Game Plan for the Week

January 12, 2014 in Uncategorized

So this is  a post where I catch you up on what’s really been going on with me as well as a few plans for the future.

My biggest hurdle for the last 6 months has been consistency and motivation.  And let me tell you…these are 2 things that will MAKE or BREAK you when it comes to weight loss.  SERIOUSLY.  If you are consistent with even the smallest goals…then you will make progress. By that I mean, the most infinitely small and even seemingly trivial changes in your life if made with consistency will snowball into serious progress.  Conversely, inconsistency will lead to little progress, no progress and even backsliding into disaster.

Motivation is much the same.  If you can motivate yourself to do even the smallest thing once a day….and do it with consistency….you will see progress.  If you cannot motivate yourself however to make even the smallest adjustments then you will fail to make progress.  It all seems fairly cut and dry doesn’t it? Motivation or lack of motivation.   Consistency or inconsistency.  Two sides to a coin that leads to failure or success.

I have always been a procrastinator.  A couch potato.  Someone who tends to feel melancholy, depressed and negative.  That is really innately who I am.  An introvert.  An anxiety ridden worrier.  An overanalyzer.  Overthinker.  Someone who is usually paralyzed by indecision.  This personality trait is what led me to do things like change majors three times in college.  Flip flop back and forth in relationships.  Waver with major life choices.  It also is what makes me look at a puzzle and cringe.  Look at a laundry pile or sink of dishes and wonder where to begin.  Then flail myself upon  the couch with a bag of chips while turning to the Lifetime Movie Network to sweep me away into some ridiculous and dramatic movie of the week that makes me feel somehow better about my own life.

I’m never more content than when I have my netflix instant queue on the television and a full box of donuts in my lap.  That is familiar to me.  That is what brings instant peace.  It’s only a few hours and a few boxes of donuts later that I suddenly reawaken to the dishes and laundry around me and the things that are still needing my attention.  Oh then the depression sets in again as I wonder where to start.  I beat myself up for being unmotivated and after I finally reach the point of total frustration….I realize that I need some cheering up.  On to the next movie and bag of chips!  That will do the trick!

It’s a ridiculous cycle, really but one that has gone on for as long as I can remember.  I will lack consistency and motivation with my weight loss efforts just as I often do in my housework or other To-Do lists such as getting back to the dentist or mailing that important document back to whoever needs it.  I would say no personality trait of mine has been more significant than this one when it comes to many of the major issues in my life especially when it comes to my weight.

I have just about come to the conclusion that this is a part of who I am.  That it is most likely inherently a part of my internal make up.  I can’t wish it away but I can work with it.  I can monitor it.  I can own it and develop strategies to handle it…instead of letting it handle me.

I’ve put my procrastination, lack of motivation and inconsistent ways into remission before.  I had to work at it very strategically and with purpose though.  I had to set goals and treat myself like a toddler who needed step by step directions.  But hey….whatever works!

So that’s what I am going to do again to remotivate myself to get back to working out and back to eating the healthy plan that works for me.  In addition to this, I need to clean my house and do several projects that are weighing me down.  I need to get things done!!!!  And I plan to do it the only way that has ever worked for me–by setting small, achievable goals that I can check off with victory each day.

So here are my goals for this week using the strategies that have worked for me in the past.

1. EXERCISE

I am going to plan to work out this week using My Planet Fitness Routine that I started with a few years ago

If you are totally new to exercise or have a hard time even walking due to obesity I recommend starting with 30 Seconds of walking in place daily or doing the first 15 minutes of a Leslie Sansone Walking exercise video (whatever your level allows)

I wrote another post on that here  My Victory List/30 Seconds Workout

Regardless of what I do ( or what you do) the key is consistency more than anything else.  Not so much what you do but that you do SOMETHING every day.

I will post on here what I did every day this week to keep myself accountable.

2.  FOOD PLAN

I wrote a very lengthy post here on Sugar Addiction and Detoxing here

I wrote a much shorter post called “What I Eat” which you can find here a long while back full of the basic things I eat when I’m on track.  That still applies today and I plan to go back to it.

I fully admit that I have gotten pretty far away from my own advice having gained back 15 pounds and fallen back into bad habits.

My plan for this week is not to try and tackle it all at once.  I will, however, plan to drink my shakes during the day and plan/cook a meal every night this week that will fit into my low carb/low sugar food plan.

I will even post my daily dinner here as well this week.

3. HOUSECLEANING

I have so many areas of my house that need work.  I plan to tackle this using the Flylady method

Her methods are very similar to what I know works for me.  You tackle areas of the house 15 minutes at a time by dividing them into zones.

