Day 4–30/30 Challenge

March 7, 2014 in Uncategorized

1. 30 Crockpot Meals in 30 Days

Today I didn’t follow a recipe.  I just threw some pre-seasoned beef fajita meat from the grocery store into the crockpot.

It still counts as new because I had never bought this before.

I guess I am still in ‘taco’ mode from yesterday.

You have to be super careful with food that is marinated already because often times they put sugar in it however this was safe albeit a tad too spicy for me.

The kids loved it.  It was similar to what we ate the night before but that’s ok.

photo-22

So this is the 4th day in a row that I have made dinner in the crockpot.  This means that for exactly 4 straight days I have not had to cook dinner at night or suddenly wonder come 5 o’clock what we will eat.  Since I went through a serious period of struggling with my food plan, I fell into some bad habits.  Things like fast food, pizza and all those quick and easy things that spell trouble for me.   I find that 5 and 6 pm are rough times of the day for me.  It’s usually the perfect storm of being tired and hungry which leads to bad decision making.  It’s just too easy to grab take out or eat something packaged.   Those things almost always have sugar and lots of things that only serve to increase my hunger.  If I don’t preplan dinner, I usually make mistakes.

So basically the saying is true….Fail to Plan and Plan to Fail

photo.PNG-22

The single best thing I have done lately is THIS crockpot challenge.   I may be tired and hungry at 5 pm but the meal is already done.  I just love that.  It completely takes temptation out of the equation for me.  All day long I know that I am going to have dinner waiting for me!  I love not having to worry about cooking in the evening.  In addition to this, I find it easier to stick to my shakes during the day knowing that I have dinner coming up already prepared.

As a result of using the crockpot this week, I have had the best week controlling my food intake in a long time.   I’ve actually starting losing weight again and for the longest time I was either maintaining or gaining!!  This week alone I’ve lost about 5 pounds!  I definitely think that crockpot cooking is making a big difference in helping me get back on track.

2. 30 Minutes of Bible Study in 30 Days

This morning someone posted this video to Facebook and it really got me thinking

Video:  Two people describe the same person to a forensic artist

Isn’t it really crazy how critical we are of ourselves?

And it’s tough when you are overweight to NOT be critical

Because many times people out there in the world DO see you in a judgmental light

And then you internalize that

You start to see yourself that way too

I remember something my brother said about weighing close to 500 pounds

He said that many people look at you with horror and pity

That they can’t even hide their reactions

Not everyone is this way but many people are because I’ve experienced that myself

I used to have children point at me in the store and ask their mothers “What’s wrong with her?”

“Why is she so big?”

After awhile you start to feel broken

Just irrevocably BROKEN, messed up, marred and worthless

That’s why it is SO important for us to see ourselves through God’s eyes

SO this got me thinking about what I wanted to study today in the Bible for my 30 minutes

I decided it should be what God sees in us versus what WE see in ourselves

If God were to describe us, what would He say?

And this is what I discovered:

If the artist asked God to describe who we are

The first thing He’d say is “That’s my child!”

“‘I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters,’ says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:17-18, NIV)

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1, NIV)

Then He would say we are stars!  Beautiful and bright shining lights!

“You will shine among them like stars in the sky.” Philipphians 2:15

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.” Matthew 5:14

He would say we are truly special because He chose us

“You did not choose me, but I chose you” John 15:16

He would describe us as radiant!

Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. Psalms 34:5

AND EVEN

“More precious than jewels”!! (Proverbs 3:15)

If asked what He thought about your weight or your height

His answer would simply be this:

” I don’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but I look at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

It’s important that we remember to view ourselves through God’s mirror.

Our mirrors only show but a faint reflection of who we really are.  And there is so much more to us than what we see on the outside.

3. 30 Minutes of Walking/Jogging for 30 Days

So I hit up the treadmill today and walked for 30 minutes.

I jogged for about 2 minutes in little spurts.  I think I will continue with this.

I am also going to check out some apps.

So far so good!

4.  30 Minutes of Housecleaning for 30 Days

SO…..about this…..I didn’t quite make the grade today on this one.  Back on the wagon tomorrow!!

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone doing this challenge with me.

Melanie has been really doing awesome with her goals.  Check out her blog here and cheer her on!

Feel free to leave links to your blog so we can follow you too!

Melanie March 7, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Thanks so much Holly!!! I had another interesting day yesterday- yoga with the hubby! I think I laughed more than is normal but it was fun! I’m hoping I can stick with the plan for the weekend since things are usually super unstructured for us then. After all your crockpot love, I’m thinking I need to add at least once crockpot meal in every week to save with some of the after work don’t want to deal with cooking blah-ness that hits me at least once a week.
Melanie recently posted..30/30 Challenge: Day 4My Profile

Jean Marie March 7, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Try chili in the crock pot … it’s a dump and turn it on thing 🙂

Shelly G March 7, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Thank you so much for all your inspiration! I too am doing the 3030 Challenge! I am also committed to working out daily! So far so good! May God bless you on your journey and as you share with us all! <3
Shelly G recently posted..Are you a spectator or a participant…My Profile

Beth March 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Planning is always the key with me!
Beth recently posted..Shut Your MouthMy Profile

Leah March 7, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Day four- woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday. But ate well breakfast and lunch and snacks. Didn’t get home til almost 8 pm last night because of chiropractor appointment and a couple errands for stuff my daughter needed for school. So we grabbed a burrito late last night but instead of fast food went to Mexican food restuarant instead. Chose chicken instead of steak (in my mind a good decision lol).
I don’t have internet access at home but will try to get to the library tomorrow or Sunday to check for your updates on their computers.

