Getting Back On Track

August 29, 2013 in Uncategorized

I’ve been here before

Needing to get back on track

It happens every so often

And I’ve learned over time what I need to do

To get back to where I need to be

This is week 2 of back to school!

And to be honest, it’s been really good for me

Working from home was wonderful

But full of temptations

It led to many days where pajamas were my main outfit

And laziness took over

In addition to this,  I was homeschooling which we enjoyed

But often made it easy for me to stay away from the gym

Now I’m up and out the door to get my kids to school on time

photo-626

Here are CJ and Charlotte stopping by my classroom to say HI!

I love working at the same school that my children attend

It’s a joy to see them throughout the day

This week I made an effort to stop procrastinating

And to start decluttering

I had tons of clothes in my closet that I needed to weed out

And I finally got the job done

photo-627

It took me another 3 days to get these bags into my trunk and off to Goodwill

Because like I said….I’m a procrastinator!!

But it felt so good to get it accomplished

I spent an entire day going through a Rubbermaid container full of papers

And hours with the paper shredder

But I got that accomplished too

Laundry, dishes, and decluttering

Believe it or not—getting these things done actually helps to decrease my appetite

Because when I get stressed and depressed….I EAT

And a cluttered, disorganized house leads to depression

So this is actually helping me to get back on track

I finally made it back to Planet Fitness

My workouts have been VERY hit or miss the past few months

And getting back on track does not mean jumping back in full force

I have learned that if I dread going to the gym

It’s often because I feel overwhelmed

I feel like I’m out of shape and too far gone to ever get back on track

So I tell myself to take it slow

To not get overwhelmed

But just do the best I can

As long as I GO

As long as I check that victory box

That says I did SOMETHING

ANYTHING

Aside from laying on the couch

My daughter, Savannah, went with me

photo-628

photo-629

To start out with…..I rode the recumbent bike for 10 minutes

This is what I used to do in the beginning

So back to the beginning I go

photo-630

I have arthritis in my  knee

And the recumbent bike has always made a big difference

Not having been on the bike for a few months

Has made it glaringly obvious to me what a difference it makes

My  knee has become more stiff and the pain has returned

I am confident that getting back on the bike daily will remedy that in no time!

Exercise is not just about losing weight and burning calories

For me, it’s about not being stiff

Being more flexible and able to move easily

And improving my mood and confidence to keep going

After that, I made it to the treadmill

I went 1 mile alternating between walking and jogging

I was pleased that I had not lost all my progress

I was able to jog .20 of a mile at two different intervals

But my hip was definitely giving me issues!

That’s another thing that will go away the more I hit the gym

photo-631

I managed to go 1 mile in 19 minutes and 11 seconds

And that will be my starting time to try and improve on

As I get back in the gym every day

I have to admit that I didn’t want to go

I walked in feeling depressed

But I walked out feeling victorious!!!

Even though I’ve managed to fall backwards in my progress

Having regained some weight and gotten out of working out

I know that I can get back to where I used to be

And even surpass that in time!

While I was at Planet Fitness

I noticed that Mandisa was on Good Morning America

Singing her new song OVERCOMER

It reminded me that nothing is impossible!!

No matter how far we may  have slipped

We can overcome and find our way back to redemption!!

My next stop was the grocery store

To stock up on the main things I eat that help me detox and get back on track

Rotisserie Chicken

Greek Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olive, feta cheese)

Greek Salad Dressing

This was my lunch

And it always satisfies!

photo-632

photo-633

Next stop…..the shake aisle!!!

To stock up on my shakes!

