Midweek Update

January 16, 2014 in Uncategorized

Here’s my update for how the past few days have been going…

1. EXERCISE

I have continued to exercise every morning as planned.  I did not go back to Planet Fitness yet as originally planned but I did break out my Leslie Sansone walking videos.

I forgot just how much I love my Leslie videos!!  Honestly I can’t think of anything that is easier when trying to get back on track or get started working out.  If you are really feeling especially unmotivated—you can literally roll out of bed and do this.  I can’t tell you how many times I have simply hit “Play” and done this in my pajamas and bare feet.   After a few days, I begin to feel a lot more motivated.

When I initially had weight loss surgery and was at 417 pounds, I used Leslie Sansone videos by doing just the first minute, two minutes, 3 minutes etc every day.  I gradually worked my way into the whole video.  What I like about Leslie Sansone is that she has a very easygoing attitude and seems to understand the mindset of someone who struggles to get going.   For the past few days  I have been doing her “Power Mile” video.   I actually own 2 of her videos off Amazon prime.  It is in my video library already downloaded so I don’t even have to take the time putting a DVD in the DVD player.   Believe me when I say…EVEN THAT….could deter me from doing it!!  Just the thought of having to pop something in the DVD Player.  Oh believe me….I can get reallllly ridiculous with my lack of motivation sometimes.  So the fact that all I have to do is pull up my library on the tv and click “Play” makes it easier.

Here I am with my Atkins shake and my video on Amazon Prime

photo-707

I think I look cross eyed in this picture but it is what it is…

Leslie also has some free videos on youtube right now which I highly recommend checking out!

Here is a link to her 3 Mile Walk .   Remember that you can do 5 minutes, 10 minutes or anything that works for you.   As I heard her say in the video today, if you are doing 90%…then why worry about the other 10% ?  90 is still good.  So do what you can!!  I know this attitude goes opposite of the more hard core “Kick butt and take names” mantra that you usually hear when it comes to exercise but when a person can barely walk or has a tough time even making it to the start line—this way of viewing it helps. At least it helps ME!

I can say that I have taken this viewpoint to exercise from the start and it has helped me ease my way into it and then attack increasingly more different goals as I progress.

Here are a few more free walking links on Youtube

Leslie Sansone Start Walking 2 Mile

Leslie Sansone 4 Mile

Leslie Sansone Start Walking with 1 Mile

I’m actually really surprised at the number of free videos she offers on Youtube.

Right about now I sound like a Leslie Sansone infomercial but I have to say….thank goodness I’m enthusiastic again about exercise!!  I have been in a serious rut for a long time but after rediscovering my walking videos and managing to get 4 solid days of workouts in I am starting to once again remember just how great it is to exercise and how much it helps your mood and even your ability to make good food decisions.

2. FOOD

I’m continuing to drink my Atkins shakes every 3 hours and make a low carb dinner in the evening.

The other night I made Salsa Chicken which is probably the easiest meal and totally yummy.

I got this recipe from my best friend, Amanda.  All I do is pour salsa over chicken and bake it.  Sometimes I mix sour cream with salsa because that makes it creamier and my kids love it that way.  I always have leftovers for the next day and I often add it to salads.  I had forgotten how good this was and how easy it is to make.  This needs to once again become a staple in my weekly menu.

photo-709

photo-710

Finished product with sour cream added in

photo-711

Although my food hasn’t been 100% perfect this week, it’s been pretty close.  I’m pleasantly surprised!

———————————————————————————————————————————-

Yesterday two of my kids had award ceremonies for school.  This was something I could not attend in the past and every time I do attend something like this I am instantly reminded of how much weight loss has made a difference in our lives.

Here’s a perfect example!  They ended up moving the ceremony from the cafateria to the library at the last minute.

No big deal…right??

Well trust me….2 years ago it would have been traumatizing.

When I was very big,  I would go to any event early so that I could try and get myself situated into a spot that I could fit in

(If I could even find a place to fit at all)

I also had to consider the fact that I would need to get out of there as well  when the time came.

Location is a very important factor when you’re big.

So suddenly being told you have to get up and move…

Through a crowd….down a hallway

To find another seat at the same moment a whole crowd is trying to find a seat—

NIGHTMARE!!!

Now  it is a breeze.

I never stop feeling like I have magical powers when I can pop up and do this without any issues!

In addition to this, my children don’t have to worry about comments being made to them about my weight.

