Sugar Detox: What it really feels like (Video)

January 17, 2014 in Uncategorized

sugaraddiction

So I have made it through the entire first week of Sugar Detox

AGAIN

I hate the fact that I am here once again

Wouldn’t you think by now I would have arrived??

I would no longer be susceptible to the cycle?

Well guess what I’ve learned over the course of the last 2 years

We are never totally out of danger

We must resist temptation at the ONSET

When it FIRST comes knocking

If you let it in the door…entertain it…have a little coffee with it

Thinking that is all it will be

Before long you’ll find it has trapped you once again

Here is a post I wrote almost exactly one year ago on the dangers of sugar

It was called Prescription Strength

I read this again and asked myself that all important question

Once achieving victory over a stronghold….why do we fall back into it?

I suppose this is a question many of us have asked ourselves

When we fall back into bad habits

But here is the positive side to it

Having already beat it numerous times—I now know that it is POSSIBLE

And armed with that knowledge I can move forward with confidence

photo.PNG

SO…..

Week One of the detox down

And THIS is what it feels like

Video below…..

Lori January 17, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I think your body is rebelling to the detox. Good for you for battling the cycle. As hard as it is, you’ll be so glad that you did. Nothing is as sweet as the victory.

Maybe you could write down a few coping mechanisms that have worked for you in the past, at a time when you are not in the midst of a battle. Then when the fight starts you can pull out that list and try one or two until you have overcome.

It is good that you videoed yourself to capture the moment. I know exactly what you mean about being able to gain large amounts of weight in a very short time.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Restaurant ResultsMy Profile

Caron January 17, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I’ve been in maintenance for over ten years and it seems I “start over” more than I should. The trick, I believe, is to catch it quick before you have a lot to lose. Also, it’s really hard to tell myself “no” when I’ve eased up and am eating whatever I want. Ever onward. You can do it. 🙂
Caron recently posted..No Rest for the WearyMy Profile

Heather C. January 17, 2014 at 9:20 pm

It’s a battlefield of both the mind as well as physical withdraw. Some days I’m not sure what’s worse….but I tell ya’, I often feel like my head is spinning thinking about food, and if I could just grab it and stop it from moving so quickly, I could see straight ahead that the right path feels SO much better than how I feel right now. I loved your comparison to being in pain or being hounded by someone- YES…I feel HOUNDED constantly by foods that are doing nothing but ruining my body, and yet I partake. I look at the scale creeping up, and yet I continue. If the statement “nothing tastes as good as thin feels” is true, then WHY do I continue to eat junk? I feel as if it has me in a headlock. :o(

Christie January 18, 2014 at 1:05 am

I was only able to make it through half your video because it was hitting too close to home for me. I am fighting a battle with sugar and I am losing. It feels like I need to fill some hole in my stomach with sugar and nothing can fill it. To make matters worse I have diabetes that I have been completely ignoring lately. I just can’t seem to get control of things. So, know you aren’t along on the battlefield, and it is good to know I’m not alone either. Fight on!
Christie recently posted..(almost) Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Kerstin January 18, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Oh my, Holly! You keep hitting it right where it is felt. And after you have fallen, yet again, you get up again and move on. That is so inspiring, I can’t tell. My main problem is that I do not trust myself to make the changes needed to live a healthier life. But after reading this post and listening to your video I realise that what I don’t trust is my ability to stick with better new habits. I often feel like I am this other person who I have no control over when, of course, I am the only one who can me do or not do things. What does it take to break that cycle of falling down and getting up again, and again, and again?? You are amazing, you know.
Kerstin recently posted..putting this blog back on trackMy Profile

Karen P January 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm

The minute I stopped eating processed sugar (and grains) is the day my physical and emotional pain (and migraines) started to go away. Dealing with the withdraw is tough, but living in the addition was tougher for me.

Raising my cup of coffee to you for the strength and courage to surf through those cravings. You are not alone, keep feeling your feelings. This will pass. Onward!
Karen P recently posted..Keeping my strength commitment- Jan 2014My Profile

Miri January 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Thanks to your former post on sugar addiction I finally understood the effect of sugar on me and stopped eating sugar a month ago. Since then I am struggling with the hunger but with much less cravings than my other diets. The problem is to try to explain those facts to my friends who are offended when I am not eating their birthday cakes or refuse to join them to lunch. I read your blog constantly and I am amazed of how brave you are and strong!! and what a great influence you had on me!

LHA January 19, 2014 at 5:38 am

An excellent video post! Sugar is such a difficult thing to kick for good. I did go sugar free for about two years one time, and I mean TOTALLY sugar free. It was as though once I got a small taste of sugar all bets were off. I felt so strong, in control and healthy when I was avoiding sugar totally. The loss of control was so very frightening once I began down the slippery slope sugar consumption. It was like I was being swept along by a raging river and there was no escape. I certainly haven’t found the complete answer but I am certainly doing better at this point. Staying away from sugar means weight loss, good health, more energy and more contentment within myself. So, as you asked, why do we do this to ourselves? Addiction is difficult to understand for sure.

Here is one thing that sometimes works for me when I am having a day like you were having in the video. I take a long, hot shower and I use a special soap that I have which I love the scent of. I indulge myself by staying in the shower as long as I want to (till the hot water runs out sometimes) and while I am in there I daydream about something not at all food or weight related, such as a dream vacation or how I would like to redecorate a room. When I get out of the shower I try to make sure I get dressed and out of the house for a while for a walk or even just window shopping. Of course this doesn’t always work but it does often enough for me to consider it a successful diversion strategy.

Thank you so much for your honesty and for sharing your struggle with us. It really helps all of us to see that we are not alone in our own struggle. Stay strong and I know you will be successful!

Shay January 19, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I think it’s just going to be a never-ending process, Holly, like almost anything health-related that we all do. It’s a lifestyle change that will always require work, and there might be times when you fall off the sugar detox wagon, but the important thing is that you’re conscious of it and doing something about it. Even posting about it means you’re thinking about it and are working on it. Keep it up! Love the “big girl panties” quote. I agree 100%!
Shay recently posted..George StraitMy Profile

Chrissy January 20, 2014 at 2:13 am

Thanks for keepin it real! I was thinking maybe you were hormonal, but the sugar detox does seem like it could be an explanation. Plus as far as the not feeling like getting dressed & such–I think everyone has those days. ? Maybe not? Anyway, pretty sure being a single parent is a tough job!

So how did that day go then? As far as foodstuffs. Hugs, Holly!

robin January 20, 2014 at 11:48 am

Oh man have I been there, glad you put it out there and I must say this is something I could do infront of like a mirror. By the time the 9 minutes were up it seemed like you had regained some control. Did it last thru out your day???

Tess January 22, 2014 at 8:57 pm

YES!!! Good job talking yourself down off the ledge!! <3

Kerri February 8, 2014 at 2:46 am

Hi holly. Just watched your video and I can sooo relate. Thank you so much for posting that!! I have been trying to sugar detox for the past 10 months and can’t get past a few days!!! Thanks for reminding me that i am hungry because of the detox and it will get better. Ding, ding , ding. It’s the drug (sugar) telling me I can’t do it !!!!
I have now gained 30 pounds back and my clothes are tight and I refuse to buy bigger sizes so I am miserable. I am so frustrated with myself. Tonight I decided to check in on some of my favorite bloggers. So glad I did. I feel so inspired now. We can do this!!!
Thanks for being such an inspiration.
Kerri recently posted..One Year Sleeversary!!!My Profile