Weekend Happenings

June 15, 2013 in Uncategorized

How are you all doing today?

I wanted to share some things going on with me lately

First off….I went back to Crossfit !

Many of you know that I started Crossfit awhile back

And the people there became a huge part of my life

I didn’t feel worthy to even walk inside of a Crossfit Box

But Diana (my Crossfit Coach) told me I’m worthy

She taught me to scale and modify as needed

And the people I met there gave me some much needed encouragement

So why did I quit?

I told myself it was the distance….the traffic…..etc etc etc

But the reality is this—we make time for what’s important

If we want something in our life…we will find a way

I go through phases in my exercise routines

Sometimes I get tired of one thing and switch to another

I went back to Planet Fitness and just doing my own thing

I’m still losing weight BUT I noticed something

I was losing muscle strength

Suddenly the dog food bag was not as easy to pick up

As it was when I was doing Crossfit

And my motivation started suffering too

Because part of Crossfit is encouragement to keep going

And I think I need that

So I went back to Crossfit this week

Here I am with Diana who welcome me back with open arms!

photo-507

This was our workout on my first day back

photo-44

Basically Ben (Diana’s husband and also Coach) had a deck of cards

Each one was assigned an activity

For example, if he drew the 8 of spades

That was 8 Air Squats

And we did this for the ENTIRE deck of cards!!!

It was a tough workout

I couldn’t do all of it

I had to scale and modify doing what I could do

But that’s ok!!

The point is I survived my first day back at Crossfit

And I’m so happy to be back!!

I am going to be there about 2 or 3 days a week

The rest of the time I will still head to Planet Fitness

Mostly for cardio and to workout with my daughter, Savannah

Who just started college and can’t make it to the Crossfit class

Here are Savannah and I today working out together

photo-513

photo-514

I got together with my friend Krystal the other day

From the Sugar Iz Crack Blog

I am so proud of her!!

She has lost 20 pounds so far following my sugar detox plan!

And she was able to wear her purse across her body now!!

photo-510

We stopped off to have lunch

And I got the salmon

photo-511

It came with an avocado/cucumber salsa which was really yummy

I did not eat the rice (carbs!)

Whenever I go anywhere, I analyze the menu carefully

And ask lots of questions

If the server is unable to tell me with confidence

That something doesn’t have sugar in it

Then I just don’t eat it

I am super careful with sauces and dressings

And at times I even bring my own

It was fun to go with Krystal

Because we could play “detective” together

Analyzing the menu and making choices together

After lunch, we found this bracelet for her!

It fits in perfectly with her adventure into changing her mindset

It says “Change your thoughts and change your world”

Here she is wearing it

photo-512

I wanted to share two other things I eat whenever I’m out and about

I like Wendy’s for fast food options

I regularly eat the junior bacon cheeseburger there minus the ketchup and minus the bun

On this day they didn’t give me a fork so I was roughing it!

photo-508

I also like their BLT Cobb Salad with Avocado Ranch dressing.

This has real bleu cheese crumbles in it and eggs

It is probably the best fast food salad I’ve come across and it has almost no sugar!

photo-509

I’ll admit I’ve recently gotten really into avocados

I didn’t realize these are very good choices for someone following a low carb/low sugar food plan

We mix it with pico de gallo from the grocery store to make guacamole

I eat it with everything from chicken to steak and add it to my salad

I probably eat this several times a week

photo-515

I’ve been branching out a lot lately and making friends

Now that I can go places and do things

I feel as if I’ve been reborn into the world!

It’s really amazing being invited to go places and knowing I can say YES

Because I can fit and I have the energy

I feel as if I’m really reaping the benefits lately of this weight loss

Because socially it’s allowing me to get out there and live life again

It has taken 2 years to get here

But trust me…it’s worth it!!

Here I am on my way out the door to meet friends for the evening

One with my daughter, Savannah 🙂

photo-518 photo-519

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Kelly June 15, 2013 at 2:25 am

Thanks for sharing, I’m going to have to give that crossfit a try…

Rebecca June 15, 2013 at 2:43 am

Thanks for posting pics of your food. I have been reading yours and Krystal’s posts over the past several days, and I have decided to start my sugar detox tomorrow morning. I bought shakes today, and I started the process of cleaning out my kitchen. I feel both scared and excited, but thanks for giving me hope! I have about 125 pounds to lose 🙂

Karen P June 15, 2013 at 2:55 am

Holly, so glad you went back to crossfit. Sounds like a home for many reasons.