She has you start with 31 Babysteps and I will start tomorrow on Day One just as I have so many times in the past.   I know this will help me if I follow it and when the house is under control—I feel much more under control

In addition to these 3 areas I am going to address this week, I have also decided to add back into my daily plan

1. Listening to Joyce Meyer podcasts while I am on the treadmill daily  (her messages are positive and uplifting to me)

2.  Spending 15-20 minutes every morning in prayer and reading the Bible in an attempt to fill my mind with the spiritual “food” I need to gain power and strength to keep going in a positive direction each day

3. Finding a new group to attend at church where I make an effort to make good connections with like minded individuals.  This is something I have gotten away from doing as I tend to gravitate towards the recliner and netflix more than fellowship.  Weird, right? Not really for this introvert.  I still struggle with consistency in this area.  But I am going to make an active effort to try harder in this area.

So this is my game plan for the week.  To be honest, it sounds like a lot to me.  I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.  (Pun intended for this weight loss blogger…)

But this is the plan and we’ll see how it goes.

What is your plan for the week?

photo-53

Wesley January 13, 2014 at 12:29 am

Fantastic, inspiring, and best of all, glorifying God! Holly, you can do it. Get back in the trench and get to work. I know, I am in the same boat. I lost 78lbs over the last year, hit my weight goal, and then slowly succumbed to complacency. Put back on over 10lbs of fat through Christmas. But, We know what the problem is. We know what we need to do to fix it. And remember, You can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens you! That not only includes loosing 300lbs but giving you the strength to live healthy to keep it off.

I started my plan to shed that 10lbs, plus exchange the remaining fat I have for lean muscle, just today at Planet Fitness. That is how I found your blog, searching circuit exercises at PF. The Lord works in mysterious ways and he is clearly working in your life. Praise the Lord! Wesley

Holly from 300 Pounds Down January 13, 2014 at 12:35 am

Thank you and congratulations on your weight loss! Do you have a blog? If so, feel free to add a link in the comments section so we can follow you 🙂

tori January 13, 2014 at 1:43 am

you’re post could have been written for/by me…I dwaddle (fancy word for procrastinate) and then get over whelmed when “piles” emerge out of “no where” even though I knew what was going to happen by dwaddling. I’ve piled back on 50 of the 55 lbs I lost 3 yrs ago. but I’m ok now And I am with you in taking baby steps to get to where I need to be. I wish motivation came natural to me…I also wish a happy disposition came natural…but baby steps….Have a great week.
tori recently posted..Things to consider for 2014My Profile

sherry January 13, 2014 at 3:01 am

This post was downright eerie. The Netflix. The chips. The Lifetime movies. The procrastination. Overanalyzation. Overthinking. Anxiety. Inconsistency. And then your plan – Flylady, Joyce Meyer … it sounded like you were really talking about me! (Except I am closer to your before picture than your after :/ )

Best of luck!

Sherry

Kim January 13, 2014 at 3:47 am

As always you are an inspiration. It is scary how easy it is to slip into old habits. I know I have been there many times before. This is what makes it so hard, you never finish, you only hope the battle gets easier. All you can do is what you are doing, form a plan and follow through with. Just appreciate how far you have come. You’ve come a long way.

Mrs. Swan January 13, 2014 at 4:37 am

I have been slacking with my blog reading. I just re-found you (WHY have I not added you to my blog reader lists?? Procrastinator, I am) Almost every single one of your posts speak to me so I am happy that now have finally added you to my list. A unspoken change that I am trying in the new year is to procrastinate LESS. So far, so good. 🙂
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Family hikeMy Profile

LHA January 13, 2014 at 4:50 am

Thank you. Thank you. Simply…..thank you. This post was inspirational, motivational and just what I needed to read. Again, thank you.

Heather C. January 13, 2014 at 5:20 am

This week Friday will be my “start” day. I realize it’s toward the end of the week, but I have a doctor’s apt out of state (yes, out of state) on Thursday. In 3 months we will adopt my foster daughter. I really don’t want to be this heavy in the pictures!! You are so right when you say that a lot of it is motivation. I haven’t been motivated since Halloween. All the junk food keeps calling me. I’m ready to tell it to take a hike! And, I need to get back to working out regularly. When I was, I didn’t have migraines & I had a lot more energy. Why I haven’t continued my good habits is beyond me, because the payoff for the way I was feeling with good habits far outweighs how I am feeling now.

Bancy January 13, 2014 at 5:21 am

This sounds so much like me… The funny thing is the more you beat yourself up about procrastination the worse it gets. All the best this week.

Robin January 13, 2014 at 11:31 am

Great post, so glad youre back!!!!1 This is just what I need to help me shed the remainder of my weight. I recently lost 43 pounds, need to lose 48 more. Over Christmas what a struggle with a family fight going on, an infected tooth which caused me to miss a week of work well its been rough! Now Im right here with you. Time to get it done.

Courtney January 13, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I’m glad to see you creating an action plan. I recently was considering the pros and cons of different lifestyle approaches: big changes all at once vs. small, gradual changes. I came to the conclusion that I’ve tried a lot more of the big changes all at once approach, and while it may be a method that works for some, it isn’t one that works well for me.

