Monday Update

January 13, 2014 in Uncategorized

So on my previous post, I wrote about my Game Plan for the Week to get back on track

I am going to give a daily update all this week on how I did with my goals to keep myself accountable

Before I start, I want to state that I am a big believer in setting small, achievable goals because this is what has worked for me in the past.

I have a loooong history of feeling overwhelmed by even the smallest tasks.  It comes from a combination of many things from past experiences to my inborn personality traits but suffice it to say this—I am someone who can become  depressed and mentally defeated very easily.  So when it comes to tackling goals, I have to find a method or strategy that counteracts this. For me getting back on track with exercise and weight loss has very little to do with the PHYSICAL….in the beginning.

You see in the beginning I have to fight a mental battle.  I have to find a way to even mentally pull myself up to the START line.

Never mind all the other things that go along with working out….like how long, how far, heart rate, how many reps

None of that matters if you can’t even make yourself get out of bed!

So I am reminding myself today that for me—the battle is in the MIND—especially at first when forming the new habits and breaking the bad ones.

As I mentioned before, consistency and motivation are the two areas I am mainly focusing on when getting back on track.

So for this week, my goal is to work out my MENTAL muscles by being consistent in achieving small goals that will remind me that I am capable of getting things done if I just put one foot in front of the other and “keep getting the ball down the field” as my Mom used to always say to me when I felt overwhelmed.

I was reminded this morning as I woke up to face this day that my fight right now is more mental than physical.  This verse came to my mind.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood….but against the powers of this dark world

Ephesians 6:12

Maybe a little overdramatic when compared to defeating a cupcake but for me— this is the truth when it comes to battling overeating or any other addictive habit.

It is true even of the simple things like making myself do the laundry or go for a walk!!!

I fight far more mentally in all these areas than I ever have in the physical realm.

So having said all that, here is how it went today with my goals

1. EXERCISE

I said I would work out this week using  My Planet Fitness Routine

But I didn’t.

Right away I woke up feeling defeated and paralyzed.  I started stressing about where my shoes and workout clothes were even located.   (hello….housework and organization goals…they are further down the list).  I went to get my phone so I could listen to the Joyce Meyer podcast ( as preplanned) but I realized that when I had plugged my phone in….apparently I didn’t push the plug in all the way….so it never charged and was on 1%.  DRAT!   I went for an ipod but then realized I couldnt get my brand new wireless headhones to work.  I had bought them thinking that would motivate me more but then I couldn’t figure the darn things out.  By this time, I was annoyed.  Additionally, the very idea of driving to the gym made me want to quit before I started.  Like I said before–the battlefield is in the MIND!

I procrastinated and delayed.  And then it hit me that I was in danger.  I was reminded of all the things I said above.  That it not so much WHAT I do physically (in the beginning) but rather THAT I do SOMETHING.

So I threw on clothes and shoes and walked out the door.

IMG_0460

Here I am looking a tad scary but I promised myself I would snap pics and keep accountable so here it is!

I went around the block.  That was it.

It took very little time.

It wasn’t physically difficult for me at all.

I would venture to say you could not even call that a workout.

BUT I DID IT

IT’S DONE

Check the victory box and don’t look back.

It doesn’t matter that I didn’t do the Planet Fitness Routine today.

What matters is that I got out of bed.

So all this week that is my plan.

Walk in the neighborhood first thing in the morning and be reminded of the following

THE BEST EXERCISE…..IS THE ONE YOU’LL ACTUALLY  DO

2.  FOOD PLAN

My plan for this week was to drink my shakes during the day and plan/cook a meal every night this week that will fit into my low carb/low sugar food plan.

This went surprisingly well.  I started with my morning coffee mixed with a vanilla Atkins shake.

I continued with an Atkins shake every 2-3 hours “as needed” depending on how hungry/anxious I felt.

Still looking scary but here’s the pic…

IMG_0463

For dinner, we went out to eat at Red Robin where I ordered  the Cobb Salad

photo-705

3. HOUSECLEANING

I decided that I would begin tackling my housework using Flylady’s  31 Babysteps.

Today the task was to shine the kitchen sink.

Day 1- Flylady

Now how did I do? Well I would have to say I got it done “sort of”

I didn’t have most of the cleaning supplies I really needed to seriously get this job done.  But I did get all the dishes out of the sink and rinsed it out.

Yes it is a so-so job….but something is better than nothing!

Don’t analyze the cleanliness of it….just notice that it’s empty!

IMG_0462

And in other tasks that I have procrastinated on….

1. I called the veterinarian about Brownie

2. I called the exterminator about a rat who is mooching off me rent free in the garage that I can’t seem to evict.  Ever seen the movie Mouse Hunt?

Yeah that’s my life….

