Habit Series: Drinking Water

January 28, 2014 in Uncategorized

So I decided to start a series of posts this week on the topic of starting habits

When anyone embarks on a journey to lose weight, they need to start with something simple

I think drinking water is a great habit to start with because anyone can do this no matter your current size or fitness level

What we all desperately need is a feeling of accomplishment

We need to believe in ourselves again

When you have tried and failed so many times what you really crave is some hope

A chance to be successful at something and build your confidence in the possibility that you are capable of making changes

Of course we all have bad habits we want to break

Things we want to STOP doing such as overeating, binge eating or any other destructive habit that has contributed to our misery

But it is much harder to start the weight loss journey in the NEGATIVE

By saying what we do NOT want to do

And drowning in a sea of NO’s, DON’Ts and CAN’Ts

Instead we focus on ADDING new things

Starting in the positive with I CAN instead of I CAN’T

Maybe you are still downing Big Macs and bags of candy

But this week we are not worrying about that

We are worried about one simple thing

DRINKING WATER

That’s the habit we want to work on

And just like an English teacher doesn’t grade your paper based on your Math ability

We will not grade our success with our ‘water’ habit based on what junk we ate this week

Don’t we all tend to do that?

We consider our whole week a loss if we didn’t attain perfection in all areas

That is why we keep it simple

We choose one habit and our victory is based solely on that one thing

If this week you set out to start drinking water

Then your success is based on that alone

Don’t overwhelm yourself

Just keep it simple!!

Make a specific plan on how you will accomplish this

Prepare in advance

Use your favorite water bottle and fill it up at night

Grab it in the morning and start sipping away

If you do that today—YOU WIN!!

Anyone can do this

It doesn’t matter how big you are or where you are at physically

THIS IS DO-ABLE FOR YOU

Do not underestimate the value of this habit as a starting point

It is something that you can do every day and experience success

This will build your confidence and make you realize that small changes add up!

To help you get in the habit of drinking water, try downloading one of these Apps

photo-1.PNG  photo-2.PNG

I also suggest you pick up a water bottle you really love because drinking straight from the hose can be rough!

I am also focusing this week on scriptures and inspirational quotes that pertain to the theme of water

photo-4.PNG photo-5.PNG

Here is a great song by Britt Nicole with a water theme.

When I listen to this song I am reminded that we need to take that first step in faith to change habits

Even if we feel insecure and unsure if any change we attempt will make a difference

We must take that first step anyway

Even if it’s just sipping on a water bottle for a change instead of a Pepsi

Even if that is ALL you do in a positive direction that day

Remember that first step is something you do not do alone

He is with you

So what are you waiting for?

Give it a shot!!

We can change one step at a time

We can walk on the water too!!

Lori January 28, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I’m doing the water challenge with you. Thanks for the uplifting references and apps.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Just For FunMy Profile

Shelley Johnson January 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Wow, Holly! Hope you don’t get tired of people telling you how inspirational you are!! Just listened to “Walk on the Water”. It’s awesome. Boy, do we need reminded frequently (how about constantly) that we can accomplish anything with God’s help. We have to step out!!

I start my 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow and am dreading that more than anything! I know I can do it though, but will be listening to that song alot!! Along with “Overcomer”! So glad I found your blog and thank you so much for taking the time to help so many others!! God bless you, Holly!!

Patrick Smarz January 28, 2014 at 11:39 pm

That’s actually a really great idea and brilliant for it’s simplicity. I forget the exact stat but a huge percentage of us are walking around dehydrated every day and it makes us feel like general crap.

I don’t know why exactly but when I use a straw and sip throughout the day I find it easier to drink large amounts rather than when I try to chug a glass every couple hours.

Keep up the great work!
Patrick Smarz recently posted..Workouts To Build Muscle Without WeightsMy Profile

Nicola January 29, 2014 at 1:44 am

Thanks Holly, what a beautifully written post! I’m off to fill up my water bottle right now 🙂

Shay January 29, 2014 at 3:04 am

Sometimes I look at things more from a writer’s point of view (I like to fancy myself a writer–unpublished unless you count the middle school anthology to which I contributed that my 8th grade teacher typed up on a typewriter while we had study hall–which I do. I totally do count that), and I love how you set this post up and incorporated scripture, songs, and ideas on how to achieve it along with the habit itself. Cool post!!
Shay recently posted..PancakesMy Profile

LHA January 29, 2014 at 9:59 am

I am joining the water challenge! My goal is 100 oz. daily, which seems to be just the right amount when I do manage to get it in. I’ll be sipping through a straw to help me, and I love the idea of filling the water bottle at night. Thanks for the inspiration!

Bob S January 29, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Very good post! In the past, I tried lots of things to lose weight, but until I fully understood how and why to change some habits I was spinning my wheels. Like they say, it takes 21 days to change a habit so I had to stick with it. The water challenge is great.
Thanks for your help and insight!
Bob S recently posted..21DayFix.com – What Smart Women Should Know Before They Buy?My Profile