My Food last week

June 17, 2013 in Uncategorized

Since I shared the details of how I eat

I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback

I guess I’ve neglected to really tell people

The details of my food

Mostly because I don’t want to throw people off track

Or tell them how to eat

I’m a firm believer that you must do what works for YOU

All my life people have been telling me HOW to “diet”

It was when I gave myself permission to listen to my body

And figure out what works

That I found freedom

For me personally, going off sugar was CRITICAL

As I’ve mentioned, I drink Atkins shakes during the day

And I eat a low carb/low sugar meal in the evening

Now I’m not as strict about that as I once was

I do still on occasion eat meals during the day

But even when I do, I stick to the low carb/no sugar

And I’m fiercely strict about it

Once you’ve become pure from sugar

You will feel it when it creeps back in

Even the smallest amount

Now I don’t eat ZERO sugar although I’d prefer to

But I aim for zero

And cut myself off at nothing with more than 4 grams of sugar per serving

I can tell when too much sugar is in my system

Because I’m HUNGRY

And when I”m not on sugar

I’m rarely hungry

So that’s how I know right away

I’ll start sharing more of my meals

Because while I don’t eat a huge variety of things

I do eat more than just chicken!

So just in case it helps someone

Here are some things I ate last week

A boatload of Atkins Shakes

photo-47

I went out to eat

And I ordered shrimp tacos

photo-521

I didn’t touch the sauce (Sugar is hiding there I’m sure)

And I unwrapped the tacos and just ate the middle

photo-522

Here I am at…GASP!….McDonalds!!!

Yes I still take my kids to McDonalds ON OCCASION

And it’s not often

But I do occasionally still go and let them play in the Playland and eat a Happy Meal

I always get a grilled chicken salad

And here I am FITTING ON THIS BENCH

The dreaded benches that are always connected to the tables

How I loathed those things because I couldn’t scoot out the bench

I always had to get a chair and bring it in

Not anymore!

photo-523

This is my breakfast for dinner meal

I microwaved some eggs and ate it with fresh avocado slices and pico del gallo

photo-524

Now on this particular day the kids wanted chinese food

I bought them some take out with rice and egg rolls

I don’t eat any of that

But I make my own version of chinese food with just chicken and vegetables

I will use Soy Sauce

I personally don’t eat the carrots or onions because of their sugar content

Yes I know it’s a “natural” sugar but even that throws me off

photo-525

Now this is what I eat the majority of the time at night

Steak, chicken, etc

I season it myself….I can’t trust what might be on it otherwise!!!

This is what we cooked up for the week

(Just in case you thought this was my portion) lol

photo-526

Here we are making our version of guacamole

It’s just an avocado sliced up

photo-528

Mixed with store bought Pica Dillo

photo-529

My kids can make this pretty easily

Here is Charlotte mixing it up

photo-530

It’s good on just about everything.

Sometimes I put it in salad and just don’t even bother with dressing!

We also eat a lot of hamburgers around here

MINUS the bun

Here is Annabelle making one with some garlic in it 🙂

She loves to cook!

photo-531

Last but not least

Here are some pictures of me and the kids this past week

With my daughter, Savannah

photo-518

photo-519

With my daughter, Charlotte

photo-520

And one more of Charlotte

photo-48

photo-532

I’d love to tell you I’ve lost weight in the past week or so but I haven’t

And I could care less!!

After 2 years of this, I know my body

It holds onto weight for awhile

Then it drops

It’s a pattern

And all I have to do is trust the process

Once I realized that the weight WOULD come off

If I just kept doing what I was doing

Then I stopped freaking out about stalls

They happen

And it’s our job to accept it

At least for me that is where I have found a lot of peace

Next week, you will probably see it drop 5

That’s just the way it goes

But little by little we get there!

Be the Tortoise!

Slow and steady wins the race!

LOVE YOU ALL!

Dawnya June 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I agree. Stalls are hard to deal with…but once you learn your body it is easier. Thanks for sharing your food choices. It is helpful to so many people.

I love seeing you living life to the fullest. It warms my heart.

Be blessed.

annamarie June 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Absolutely fantastic. You look wonderful and most of all so happy. Honestly you and your oldest can go for sisters instead mother and daughter.

Many hugs
annamarie recently posted..Just trying to continue on……..My Profile

janet June 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

So thankful a friend linked me to you. Thanks for your posts. It really does help people like myself. Just now I was reading about the stalls during your weightloss.I too have been going through them and it makes me depressed and disappointed. But after reading your post I feel better. I know realize I wasn’t doing anything wrong, but that my body was just adjusting. I look forward to reading future posts and thanks again.

Losing The Rolls June 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Tortoise or otherwise, I want to lose weight. If it is slow, that’s okay as long as I start moving in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing, always interested in finding what works for others. I will pick and choose and eventually find what works for me.

