30/30 Challenge–Day One

March 4, 2014 in Uncategorized

Day 1 of the 30/30 Challenge

1. 30 New Crockpot Meals for the Next 30 Days

We tried Buffalo Chicken in the crockpot.   I just threw in some chicken breasts with Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce poured on it.  I diluted it by adding half a cup of water because it is still a bit spicy for me.  This was literally just a concoction that I dreamed up given what we had in the cabinet.  I have discovered Frank’s sauces have no carbs and no sugar so I am pretty excited about using it more often.

To be truthful, the liquid is not something that sticks to the chicken so I’m not sure cooking it this way was that great of an idea.  It mostly tasted like baked chicken.  After we were done cooking it, we took Frank’s Hot Sauce and mixed it with Ranch salad dressing then used that as a dip.  It was totally awesome!!  Next time I will just cook the chicken by itself and then make the sauce as a dip.

Kids gave it two thumbs up!

photo-15

2. 30 Minutes of walking/jogging for the next 30 Days

I decided that I probably had it in me to run a total of about 3 minutes to start with.

My ultimate goal was to be able to run 30 straight minutes without stopping although I doubted I would reach this by day 30.

On day ONE of this experiment, I was truly SHOCKED at what happened!!!

Day 1 Video—Before I went into the gym

AFTER THE GYM!!

My total time running straight through without stopping!

Yes it was a mostly 20 minute mile pace but “slow and steady”, right?!

photo-3

3.   30 minutes of Bible Study for the next 30 Days

I read John 5:1-9 where Jesus heals the lame man by the pool.  Usually when I hear this story, people talk about it from the angle of “excuses”.

They always say things like:

This man was sick for 38 years and all he did was lay around near the pool not even trying to get healed!

All this man does is complain that too many people are in his way so he can’t get in the pool!

All this man does is make excuses about how no one will help him get in the pool!

I think every message I’ve ever heard on this passage blames the man for making excuses and assumes that he wasn’t even trying!

Today I read this passage from the Life Recovery Bible (which is great for anyone that has a food addiction and/or other addiction as it gives commentary from that viewpoint) and they had a totally different perspective on this story.

What if the truth is that this man was doing the best he could at the time??

He literally was unable to walk so unless someone physically helped him  into the pool–he couldn’t get in!

Now was that an excuse?

I mean, the guy couldn’t walk…ok??

But he still willingly drug himself as far as he could ON HIS OWN to get there.

And he kept trying even after 38 years.

Even though no one would help him into the pool and in fact  pushed past him not even caring that he needed help.

But year after year, he kept trying to get as close as he could to the “cure”

Yet due to his condition, he could only drag himself as far as he could.

And if that was all he could do…he did it!

He “camped out as near as he could to a place where there was hope of recovery

Then one day Jesus showed up and healed him.

But in the meantime—he did what he could do on his own—no matter how small.

I happen to like this viewpoint of the story.

How many times in MY life when I weighed 417 pounds did people look at me and say  “EXCUSES!”

I could barely walk.

When I took my kids to the pool, I also “camped out” as close as I could without going in.

Because I couldn’t have gotten in without serious assistance.

I most certainly could not have ever gotten out again without a pulley system as I could not get up the ladder.

The best I could do was sit on the sidelines.

People had NO CLUE how much effort I had to put forth just to do that much.

It was extremely hard to even GET to the sidelines because I could barely walk or breathe.

And even then….good luck getting into a chair that wouldn’t break!

But others looked at me for years and thought I didn’t try at all.

That I didn’t even CARE.

I was just full of excuses.

Like that lame man by the pool…right?

Just hanging out complaining and making excuses??

The opposite was true.

Even when I was binge eating and miserable, I still CARED.

I still tried everything.

I tried diets and books and pills.

I failed almost every day BUT  I kept searching for answers.

For decades, I prayed and searched for answers.

And one day, I finally got some light in the darkness.

It’s still  not all rainbows over here BUT the healing has begun.

All those years I was super obese were NOT years of just doing nothing.

I cared.  I searched. I tried.  And I wasn’t making excuses.

Like that man from John 5….I was trying to drag myself as close to help as I could on my own.

It didn’t look like much to anyone observing but believe me….I was trying to find freedom!!

And that’s what we have to keep doing.

If we can’t run, we can walk.

If we can’t walk, we can crawl.

We can do 30 seconds at a time.

We can do 1 second at a time.

