Day 3–30/30 Challenge

March 6, 2014 in Uncategorized

1.  30 Crockpot Meals in 30 Days

So enough of me pretending I can invent recipes.  It’s not my thing!  However cooking has been an issue for me because a lot of times I don’t recognize the ingredients or I don’t know how to do things required (like crush garlic or whatever one is asked to do sometimes).

Cooking is a very math-y side of the brain thing if you ask me.

That’s why I have always resorted to fast, easy and usually bad for you things like take out.

But I’m really trying to stretch myself here while hopefully still keeping it simple.

Today we made Taco Meat in the slow cooker using a recipe I found at Rubies and Radishes blog

She also has a book I downloaded to my Kindle called “Easy Paleo Slow Cooker Meals”

Considering the book was only 2.99 that was a good deal!

I’m not “Paleo” per se but I find it to be very in the general realm of how I eat.  So I’m leaning more and more towards some of their recommendations.

I knew there was no way I could go wrong with taco meat and after 2 days of so-so recipes, the kids were ready for something good!

I actually eat taco meat without the beans/tortilla all the time but making it in the crockpot IS new to me.

I hadn’t thought of that as a possibility and I like it.

I actually haven’t made this in awhile when in fact I should be making it ALL the time. I should have it stocked up.  It is a perfect food for me.  I can add sour cream, shredded cheese, pico, salsa, avocado and put it in a lettuce wrap.  I almost never get tired of this and it’s wonderfully low carb and filling.  So I stocked up and will have this throughout the week.

It’s kind of weird how I temporarily forget the major foods/meals that keep me on track.  This is something I could eat daily and never get bored with.  It’s easy, quick and satisfying.   So happy my amnesia is gone and this meal is back!

photo-18 photo 1-2 photo 2-2

2.  30 Minutes of Bible Study for 30 Days

Jeremiah 18:1-4  was the basis of what I studied today.

God told Jeremiah, “Up on your feet! Go to the potter’s house. When you get there, I’ll tell you what I have to say.”

So I went to the potter’s house, and sure enough, the potter was there, working away at his wheel. Whenever the pot the potter was working on turned out badly, as sometimes happens when you are working with clay, the potter would simply start over and use the same clay to make another pot.

What I notice the most about this passage is that the potter DID NOT….DID NOT….DID NOT….throw OUT the clay when it didn’t turn out like He wanted. Instead he simply started over WITH THE SAME EXACT PIECE OF CLAY and began forming it again.

This is a really big deal to me because how many times in life do we feel like we’ve screwed up one too many times?

How many times do we feel like we can’t recover from our last setback or that we are even beyond help?

God made a point to include this story to let us know that while we may go astray in our life…He does NOT toss us out.

He always works with the same piece of clay (US!) and He has no problems at all with helping us to be reshaped and reformed into the perfect Image of His Love!

To go along with this scripture, there was a great Joel Osteen message called “Damaged Goods”

And we are NOT damaged goods.

Some of us may look damaged to the world…

You think people didn’t chalk me up as “damaged goods” when I weighed 417 pounds??

Yep…plenty of them did

And maybe in some way we feel damaged on the inside too

But to God, we are precious and loved treasures.

He looks at us with the Potter’s eyes and sees nothing but potential, hope and love!

He never throws us aside.   He is always there ready and waiting!

3.  30 Minutes of walking/jogging for 30 Days

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and advice!

Beth (my sister in law) also talked me down via text this morning and reminded me that it’s all about progress and NOT perfection!!

She suggested I try a different jogging routine that will help me build up to it instead of wiping myself out on the first day!

This is after all the “slow and steady” challenge..right?

She sent me these pictures with some encouragement and I had to share them with you!!

photo-4

photo 4

photo 2

photo 5

photo 3

My sister in law is kind of awesome.  I can’t remember if I ever told you that she broke her back and literally taught herself to walk again.

That is how she got into exercise actually by literally using it as a way to heal herself!!

She’s crazy amazing and she has inspired a lot of people to turn to a healthy lifestyle!

You can follow her on twitter if you want @Bethtrains4life to get the same kind of encouragement she gives me

If you want to meet my sister in law here’s a quick video of her describing how she became a personal trainer

SO…..Today I gave myself a break from the jogging as I’m still sore.