Great photos! Hope you have an awesome week.
Losing The Rolls recently posted..Weigh-in: June 16, 2013My Profile

Samantha @ 24to30 June 17, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I love seeing your food choices because I’m basically doing the same low carb/sugar way of eating. A couple of nosey questions – do you find the cost of the shakes to be equal to what you would spend on food otherwise? I’ve been buying the shakes – Saturday I bought an 8-pack and it was around $11 which seems expensive but then I figured that’s less than $1.50 for a “meal.” At home, does your family all eat pretty much the same thing for dinner – like the steaks and chicken above – or do you eat that and make them something else usually? Just curious. My biggest struggle with the low carb way of eating is having to make two meals – one for me, one for the family. I have to be careful what I make for them that it isn’t something I can’t resist, but on the other hand, the hungry boys at my house aren’t happy eating chicken and salads every night. You look great – I know I’ve said this before, but I’m serious – you and your oldest daughter look like sisters!
Samantha @ 24to30 recently posted..Running As Stress ReliefMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Yes I agree shakes can be pricey but they are like my lifeline so I have to do it. Also sometimes I get good deals at Walmart when they sell a 6 pack for the price of a 4 pack. Or I order them from Vitamin Shoppe.com where you gain points. Honestly most of the time I just pick them up at the grocery store and while I hate the price it is worth it to me in the end. I do spend a lot less money on food now that I’m not eating the Big Mac Meal 3 times a day! I am going to post two more things this week regarding food that will probably answer your questions. My kids and I eat the same dinner so I don’t make two meals. We make the steak and chicken etc, and we eat that. The only difference would be I allow my kids to have some sauces that I would never eat (Ketchup etc) but other than that we eat the same thing. The differences of what we eat are more in the breakfast/lunch area. I will post on that too!

Pam June 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I used to get frustrated by the stalls in my weight loss. But now I know this is not a race. My new lifestyle is truly for life and no matter how long it takes for the weight to come off, it’s won’t change the way I eat or move much anyway.

I wish, in the picture from McDonald’s, you had taken your bag off your shoulder so we could see how your derierre has shrunk, cause I think I can tell in other pictures you post how much smaller you have gotten back there. I know you used to complain about that particular body part and I don’t hear you saying much about it anymore.

From the time I hit puberty I hated my butt. It was so HUGE. I am definitely a pear-shape and from what I hear now about body shape, that is better health-wise than the apple-shape. But still I wanted a smaller rear end. With this last weight loss (I never really noticed it in past weight-loss attempts), my rear has definitely shrunk. In fact, I can wear a smaller size in slacks and jeans and shorts, than I can wear in blouses. Go Figure? Maybe it has something to do with menopause? I don’t know….but I am liking finally having a smaller butt after almost 50 years of big-buttitis.
Pam recently posted..Father’s Day Celebration PhotosMy Profile

Linda Kuil June 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Everything looks delicious!

Marc June 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Avocados are great for assisting in weight loss. They are high in fiber, nutrients, and healthy fats:)
Marc recently posted..Paleo Father’s Day was AwesomeMy Profile

Lori June 17, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I totally agree about everyone needing to find what works for them. I rarely post my meals either, for the very same reason. What works for me may or may not work for someone else. This is a hard enough journey, I don’t want to add to someone’s burden, by giving them mine.
Lori
Lori recently posted..Finally!!My Profile

Joanna June 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Holly, I just love your blog! I tried going sugar free with the shakes but they just didn’t kill the cravings for some reason. My plan is to use them when I do crave sugar. Thanks for sharing your food choices. Despite vigorous exercise and training for a half marathon I have yet to lose weight. I plan on trying some of your meal ideas!

Joanna

Trish @I_am_Succeeding June 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Awesome awesome awesome!!! Imagine that we CAN still go out with our kids after WLS!! =P
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..Menu Plan for 6/17/2013My Profile

Sandra June 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Great post as always. Thanks for sharing last week about the carbs.

And most importantly, I love the big, chunky jewelry! 🙂

Linda June 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Thanks for sharing Holly! I am with you, that everyone has to do what works for them. I also don’t worry about the scale now – it will go down and then it won’t. You are doing fantastic! 🙂
Linda recently posted..This Is Forever + Happy Father’s Day!My Profile

Shay June 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm

And you had PLENTY of room left to spare in that bench, too! Thanks for the food descriptions. I always love new, healthy food ideas.
Shay recently posted..Towel: A Totally (Not) Inspirational Father’s Day Story about Idiot KidsMy Profile

Rebecca June 18, 2013 at 12:32 am

Thank you so much for your posts. They’re really helping me 🙂

Cindy June 18, 2013 at 3:06 am

Holly – I was wondering if you have ever tried the Atkins protein bars? The shakes and I do not get along – I throw up! I’d like to try the protein bars but am a little leery due to my response to the shakes.

Lori June 18, 2013 at 3:09 am

You sure have some pretty girls, Holly. I was wondering, how is Annabelle? I remember you wrote about a health scare with her. I’ve prayed for her, and I hope she’s all right. She looks very happy and healthy. If it’s too personal, that’s ok. Wishing her, and you all, the best~~Lori

Staci June 18, 2013 at 4:36 am

Charlotte looks so grown up in that tween dress! 🙂 You all look amazing. I’m glad that you are sharing more personal aspects of your eating with us. Thanks!
Staci recently posted..Alive but Not WellMy Profile

sunnydayz June 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I love getting food ideas from other people. Your daughters are beautiful. You are a great example to them. What a great non-scale victory that you’re able to fit in/on the bench at mcDonald’s! 😀
sunnydayz recently posted..My Pantry is Bare!My Profile

Beth June 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I truly love your dedication.
Beth recently posted..Well, I’m not hungry…My Profile

Basma June 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm

You avoid sugars at all cost. Does it mean including sweetners like Stevia and also the sugars from fruits?