30/30 Challenge Day Two

March 5, 2014 in Uncategorized

1.  30 New Crockpot Meals for the next 30 Days

Today I looked around at a lot of different recipes for Carolina Style Pulled Pork.  I went to college and lived in North Carolina for about 5 years in my 20’s.  I always loved their barbecue even though it is definitely not Texas barbecue!  They use a vinegar based sauce.  I remember the first time my best friend Amanda and I got a barbecue sandwich in North Carolina, we thought they had forgotten to put sauce on it!  Nope..the sauce is just clear and not red like we had expected.  Another thing they did in North Carolina was to put coleslaw on the barbecue sandwich.  So I decided to try a version of this but low carb and no sugar.

I am NO cook.  Eater?? YES.  But not a cook.  However I am going with some experimentation this month for this challenge.  I bought a Boston Butt (and yes my kids thought that alone was hilarious).

photo 1

I seasoned it before it went in the crockpot.

photo 3

Then we mixed apple cider vinegar with splenda packets and poured that on top.

photo 2 photo 4

Finished product 🙂

photo-17

So this was mostly a bust unfortunately.  I didn’t think it was all THAT bad but my kids frowned as they ate it while quietly hiding their contempt!

This was NOT North Carolina-worthy barbecue!

It’s time I start following actual recipes and stop experimenting!

For the coleslaw, I just bought a bag of coleslaw mix but I did not use their dressing because it had too much sugar in it.

I just use my own salad dressing.

This I can’t screw up so it was good!

photo 5 photo-16

2.  30 Minutes of Bible Study for 30 days

Today I read Acts 27:13-26 where Paul ends up shipwrecked. While they are on the ship and going through terrible storms everyone totally loses hope. Then Paul suddenly says to everyone…

Hold on! Don’t give up hope. I have good news!

We are going to survive this.

I mean….we are going to suffer through storms, become shipwrecked and completely lose everything…

BUT we will survive with our lives. So cheer up!

This kind of cracked me up when I read it.

Paul is encouraging them by saying “Cheer up, y’all! We’re only going to lose everything and be shipwrecked!”

I wish I could have seen the looks on their faces after that pep talk!

We would all much rather hear that things are going to be better RIGHT NOW and that maybe we could get saved before we have to suffer storms, starvation, shipwrecks and near death!

But then there is real life….

While it isn’t exactly what we want to hear—it’s true that we must go through the storms of life

And it’s important to know we will survive it.

I liken Paul’s pep talk to his shipmates to one of my favorite Rocky speeches where he tells his son:

The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows.

It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are

It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.

But it ain’t about how hard you’re hit.

It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.

How much you can take and keep moving forward.

That’s how winning is done!

So today when we face Burger King or brownies….know that we may have to smell them, see them and be tempted by them….but we will survive them!!

And as for the other storms of life…we can survive those too! So never lose hope!

3.  30 Minutes of walking/jogging for the next 30 Days

Ok so yesterday I decided to time myself and see how far I could run/jog.  I assumed that would be around 3 minutes.  I gave myself permission to go super slow and as a result I was able to jog a full 30 minutes without stopping.  It was a slow jog but I did it.  I was SO ecstatic that I could not wait to get back to the gym today! I was so sure I would do 31 minutes today.

Unfortunately, that did not happen.

The first thing I thought when I walked into the gym was that I needed to get on the exact same treadmill.  I’m not superstitious but yet suddenly I started thinking “What if it was a fluke??”  I began to wonder if maybe it wasn’t me but rather some strange aligning of the planets or the magic treadmill that made me capable of jogging 30 straight minutes!  I started worrying, “What if I can never do that again?”   I must find the magic treadmill!  No other treadmill will do! It was really ridiculous but now you know the inner workings of my strange mind!

SO…I walked half a mile like I did yesterday and then began to jog slowly.  From the very start it was difficult. Not necessarily the stamina/breathing part but I felt very sore and  uncomfortable in the lower hip/upper side leg area.  I actually hadn’t been feeling well anyway so this didn’t help. And I didn’t realize how sore I was from yesterday.  I did wonder though if it was all in my head.  Maybe I had just psyched myself out.  I began to wonder if I had dreamed yesterday and would never find a way to repeat that.  AAH!  I panicked and began sinking into a myriad of cognitive distortions where everything is the end of the world.   I ended up only jogging 10 minutes straight before going back to walking.  A simple trip to the gym turns into a mind melt.  I leave feeling somewhat defeated.  Isn’t it fun being me?!

