Thursday Musings and some Pictures

June 6, 2013 in Uncategorized

I hope everyone is doing well !! I always appreciate all your comments and feedback you give me.  My blog is often like free therapy.  In case anyone was wondering…I go to the kind you pay for too!  But this blog has helped me significantly.  I appreciate every single comment and it makes me think.  I do feel very guilty in many ways lately for having focused on myself and my own needs.  For years all I did was focus on other people.  Now that I’m able to get out and do things, it seems I want to make up for lost time.  I missed all of my 30’s being super obese.  And now I’m turning 41 this month.  I guess a part of me wants to finally make up for the years I spent in the recliner.  Yet I’m not a 21 year old.  I’m a 41 year old with 4 children. And I have to remember my goal was not to lose weight to look better or get attention from men.  It was so I could breathe.  Walk.  Play with my kids.  I never expected there to be such a drastic change in how people would treat me.  Losing 240 pounds changes your world in every way.  It’s overwhelming at times.  People treat you differently when you’re “normal” sized and that’s sad but it’s true.  When you live your life as a super obese person for years, you get used to being in many ways laughed at, mocked, ridiculed, ignored and hated from many people who find you offensive.  THen suddenly those very same people want to open the door, refill your coffee cup, and fawn all over you.  It’s a strange experience.  I saw a movie once where a woman wore a “fat suit” to see how she would be treated.  Then she took it off and showed everyone what she really looked like.  She was shocked at how differently people treated her once she had “unzipped” herself from that body.

Have you ever seen that movie Freaky Friday? Or any movies where people switch bodies and lives? That’s how I feel.  I feel like I switched bodies with someone else and now I’m walking around in their body experiencing what it’s like to be treated well by society simply because of your size.  It makes me sad to know how superficial our society can be.  On the other hand, I know I am a much more outgoing person who is easier to approach and talk to now.   I believe my personality has become more open because I have more confidence (although not a lot).  I struggle with my confidence levels but I”m trying to get there.

Thanks again for your feedback, comments and love.  It means the world!!

Here are some pics from this week:

It was my friend Krystal’s birthday this week.  We went shopping and ate at Kona Grill.

We both made great food choices which we modified as needed.  We substituted vegetables for french fries

photo-471

I got tacos that arrived like this

photo-472

I unwrapped them because I don’t eat the tortillas due to white flour and sugar.  Everything inside the taco was safe.

The sauce on the side was sketchy as it could have contained sugar so I requested tabasco sauce instead.

photo-473

My friend Krystal has already lost 17 pounds doing my sugar detox plan.  I am sooooo proud of her!

Here we are earlier last week loading up on our shakes together!!

photo-474

photo-475

IMG_2683

Krystal and I were shopping for her birthday and we found these cute turtle necklaces!!!

You know how I love the turtle/tortoise because it represents to me the “slow and steady” philosophy

Anytime I find anything with a turtle or tortoise on it, I buy it!!

Slow and steady wins the race!!!!

IMG_2760 IMG_2762

Krystal wore a Fitbit to the shopping mall and logged how far we had walked.  We were over a mile at this point!!!

IMG_2766

IMG_2764

Please stop by Krystal’s blog over at Sugar Iz Crack.  She did not have weight loss surgery but my sugar detox plan is working for her!!

Here is a picture of me from yesterday compared to me 23 months ago.

IMG_2807

IMG_2809

BeforehollySIDE.jpg

Here is a song that I hear on the radio lately that I really like it a lot

My favorite line is “Drink deep in the morning”

I feel that way about my life.  When things get overwhelming, I need to get up very early to meet with God.

I also do better when I work out first thing in the morning.  So in otherwise…..

Drink Deep in the Morning!!!!

Lady Amanda June 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Love the new outfit! very cute!

Samantha @ 24to30 June 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm

As someone who has been sizes 10-24, I’m going to agree and say it’s absolutely true that people treat you differently when you are obese. It’s one of those uncomfortable truths that people don’t like to own up to, but it’s fact. I don’t think you are wrong to enjoy the attention you are getting now – I think it’s normal! Just please, don’t settle. Enjoy yourself!
Samantha @ 24to30 recently posted..NSV: At The PoolMy Profile

annamarie June 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

You look fantastic Holly. Your outfit is so cute.
I totally agree with you of how people treat others, just by how they look. Sad, Sad world I feel at times.
I am so happy for your friend, she is doing wonderful with a lot of your help.
Also thank you for sharing your experiences with so many, just knowing that one is not alone with this battle, means a lot.
Hugs,
annamarie recently posted..Just trying to continue on……..My Profile

Katie @ thecarbmonster June 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

You look fantabulous!!! What a fun day 🙂 I’ve never tried the Atkin’s shakes. I’m currently doing another called wonderslim and they taste great but have a bit too many carbs at 7 per shake.