It doesn’t matter how long it takes.

We ARE trying.

Like that lame man by the pool—keep holding on and waiting for your miracle.

Do what you can and then believe hope will come

And there is hope coming!

4. 30 Minutes of Cleaning for the next 30 days

My desk was so cluttered, I could not find the printer!!  It’s looking much better now!!  I organized it and now it will be much more inviting! I set the timer for 30 minutes and quit when the time was up.  I will continue on tomorrow!

5.  Blog daily for the next 30 days

Here I am blogging away…so I accomplished that too!

DAY ONE DONE!

So how are YOU?

Karen P March 4, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Holly, Keep going!!! My crockpot from the 1980’s died last week. I’ll be buying a new one this week. I batch cook in the crockpot a lot… it’s a life saver for making non-processed meals.

Take care and keep going…. I know you will. 🙂
Karen P recently posted..2 year, 1 month weight maintenance updateMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Wow that crockpot lasted a long time, Karen!!

Jane t. March 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm

That IS crazy…crazy GREAT!! Awesome, Holly. I underestimate my physical abilities, too. Sometimes I think we can limit ourselves by not trying..good reminder!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Jane!! You are so right. If we don’t try, we will never know!

Luka Beth March 4, 2014 at 2:12 pm

does making a meal (like Chili) that can last for several days count? 🙂

Are you looking for recipes for solid meals, or do you want to also experiment with soups/stews?
Luka Beth recently posted..#blechMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I’m up for anything Luka! Mostly I try to stick with low carb meals. I will take all suggestions!

Melanie March 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Great job on Day 1 and thanks again for the inspiration. I have been only doing the recumbent bike at the gym because I am afraid that my body can’t handle the elliptical or the treadmill. I think it is time to push myself and see what I can do, Wednesday night I will give one of them a shot!
Melanie recently posted..30/30 Challenge: Day 1My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Way to go Melanie!! I can’t wait to hear how it goes!

Melissa Nabors March 4, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love doing chicken this way – first cook the chicken and shred it in the crockpot then add the sauce. great option!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Melissa!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

LHA March 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Great blog today as always! Here is a something I just made in my crockpot last night, vegetable soup. I start with half V-8 juice (or tomato juice if you prefer) and half water. Add in as much stew beef or other beef cut into small chunks as you want to, add a couple of stalks of chopped celery, half an onion diced, and about half of a small cabbage, chopped. Then add whatever low carb vegetables you want to. I add green beans, yellow squash sliced, okra and a can of stewed tomatoes. I know the stewed tomatoes have some sugar so you could use diced instead. Sometimes I add just a few chopped tiny carrots, peas, lima beans or other higher carb vegetables depending on how strict I need to be. I season mine with salt, pepper and a little fajita seasoning. I cook on low for about 10 hours. This makes a lot and I freeze some of it in small containers and take it with me to work for lunch or dinner. Those family members who are not following low carb can have sandwiches or cornbread with it. This makes a pretty hearty meal, and the more meat you add the higher protein it is. Keep up the good work!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Thanks! This sounds easy too. I am totally going to add this into my list of things to try. I wonder if V-8 has sugar in it. I will check it out. Thanks again!

LHA March 5, 2014 at 4:57 am

One more thought, Holly. At one time I had some great low carb cookbooks by Dana Carpender and I believe she has one for slow cookers. Look on Amazon if you are interested. The recipes of hers that I have used were really tasty!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Ok great! I will check out that book right away!

Joanna March 4, 2014 at 4:07 pm

You are such an inspiration! And I’m so excited to read something new from you every day! Chicken tortilla soup is one of my crockpot favorites.

Good luck!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Thank you Joanna!!!

Christine March 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Great day Hollie! That is so awesome that you surprised yourself with the running!
Christine recently posted..Emotional Sunday Recap (SSW2D2)My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Christine!

Paula March 4, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Holly, I do understand.. I have lost over 100 pounds three different times, not to mention the times that I lost 80, or 50 etc. Each time I would gain a couple of pounds, look at the scale, say I am going to do better tomorrow, and then spiral down. This is something that I have to beat; I have an appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow to discuss the results of the electrocardiogram, echocardiogram and the mri. I also have a sleep study next week.

I have had lapband and vertical sleeve surgery, and right now I am trying to limit my food to 1 cup per meal, which seems like a lot, but when it is on the plate, it isn’t. I know I don’t get enough protein, and I am having a constant battle with reflux.