I walked 30 minutes on the treadmill and tomorrow I will add back in some jogging.

Still a win!

4.  30 Minutes of Cleaning for 30 Days

I was struggling with this category a lot until I found this awesome challenge 40 Bags in 40 Days! over at the White House Black Shutters blog.

join the decluttering revolution! Challenge yourself to simplify and get rid of 40 bags in 40 days. #40bagsin40days

Basically, everyone is decluttering areas of their house with this challenge.

You can join her closed (private) Facebook group where people post their before and after pictures.

After seeing other people’s photos I felt like crying because I knew I wasn’t the only clutter bug in the world!

Housecleaning and organizing is something I really struggle with.  It is easily one of my top three issues in life!!

This morning a woman in the group posted a message saying that she had mistakenly posted on her regular Facebook page the post she meant for the closed decluttering group.  In it she had talked about how she was both depressed and sitting in a messy house.  Now this is totally what everyone else in the decluttering group is posting BUT she had posted it to her main Facebook page.  She said now she was more depressed than ever because all her family and friends would know she was both depressed and messy!!

SO many people replied to her with “Don’t worry!! I’m depressed and messy too!” that it was overwhelming.  It made me realize we are NOT alone.  Some of us out there struggle with these things. So there you go! I am a procrastinator.  I also just have a really hard time knowing where to start it seems.

Since this challenge is helping me so much AND because I just know….(HOPE)…that there are others out there in the same boat….I am going to post my before and after pics from today.

I set my timer and all of this took me exactly 30 Minutes.   It’s not perfect but it’s better!!

IMG_2368

IMG_2378

IMG_2381

IMG_2384

photo-21

And here is Bag #1  of the 40 Bags in 40 Days Challenge!

photo-19

Bet y’all didn’t know just how messy I really am!

Are you totally scared off now?

And YOU thought EATING was my biggest problem!!

5.  Daily Blogging for 30 days!

Done!

Now…..How are YOU?

Melanie March 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm

That looks delicious! I’m going to have to try that this weekend! Thanks to your inspiration, I did 5 minutes on the elliptical before my regular workout.
Melanie recently posted..30/30 Challenge: Day 3My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 6:47 pm

woo hoo!!!! I have a really tough time with the elliptical so that is awesome!!!!

melanie March 6, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Thanks Holly! The elliptical has been my ultimate goal for cardio workout but my issues with my knees and back have always held me up. I am hoping to add that 5 minutes to my regular routine and hopefully, with time, increase it.
melanie recently posted..30/30 Challenge: Day 3My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm

This is the best method I think. I have found that adding in a minute here and there helps me to get incrementally better without feeling overwhelmed. I just have to remember to do this myself!! I also have had knee issues and the recumbent bike helps so much for it.

Suzy March 6, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Ha your messy doesn’t even touch what I consider my somewhat neat! Depressed and messy is me for sure! But I joined the challenge and am getting there – slowly and surely. Here is a link to a crockpot recipe site – she now has real books, but most of the recipes that I have tried from her site have been real winners http://crockpot365.blogspot.com – she cooked in her crockpot for one year (so not all the recipes are dinner meals, but all are gluten free which I need).

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Oh this is awesome. Thank you Suzy!!!

Beth March 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Do not let perfect be the enemy of good! I love that your sister-in-law is encouraging you in that way. Also, I SO need to declutter. I should do the 30 minute thing.
Beth recently posted..Ten Things Thursday…ala Laura BelleMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I have not heard that before regarding perfect and the enemy of good. Love it! Thank you!!!

Katie March 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I find decluttering overwhelming but it feels so good when it’s done. I like the way you tackled specific areas, I need to do that!!

Congrats on getting to the gym again. Getting up and moving is the main thing – not how far you run. After all, just because someone CAN run a marathon does not mean they do it every day. You are wise to listen to your body and know the difference between pain that could lead to injury versus the ache of a workout that makes your body strong.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm

That is true! I hadn’t thought of it that way. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should every single day! Thanks Katie!

Jess March 6, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Oh, Holly – you are SO not alone! What a great idea about the clutter. And I’m sure there are many of us who have more than 40 bags of “stuff” to get rid of. Keep it up!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Thank you Jess!!