So I decided I will give the small, gradual changes method an honest shot. I made a list of lifestyle changes I would like to make (that can grow or be changed as I move ahead), and each week I will pick one or two changes to implement. If I stick with it over time I imagine my eating habits will look very different from what they currently are! For my first week I picked drinking 64 oz. of water a day and eating a salad (it can be a large one or a side salad) every day.

One last thought. I know we all have to find a balance between being to easy on ourselves and really heaping the tasks on, but I hope if you feel too overwhelmed by the tasks you’ve selected for yourself that you’ll dial back your expectations just a little while you adjust to all the good changes you’re making. I don’t think anyone here expects you to be superwoman and turn everything around in an instant. 🙂

Leah January 13, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Its as if I wrote this. My plan for this week is I am not going to overeat and I will get on my elliptical (3 to 4 times this week). I aim for 20 minutes. I will read a chapter in my Bible too (will try for every night). That will be pretty much what I am going to do everyday but I am telling myself one day at a time. You are an inspiration. I am going to get back to loving myself enough to take care of myself.

Beth January 13, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I’m totally checking out the housekeeping site. Thanks for sharing! I love your goals.
Beth recently posted..Weekend RecapMy Profile

Lori January 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I did great listening to books while I did the ellipitcal. I did best with mysteries or intrigue where I really had to pay attention to the action. I’d only allow myself to listen while I was exercising and sometimes I kept on going to get to the end of a chapter. Good luck to you.
Lori recently posted..Current Plan of AttackMy Profile

Taryl January 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Be very, very careful with Joyce Meyer – her theology is not sound, especially in recent years. Can I sweetly recommend Elyse Fitzpatrick for some reading instead? “Love to Eat, Hate to Eat” may be a very helpful resource for you, and she’s orthodox instead of prosperity preacher/Word of Faith (borderline at best, out and out heretical at worst).

In terms of listening, things like The Dividing Line, Wretched Radio, Grace To You, and even RC Sproul (Renewing Your Mind) are much more theologically sound (and therefore truly restorative, not just feel-good platitudes but the refreshing renewal of your mind by scripture.

I wish you the very best, your plan sounds great! For me to overcome procrastination, I used “Managers of their Homes” and the schedule and discline needed to do life in 15-30 minute blocks was revolutionary for me. The Lord moved the resource into my at just the right time, and it’s only helped things as I’ve had more children and homeschooled. But even as a single person, learning to prioritize my time and stick to a solid routine would have been life changing. But it wasn’t too late to adopt it and be blessed by the change, either 😉

I find my workouts are most consistent when I’m waking early, as is my bible study. I hate this, because I’m a natural nightowl. But the shift has so dramatically helped my day that now I’m a complete convert. I will never love waking up at 5 am or 5:30, but I can’t make the day successful without spending two or three hours getting bible study, workouts, and piano practice done before the kids are woken up. My attitude is 100% better when I’ve had that peaceful! productive time. It also sets the tone for the entire day instead of waking up already feeling two steps behind.

Hugs!
Taryl recently posted..Three Women, Three SolutionsMy Profile

Beth M. January 13, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Holly,
It’s SO wonderful to see you back and posting regularly – you inspire me!
I think my motivation is a “high maintenance” kind of girl – she requires regular attention!
Late last year I came across the website of Stanford University Professor BJ Fogg describing his “tiny habits” method to behavior change. You can sign up with him for a week of emails to practice new tiny habits. I found his technique of “anchoring” to be particularly effective (not just “I will do three pushups every day”, but “when I turn the water on for my morning shower, I will do three pushups” – anchoring a new habit (pushups) to an existing one (daily shower). The other key elements are making the changes TINY, and CELEBRATING every time you do them – feels silly, but really works, at least for me. Give it a look – it’s free. If nothing else, it’s an extra confidence booster than you can make changes, and stick to them.

Sheryl Chandler January 13, 2014 at 10:09 pm

We are a lot alike, Holly! I’m a real introvert, and all the other things you mentioned.
Sheryl Chandler recently posted..Thursday to Weigh-InMy Profile

Anna January 14, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Fantastic article. I find such practical advice in your entries. I’m glad you’re writing again.

Colleen White January 19, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Holly, I will say it again. I am so glad you are back to blogging! There are lots of blogs out here in the blogosphere and all of them are of value but God has given you something really special to share with the rest of us. I can relate so much to you and your procrastination issues but what is really wonderful is that you take ownership of it all and you make a plan. Duh, gee, maybe I can learn to do that is what goes through my mind, LOL! Hang in there, beautiful girl, you have come so far and inspired so many that you will never know about. Keep going, keep talking about it and you and those beautiful children will be okay!

Kerri February 9, 2014 at 12:56 am

You are always so right on!!! Love the way you recognize what needs to be done. Good luck. Hang in there. you are so motivational and inspirational to me!
Kerri recently posted..On a mission. Detoxing from sugar.My Profile