really….if I can get hopelessly hooked on sugar

And give that up only to find alcohol trying to sucker me in

Then do I really need to mess around with prescription pain pills?

NO THANKS

So I’m going with Plan B

photo.PNG-55

But it hasn’t been easy

I’m super grateful that my daughter Savannah (who is now in college and drives) has been helping me out tremendously

I mean it’s hard for me to even drive the car!

So as of the moment it’s a wait-and-see thing

I may try the chiropractor although I’m a little worried to try that as I’ve never been before

My daughter has been and highly recommended it

I’m just afraid to make anything worse

This of course has put a wrench in my plans

It’s always a battle when you find yourself hurt and unable to work out in your usual manner

Especially when I just had gotten back into my groove

But this is the game

You have to take the hits  as they come and find a way to keep going

To be honest even typing is a bit uncomfortable!

SO….if anyone has experienced this before and has any advice

I am all ears!!!!

In the meantime, I will keep hanging on!

Jessica April 15, 2014 at 8:45 pm

So sorry you’re hurting, Holly! I admire you for recognizing that you would likely get into trouble with the high powered pain meds. And I hope you can get into a doctor soon who can do the battery of tests to find out what the deal is with such intense pain. Hang in there!

Teri Carter April 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm

go to the chiropractor go go go! He won’t hurt you any worse than you already hurt and if you tell him about the pain they may be able to relieve the pinch, won’t help if it is a pulled muscle but you will be amazed at how good you will feel afterwards!

Anneli April 15, 2014 at 9:32 pm

OUCH!!! Hang in there! I swear you’re my long lost sister or something. I was walking along a flat surface one day and my knee decided to slip out of it’s socket for no reason and go exploring. I’d have felt better if I’d been playing tennis or something, but no. I proud of you for toughing it out w/o pain meds!
Anneli recently posted..Hey! I’m a model!My Profile

Erin April 15, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I would try massage or PT. I don’t trust anyone without an MD to “adjust” one of the the most important parts of my body.

LHA April 15, 2014 at 10:49 pm

So sorry! Very wise about the skipping the pain pills. We know ourselves better than anyone, and if you felt they might be a problem then you did the right thing. Are you going to be able to get into the new doctor at some point? Sometimes calling back and explaining that your pain is unbearable and you really need help can speed you to the top of a waiting list. I agree that you need an M.D., and chiropractors are not medical doctors. More damage might be done by trying that. I would at least want a firm diagnosis before deciding on treatment. Wow, I sure hope you can get help for this soon! Wishing you all the best.

chetney April 16, 2014 at 12:32 am

It’s been so long, I’m happy to get back into reading your blog! I’m sorry you are in pain, isn’t It funny how sometime we don’t even realize we have a certain body part until it starts hurting! Yes you should go to the chiropractor! They are miracle workers!

PaulaMP April 16, 2014 at 2:16 am

Can you go to the ER? That’s what I would do. They would have to run a lot of tests, so my guess is they would find out quicker than any other way

Katie April 16, 2014 at 3:58 am

Physio! They are amazing. Stay strong and I’ll send pain free thoughts.

Karen P April 16, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Holly, hang in there. Very, Very wise not to get stuck in an addictive cycle. Kudos for knowing yourself and making tough decisions.

Maybe a functional medicine doc who could work with your chiropractor and take a sliding fee scale or monthly/weekly payments?

Good luck and keep going. Onward.
Karen P recently posted..Livestreaming PaleoFX 2014 April 11, 2014- Loving it!My Profile

Laurie April 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I have the same problem with my right shoulder. All the xrays show nothing so the doc relates it to my lower back being very bad and since that is the base of the spine it affects everything else. Go to the chiro. It won’t hurt. Just find someone who is highly recommended by others. If the chiro does not help it it will need a shot. It’s helps the pain and lasts a few months. You can have cortisone and lidocaine shot deeply into the joint. It has been the only thing that has stopped the pain for me and returned most of the function. I feel for you. My knees have also gone out. Woke up and my knee was swollen and painful. Took months for it to subside. I do have Hashimoto’s and that does not help. Much of my joint pain is thyroid related. I do take painkillers everyday but no more than one or two. I use far more Advil. Good luck. Hope you can find something to help.

Granny Mumantoog April 16, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Had something called a frozen shoulder years ago. Sounds similar to what you are experiencing. I’m a believer in home based remedies and two things helped it finally “un-freeze”. First stand facing a wall and “let your fingers do the walking” slowly up the wall to just beyond your pain threshold. Repeat several times a day and each time you may find your fingers can walk an extra inch. I also had 1 visit with a very helpful Physical Therapist who taught me that exercise and also ordered a pulley device for me to use. It hung over my bathroom door and basically my good arm did all the work and pulled my bad arm up until I couldn’t stand it. It took a couple of weeks doing these every day but it worked.

Susan April 16, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Several years ago I had a herniated disk in my neck that pinched a nerve causing severe pain in my right arm. I actually thought I had broken my arm. It started with a slight headache as the day progressed it turned into a migraine then by the end of the day my arm ached so bad I did not want to move. I had to have an MRI and almost had to have surgery on my spine.
I had done nothing to cause the disk to herniate. The doctor tried everything pain medication did nothing for the pain. As a last resort thing she tried giving me steroids and it worked right before I had an appointment with a neuro surgeon. I still have issues with my neck at times but I can deal with that.

Dagny Kight April 23, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Your body will heal faster if it is under less stress and that’s what pain medication will do. I honestly doubt that you’d become addicted to pain medication in the proper dosage that quickly.

If it’s a pinched nerve, however, all you can do is let it run its course and pain medication won’t help anyway. Take care!
Dagny Kight recently posted..Think Like a Thin Person: A Tale of Two Thin WomenMy Profile

Nancy April 28, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Hi Holly,

I’m just catching up on reading your blog. Is your shoulder doing better now? I had an experience like yours last fall when my left shoulder started to hurt very intensely and very suddenly. Then the pain started to radiate down to my elbow and even down to my hand. I went to a sports medicine doctor and he suspected it was calcific tendonitis. He had shoulder x-rays and an ultrasound of my shoulder done, and found out that this was what I had. It’s where a calcified growth, kind of like a small soft bone-type growth, develops in your shoulder and then irritates the nerves around it. I got several shots of cortisone in my shoulder that day. The pain was better by later the same day. He said that often these calcified growths go away on their own. Thankfully, many months later, my shoulder is fine. So if your shoulder isn’t better, a sports medicine doctor or orthopedic doctor may be someone to go see about it. Cortisone shots can do wonders. I’ve gotten then in the past for bursitis in the same shoulder, and they have really helped.