These are the shakes I use to detox off sugar

photo-634

The best way I know to get back on track

Is to drink shakes during the day

And eat my chicken and greek salad at night

Or some other low carb meal

Steak, pork chops, hamburger, chicken

As long as I control the sugar and stay away from bread

I find my appetite decreases

And my willpower regains control

As the sugar leaves me

I also need to increase my water intake

That is something I have always struggled with

And lately I’ve been tempted to grab a soda instead of a water

Another slippery slope that sneaks up on me before I know it

So I bought this today as well

photo-635

In addition to all this, I’ve restarted my habit of watching Joyce Meyer in the mornings

It doesn’t seem to matter what the subject matter is

She always uplifts and encourages me to keep moving forward

To keep trying

To keep perservering

Ironically she was speaking today

On the “Deception of Comprimise”

Something I have struggled with a lot these past few months

When we compromise in small ways

It can often lead to much bigger problems

One soda leads to the case

One cookie leads to the box

One glass of wine leads to the bottle

Whatever your struggle may be

When we know where our limits lie

And then we comprimise anyway

We often find ourselves deep in a pit

Wondering if we can ever crawl out

The good news is….YES WE CAN!

This week I decided to take control

To start making positive steps towards getting back on track

Today was my best day yet

I was able to accomplish several things that I know will help me

Gain ground and move forward

And that’s what it’s all about

Just not giving up

Taking steps….no matter how small

To move forward

How are you moving forward today?

Mrs. Swan August 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

As always- A great post! 🙂 All the same stuff (except I like the chocolate delight flavor) would enter my cart for a detox as well. I just find a shake so easy for b-fast myself. For many years I have skipped b-fast. Now I have a shake or overnight oats. I am not 100% sure how I feel about the oats yet though. I will not recommend them as they do have oatmeal and that is carby. No where near bread carby but still carby sugar. It doesn’t seem to trigger me but it may others. Yeah for the gym!
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Tell me about you…My Profile

Leah August 29, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I am reminding myself to stay focused in every moment. I had my Herbalife shake and fiber mixed in for breakfast. I walked again last night- 45 minutes. Didn’t snack at bedtime. I have to treat my overeating and not taking care of my self as an addiction and stay focused, that is how I succeeded in the past.

Pam August 29, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I have cut back on eating the last several days. Losing my beloved dog Lola, made me lose my appetite. But I can’t make myself walk ALONE up the road. I miss Lola so much. I’m working on it….every day is a little easier.
Pam recently posted..Some Thoughts on WLSMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down August 29, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about Lola!!!

Jack Sh*t August 29, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I’m taking two steps forward and one step back… BUT THAT’S STILL MOVING FORWARD, ISN’T IT?

Caron August 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Yea! You are doing great with the changes. Keep it up. 🙂
Caron recently posted..I’m Trying to Make a DecisionMy Profile

Courtney August 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm

What you said about dreading your workout being linked to being overwhelmed really registered with me. I started a workout plan that was really hard, but the results were amazing. Unfortunately, even with me modifying to bring it down to what I thought was a more realistic level for me, it was still too much. I was feeling nauseous and disoriented and even a bit depressed. Eventually, I looked up those symptoms and discovered that they are the result of working out way too hard or for too long at a time. I pulled back from working out, and now unfortunately am having a hard time starting back up. I guess now I’m sorting of feeling like if I don’t do everything I was doing (even knowing it was making me ill) before it doesn’t count.

anne August 29, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I recently had a similar experience – I joined a gym because I really missed swimming. Joining included a free session with a personal trainer, who set me up with a cardio and weight training plan. I was religious about following it for about two weeks, but kept getting more and more dizzy and nauseated while working out. I, too, tried cutting back, but I finally got to where I just couldn’t force myself to the gym.

After awhile, I decided I needed to go back, but I went back and just swam. No formal cardio on the machines, no weights, just swimming. Eventually I want to add the other stuff back in – slowly – but for now, I’m sticking with just the swimming. Anything else still feels overwhelming, and just the swimming itself still makes me feel nauseated.

Just swimming still counts, though. Even if I go and do a lap, it still counts. A little bit of working out is better than nothing, and that little lap will eventually grow into a mile of non-stop swimming. As long as I keep going.

