30/30 Challenge

March 3, 2014 in Uncategorized

Today I am starting a March Challenge for myself and I’d love to have you join me if you like!!

Granted, I’m a little late in getting started because it’s March 3rd and not March 1st

BUT that is fine because the theme of this challenge is “Slow and Steady Wins the Race”

photo

And now we will just add in “Better late than never!!!”

photo.PNG-21

For this challenge, I will set goals to do for 30 Minutes daily for the next 30 days

Here are my personal goals

1. 30 New Crockpot Meals for the Next 30 Days

I personally do really well when my food plan consists of protein shakes during the day followed by a low carb dinner at night.  The problem is that I have a tendency to use the same 3 or 4 meals constantly which is actually fine for ME but very boring to my children.  If the children get too bored with meals, it leads to me sometimes falling into the bad habit of resorting back to the old recipes I can make easily but which do not meet the requirements of my food plan.  You know…hamburger helper…pizza…etc.   I also have discovered that the crockpot is brilliant for me.  If I set it up in the morning, I find that by dinner time when I might feel a little desperate I don’t have to worry. It’s already done.  I don’t even have to take the time to make dinner.  Sometimes those few minutes of me having to make dinner could lead to fast food.  This takes that out of the equation.  SO…I am going to make a new crockpot meal every night for the next 30 days.  By the end of these 30 days, we will have found some meals that we all like and can add into our routines.

2. 30 Minutes of walking/jogging for the next 30 Days

Ok this is going to be my BIG personal challenge.  The biggest one for me out of them all.   After 2 years, I still have not managed to really accomplish running  with any consistency.  I don’t enjoy it at all but it was one of my original goals and I will tell you why.  Every year I get on Facebook and see several of my friends heading to Disney to compete in a Half Marathon where they wear really cute princess or tinker bell outfits.  I told myself that THIS year I would do it.  But did I?? NOPE.  I completely threw that goal out the window.  At one point, I had finally allowed myself to run as slowly as I needed to even if I was literally running SLOWER than I could actually walk.  That was when a lightbulb went off in my head and I realized that I COULD run if I just allowed myself to go extremely slowly.  EMBARRASSINGLY slowly.  I also found that by doing this I was beginning to build up my stamina to where I could go a little further each day.  Once again the theme “slow and steady wins the race” is true.   It’s just allowing yourself to be slow and then reminding yourself to be STEADY, consistent and not quit.  But I did quit.  I gave up on running and I don’t even remember consciously doing it.  So I have decided to set for myself the following goal.  For the next 30 days, I will add back in running when I am on the treadmill.

I plan to dedicate 30 minutes every day to an experiment.  Each day I will run very slowly starting with at least 1 minute.  I am going to have to test myself today to see how long I can actually comfortably run at a slow pace.  Once I know that, it will be my starting point.  Every day I will add in a little more.  My goal is to eventually be able to run/jog for 30 straight minutes.  Now how close will I get to that by the end of the next 30 days….it’s a mystery! I can’t even imagine a world in which I could actually run for 30 straight minutes.  That would be a dream for me.  SO this will be a true experiment and adventure for me.  Every day I will post how many minutes of the 30 daily minutes involved running.

3.   30 minutes of Bible Study for the next 30 Days

I saw that Joyce Meyer has a 30/30 Challenge going on to study the Bible for 30 minutes daily.  I signed up for it here

Each day she sends out an email with some suggestions.  Signing up for this  actually inspired me to come up with some other 30/30 goals.  So I will add this in along with my other goals.  I really have no set plan on what I will study so it will be a mystery as to what I learn.  I do know that sometimes that is the best way to go about it. Join me if you like!

4. 30 Minutes of Cleaning for the next 30 days

I am still working at my mission to get better about decluttering/cleaning this house!!  I have things I really need to go through (like a pile of papers in a drawer that I need to organize for the taxes) and I would like to reorganize the kids closets.   I actually think this will be one of my hardest goals because I have a serious procrastination problem with things like this!!

5.  Blog daily for the next 30 days

My goal is to blog every single day for the next 30 days on how my challenge is going.  You may get tired of hearing about it!!  But it will keep me accountable.  If you want to leave me daily comments on how it’s going for you I would love to read them!!

So these are my goals.  If you would like to join me, please leave a comment letting me know what your goals are.  I would love to hear others goals.  If I had not already FINALLY gotten myself back into the drinking water habit then that would have been one of my goals. So if someone is looking for a goal try 30 oz of daily water for the next 30 days.  I am sure we can come up with tons of other ideas if anyone needs a suggestion!!

The overall principle behind this challenge is just to remind myself that making small daily changes is the driving force behind creating new habits.  I also truly believe that setting small goals is a way to make changes while still being nice to ourselves.  It is so hard when we pile pressure to change all at once.  Changing is NOT easy.  New habits are NOT easy.  We are the way we are for a reason.  Some habits and behaviors are deeply embedded into us.  They cannot be forced out in a day.  Our sheer desire to change is not enough.  We can WANT change but that still will not be enough to make it happen.  What helps us is patience and perseverance.  We must understand that we need TIME.