3. I took 3 out of my 4 kids to the dentist!!  Here we are on the way….they were so thrilled (sarcasm)…and…..CJ needs a haircut (but that’s for another  to-do list)

photo-704

And while at the dentist, they had a full length mirror in the bathroom so I snapped a pic

Full visual disclosure of my 15 pound weight gain relapse..

I’m pretty sure that when I gain weight, it all immediately goes to my stomach and butt

Because ya know….that’s just what I need!!!!

MORE BUTT

photo-706

So all in all….I’d call today a success.  On to the next!

Cameron January 14, 2014 at 12:03 am

I understand the daily struggle and the perception that in order to be successful every step had to be “perfect” and done at 110% effort. Some days you just “got to fake it, until you can make it”. Good luck and thanks for continuing to inspire us who are on the same journey!

Erin January 14, 2014 at 12:20 am

Your posts always make me smile. I had a small 5-pound relapse over the holidays and am just getting started again too. I was tired and dehydrated this morning so I only did 1/3 of a workout. But I stayed on plan with my food. Thanks for reminding me to give myself credit for small successes. So glad to have you back.

Caron January 14, 2014 at 12:56 am

I forget to tell myself to just “do something” and then my exercise goes the way of the dodo. I think you’re making a great start on 2014. Hang in there. 🙂
Caron recently posted..2013 ReviewMy Profile

Pj Geek January 14, 2014 at 1:49 am

ditto…you are not alone .baby babysteps…thanks for posting
Pj Geek recently posted..Procrastination rollercoasterMy Profile

Karen P January 14, 2014 at 2:02 am

Keep going Holly, you will build those habits… right there with you on the cleaning (for me special work on clutter this year…) and I’m back to the gym at least 2x per week.

Keep up the good work… Karen P
Karen P recently posted..That US News report ranking the Paleo Diet- my response in photos and life detailsMy Profile

Christie January 14, 2014 at 2:09 am

Your day was a great success in my book! A few minutes before dark I decided to gather the kids and the dog and go for just a 10 minute walk, just to DO something today. We ended up walking for 35 minutes. It felt successful just doing that much.
Christie recently posted..Monday Morning structureMy Profile

Heather C. January 14, 2014 at 4:07 am

You are leaps and bounds above what I got done today. I am supposed to have blood work done a week before my medical appointment that is on Thursday. I’m not even afraid of needles, but I haven’t done it! You “started” Holly & sometimes that’s the hardest job. Once you have a little success under your belt and you remember what it feels like, you’ll start running the race. I need to remember that about myself too. BTW- your nails are gorgeous! Keep on keeping on…

Anna January 15, 2014 at 12:14 am

I agree. Holly’s nails look awesome! And Heather good luck getting those medical tasks done. I love that phrase “Keep on keeping on…” my mom always used that phrase. Take Care

LHA January 14, 2014 at 4:25 am

Thanks to YOU, I accomplished some small goals today too. I am going to ride on your coattails to get things back on track, so I really appreciate you leading the way!

Lori January 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm

My relapse weight gain always goes to my belly & butt too.

I’m so glad you are doing what you need to do to get those pounds back off and on to your goal weight.
Lori
Lori recently posted..On Getting My Hiney KickedMy Profile

Taryl January 14, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I absolutely agree with Ephesians on this – I don’t think it is an overstatement to apply it even to a cupcake. And honestly, days when I have appointments with my kids (like today) I almost always skip my workout. I have to shuffle my schedule to fit that into the day and the workout is usually more stressful than productive, in that case!
Taryl recently posted..Three Women, Three SolutionsMy Profile

Anna January 15, 2014 at 12:09 am

I’d call your day a success too! I love how you’ve added the pictures and I think you look fantastic in the full length selfie! I made some progress today with some phone calls that I’ve been procrastinating/over thinking— I understand where you’re coming from. Also—— I think you have a book somewhere in all your posts (think “Marley and Me”) You’re doing beautiful and your kids look happy and healthy—- SUCCESS!

Nicola January 15, 2014 at 4:57 am

Well done 🙂 You look great Holly and you’re making progress, so give yourself a big pat on the back for getting into it and not letting any of the setbacks you encountered stop you from moving forward. You can do it!

Ronda January 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm

My 7 pound weight gain went straight to my thighs and I hate every ounce of it!
You seem like you’re really more on top of things than you give yourself credit for!
Ronda recently posted..TTT; Post-Op EditionMy Profile

LN January 15, 2014 at 7:14 pm

So glad you are back to blogging with your helpful messages. In your full length picture you still look good. My prayers are with you in reaching your weight goal.

Lola January 23, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thank you for sharing about how easily depressed and mentally defeated you get. Me too. It helps so much to know it’s not just me. I liked your idea about setting very small goals.