Back To School

August 20, 2013 in Uncategorized

As I mentioned in a previous post

My family has big changes on the horizon

I accepted a new teaching position at a private school

And they were generous enough to give all of my children

Big scholarships to cover most of the tuition

So they could come with me!

In order to get my kids ready for school

We had to go uniform shopping

That was a serious ordeal!!

A lot of people are in the uniform store

So there was a very long line

And then there was waiting to check sizes

In and out of the dressing room

Only to discover that they did not have what we needed

And we had to drive across town and start again

This would have been an insurmountable task for me

2 years ago

But now it’s just another day

The amazing miracle that weight loss provides

In the little things and every day tasks that become much easier

My kids were nervous

And so was I

Getting the kids ready for school

Plus myself

Was a little nerve wracking

photo(1)

We arrived at the school

And instead of dropping them at the door

Like I always did in the past

I was able to park and walk them in

This is a very big deal to a child that is at a new school

And wary about figuring out where to go

At 417 pounds it was all I could do to just get them there

But I would never get out of the car

I’d watch them walk in alone

From behind the windshield

Because I could barely walk at all

But this morning was different

I parked the car

And I walked all my kids in

I stood around as long as they wanted me to

Because it didn’t hurt my knees or feet to do so

I was able to go back and see my kids at lunch

Walk up and down the hallways with ease

Fit in one of those wrap around desks made for students

With plenty of room!

I can walk across campus

Up and down stairs

Even in the heat

Nothing phases me anymore

The last time I was here I was out of breath at every turn

But today is a whole new world

One where I feel as if I grew wings and can fly!

I used to teach at this school

But my students who were 7th graders

Are now seniors

And some of them I barely recognized at all!

The boys were so much taller

Their voices deeper

No longer the little boys I remember

They’re now young men

But many did not recognize me either!

240 pounds thinner than the last time they saw me

So we both have changed in more ways than one!

They’re older and wiser

But so am I

The years have taught me many things

Not just about diet and fitness

But about appreciating the little things in life

Like fitting in a desk

A desk that has the chair attached!!!

The kind that gives almost NO mercy to the overweight!

And there was room left over!

photo(2)

Being able to get out of a car and walk your child into the school

Going up and down stairs without cringing in pain

Life was never meant to be so hard

Not with every step you take

And it used to be that way for me

Each and every inch of the sidewalk felt like a marathon

But today I walk it effortlessly

And I can notice the things around me

The beautiful campus that surrounds me

Scenery that used to go unnoticed by me

When pain was all I could see

This is the beginning of a new adventure

And while I’m nervous about the things to come

I know that today I can walk boldly in a new direction

That 2 years ago was little more than an impossible dream

It all started when I got up from the couch

And started walking 30 seconds at a time

Hoping that 30 seconds might multiply into something more

And it did

It multiplied into a brand new life

Not just for myself

But for my children as well

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 20, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Congrats to all of you on your new adventure and so glad you’re able to go back and teach without having to worry about the pressures and pain that the extra weight used to bring. You rock!
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh recently posted..Setting back the women’s movementMy Profile

Courtney August 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm

So happy to see you and your children flourishing from all your hard work, not to mention their support! You all deserve every moment of it! 🙂

Dagny Kight August 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm

School uniforms are THE BEST!! I had to grow up to realize what wearing a uniform for 12 years of school did for me. First, it takes concern for your clothes and what everybody else is wearing off your mind. Kids look all the same, nobody has the fanciest, newest, trendiest anything. We’re there to focus on school! But having been “the fat girl,” wearing a uniform spared me the trauma of having to dress for school every day. I keep seeing a JC Penney commercial about a girl who’s planning her school style and I recall how I was spared from all of that. And it sure was cheaper for my parents…. Congratulations on your new position!
Dagny Kight recently posted..Resolving Our Conflicting Weight ConversationsMy Profile

Heather C. August 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Holly~ I’ve been thinking about and praying for you! Wondering when everyone’s “big first day” would be. Thank you for sharing your success! While I believe this job offers less freedom in obvious ways than your work-from-home arrangement, I think in no time at all you will discover that God did this for your great benefit. I am already thinking of the paid vacations you will get as a teacher and the time you will be spending with your children. Wahoo!!!

Tess August 20, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Awesome!! I’m so excited for you! What a great memory, walking your kids into their first day of school!! 🙂

Pam August 20, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Had my first call last night to substitute teach. I still can’t believe I am finally capable of doing that, almost 40 years after I got my degree. So many things that others take for granted, we can appreciate Holly….like fitting in a chair/desk, being able to walk into a school building and up the stairs and down the hall and stand for long periods of time. Such simple things–and yet in a way—it is a miracle that we are both able to do them now. I never want to lose that sense of awe and gratefulness at being able to do these small things, because when you can’t do them, they aren’t small at all!
Pam recently posted..Amber’s FourthMy Profile

Kathy August 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Holly, thank you so much for writing your wonderful and inspirational AND motivational posts! When a few days goes by and you have gotten to post one I really miss them.

What an incredible time in you and your family’s life! I am soooo happy for you…just some of the rewards of your dedication and hard work. That really is the answer, there are no magic secrets. It is all about food and moving! You are awesome to remember where you were to help others on their journey that may still be where you started, and also to celebrate the victories of today!

How is the food part going? Are you feeling strong? I know you can keep walking the path…just look at all the “gifts” you have received along the way!!!! Not to mention what you have done to change every experience of your children’s growing up years. Pretty awesome!!!

Thanks too for the pictures. I love them all!

🙂

Lori August 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Good luck with the new job. I hope it works out well for all of you.
Lori
Lori recently posted..A Sudden ThoughtMy Profile

sunnydaze August 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

What an exciting day for everyone. I just know that things are working our perfectly for you with your new life. I can only imagine the look of surprise on some of the student’s faces when they find out that you’re the same teacher that used to work there years ago! I love how you’re savoring every moment. You go! 😀

Paula August 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Holly,
I am so happy for you and your children and so proud of you. You encourage me to walk the next 30 seconds..

Have a blessed school year; you deserve it.

Karen P August 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Awesomeness Holly!!! Congrats on your new job and the kids new school. Glad that you can use your benefits to the fullest. I love the photo of you at the desk. You look so happy. Take care this fall. 🙂 Karen P
Karen P recently posted..Transition from weight loss to weight maintenance- tools- 90 day opt out- be a studentMy Profile

Shay August 21, 2013 at 2:12 am

My cousin had ALS, and she made me realize every single day what a blessing it is to simply be able to move in the smallest of ways. Similarly, your journey has taught you what a blessing it is to be able to do things like this. Congrats, Holly. So awesome!!
Shay recently posted..Something a Little DifferentMy Profile

Sheryl C. August 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm

It’s so great that you can work and be there for your kids at the same time. A dream come true for most mothers. Congratulations!
Sheryl C. recently posted..Atkins – Day OneMy Profile

Ronda August 21, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Congrats on the new job and especially for the scholarships! What a great turn for your family.
Best of luck!

Lorenda August 22, 2013 at 2:09 am

Have a great school year! I’m excited for you!

jay August 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

so cool! congrats!

Kelly@CurvyFitGirl August 27, 2013 at 12:28 am

I’m so excited for you, Holly! Remember that change is good, and to take change in stride! 🙂
Kelly@CurvyFitGirl recently posted..Quick Recipes.My Profile