Just a few years ago,  I attended an awards ceremony where a boy sitting next to Charlotte made a comment about my size.

She told the teacher and this boy ended up getting in trouble.

I felt bad about this because honestly at that age a lot of comments from children come more out of curiosity then anything else.

But I had a much thicker skin than my little ones did when it came to the comments.

I just am pleased that this is no longer a factor in the equation.  I can attend an event without having these comments come into play.

My kids each got 3 awards a piece. Very proud!

photo-712

I’d say that this week things are looking up.

Writing my blog again and keeping myself accountable is probably one of the most important things that I have done to get back on track.

As they say….there is strength in numbers

And  I really do feel that strength  from all the people who leave me comments and have blessed me with their input!!

Marjolein January 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your progress this week. It inspired me to lose the suger as much as possible, since moving back to Europe I gained 9 pounds….but I am back on the road to recovery now. I am going to look at the walking videos! Since it rains every day, it be nice to have something I can do inside.
You are such a great writer!

Jess January 16, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Holly – you are such an inspiration! I started reading your blog early last year, and went back and read the whole thing. I don’t believe I’ve ever left a comment, but wanted to let you know that you have inspired me! I’m in middle of a weight loss program using meal replacements. I tried the Atkins shakes, and it just didn’t work for me. But for some reason, the program I’m on now is working – FINALLY! I just had enough. I’ve lost 36 pounds so far, and have about 40-45 to go. But I know that this is really just the first step in having a healthy life. I have emotional relationships with food that I need to dig into and if not cure, at least manage.

But kudos to you for starting to write again – I missed reading your blog, and I’m so glad you’re back at it, and please know I’m cheering you on!

All the best,
Jess

LHA January 16, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I will definitely try that chicken. Thanks for the update and the inspiration. You are keeping a lot of people (including me) moving forward by sharing your experiences. Good luck today. May it be another good day for all of us!

Linda January 16, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Holly, I am so proud of you! I am now just trying to get back into the groove and will check out the Leslie Sansone videos. The salsa chicken looks great too. Congrats to your kids too!! Big hugs, Linda

Courtney January 16, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Way to go Holly!

Jessica January 16, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I love the Leslie videos. And you are soo right when you say that are great when you are lacking motivation. My favorite one is the old 2mile video. I think my grandmother bought it when I was in elementary school and we used to do it together. A nice little sweat.
A couple of weeks ago, I was out picking up a few things and spotted a new one called radio hits (or something like that). It is a bit tougher than others I have tried from her, but I like it, and I like the music, too.

Have a great day!
Jessica recently posted..Virtual 5k??My Profile

Beth January 16, 2014 at 6:10 pm

My mom likes those videos as well. I need to look into them!
Beth recently posted..Ten Things ThursdayMy Profile

Lori January 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Sounds like you are back in the swing of things. Good for you.

Good for your kids too, with the awards,
Lori
Lori recently posted..Restaurant ResultsMy Profile

Shay January 16, 2014 at 6:44 pm

What a great week you’ve had, Holly! I know I’ve said this before, but what helps me when I’m feeling unmotivated is just reminding myself that all I have to put in is 30-60 minutes a day (and some of my favorite stuff is even shorter than that–like T25 for 25 minutes), and for the other 23 hours, I’ll feel wonderful. It’s enough to get me going. Love this update–great job!
Shay recently posted..Pasta BoatMy Profile

Miri January 16, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Thank you! I am waiting every day to read your post. You are so brave and I know you will succeed and achieve your goals.

Linda Kuil January 16, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I love Leslie, too! You can workout in your ftickin underwear with horrific bed head and get a good sweat on! I add the weight belt and some hand weights to make it tougher. I’ll have to check out the free videos!!

Anna January 16, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Great update! Congratulations on getting your steam back, baby steps! I’m thrilled to hear about your happy experience at your kids’ school. Gratitude is a wonderful thing. I’m having some problems with depression right now, and I’m working on baby steps to get myself going too. It’s a real help to read your blog and your updates. Just keep doing what you can and keep seeking balance.

Heather C January 17, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I have a Leslie video that I’ve never used~ thanks to your post, I’m going to “break it out” and give it a shot ;o). When I saw the pic of your kids’ awards, I was surprised they weren’t in uniform. Do they get “free” days, or did the school not work out?

Holly from 300 Pounds Down January 17, 2014 at 4:53 pm

They are at a different school and I ended up returning to my previous work from home job. That’s another story I should probably blog about but it’s all going well!