Me VS The Tub: Guess who won?

June 13, 2013 in Uncategorized

So remember that time

I got stuck in the tub?

Yeah…pretty traumatizing

I had been iffy on the tub ever since

You see I stopped being able to take a bath

YEARS AGO

For one thing, I could no longer fit

You might get in but then the water pools up in front

As there is not enough space for it to fill up the tub

Because YOU fill up the tub

On your own

So there is no room for the water

You can pop yourself up and try and let the water pass through

But in the end it’s a losing battle

That’s really the least of the problems though

Because getting OUT of the tub again is where the real fun comes in

And I know I’m not alone

Since I wrote my tub horror story over a year ago

I’ve had dozens of emails from others who got stuck in the tub

Some were far more horrifying than mine

And I feel just really so bad for the people who were unable to get out  on their own

I was spared the humiliation of the fire department coming

But not everyone has been

It takes STRENGTH to get out of a tub

You don’t really realize it until you feel like a tub of jello

With no muscles

This is where lifting weights and strength training

Becomes REAL LIFE applicable

Today I redeemed myself in the tub

I got in with no issues

Just stepped right in and sat down

The water flowed around me with no problems at all

I laid back and I even turned the water off

With my TOE!!!!

You know how you can reach down with your leg and turn it off that way??

That is if you have the calf muscle strength to lift your leg up

To lift the weight of your own leg!

And now I do!!!

I relaxed without fear

Knowing this time I would be able to get out

There is no relaxing bath time when you dread the possibility

Of not being able to get out again

But today I just enjoyed my bath

I even put my head under water and washed my hair

I had room to swish about!

I felt like a kid again!!!

When I drained the tub

I bent my knees toward me

And I stood up!!!

JUST LIKE THAT

Because now I can

I have arm strength

Leg strength

And I can take a bath

ANY TIME I DARN WELL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bath tub…..you have not defeated me this time!!

Now you are MINE

I am the boss

I decide when I get in and when I get out

You are not my master

You won’t mock me from the hallway

Calling to me

Holly…wouldn’t you loooove to take a bath??

Oh that’s right….you CAN’T!

Nope not anymore Mr. Tub

This time

I WIN

I didn’t have to hurl myself out of the tub

I just stepped out with dignity

YEP!

I fought the tub once and the tub won

But I came back to redeem myself

And this time

I won the championship!!!!!

Shannon June 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm

These bathtub stories make me think of something that happened to my grandmother. She lived in a mobile home and it wasn’t build that solid and it was also old. Well, she always took baths. Never showers. And she was a “larger” woman. Her method of getting in the tub consisted of sitting down as far as she could and then just “letting go” and falling in the rest of the way. LOL. You could hear a big “thud” and you knew she just got into the tub. So… one day, she goes to take a bath and gets into the tub this way as she usually did, and the TUB FELL THROUGH THE SUBFLOOR. I kid you not! OMG. Haha. She was ok so it’s ok to laugh about it. 🙂 I just had to tell you this story since you’ve been talking about the bathtub!

Courtney June 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Oh my gosh! This gave me a good chuckle, but it also goes hand in hand with one of my fears. Our current house that has had some structural issues in the past has an old cast iron tub, and as long as we’ve lived here I have feared adding my weight plus the weight of the water to fill it up by taking a bath. I just have visions of this exact same thing happening, except I’d fall into the basement!
Courtney recently posted..It’s Time!My Profile

Lady Amanda June 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This made me laugh out loud- Shannon thank you so much for posting it. It makes me think of all of the tv shows where they show a tub falling through a floor into the apartment below. I guess it really does happen! I actually tried to find a weight limit for our tub one time was never able to. We have the newer cheaper kind of tub/shower that comes as one piece and I have often wondered what the limit was for a person and water before it would crack/break. You would think that the company that makes it would be able to tell me but they had no clue either! Glad your grandma was unhurt. It definitely made for a good story!

Anna June 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm

doesn’t that feel amazing???? Freedom to take a bath WHENEVER YOU WANT TO….its a dream come true for you, Holly! You are so so so inspiring!

Lady Amanda June 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Awesome! This post made me smile. 🙂

sunnydayz June 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I agree that you are so inspiring, and how great that you keep your sense of humor about it, too. I’m so very happy for you. 🙂
sunnydayz recently posted..More RainMy Profile

Christine June 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Sounds like a great tub experience :). Were there bubbles and candles too?
Christine recently posted..Wednesday Weigh InMy Profile

Losing The Rolls June 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about…well the troubles with the tub anyhow. Hooray for you Holly, one of the many normal things you can do now. I hope you are keeping a list. This stuff is great.

I have one of those big corner sinking tubs, I am sure I could fit in there and fill with water. I don’t use it though because getting in and out would require me to risk my life, I am sure. I’m not sure what the builder was thinking. Like I said, the tub is built in the corner of our master bath, but there is a tiled ledge surrounding it. The ledge is 20.5 ” high and 11″ wide. How is a 5’3 girl supposed to step into that? For sure a 5’3″ 391 lb girl isn’t going to risk her life to try.

Again, I am so happy for you and all that you are able to do now. Gives me hope.
Losing The Rolls recently posted..If it’s in the houseMy Profile

Nancy June 14, 2013 at 2:14 am

Getting up easily from the tub is a goal I still hope I can accomplish. Congratulations to you that you can now get up so easily after a bath!!! I can take a bath now. I actually fit in the tub and have room to have water in the tub with me! But getting in and out is still really a struggle. After having partial knee replacement surgery on one of my knees, it really hurts to kneel on that knee. And I don’t have the strength in my knees, abdomen, and arms to just sit down in the tub and get back up again. I go down on my non-surgery knee, try to avoid putting any weight on my surgery knee, and then kind of roll over onto my butt. Getting back up is even more of a challenge, because I’m wet and in more danger of slipping. But I reverse the process, trying to roll over as best I can, then getting my one knee up, trying not to put weight on my other knee, and finally pulling myself up. I hope someday taking a bath won’t feel like a challenge at all. I think your example of strength training and using weights is one I need to do myself. I’m sure that’s helped you a lot! Thanks so much for sharing your emotional strength, wisdom, and humor in your posts!! You really help me to get and keep motivated!

Jack Sh*t June 14, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Dammit! I had ten bucks on the tub!

Seriously, there are lots of big reasons for losing weight and getting more fit, but thanks for the reminder that there are lots of little reasons that are life-changing as well.

Well done!
Jack Sh*t recently posted..More Healthy Father’s Day Gift IdeasMy Profile

Beth June 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I have been catching up on your transformation. Amazing!! I love that you have conquered the tub. I have some demons like that. Go you!
Beth recently posted..Weekly weigh inMy Profile

Sheila June 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I’ve been gaping at the pictures in your sidebar for the past 10 minutes. This transformation is truly amazing. you are blest.
Sheila recently posted..Bath Tub Lift ChairMy Profile