Here are my top screwed up thought processes that land me into trouble.

Black and White Thinking

In this way of thinking, it is all or nothing.  You are either a winner or a loser.  You are either awesome or you suck.  No middle ground.

I will NEVER be a runner.  I will NEVER accomplish anything.  I will always be unathletic.  I will never ever EVER be good at this!

Overgeneralization

In this lovely thought pattern you take one incident and blow it up.  You decide that because today you are not able to do something then this is a 100% accurate prediction of every single day of the rest of your life!  You decide that one incident will now become a never-ending pattern of defeat.

I wasn’t able to do 30 minutes today.  So that’s it.  I will never be able to do 30 minutes again.  What happened today will happen tomorrow and the next day and the next day and the next day and THE NEXT DAY into Eternity!!!!!

Catastrophizing

We expect disaster to happen to us.  We know it will happen.  IT WILL HAPPEN! Yes no doubt.  A total castrophe will befall us!

As I was walking into the gym I was already thinking, “What if it was a fluke? What if I can’t jog 30 minutes again.  What if I can’t even jog 10 minutes? What if I can’t even jog 1 minute? What if my body is broken and nothing works and I will be an athletic failure forever and ever!!!!  What if I get on the treadmill and I am out of breath before I push start.  OH MY GOSH!!”

Filtering

We completely filter out ANYTHING positive from the experience. We get rid of it and only see the negative.

I only did 10.  That isn’t 30.  That isn’t enough.  That is bad.  That is backwards.  You SUCK!

But if I stop filtering out the positive and look at the whole experience then I can say—Yeah me! Because I could have been sitting on the couch watching Netflix and eating Krispy Kreme.  But instead I was on a treadmill moving.  This is a positive thing.  I jogged 10 minutes.  Go me!  The fact that I did not jog 30 minutes does not take away from the 10 that I did or the other 20 minutes I spent walking.  But no….in my mind it’s just….

You SUCK!

I was discussing this with my son while he was eating a ham sandwich.  He had some wise words for me.

Excuse the fact that he is eating while talking 🙂

My son filters the negative out.  To him…10 is part of 30, Mom.  Good job!  I think I will take his perspective!

4.  30 Minutes of House Cleaning

This totally did not happen today.

But I have happily found some motivation.

I am going to join the 40 Bags in 40 Days Decluttering Challenge

So my 30 minutes of cleaning will be devoted to that!

join the decluttering revolution! Challenge yourself to simplify and get rid of 40 bags in 40 days. #40bagsin40days

5. Blog daily for 30 days

This happened!!

DAY TWO DONE!

So how are YOU?

Melanie March 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Holly- I felt like I was reading my own words when I was reading about the black/white thinking etc… this is one of my biggest problems and one that I am constantly working on. Day 2 went okay for me; I failed on one of my challenges, but made a big change as well. Hope you have a great Day 3!
Melanie recently posted..30/30 Challenge: Day 2 & HAIR!!!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Way to go Melanie!! You are doing awesome!! Don’t worry about the one you feel like you failed on. Today is a new day, right?? I’m telling myself this too!!

Jo March 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Reporting in – I did 20 mins. exercise on day 2. I applaud you for your 10 mins. and even though you didn’t jog for 30 mins. you didn’t stop, you stayed on the treadmill for the whole 30 mins. you kept moving so I call that a success. Will report in tomorrow.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Way to go Jo! I applaud you also for your 20 minutes. Way to kick butt!! Thank you for checking in!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..30/30 Challenge Day TwoMy Profile

Susan Johnson March 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Holly,
You were on the right track with the vinegar and splenda. Here is a recipe link that might help fill in the gaps! 🙂 http://healthylowcarbliving.com/recipes/crockpot-bbq-pork-roast/

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm

thank you Susan!!! I have bookmarked this and will try again. This also seems easy and simple. Yeah!