So, I do truly get it. I am going to start your 30 day challenge today, except walking, (hip replacement means no running,) and no crock pot, since I am home to cook every day. My problem is that I have cronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, so it is so easy to use them as an excuse, but if I exercised, it might help these things.

About the cleaning, I have had great success using FlyLady.net. (Fly means finally loving yourself.) Her website is http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/31-beginner-babysteps/
I am so glad you are back.. you are a great inspiration to me!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Hi Paula! I am praying for your appointment tomorrow with the cardiologist. Please let me know how it goes. Thanks for sharing your struggles. I wish we did not have to struggle but it is so encouraging to know we are not alone in these things. To deal with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia is no joke. I know that has to be tough. The fact that you are still working at things in spite of those hardships really inspires me. What excuse do I have then?! Thanks Paula!! You are awesome!! Oh and I LOVE flylady. I just need to restart again!

Paula March 4, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Just have to be careful that the chronic fatigue and fibro don’t become excuses.

Paula March 5, 2014 at 10:19 pm

HOORAYYYYYYYYYY! (Was that shout loud enough?) Got back from the cardiologist, and although the ekg showed a little heart attack some time in the past, the echocardiogram and the stress test showed nothing abnormal. They gave me a clean slate and an appointment for next year, then the PA gave me a big hug and I cried from relief for a moment. The usual… exercise and clean diet, which I think has got to be the ongoing rule of the house. I am about to be 60, (I know.. I don’t look 60… I only look 59 and 9/12ths) and I cannot continue to worry about something that I could be taking care of. So, again, HALLELUJAH!!

I didn’t have luck with all my goals today, because it is cold rain here in Florida, and I don’t have the fortitude you have to walk even in the rain. I will finish my Bible reading later tonight and I think that makes a pretty successful day.

I am in this with you 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 12:00 am

Oh this is such AWESOME news!!!!!!! I am so overjoyed for you!! I totally love the 59 and 9/12ths. Going to use that! You honestly had a long day so I don’t blame you for staying inside and not getting in the rain! Way to go on this great day and I’m so glad we are in this together!

Leah March 4, 2014 at 6:58 pm

You are doing great! Keep going.

Yesterday I did my elliptical for 21 minutes 1 more minute than last time. And I resisted my husbands birthday wingstop meal and had just a very small lick of frosting from the birthday cake knife.

I’d love to do a crockpot meal but am unsure of if it can run for 8+ hours without liquid being added?

Lynne March 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

FYI- the crockpot pulls liquid out of everything, so there will be more than when you start.

Leah March 4, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Lynne- thank you! I am almost 40 years old and didn’t know that. To funny.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I didn’t know that either!!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Lynne March 5, 2014 at 12:42 am

But every time you take the cover off, a lot of steam/liquid escapes.

Tori March 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post…..really hits home for me. I’ll have to look for the Life Recovery Bible to help me get a better understanding of things. And I’ll have to look in to the 30 challenge….
Tori recently posted..Labels…..My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Thanks Tori!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Samantha @ 24 to 30 March 4, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Great job Holly! The chicken/Frank’s red hot is something I make frequently because my boys can eat it on sandwiches and I can eat it by itself. I also do the same thing often with salsa. Keep up the good work!
Samantha @ 24 to 30 recently posted..My Son’s Birth StoryMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I love salsa chicken too!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Margie Jacobson March 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Hi Holly. Way to go girl! I have been following you for about 2 months now. I would like to know your recipes for the 30 day crock pot. Where are you getting them?

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I am just googling low carb low sugar. I look on Pinterest and other blogs. So far I have been experimenting but I am going to start following some tried and true recipes bc I’m not much of a cook!!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Shelley March 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Holly, you have no idea how much you help people and how much you have helped me!! God sure has a purpose for you!! I just had my sleeve 3 weeks ago tomorrow and am doing well (down 29 lbs) but I think I have been trying to advance my diet too rapidly and yesterday I started “grazing” and it terrified me! I identify with you so much!! Your video about “just wanting it to be finished” and not something we have to struggle with every day is exactly how I feel! I have GOT to accept that it will never be over until we go to heaven!! Also, I just ordered that Recovery Bible that you mentioned, because besides turning to food, I love having a glass of wine which leads to another, etc, etc. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your struggles with us! You are my HERO!! And if you don’t have time to answer, that’s ok. When you said you read all the posts, it meant alot! I’ve been saying prayers for you and all of us that have turned to something other than God to fill the void in our hearts. My Bible study in the morning is my favorite thing in the world!! You keep up the awesome work and congratulations on your running!! “We can do all things through Him who gives us strength”!!!!! Blessings to you!! Shelley

