Consistency

August 21, 2013 in Uncategorized

My brother always tells me

That the most important aspect of working out

Is not what you are doing

Or even how long you do it

But THAT you do it

Consistency is key“, he always tells me

In the beginning, I could barely find the motivation to work out at all

So he said

30 Seconds

That’s all you have to do

BUT…..

And here’s the fine print

You have to do it

EVERY SINGLE DAY

Consistency is the key

Not all of this is about the physical

In fact for me

It’s more mental than physical

Because the hardest part of my workout

Is just getting there

Just getting out of the bed

Getting my feet into the shoes

When all I really want to do

Is burrow further into the covers

And go back to my dreams

But my REAL dreams aren’t found in my sleep

Because my real dream was to be healthy

To be an active Mom who could participate in her children’s lives

And THAT dream can only be found

With getting out of bed

Not slipping further into it

The mental aspect is the killer

Lee has taught me to combat this with consistency

If you do something every day

You get to check the victory box

Maybe you just walked 10 minutes

At least that’s what it looks like you did

But really you did SO MUCH MORE

Because you flipped the mental switch

You did something consistently

Every single day

You told yourself

Even if I can only do 10 minutes

Then I will do it

Even if I can only do 5 minutes

Then I will do it

Because it’s not always about what you do

Or how long you do it

Its THAT you do it

Once you let it sink into your system

That there will be no excuses

That the workout WILL happen

No matter what

No matter where

IT JUST WILL

Then it will become a habit

And habits are what build our lives into dreams coming true

Or disasters in the making

consistency.002

Rhonda W August 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Consistency absolutely is the KEY to weight loss, fitness, and maintenance. I yo yo’d with my weight for YEARS and have now maintained for over four … mainly because I am consistent with my exercise. It isn’t that exercise burns off all the “excess” calories… but what it does is put you in a healthy mental state. When you get up in the morning and do your work-out you are ready to make the day the best it can be. You are doing great Holly. Thanks so much for sharing your story and hope the new job is going well. Hugs, Rhonda

Courtney August 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm

You are absolutely right about consistency. Consistency is what I’ve been working on lately. It started out with just getting workouts in, but as I work out regularly I find that I want to eat better in order to really see the full pay off of my workouts. It is great the way those two things become a cycle of healthier behavior. 🙂

Merrily Brown August 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

The hardest part for me is walking out the door. Most days I just don’t feel like going. But I trick myself by saying “just walk through the door…if you still don’t feel like it when you get there, say hi and leave.” Seems to work. I’ve kept at crossfit for 15 months. I have discovered that I can’t do it alone at home. I never finish. That also motivates me to go to the box. I have to have others to finish.
Merrily Brown recently posted..Help! I Don’t Want To Quit Shopping!! Am I a shopping addict?My Profile

Trish August 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm

You are absolutely correct. Consistency is key! One day at a time.
Trish recently posted..Grab & Go Meal IdeasMy Profile

Sheryl C. August 21, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I needed this. I think sometimes why I am having trouble is I am expecting myself to do too much. If I only think I can do 15 minutes, I need to do that (and many times it will turn into more). Thanks, Holly.
Sheryl C. recently posted..Atkins – Day OneMy Profile

Natalie August 21, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I am also applying this to writing a novel. Many days I don’t want to. Some days it is really hard. Once I only wrote about 30 words in half an hour. But getting into the habit of doing it is important.

Jane t. August 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Love this! Very, very good point. Sometimes I think that I can’t work out because I don’t have 45 min or whatever. Just doing that 10 minutes keeps the mind on the right track. Thanks!

Elaine August 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I love that thought. I work out at night (8pm or later) because that’s my snacking hour. Sometimes just getting to the gym is half the battle. I appreciate your post today because even a short workout is better than no workout!

Sheila August 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Consistency is a huge key to everything! Not only in weight loss, exercise, etc. but also in almost every aspect of life! So so so true, great post Holly!
Sheila recently posted..TTTMy Profile

16blessingsmom August 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I simply don’t know why our own selves are our worst enemies. I WANT to fit in my workout every day. I want to take that morning walk. But oh my, the thoughts that come each and every day that want to sabotage that! It’s hot out. I’m tired! I need to wash up a few dishes first! Maybe later! So Holly, this is the very reason why I love you, and that you share and encourage!!! WE NEED IT! Resolve fades, enthusiasm wanes….but when we turn on our computers and read about those who fight not only the fight of faith, but the fight to get our butts in gear and exercise, wow!!! So thank you, and keep up the good work!

Della

Julie August 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Boy, this is where I struggle the most…CONSISTANT exercise. I’ve been working with a wonderful therapist on why I self-sabotage, etc. the final component I’ve been struggling with is daily exercise. I can go work out for a ton one day, then not again for a month… Well, it’s a work in progress. Thank you for your post!

Karen P August 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Yes! So true. Showing up every day, consistency is key- IMO. Even when you don’t feel like it. Those few days when you don’t feel like it will pass and you’ll be progressing on in your positive habits rather than a negative habit cycle.

Keep up the consistency- Holly. Good work
Karen P recently posted..Setting up my food template for weight maintenance- Paleo & Primal, the transitionMy Profile

Shay August 25, 2013 at 7:53 pm

This is SO TRUE, Holly. My friends always ask me where I find the time, how I manage to work out as much as I do, etc., etc., and I tell them–I don’t consider it an option. It does so many good things for me that I just make sure I schedule it into my day every single day. I do take a day or two off per week, but usually they’re scheduled, too, so that I can make sure I get the necessary 5 workouts in while looking forward to the days off. 🙂
Shay recently posted..Fly on the Wall: Golden Child EditionMy Profile