Jo March 6, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Hi Holly, reporting in – I completed my exercise for day 3. I was reading some of your old posts and smiled when I read “Get your exercise in early before your brain knows what you’re doing” So I was all done before breakfast. I did and extra 15mins. yesterday afternoon. I see your pounds lost on your side bar is going up again, so kudos to you. I have lots of things I would like to add but I know it’s a lot for you to read so I will report back tomorrow.

Lori March 6, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I have been focusing on one specific room in my house at a time. Cleaning the whole house can be overwhelming and it feels impossible. But if I fully focus on one room and not get distracted by what is in another room, I’ll get that room spic & span. It motivates me to get to room #2 before room #1 gets messed up again.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Trim Healthy Mama Review #1My Profile

Dawnya March 6, 2014 at 7:38 pm

The scripture about the potter is one of my favs. There is a gospel song we used to sing at my home church. Here are the lyrics. It has always been a very powerful song in my life.

In case you have fallen by the wayside of life
Dreams and visions shattered, you are broken inside
You don’t have to stay in the shape that you’re in
The Potter wants to put you back together again
Oh, the Potter wants to put you back together again.

In case your situation has turned upside down
And all that you’ve accomplished is now on the ground
You don’t have to stay in the shape that you’re in
The Potter wants to put you back together again
Oh, the Potter wants to put you back together again.

If you are broken stop by the Potter’s House
If you need mending stop by the Potter’s House
He’ll fill the presence of your broken life
My friend the Potter wants to put you back together again. Oh the Potter want to put you back together again

Joy, in the potter’s house
Joy in the potter’s house

Peace, in the potter’s house
Peace, in the potter’s house

Love, in the potter’s house
Love, in the potter’s house

There is salvation in the potter’s house
There is salvation in the potter’s house

Everything you need, in the potter’s house
Everything you need, in the potter’s house

Because the Potter wants to put you back together again
Oh, the potter wants to put you back together again

You are doing reat on your challenge. Keep up the good work Holly. You are truly an inspiration to me and so many others.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Oh thank you Dawnya!!! That is just AWESOME!! I’m going to check this out on youtube and see if i can find it. Thanks!

Paula March 6, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I love the Bible chapters you share.. they give me specific direction and encouragement. I am not, however, giving up my Unplugged study, as I am trying to get away from perfectionism and trying to make imperfect progress.

I cleaned the kitchen… for me that is a big deal because I have to take a rest break in the middle.

I get to babysit some 6 month old twins today.. a true joy to my heart, as none of my children, (boy/girl twins at 29 and son at 34,) have graced me with a grandbaby yet. I can’t do something for everyone, but I can do something for one person…. she is a single mom, and the babies, (also boy/girl twins,) wear her out. I love having them any time I can, especially because my husband loves me enough that he helps me so I don’t get too weary. It is a ministry area that we are specifically and maybe uniquely (in our church home,) equipped to handle, as we have been there and done that. I guess that doesn’t have much to do with the 30/30, but I think it will be my exercise today. On the days the twins come I sleep like a ton of bricks… I am hoping to get rid of the sleeping pills soon..

Sorry, I ramble… I think of you with gratitude and pray for you daily…

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Thank you Paula. I really appreciate that! I wonder if Unplugged is from the same author as Unglued. I will check it out because it sounds great. Terrific job on the kitchen! I have gotten back into my routine of doing the dishwasher in the morning and at night. It’s way too easy for me to let things pile up. I so get the stress of the kitchen so great job! And taking care of 6 month old twins IS exercise!! My youngest are a year and a half apart so they’re not twins but often have felt like it at times especially when they were babies. I want to thank you on behalf of all single Moms for offering your time to babysit a single mom’s kids. I can’t even begin to tell you what this means to her I am sure. Honestly this is something that a lot of people may not even think to offer a single Mom and actually that little bit of time to herself could mean the world. I just so admire you for this and appreciate it so much.

Paula March 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm

You made me cry… I deal with bipolar depression, and while I am level virtually all the time, I still don’t like going out of my house. I know that I cannot do something for a bunch of people, but my ministry is to do something for 3 people.. 2 little ones and their mom… God has greatly blessed me.

PaulaMP March 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I have found the best thing of all for decluttering is to watch Hoarders. It works for me every time, also for my Mom and quite a few friends. Trust me, you will be filling up bags for charity or trash like crazy.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 9:57 pm

OH hahaha I will try this!!