Christine March 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm

It looks like you had a nother good day, even if your exercise didn’t go quite like you wanted, you still did something and you were moving. I’m an all or nothing type person too. It doesn’t make life easy sometimes.
Christine recently posted..Motivting NSV’s (SSW2D3)My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Oh good another all or nothing thinker!! LOL I totally understand! Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it!

Pam Holmes March 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Your son is adorable. I could just gobble him up. Give him a big hug from one of your loyal readers–ME!! “At least you did it.”
Pam Holmes recently posted..Sean Anderson…..Inspiring!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Thank you PAM!! I hope your husband is doing better!

GDOG March 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Congratulations on your first 2 days! Keep in mind that you are a relatively new jogger, and you jogged A LOT yesterday! You may not even want to go that long everyday in the beginning. I would not be surprised if you had discomfort in your knees and hips on day 2. Also keep in mind that jogging too much too fast can lead to injury thus less time exercising over all – I’m sure you don’t want that 🙂 30 minutes and 10 minutes are both super times for a beginning jogger – just keep up the good work and your stamina will build naturally over time!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Oh thank you so much. It is good to hear some validation that I was supposed to be sore. For some odd reason I think it is just ME. But to hear that it is normal really helps! I will totally take your advice. Thank you!

Lisa March 5, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Way to go keeping up with the goals. Your blog is the fifth time I’ve encountered the 40 bags in 40 days project in the past 10 hours, so I think God is trying to tell me something. I’m in for that one now.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 6:10 pm

ROFL I totally hear you on that!! Everywhere I looked I kept seeing it too. Actually I also joined the FB support page and I LOVE it. Everyone there is uploading pics of their wrecked rooms and cluttered desks. Suddenly I feel less alone!!

Bre March 5, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Hi Holly, you could try a figure 4 stretch for your hip/upper side leg pain.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 12:01 am

Hmmm…is that a wrestling move? LOL my son often tries to put me in a figure 4 after watching WWE!

Steelers6 March 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Oh that TJ is just too cute. 10 min sure does count, it’s part of 30 min! hee. You still get to tick the box that says “exercise” today.

Boston Butt, haha. I can hear the kids snickering.

Gotta love that word, decrapifying. I did a bit o’ cleaning and arranging and such today. When it gets a little Spring-y in these parts, we’ll all be talking about decrapifying & cleaning.
Well done on the goals.
Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 12:01 am

Thanks!!

Shannon March 5, 2014 at 9:54 pm

HI Holly! I LOVE pork butt (haha) in the crockpot! I’ve made “root beer” pulled pork several times and it was delicious. Seriously… you just rub the pork butt with a rub made for pork (they sell it in the spice aisle) and pour root beer (diet should be fine!) until it’s about half way up the side of the roast. It’s so good!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 12:01 am

Ok this sounds my speed. If it isn’t simple I can mess it up so I am trying this!!

Leah March 5, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Loving this challenge and your updates! Day two I walked for 50 minutes at lunchtime. I did have a tiny slice of husbands birthday cake and wings from his dinner the night before BUT I had that as dinner not as a snack after dinner as I would before. AND I resisted snacking the rest of the night. It was good to know that those things trigger a huge snacking urge. And it was good to know that even though I have to literally talk myself thru it I got thru it and didn’t snack.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 11:58 pm

50 minutes on the lunch break? YAHOO!!!!! YOU GO!! Way to go talking yourself through not overeating. Amazing!

Beth March 5, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Almost every time I read your posts, I identify. I’m sorry about the bad butt. HAHA! I’m twelve.
Beth recently posted..Lent is here – 46 days to go.My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 11:57 pm

HAHAHAAAA Awesome!!