Do not overwhelm yourself.  Simply pick small goals and then work at them a little every day.   If 30 minutes is too much for you….do 30 seconds.  THAT is still enough.

If you need a little inspiration to believe that even 30 seconds daily can help you make changes then watch this clip of my brother who gave a short talk on how he became an ACE Certified personal trainer by starting with 30 seconds of walking when he weighed almost 500 pounds.  Even though I know my brother (well…obviously!) and even though I followed this plan myself—I still watched him talking about it with new inspiration.  I think a part of me had forgotten just how hard it was in the beginning to breathe much less walk.  It is good to remind myself of these things.  Start small!

I don’t know if you all remember this…but I started about a month ago trying to get back on track after having a good 6 month setback.

By instituting small changes into my daily routines, I have made a lot of progress over the last month.

But I won’t lie.  I have had some setbacks in the last month as well.  And that depresses me because I don’t WANT a setback.

I can’t dwell on it though.  Sometimes for me it really is about 3 steps forward, 2 steps back

AND THEN KEEP GOING

We can’t dwell on setbacks. We don’t have time for that.  We can only just move forward.  One step at a time.

My brother said in this video it’s not about having to be extraordinary.

It’s about ORDINARY THINGS DONE DAILY

But what I need is others along the way showing me that we can do this if we just step out in faith and don’t give up.

So would you join me this month?  It doesn’t matter to me what goals you choose.

30 Seconds of something for the next 30 days is enough!

Just make your goals and if you don’t reach them every day…try again the next day!!

You are a winner in my book for just getting out of bed and making the effort!

At the end of the next 30 days (so somewhere along April 3rd)  I would like to feature 5 people on my blog who could send me a guest post about this challenge.  It can involve a video if you want, pictures and/or writing about what you did and how it went.

I will also send those 5 people one of my favorite necklaces for being willing to share their story with us.

Here it is!

photo-13 photo-12

Ok so not the best picture of me..but hey that’s what I look like this morning so there you go!

If you would be so kind as to share this challenge on twitter, Facebook or your blog that would be great!

If you want some twitter support, tweet me  @300poundsdown or tweet Lee, my brother, @30sectovictory

You can also tweet Lee’s wife (my sister in law) Beth @bethtrains4life

And tell us how you are doing!!

I would love to hear how you are doing with your personal challenges.

We can do this!!

photo

Jean - Marie March 3, 2014 at 3:54 pm

What kind of crock pot recipes are you looking for?? I have some that you might like.. Let me know..

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Low carb. That would be awesome!!

Melanie March 3, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thank you for the inspiration; I have been slacking a bit myself and need to get a few things in order. I will be blogging about this later today. 🙂
Melanie recently posted..HairMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Just checked out your blog!! Awesome!!

Jean - Marie March 3, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Holly –
Salsa Chicken :
Frozen chicken breasts
I jar of salsa
1 can of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup
water or stock to cover …. 6 – 8 hours on low, last hour : shred, put back into crockpot , make a slurry with a little cornstarch , and pour in to “thicken ” it up a bit. serve it with mashed cauliflower and parsnips . 🙂
JM 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Jean Marie!!!!!

Jean - Marie March 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

add some spices : chili powder, garlic powder , cumin…

Dagny Kight March 3, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Hey Holly–Your plan for running is a lot like the “Couch to 5K” program. The concept is to alternate running with walking over 30 minutes time. Pick your own times, like running for 30 seconds then walking for 90 seconds to two minutes. If you’ve never used a GymBoss, I’d HIGHLY recommend getting one. It will count the time for you so you don’t have to check a watch. I find it’s a BIG difference when I don’t watch the clock! Here’s a link to get a GymBoss. YES, it’s my affiliate link but I LOVE the GymBoss, I’ve been recommending it for years!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Dagny Kight recently posted..Weight Bias is Limiting Access to Weight Loss SurgeryMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Thanks I will check it out!!

Leah March 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Love this! My goal is everyday to slow down, focus and evaluate. Make sure I am being the best I can be that day. What can I do different or even better tomorrow? I will continue on my Herbalife program. I will exercise at least 3 times a week. I will go once a week to my Herbalife Center to weigh in. No more excuses. First week on Herbalife program and focusing I am down 3.2 pounds. I feel amazing. I am amazed at how many excuses I can come up with though. No more excuses.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Great job Leah! These are great goals!! Congrats on the awesome 3.2 pounds!!

Christine March 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm

You have some great goals! Good luck with all of those, although I am sure you won’t need it. Love the necklace and charm, very cute! I look forward to reading your blog and watching your progress the next 30 days. I have my own *challenge* going on to lower my weight, diabetes numbers, and blood pressure. I’m on week two and doing great, although I am faced with regular challenges with a family to feed.
Christine recently posted..Super Shred Week 1 Weigh In and RefectionsMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Congrats on week two!! You can do it!