Christine March 6, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I love tacos, and even better I love left overs! Your doing great!
Christine recently posted..old habits die hard (SSW2D4)My Profile

Leah March 6, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Oh if you could only see my closets and car port. Good thing we are in the country lol.
Yesterday for day three I did 20 minutes total of exercise, not what I wanted but I’m ok with it. I tried a Denise Austin tape but didn’t realize how cardio intense it was and a lot of jumping. Then we (my 12 year old daughter and I) did 10ish minutes of a Bollywood workout I found on tv. That was alot of fun and we will do it again.
But- I cleaned my house for about 40 minutes. It felt great. Your before and afters of cleaning looked amazing.
I know it’s only 3 days into your challenge and I am sure blogging everyday is hard for you but I want to thank you for this challenge. It has thrown even more accountability into my new journey of no more excuses. I am also really loving the bible verses and stories you are including. Seems everyone is spot on for the that days challenge.

Cindy R March 7, 2014 at 12:27 am

Your house doesn’t look bad to me, just a bit messy and normal. Looks great afterward! I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot and it is delicious. I peel one potato, cut about 3 carrots into pieces, slice up an onion and a few mushrooms. I put the vegetables on the bottom. Then I season both sides of the chicken with paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and squeeze some lemon juice into the chicken cavity. I place the chicken breast side down over the veggies and cook for about six hours or so on high. The meat falls off the bones and is delicious. If your children want more flavor they can pour some barbeque sauce on theirs. I use the left over chicken on salads, mixed with brown rice and a bit of tomato sauce, chicken tacos, enchiladas, etc. It is a tasty, easy recipe.

Anneli March 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Love your posts!! Thanks especially for the Bible insights. I’ve recommended your blog to a lot of people for inspiration.
God Bless!
Anneli

Steelers6 March 7, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Well done on the 30 min tidy. You inspire. Today I keep seeing the “hot spots” around my house and thinking I need to set that timer for 30 min & tackle. You’re in my head. haha

Before I started writing our meals down on a calendar I printed, I kept menu ideas/dishes in my phone. Just a running list of things we make around here. Then if I totally hit a slump, [or forgot about tacos!] I can just refer to my list for inspiration.

And now I must go have my butt kicked by Jillian Michaels. Happy weekend, Holly.
Chrissy

Cathy Jones March 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

The winter months can be hard. Wrong food choices, no exercising, and clutter galore! Oh how I yearn for spring! Walking in the sunshine, spring cleaning and better food choices are starting today! Thanks Holly!

Susan March 11, 2014 at 3:43 am

Susan’s Day 3 of 30 Day Challenge

Start 3/8/14 welcome
Holly those taco lettuce wraps looked so good. Joel Osteen is always so uplifting. Take off the damaged goods label to see God’s favor. We limit ourselves – God can have a plan for us so much bigger than we can imagine. I bet you never imagined how much you would help people through your blog. There are so many – like me that have been inspired – and quietly read your words. I know your goal (like most of us readers) is to lose the weight and be healthier. Your words made me also want to grow my relationship with God.

My hobbie is pottery. My niece and I took classes from a master potter at the local community college. Still like biblical times we don’t throw out that clay. We save it and reshape it to become a better pot. Sometimes your message is spot on for me. Dawnya’s hymn was inspiring too. I found a video of the hymn

I get the messy house. I hate cleaning. If Hubby or I have a 911 emergency – I swear I’m just gonna drag him out to the yard :). I have to force myself to do the weekly chores. That’s why I added it to my challenge. If I can develope a “habit” of daily exercise and cleaning – I swear my life would change.

Your brother and sister-in-law seem awesome! I am selfishly loving that a DAILY blog is on your challenge list. Here is challenge list for today.

Drink a minimum of 30 ounces water every day – done
Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day – walked an hour with my Buddy
Love myself where I am and plan to meet my challenge – done
Clean house for 30 minutes each day – garbage night (tossed the old stuff in the frig)g
Overcome my craving to eat before bed – done 8:06pm
Use MyFitnessPal everyday to log my food – done
Eat more whole unprocessed foods – oatmeal, homemade veggie soup

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 12, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Thank you Susan. This was so great to hear!