More Dreams Coming True

January 7, 2014 in Uncategorized

So when I first started this blog, I wrote a list of “dream goals” that I wanted to achieve.

I made this list while I was still 417 pounds

Here is the post  I wrote in June 2011 where I listed 14 goals I wanted to achieve through weight loss

One of the things I had listed on there was wanting to take my kids to the Majestic Theatre

They have a lot of shows that come to town and I’ve always wanted to take my kids to the Nutcracker Ballet

Of course to do this, I have to drive downtown

Find a place to park

Walk however far from the lot to the theatre

Across uneven sidewalks and busy streets

Something that is no small feat for a 417 pound individual

And that is not even including the nightmare that would await me inside the theatre

Full of narrow spaces and even more narrow seats!!

But after living in San Antonio for close to 8 years, I finally was able to do that this year!!

And with that 14th goal being achieved…I have officially checked off everything on that list!!

Here are some pictures of us at the Nutcracker Ballet at the Majestic Theatre

photo-700

This is what the inside of the Majestic Theatre looks like….GORGEOUS!

photo-701

Here are my 4 kids in their seats…I don’t know if you can notice the width of these seats but trust me when I say to you

That squeezing into one of these seats at 417 pounds would have been impossible!!

photo-702

Here I am with my son.  Our tickets were located at the OTHER end of the row so we had to move past several people in the row

Before getting to our seats.  I am sure anyone who has ever been big knows how awful this can be.  But not this time!!!

photo-703

So check off another dream come true for my family!!  Even after 2 years, I never ever lose sight of how weight loss has made the impossible possible!

Now one more thing I did recently was not something I had on my dream list BUT it was something my son had on HIS list!

My son has taken an interest in watching wrestling…and by that I mean WWE wrestling!

Whether you’re a fan of this or not….suffice it to say…this is something my son finds very entertaining.

It’s not really my thing but it is HIS thing….he has tons of little action figures of wrestlers

And he spends plenty of time putting Rabbit and Piglet in a “figure 4” much to Charlotte’s dismay!

So my son finds out that WWE Smackdown is coming to San Antonio at the AT&T Center

And here we go again…..

Crowds, long lines where you have to stand

Narrow endless stairs you have to climb

A row of people you have to squeeze past

To get to chairs you’ll never fit in….

And as a single Mom, my son’s only hope of getting to this event

IS ME!

I have 3 girls and one son

My ONLY son

And let me tell you…it’s a whole different adventure!!

My son wants to do things like play baseball and go to WWE

And I am SO glad that I didn’t have a boy until the end

Because now that I’ve lost weight I can do all these “Boy” things

So while I was nervous and out of my comfort zone….WE WENT

My son and I went to WWE Smackdown at the AT&T Center

And not only that….I got us tickets 3 rows from the FRONT!!

In order to get there, I stood in a long line

Another long one at the souvenir table where he got a belt and shirt

photo-697

I never would have survived that tight space and long line at the souvenir table when I weighed 417!

I am still amazed at how wonderful it is to have two feet to stand on that don’t buckle from the pain!!

Here we are at the event

3 rows from the ring!

I figured if I’m going to do this….I’m doing it up right!!

photo-698

photo-699

So those are two things I’ve done recently that I never could have done before!!

Weight loss is the gift that keeps on giving.

It may not be easy but it IS worth it

One last thing though…

When I asked my son what his favorite part of the night was

He said….”That YOU were there”

THAT was my son’s favorite part!!

Not that we were 3 rows from the front

Not that John Cena walked right past us

Or that he saw all his favorite wrestlers

Not even the belt we bought!

NO–his favorite part was ME!

The fact that I went

This both breaks my heart and fulfills it at the same time

Because it reminds me of all the times I had to send my children off with others

Because it was the best I could do

Like when my brother took them to the circus for me

Because he knew I couldn’t do it for them and wanted to

It reminds me that for our kids it’s not always about where we take them

But that we are there for the ride

And I am so very proud and grateful

That now I can finally be there

To experience life with them

No longer just an observer on the sidelines

This is what it’s all about

And it’s what I need to remind myself of when it’s time to workout or make a good food choice

Because it really is about so much more than the sacrifices we have to make

Especially when the rewards are so worth it!!!