Tess June 6, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Yay!! It’s inspirational to see a restaurant meal that’s GOOD for you! And I like how you made the meal “do-able” for your plan. Way to go!! And congrats to your friend, too, that’s so great!

Lori June 6, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I have had similar experiences being treated in a different manner when my weight was up. That is why now, when I see an obese person, I go out of my way to be kind to them. Perhaps, that is just as bad since I’m still treating them in a different way, but it is a good way. I know their pain and I want to offer some kindness to them.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Happy TimesMy Profile

16blessingsmom June 7, 2013 at 12:50 am

I have been treated much differently also, after having lost a large amount of weight. It is sad. I am the same me! I love how you said the other day that you felt you had betrayed the old you, and you wished she could have been called a princess and been given flowers. It is a complex thing to get used to being a certain way then change so drastically. I also find myself feeling sorry for my old self, and also feeling sorry for my kids because they loved the old me so loyally. Anyway, I do think you are amazing and are so inspiring. Slow and steady….now, there is a good expression!!!

Della

Michelle W. June 7, 2013 at 1:03 am

I love the turtle/tortoise necklaces. I hope you don’t mind, but I think I’d like to steal that idea—hopefully I’ll be able to find a cute necklace somewhere near me. 🙂
I’m also loving all you’re new outfits—so cute.
I thought you’d like to know that my 10 year old daughter was reading over my shoulder tonight and saw your “total pounds lost” amount and said, “Wow, she’s really lost a lot more than when you started reading this blog Mom. I think you should do what she’s doing!” 😀
Keep it up~you’re doing great!

Sunny June 7, 2013 at 3:53 am

I can also relate to being treated differently when I was heavier. I’m still a good 50 pounds overweight, but the difference in how I’m treated from a tight size 22 to a size 14 is shocking.

Even co-workers who were “nice” to me before treat me differently. They ask my opinion more, they include me more….It hurts.

I’m the same, my shell is different, but I’m the same.

Rhonda June 7, 2013 at 4:36 am

I remember something about that movie with the fat suit. Was is Cameron Diaz? I haven’t seen it but would like to. It is sad that society does react differently to people based on external looks. I even find myself doing that at times and am ashamed of that! I love the turtle necklace. Very cute and meaningful.

Kristen June 7, 2013 at 5:53 pm

You are such an inspiration:) Just a quick question….i want to try your plan and am going to buy shakes this weekend….if you have a salad for dinner on this detox ….do you use dressing? If so what kind? thanks!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Yes I use different dressings but I just check the label to ensure they have no sugar or as close to no sugar as possible. I use Marie Callendar Bleu Cheese or Jalapeno Ranch. Interestingly, the LITE Bleu Cheese has more sugar in it and carbs than the regular one. I also buy Greek Salad dressing. I never eat anything with more than 4 grams of sugar per serving but for salad dressing I try to keep it at zero sugar and zero carbs or less than one.

Steelers6 June 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Looks like a fun girls day.

Cute outfit, & cute model. You are really close to the maintenance part now, aren’t you. Wow, you look great.

Chrissy

Shay June 8, 2013 at 2:41 am

I LOVE seeing your pictures and reading your updates. It’s so interesting to read how differently you are treated now than you were before. Have you heard of the book “Life in the Fat Lane”? It is a young adult novel, but your post so reminded me of this. It is about a girl who was Homecoming Queen, thin, popular, etc., etc., and then comes down with some kind of condition that makes her steadily gain weight. Even though it’s a novel and not a true story, it’s a GREAT statement about how differently people are treated just because they are skinny or obese. And because it’s set in the time of peoples’ lives when this kind of thing is even MORE prevalent (high school, going in to college), I think it makes an even more drastic statement. You should check it out. Let me know what you think of it!

Also–turtle necklace is SO cute, and I love to work out in the morning, too. Makes me feel good all day!
Shay recently posted..Mom TextsMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 8, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I’m checking that book out!!!

Cathy Jones June 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Dear Holly, You are looking great girlfriend! And you look so healthy too. The shakes from Atkins must have lots of good nutrition because your skin just glows! Many will look dark under their eyes and unhealthy but you look beautiful! I have enjoyed your writings and watching your transformation! I wish your girlfriend the best of health, and know that she will reach her goal with God’s help and the friendship she has found in you! As always, God bless you!