I hope you go back. I hope you start again, maybe with one set instead of three; five reps instead of twenty; two days instead of seven; and work your way up to what you were doing before. I hope you find a level that doesn’t make you sick and then work up from there. I hope I do the same.

Elaine August 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm

🙂 have an awesome day

16blessingsmom August 29, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I am so glad you are getting back on track! If you can do it, I can do it. Apathy and fatigue set in quickly for me, those excuses….but when I read your blog, your determination really strengthens me. Keep at it, Holly, and keep sharing. There are so many of us in the same boat, fighting each and every day to not just stay afloat, but gain victory over all the things that would snare us. I do believe that God answers our prayers, and sends us just what we need:)

Della

LHA August 30, 2013 at 1:54 am

I am so often amazed at how your posts mirror my own life. I am very different from you in many ways, but so very much like you in food and life issues! As always this post was inspiring. I have been struggling for the past two months to get back to eating the way I know works for me. Why is it so hard to do what you know makes you feel better physically and emotionally and also makes you a happier person? I am going to try very hard to keep your example in my mind and get back to exercise and go to the grocery and get the tools I need to keep losing weight. Thank you for posting frequently and offering such good information to your readers. Good luck in getting back on track, and also with the new school year!

brandy August 30, 2013 at 7:44 am

I watched you story on Utube and I cried It was beautiful and inspiring. I’m 8 months out and started at 450 and now I’m 302. The problem is I’m slipping back into my old ways. Eating things that I shouldn’t and not working out enough. I need to get back on track like you talked about here. Its nice to know that you can always get back on track. =)

Nicola August 30, 2013 at 9:17 am

Go Holly go!! Great work 🙂

Lori August 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Good for you for getting back on track. I am trying to lose the same 30 pounds I’ve already lost twice. I’ve told myself that it is OK since I’ve kept off 50+, but it really isn’t OK. While, I’m glad I haven’t regained everything, it doesn’t make regaining acceptable. I’ve promised myself this is the last time I’ll relose this weight and my next stop is goal weight.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Fabulous BirthdayMy Profile

Merrily Brown August 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I had to trick myself into going to crossfit today. I actually looked online to see what the workout was, thinking if it looked too hard I’d stay home. But it didn’t look too hard and I went. I feel like I’ve gone backwards too. While I’m still pretty consistent at crossfit, my diet hasn’t been great. I gave up artificial sweeteners which has helped in my hunger battle. I had given up beer, but fell off that wagon a few weeks ago. Your post today has inspired me to really crack down again. Thanks Holly for how you inspire me.
Merrily Brown recently posted..Help! I Don’t Want To Quit Shopping!! Am I a shopping addict?My Profile

Sheryl C. August 31, 2013 at 2:58 am

I am working on being consistent with my workouts and staying on Atkins. I have lost my first 5 pounds on Atkins, which means I am finally moving again. So glad you are taking positive steps, Holly!
Sheryl C. recently posted..5 Pounds and a RewardMy Profile

Sally August 31, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I just got a part time job where Ill be on my feet instead of sitting all day. It will get me moving as well as out of the house and away from temptations. Plus, I can stop by the thrift store on the way home and gauge my weight loss via clothing. I find that I need to see my body in a full mirror to get a real life view and not fool myself. While I don’t need clothes, I do need to stay on track and it also gives me incentive to stay on plan. Cute clothes are cute!

Julie September 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Crazy, huh?? Positive things bring a positive result and then we just stop. Sometimes for no reason. Then our old habits creep back into our lives. Why do we do that to ourselves? In the pool, I have zero back pain. I’m disabled due to my back. I could go to aqua aerobics..zero pain, burning calories, increased flexibility….and why don’t I go?? My hair gets messed up and I have to wash and refix it.. What a dumb excuse, when there are so many positives to go. 🙁

Max Arthur March 2, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yes. It’s nice to be back on track.
Max Arthur recently posted..Play Lead Guitar My Profile