Paula March 5, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Oh my gosh! You are so me… I see the very thoughts I have had over and over in my dieting since I was 15 and Mom used to drop me off at WW. I am nearly 60 now, and I need to take my little victories and filter them from the perfectionism that has destroyed my successes over my life. Our ladies’ group just finished a Bible study name “Unglued… Making wise choices in the midst of Raw Emotions,” by Lysa Terkeurst. The very first lesson talks about hope of IMPERFECT PROGRESS. “Imperfect changes are slow steps of progress wrapped in grace.” “Progress; nothing more, nothing less. We don’t seek instant changes or quick fixes. We’ll seek progress.” She talks about drinking DEEPLY from God’s cup of hope, grace, and peace. Oh.. easy to read, hard to do, but I am happy making imperfect progress, which is better than none. As for your son… out of the mouth of babes.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 5, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Oh this is awesome Paula!! Thank you so much. Totally what i needed to hear!

tori March 6, 2014 at 2:04 am

LOVE the bible study portion…funny how it fits what’s going on with me as well! thanks.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 2:22 am

oh thanks Tori!

Shay March 6, 2014 at 3:02 am

One of my friends recently asked me what the “secret” was to staying in shape. People have their different methods; I know that you watch what you eat while I don’t do a lot of that. I tend to eat somewhat healthfully, though, and stay away from fried foods, but I do love my pasta. Anyway, she laughed when my answer was, “Just move.” She thought I was teasing her, and I had to back up when her jaw dropped. “No!” I insisted as we laughed. “I wasn’t being sarcastic or implying that you DON’T move a lot. I’m just telling you what works for me.” So, in response to you being disappointed that you jogged less than you had the day before, I say it’s a win because you MOVED!!
Shay recently posted..Wedding CardMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 3:10 am

Thank you Shay!!! You’re right !!

Lori March 6, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Your body needs to rest between work outs. Some fitness experts advocate a full 24 hours in between. I think you were expecting too much too soon. Your original premise was right, you need to work up to it. Doing it the first day wasn’t a fluke; you just didn’t have time to recover.

For the pork, cook the butt in the slow cooker all day with all the seasonings (salt, pepper, onion if it is on your plan) except for the sauce even the vinegar based ones. Once the pork is done, remove it to a platter to rest while you drain off all of the fat that has cooked out into the slow cooker. Put the pork back in the slow cooker, shredding it as you go. Then add the bbq sauce and simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Or you can eat the pork without the sauce. Sometimes I like it that way too. Good luck and let me know if you try this method.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Trim Healthy Mama Review #1My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 6, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Lori. I really feel like my body did need that break from running after the first day. I’m glad to hear what you said about taking 24 hours in between. Now I don’t feel bad about it! I will try the pork this way. One way or the other I will get this figured out. Thanks!

Cathy Jones March 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Holly, your mind defeated you even before you got to the gym. Praise the Lord and thank Him as you see yourself jogging that 35 minutes, even before you get there. Praise Him for the accomplishment no matter how small. I work with disabled adults who are wheelchair bound and I spend some of my time walking for them. It helps me go a little farther. I use a little tomato sauce with my vinegar and Splenda to make barbecue. You’re doing great!

Susan March 10, 2014 at 12:57 am

Susan’s Day 2 of 30 Day Challenge – welcome

I live in NC. They smoke that BBQ for hours with a special spice rub to get that dry bbq. The sauce you add has the vinegar. If you crock pot the pork – leave it dry, do the rub (you could use splenda instead of brown sugar), put some onion & garlic in the bottom with a little water or broth, cook till done (I use a meat thermometer). When it is done – use 2 forks to shred the pork. Pour the liquid from the pot throw out the onions & fat. Use the liquid, add hot pepper flakes, some of that vinegar, and your favorite low carb BBQ sauce. Bake the shredded pork for about 30 more minutes (you can use the crock pot – I use oven to dry the meat a little) and drizzle some of the sauce over it. You don’t want it too dry. Serve the sauce on the side. Somefolks like it with more sauce, and some like the thicker sauce from the bottle. Here is my challenge day 2:

Drink a minimum of 30 ounces water every day – done
Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day – walked
Love myself where I am and plan to meet my challenge – done (passed up doughnuts twice – yeah!)
Clean house for 30 minutes each day – garage today beautiful day
Overcome my craving to eat before bed – done SF hot chocolate 8 pm
Use MyFitnessPal everyday to log my food – done
Eat more whole unprocessed foods – peaches I froze last summer in my oatmeal, carrots at dinner.