Beth January 7, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Love it! I still cringe when I see stadium seats. I remember at a Colts game years ago, I couldn’t get up and cheer when everyone did because I had to extricate myself from the seat each time. Ugh. So happy for you!!
Beth recently posted..Let’s see how today goes!My Profile

Christine January 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

I love reading your words. It’s like you’ve lived in my body and what I’ve experienced you’ve written down.
I had my WL surgery 5/20/13. I am seven and a half months post op and have list 131 pounds. Every time I experience something people take for granted that an obese person can’t do and I am overwhelmed with emotions. I was a prisoner in my body and now I am free.
Xo

tori January 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

I’m so glad that you are back to blogging…I enjoy reading about your journey and gaining strength from you. Here’s to a wonderful 2014, to being able to do two different things with your kids, to being able to do many many more things with those you love!
tori recently posted..One foot in front of the otherMy Profile

Jane January 8, 2014 at 12:52 am

Holly, you have such beautiful children! I am so happy that you are enjoying life with them. Like Tori, I too gain strength from reading your words. God Bless. Till next post, stay strong. Jane

Kaira January 8, 2014 at 1:12 am

I love this! I think this would be a great time to create new goals since you have achieved all of your others. Maybe it could be a family effort.

Many congratulations!
Kaira recently posted..I Quit Water Only Hair Washing – updateMy Profile

Samantha @ 24 to 30 January 8, 2014 at 1:15 am

I love this post so much! These types of non-scale victories are my favorite things about weight loss! My older boys LOVED wrestling like that too…I always pretended to hate it but secretly…I kind of liked it 🙂 So glad you went and had fun!
Samantha @ 24 to 30 recently posted..Finding MotivationMy Profile

Karen p January 8, 2014 at 2:33 am

Congrats on getting to your goals. Seeing your changes change the whole family dynamic is awesome. Keep going on the next list!
Karen p recently posted..Sunday 1/5/2014 links to some favorite posts this week and a few photosMy Profile

Jacquie January 8, 2014 at 5:20 am

I am so glad you are back to blogging. I completely understand why you stopped but you are such an inspiration to others…all I can say is THANK YOU <3 I am happy for you that you are savouring all these things that you are doing ! Huggles from Holland, Jacquie
Jacquie recently posted..Candy callingMy Profile

Faith January 8, 2014 at 1:02 pm

So happy to see you back, Holly! Congrats on checking off the last thing on that list and crossing off something on your son’s list. 🙂

Jane t. January 8, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Gosh I missed your blog! So glad you and your inspiring and honest words are back! Happy 2014!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 8, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I teared up in the video when you panned to your son and he said “this is AWESOME!” He was so happy and that is something he will remember for the rest of his life.

As a former WWF (before the WWE) fan, I can vouch that those can be a great stress reliever and make some awesome memories. (Especially when Bret “Hitman” Hart winks at you and you get to hang out after the match. Sigh. Those were the days!)

Shay January 8, 2014 at 3:53 pm

TEARS that your son’s favorite part was you! Congrats, Holly. Now it’s time to make another list of goals! Or is that just my Type A personality coming out? 🙂
Shay recently posted..StairsMy Profile

Ronda January 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm

So glad to hear from you again, and you all look fantastic!
Good times with the kiddos.
Ronda recently posted..Does Not Follow InstructionsMy Profile

Lyn January 9, 2014 at 2:22 pm

That is so wonderful and he will remember that experience his entire life. Being able to live life with our children is one of the biggest reasons to get healthy. So happy to see you doing that!
Lyn recently posted..An Update on My EatingMy Profile

Lori January 9, 2014 at 10:19 pm

So good to hear from you, and even better to know that you are living your dreams!
Lori
Lori recently posted..Current Plan of AttackMy Profile

Tracy @MyTinyTank January 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Oh my goodness, crying! Loved your son’s response. What a great post. LOVE TO YOU!!! Keep sharing it inspires me. I share your posts all the time in my My Tiny Tank Support facebook group.
Tracy @MyTinyTank recently posted..Behave or I Might Give You the EYEMy Profile

Angela January 15, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Holy,

You said, “weight loss is the gift that keeps on giving”, it gives not only to YOU, the “loser” but to your family and friends as well. It allows one to be more active, less thethered to their safe places. YOUR weight loss has been such a wonderful gift to your kids, especially since you are a single parent. Great job and keep up the work.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking January 18, 2014 at 3:27 am

Oh how sweet! What a blessing that you doing this together was the best part of the night!! That is awesome!