Cathy Jones March 7, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’m glad to be reading again. I just love my crock pot! We are the bride of Christ! BEATIFUL!

Jo March 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Hi Holly,
reporting in – day 4 in the bag, yay me! I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have found your blog, you are so inspirational. I’ve been watching Joyce Meyer this week and she has been talking about how each of us has “that one thing”. She said her problem is her mouth. Mine is definitely a problem with sugar (or carbs, same thing I guess). Thank you for this challenge. I haven’t quite got the food under control yet but I’m proud to have kept up with the exercise.
See you tomorrow.

Beth M. March 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I am really enjoying your crock pot ideas! I don’t use my crock pot much, but I really like my pressure cooker (same concept but MUCH faster), I just need more recipes for it!
I’m really bad at planning ahead for dinner, so I do better with super quick options I can cook or reheat at the last minute. Things like frozen salmon or turkey burgers (freezer to plate in 20 minutes), or frozen turkey meatballs (add a bit of tomato sauce, cottage cheese and parmesan – meal in the microwave in under 10 minutes), are key for me to getting through the week with healthy, post-op appropriate meals at the last minute. I also use them when I make something for my husband that I don’t eat. He LOVES tuna casserole, but I haven’t found a way to make it pasta-less for me that sounds appealing. I can make a casserole for him, and I have meatballs, and we’re all happy.

Paula March 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I don’t have a blog that I actually use… maybe I ought to think about that…

Congratulations on your weight loss… it is awesome that the crockpot routine is helping you…

I am glad you are posting your Bible studies… today I just felt bad and was glad I didn’t have to think of what I wanted to study.

I had to go to Walmart to buy some shorts for our little “vacation” to Epcot on Sunday… I hate shopping.. hate shopping so much…. so I go to Walmart where things are inexpensive… I ended up getting some denim shorts, so I am hoping it is cool on Sunday, because denim is hot and it was all I could find that fit..

The trip, itself, is a victory for me, as I had too much hip pain before surgery and then 5 surgeries last year for my left hip. This is the first time I will be challenged…. I want to be able to walk the park with my husband, son, and daughter-in-law, not ride in a wheelchair.

Icky feeling day for me… tomorrow will be better, I hope. You, however , make icky days better and uplifting. Thank you.

Taryl March 8, 2014 at 2:31 am

I’ve been using the crockpot so much more this past year. I realized, postpartum with my 4th baby, that I just didn’t have the energy by the time we hit dinner to stand and cook. I’d be up at night nursing, doing homeschool during the day, cleaning, you name it, and was just toast. So putting dinner on when I still had energy seemed like a great solution.

Now I’d say 5 of 7 meals per week are from the crockpot for the family (I’m the only low carber so my food is made separately), and then we have a pizza night and leftovers. It works fabulously for me and I’m building quite a repertoire of recipes I love for this. Some days/occasions/seasons I do more ‘normal’ cooking, but weekend batch cooking and crockpot dinners are becoming more of a staple the more kids I have and the more busy we get. It is easier on our budget and waistlines when I plan the time and meals well 🙂
Taryl recently posted..A peptalk to myself.My Profile

Steelers6 March 8, 2014 at 4:32 am

I really liked that clip you put on about the artist. That was really moving. Wow. Makes ya think.
And I’m so happy for you for losing some more pounds! Yay!
Chrissy

robin March 10, 2014 at 10:21 am

So on pinterest they have tons of crock pot recipes I think theres even one lady who cooked in hers every day for a year, check it out.

Anneli March 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I had an inspiration this week that I think you might relate to. I had a lot of minor-ish health problems as a kid—much too tall, too heavy, crooked teeth, bad eye-sight, asthma, allergies, later–acne and PCOS. The result of this I realized is that I just don’t really like my body very much. In fact, I feel somewhat betrayed by it. It’s difficult for me to see my (really quite healthy) body as the gift that it is. I was reflecting on all the things that Christ has done for me. Of course he atoned for my sins, but He also paid the price for all the hardship and unfairness and hurts of life–big and small. He did this so I can be free and happy–now as well as in the eternities. This life is the time to have challenges. Well, I’ve had a few, but because of Christ I DON’T NEED TO FEEL BADLY ABOUT THEM. I really can love my past self and be as happy as I want to be now–flaws and all. God Bless and keep it up!!!!

Susan March 12, 2014 at 1:26 am

Susan’s Day 4 of 30 Day Challenge

Start 3/8/14 welcome
Beautiful scripture message today. Congrats on the weight loss and your crock pot bonanza. Enjoying others challenge check in. Jo congrats on the exercise inspiration. Like Paula (hope you have a great vacation) – I don’t have a blog. I’m not brave enough to share it all with the world. I’m glad you are Holly. It has made me ask myself some soul searching questions in the lessons you have given. Thanks

Drink a minimum of 30 ounces water every day – done
Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day – will do air bike before bed
Love myself where I am and plan to meet my challenge – done
Clean house for 30 minutes each day – missed this didabout 15 minutes
Overcome my craving to eat before bed – done 8p cut off
Use MyFitnessPal everyday to log my food – done
Eat more whole unprocessed foods – steamed brown rice, fruit, trail mix, beef & broccoli

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 12, 2014 at 10:13 pm

GO Susan!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing what you are doing. SO proud of you!!