Laurie March 3, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I want to join you.
My goals are 30 minutes of exercise each day.
Cooking dinner every night.
30 minutes of Bible study every day.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 3, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Awesome goals Laurie!!

luka beth March 4, 2014 at 1:49 am

I Am going to strive to exercise every day… And to read your blog. And I’m going to try to eat every meal from my own kitchen… No eating out!
luka beth recently posted..Snow day!My Profile

Kari Goodman March 4, 2014 at 2:10 am

I would love to join this challenge. Here are my goals:
1. Exercise 30 minutes for 30 days
2. 30 minutes of Bible Study
3. Blog everyday for 30 days
4. Spend 30 quality minutes with my family

Pumpkin March 4, 2014 at 2:17 am

I am totally going to do it with you! Now I just have to come up with what my goals are!
Pumpkin recently posted..My story of why I ended up crying on the treadmillMy Profile

Jacque March 4, 2014 at 3:27 am

So, I don’t have a twitter account… Well, I do, but I don’t know how to use it LOL!!! So, I’ll just post here!! I am with you on this challenge! Today was my start day – I am 31 years old, and refuse to die early because I allow food to control my life… So, I decided today was the day I took control over food. So, here’s my 30/30 goals!!

30 days of staying within my calorie goal of 1980.
30 days of giving exercise at least 30 seconds of my day.
30 days of no pop!
30 days of loving myself, no matter what.

I don’t have a blog – I haven’t really gotten into the whole blogging thing… But, I do have FB! And email of course!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Fantastic Jacque!!! These are some awesome goals. I am so glad you are joining us. You can do it!

Hope March 4, 2014 at 3:32 am

Great! I want to join you. Love challenges.. My goals will be to drink 30 ounces of water every day. To exercise every day. I’m up to 21 minutes at a time on my bike but some days I can’t get motivated enough so for 30 days I will do it. I need to cut way down on the amount of sweets I eat but don’t know how to go about this every day for 30 days as I am addicted to sugar big time. Thank you Holly for helping us get motivated. Good luck to you!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Hope, I totally understand sugar addiction! I know it is tough but you will get there. Awesome job on the 21 minutes with the bike!

LHA March 4, 2014 at 4:26 am

Just what I needed to read today. I will have to think about what my 30 day challenges will be but I am in! I want to choose carefully to make sure they are really something I could realistically accomplish. I will be reading you daily!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

So glad you are on board with us!!

Susan Johnson March 4, 2014 at 4:41 am
Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Thanks Susan! I will check it out right now!

robin March 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

Our preacher has asked us to give up something for 40 days I guess this is somewhat the same. My 18 yr old is giving up junk food. I on the other hand find it hard what to give up or add . I like the bible study for 30 minutes, Lord knows I could use this! So I guess I will try that one.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

That’s great Robin! Thanks for joining me!

Tori March 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I’m a lil late getting to this post but I’m in. 30 days, 30 mins ea, 3 small challenges that I’ve been struggling with. I’ll start today so that 30 days ends April 4th (remember March has 31 days!!)….the Challenges are 1) 30 mins physical activity; 2) 30 minutes of reading; 3) TBD 🙂
Tori recently posted..Labels…..My Profile

Susan March 8, 2014 at 6:50 am

Holly, I’ve read your blog from the beginning. I found your pearls of wisdom a couple months ago. I decided to post to say thank you and to join your 30 day challenge. I’m 5 days behind – I’ll catch up in the end. As I made my list I decided to create word to help me remember my challenge. My word is welcome; which is how I feel when I read your blog.

Start 3/8/14 welcome
Drink a minimum of 30 ounces water every day
Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day
Love myself where I am and plan to meet my challenge
Clean house for 30 minutes each day
Overcome my craving to eat before bed
Use MyFitnessPal everyday to log my food
Eat more whole unprocessed foods

Staci March 9, 2014 at 6:05 am

We *love* this soup. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/392446555000779854/ I just completely leave out the beans and corn and sometimes add zucchini and sometimes don’t. If you throw it all in your crockpot, even with frozen chicken breasts, you just shred your chicken with a fork when you get home that evening. I also put coconut oil on a Joseph’s low carb pita (in the baskets in the deli at Walmart), sprinkle on sea salt, and cut into triangles and put it in the oven to crisp like crackers. It is either 4 or 6 net carbs for the pita. Can’t remember and not sure if you want to go there with the crunch! 🙂 Def check out the soup, though. Also, not crockpot, but another surprise to us that we really, really liked! I used frozen cauliflower. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/392446555000786558/ I am loving radishes in things like roasts in place of potatoes (and I do the roast in the crockpot). I even like roasted radishes. Good luck with your challenges!
Staci recently posted..Random StuffMy Profile

Jackie Jones March 13, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hi,
Love your blog and your story!
Have started a bit of a 30 day challange myself, I actually completed a 3 week vegan cleanse and decided to keep going Vegan for another few days. I think it takes about 30 days to create a habit so the first 30 days are the toughest but wish you all the luck!
Also just started working out after a LONG break so I am with you on that 🙂
I may try the crockpot thing – I currently suffer from eating the same stuff, luckily i have a handful of healthy recipes but nonetheless I am eating a lot of the same!
Anyhow good luck with it all – you are an inspiration
Jackie Jones recently posted..Diet Plans for WomenMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 13, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Thanks so much Jackie!! Great goals you are working on too!