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Oh Shelley thank you!! This meant SOO much to me. You have no idea how much it means to hear from others. It helps me so much in my own struggles. So I see we are sleeve sisters too!! I had my sleeve 2 years ago. I understand the fears you have very well. It will be ok! 29 Lbs is just awesome! I am praying for you!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Paula March 5, 2014 at 10:22 pm

from another sleeve sister.. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me… The problem with being a living sacrifice is that I keep crawling off the altar, so I am working on that.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Oh that’s good Paula!

Jo March 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I haven’t commented before but I’ve been reading your blog for a while. I would like to participate in your 30 day challenge. I just haven’t been able to motivate myself into exercising during this horrible winter. But today I did 20 mins. and thought if I committed to do that every day for the 30 day challenge it would be an big step forward and out of the winter doldrums. Then maybe I could get the diet back on track. Congratulations on your 30 min. run. I’m looking forward to a new blog from you every day, you’re so inspiring.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Thank you Jo!! Terrific job on the 20 minutes!!! That is just awesome!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Lynne March 4, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Holly – thank you for your wonderful ideas and inspiration. I’m feeling ‘back on track’ and looking to your blog for an extra boost 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Thank you Lynne!! You are all my boost as well!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge–Day OneMy Profile

Anna March 5, 2014 at 2:46 am

Whoa, I am so proud of you running for a half an hour like that! GREAT JOB!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Thank you Anna!

Susan Johnson March 5, 2014 at 3:32 am

Holly,
I’ve been reading your blogs for over a year now and you have inspired me along with many others on our secret FB support site (I share your blog). I also share this weird set of character traits that you talk about, i.e. lack of motivation, procrastination, etc. and am fighting the fight to progress past these things into the abundant life that God has for me. God bless you for your honesty, candor and transparency. Wish we lived close together so we could meet for coffee. 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thank you for sharing my blog and I’m so glad to know I’m not alone in my weird character traits!!! ROFL !! I would SO be up for coffee if you make it to Texas!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge Day TwoMy Profile

Chrissy March 5, 2014 at 4:33 am

So like do you have 30 hours in your day, chica? Haha You are jam packing your day! I hope you aren’t overdoing it with the goals; they all sound great.
Something new that I started this year is trying to plan out my menus a bit better. I printed a calendar, and write them down, even if it’s *after* having made the meal. That way I can potentially repeat that weekly meal plan later. Well that’s the hope anyway. It’s steps toward having an organized meal plan. I had just felt so uncreative, so bored; I think this is helping me. Today I made a ground turkey-heavy-on-the-veggies chili, and was surprised to see that it’s the first I’ve made it this year, bc I thought I make it a lot. It’s been interesting. I like to utilize the slow cooker too. Not sure I really have any recipes that would really fit your low carb plan though. But if I do, I’ll share.

Total wtg on the treadmill today! Gosh.
Blessings, buddy.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Chrissy! I should plan out all my meals for the next 30 days like that. It’s a very good idea. Preplanning and organizing? Yes! It is in my nature to procrastinate but honestly this would be a much smarter way to go! That veggie chili sounds good!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge Day TwoMy Profile

Lee March 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Great job on Day 1! For the buffalo chicken, I would recommend adding a packet of ranch seasoning when you start to cook and taking the chicken out about an hour before it’s done and shredding it with 2 forks. It makes it seem like so much more food and lasts for a while, and it really absorbs the sauce. We love it at our house!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

oooo this is a great idea!!!!

Susan March 9, 2014 at 1:05 am

Susan’s Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge – welcome
Really enjoying the web sites and recipes. I have over 100 ponds to lose so your blog has inspired me. I hope the 30 day challenge helps me find that proverbial track.
Drink a minimum of 30 ounces water every day – done
Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day – done rode Marci air bike
Love myself where I am and plan to meet my challenge – done
Clean house for 30 minutes each day – done – frig & kitchen
Overcome my craving to eat before bed – done 7:30 last food
Use MyFitnessPal everyday to log my food – done (2/23 was last login)
Eat more whole unprocessed foods – done – oats, fresh fruit, squash