Strategies: How to stop yourself

July 15, 2013 in Uncategorized

I’ve had to work on using multiple strategies to avoid overeating.

Food has always been a big draw for me and the first thing I go to when I’m:

Stressed

Depressed

Angry/Upset

Worried/Nervous/Anxious

You name it and the food is there to comfort me

But it’s an unhealthy pattern and it’s been difficult to break

When I want to go to the food and I’m overwhelmed by the thought

Here are a few things I tell myself in those moments:

1.   This feeling is temporary

You will not feel this way forever.  The way that you are feeling right now IS temporary.

You may be consumed right now with panic and anxiety but this will not always be the case.

Right now in this moment, you think you will always feel this way.

You think that the rest of your life will be consumed by the thought of the food that is sitting before you.

But that is a lie because this feeling is temporary

IT WILL PASS

Knowing that it will pass is critical because your mind will tell you that it never will

It will trick you into believing that the only thing you can do to make this urge go away is to eat

So it’s important to remind ourselves that it will pass

It’s temporary

So wade through it knowing there is an end to this craving

2.  You can still have the food if you want it

If you really want the food, you can have it.

It hasn’t gone anywhere.

It hasn’t disappeared.

It is not locked up.

You can get it if you want it.

The food will be there in 5 seconds from now or 5 days from now.

It is not leaving you.

So you don’t have to feel that you can never eat what you want again.

You just have to remember that the food will be there later if you decide to eat it.

But in the meantime….

You are in control.

Not the food

3. You didn’t die

Set a timer and go 3 minutes without eating it.

You didn’t die! You survived!

You just gave yourself 3 minutes without eating it.

That proves you can do a least 3 minutes.

It didn’t kill you.

And now you know that you can survive without it—for at least 3 minutes, right?

Each time you go any amount of time without giving in you have just attained victory.

Habits take time.

Try to go 15 minutes and see what happens.

Even if you eat it later, recognize you waited longer than you did before

And know that each time you conquer one extra minute—-you have accomplished something

As time goes on, you will gain more strength and control when you practice this

It takes time to create the habit of going to food when you’re not hungry

So it will take time to reverse that behavior

Give yourself time

Give yourself credit

And keep going

Change is possible

annamarie July 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Holly thank you so much for all your hints, help, inspiration, whatever you want to call it. I have been in such a slump mood, attitude and your posts are helping me so much.
Especially with your last post, just hearing your voice gave me hope. I have been visualing the circle with me in it, and I have been holding onto that dearly. It has really helped me the last two days, and those days were the weekend, which is my biggest downfall.
I am so thankful to God, that he has directed me to you.

annamarie recently posted..Need to snap out of itMy Profile

Caron July 15, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Great post, Holly. I will add that I’ve also used food to celebrate all the good times in addition to the stressful ones. You might say I would celebrate the falling of a leaf — any excuse to overeat. 🙁
Caron recently posted..Sunday MorningMy Profile

Losing The Rolls July 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm

These are great tips Holly. I have come to realize that I seek comfort in food in times of stress or anxiety. Food has been a crutch, but I’m in the process of kicking the bad habits. I think the last tip would be of great help, setting a timer and walking away from the food. It will give me a chance to think about whether or not I can live without the food. Of course I can, but walking way will help get my mind off the temporary fix and on to something else. Have a great week.
Losing The Rolls recently posted..Weigh-In: July 14, 2013My Profile

Sheryl C. July 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Holly, this is great information. Thank you so much for sharing your insight. I will use these methods next time I am struggling. Best to you.
Sheryl C. recently posted..SundayMy Profile

Sheryl C. July 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I am also trying to replace the old habits with new ones. Many times these scenarios happen because I am not busy enough and I am bored. I am learning that, for me, busy is better. You probably don’t have that problem with four kids to take care of!
Sheryl C. recently posted..SundayMy Profile

Mary Ellen Quigley July 15, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This is something I am still working on. I have always ate my feelings. It’s such a hard habit to break.
Mary Ellen Quigley recently posted..Time for a ConfessionMy Profile

Katie j July 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thank you for this! I’ve been struggling for the past few months going a little crazy on weekends or at night ruining my days. Habits do take time. I will definitely be referencing these tips in the future!

LHA July 15, 2013 at 7:57 pm

These are wonderful tips! I also use a similar strategy about wanting to eat at night when I am really not hungry. I will tell myself “If you still want this in the morning you can have it then.” I almost never still want the food! Sometimes I use a delaying tactic even for a longer period. If I am craving pizza or some other food that has been placed in the “very infrequently eaten” pile, I will say to myself “Wait till the weekend when friends are coming over if you want this” or “Wait till the whole family is on vacation to eat this”. That way I can assure there will be other people around to help consume the food, and also it is possible that when those times come I will have completely forgotten about it. Every little tip helps us all, so thanks so much for your blog.

Linda July 16, 2013 at 2:10 am

Wonderful post Holly! I also choose food after a stressful moment – almost like a “relief” moment where I can then unwind with food – the ultimate comfort. Or so I think at the time. Take a moment to realize that the food will still be there is very helpful!
Linda recently posted..Smoke and Tennis ElbowMy Profile

Shay July 16, 2013 at 2:10 am

Always love your posts, Holly. It’s awesome that you share what you’ve learned through your journey with the world. Rock on!!
Shay recently posted..OversharingMy Profile

Pam Suttles July 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for sharing, and trying to help others

robin July 16, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Good post, Im gonna try this when I do indeed think Ill die if I don’t get to cram my face with junk. Mostly happens under stress, and theres a lot of stress in my life right now. Things that I have zero control over. But I do have control over my health. If Im dead and buried this isn’t going to help matters either. I need to be a strong and mighty woman.

Tess July 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Love it!!

Kenlie July 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I love every part of this message. I like the idea of putting a timer on, then realizing that you made it through that craving. I’m totally going to try that.
Kenlie recently posted..Friend Makin’ Mondays: Foodie QuestionsMy Profile

Nicola July 17, 2013 at 3:30 am

Great post Holly 🙂 I also follow the “wait 15 minutes” process. I also love this as a weight loss strategy: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/71630_524200187633210_1691063213_n.jpg

chris July 19, 2013 at 7:20 am

I love every single one of your posts…fear of abandonment. Fear of food disappearing. Good one. Thanks.
chris recently posted..What you sensed was anger…rebuilding my chicken coup.My Profile

Dagny Kight August 4, 2013 at 1:55 am

Did you ever read my book? I address dealing with cravings extensively, speaking as a person who’s got that kind of brain that LOVES to think about food and connect it to anything that’s going on in my life! The usual “diet tips” aimed at people who want to lose a few pounds don’t apply to us.
Dagny Kight recently posted..When Weight Loss Motivation & Inspiration—Aren’tMy Profile