I love avocados, too. So much nutrition and so good for you. Glad you are eating very few processed foods. I suspect that eating clean (paleo/primal) has saved my life.

Enjoy your new life. You are so worth it. We all are. Fun to watch your progress.
Karen P recently posted..Unplanned events – when things get bumpy and structure goes out the windowMy Profile

Heather C. June 15, 2013 at 3:24 am

I knew you would go back to Crossfit~ I could just “feel” it was time for you! YEAH :O) Oh, and those cute strappy sandals would be perfect for your “off the rack” outfit too. Isn’t it nice to have choices. That’s what your weight loss has brought to you.

Losing The Rolls June 15, 2013 at 5:16 am

Way to go Holly. I’ll bet you have your muscle strength back in no time.

Savannah is beautiful just like her mother. How cool that you guys work out together. It’s so great that you are out having more fun these days. Enjoy.
Losing The Rolls recently posted..Baby Steps or All InMy Profile

Jackie W June 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Holly, I started my sugar detox this past Monday and dropped 11.5 lbs my first week! I am drinking the shakes and eating a low carb meal in the evenings. The first couple of days were the hardest BUT each day got easier and the weight loss was so motivating! I LOVE the fact that I don’t have to worry about rushing to eat breakfast and packing a lunch every day. I just grab a shake and go!

Also, I noticed that my cravings for carbs and sweets have nearly diminished after the second day! My energy level is through the roof! If any of your readers are thinking about trying this, I highly recommend it. I even lucked out and found $1.00 coupons for the shakes on Ebay, Woo!

Thank you so much, as I can see me finally kicking this weight to the curb!

SF June 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I was up at 3 am last night surfing the internet. When I rolled out of bed this morning the first thing I did was log in to read more about you and your plan. I am intreged by your detox program. I hit 300 lbs last week. First it was I can’t believe I weigh 150 lbs–then the stress of college..I can’t believe I weigh 200 lbs–then 5 children later 250 lbs–then a job a dislike and a lot of sitting around…I can’t believe I weigh 300 lbs…brought me to google how to lose weight at 300 lbs. In reading your site things clicked–I am proud I never drink alcohol, I don’t smoke, use any type of drug…but I do and it is sugar. I am ordering Atkins shakes today! How many do you drink in a day? Every two hours–awake 6 to 10 so 16 hours about 5? I am excited and scared to try this…. what I would give to weigh 200 again

Shay June 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I love everything about this post. I agree with the CrossFit thing, and I think it goes along with many (or all) types of workouts: You can literally feel yourself getting stronger each week (or each workout) as you do them. It’s amazing to me how one week I think, say, an Insanity DVD is so tough, and the next week, I’ll do the same workout and think, Hey, that wasn’t so bad! Our bodies change and adapt so quicly if we just stick with it!
I also loved the food showcasing that you did. It isn’t so bad to find healthy, delicious options, and you did a great job showing people that.
Have a great weekend–I can tell it’s already off to a wonderful start!
Shay recently posted..Towel: A Totally (Not) Inspirational Father’s Day Story about Idiot KidsMy Profile

linda kuil June 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm

OOOH! Where’d you go?

Cindy June 15, 2013 at 8:49 pm

So proud you’re back at CrossFit!!
Cindy recently posted..First VoxBox – Palmolive Soft Touch!My Profile

Kelly @CurvyFitGirl June 16, 2013 at 3:50 am

I’m so proud of you for going back, Holly! 🙂

Beth June 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I feel the same way about CrossFit. I have missed Monday and Tuesday this week, but I HAVE to make myself go on Thursday and not just put it off to next week. Thanks for the push! 🙂
Beth recently posted..Weekly weigh inMy Profile

sunnydayz June 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I’m so happy for you getting out there and making new friends and living life. You and your daughter are beautiful.
sunnydayz recently posted..My Pantry is Bare!My Profile