A trip to the Pool (Comparisons from last year)

June 11, 2013 in Uncategorized

Last year my best friend Amanda came out to see me

And I got in the pool for the first time in years

It was a big deal at that time for me to take pictures of myself

In a bathing suit!!

But I’ve learned something along the way

And it’s this

We all deserve to get in the pool..ya know??

I mean regardless of your size

Regardless of what you look like physically

The pool is just a nice place to be

So if you can get in the pool

Then get in it!!

I wish they all had steps or a graduated decline to walk in

That would make it easier than climbing ladders

But pools are wonderful places for those who struggle with obesity

They are much easier on your joints

I’ve gotten to where I worry less about what I look like

And put more stock in my right to be there regardless of what hangs where!!!!!

It’s interesting to look back at the progress I’ve made over the last year

Here are some pics of me from last year this time in the pool

To this weekend when I took my kids on vacation

Probably the biggest change is that last year my kids had to help me into the pool

They had to be careful with me and hold onto me worrying often that I would fall

But this year I was the one helping them in

Playing with them

And not once did the kids stop to think I would fall!

My son helping me in the pool last year

023

Me helping my son into the pool this year!

photo-496

Carrying my kids in the pool last year

035

And this year

photo-490

Last year

027

This Year

photo-491 photo-492

photo-493

In the hot tub last year with Amanda
048

In the hot tub this year with kiddos!

This picture really shows the nice arm fat I have going on!!

Yep—it’s time to get back to strength training my friends!

photo-488

photo-489

Annabelle snapped this pic because she thought it was cool that I can sit with my arms around my knees

I could never do that before due to the size of my stomach

photo-494

photo-495

This year I felt so much more steady in the water

It’s a great feeling to be STABLE and not always worry about falling

Here is a picture of me in my bathing suit

I bought this at Walmart on the fly

But I really need a much sturdier one that can hold up the girls a little better!!!

Last year this time I was wearing a size 24 bathing suit

Which (By the way) I was PSYCHED about b/c it was at the time a smaller size!

But this year I am in a size 14 bathing suit

So that means I’ve lost about 5 dress sizes this year

NOT BAD!

photo-487

If you want to blow it up and analyze it to see where things are hanging out

Then may the force be with you!!!!

Because I get a lot of questions about loose skin and things of that nature

The truth is this

YES I have that

The worst is on my thighs where if I’m standing

You can see what reminds me of elephant wrinkles

They kind of just hang there

Perhaps with more toning and strength training

That will improve

Maybe not

I also have a lot of extra skin/fat still on my arms

You can see it in several pictures

But here is the important thing

Don’t let it bother you too much!!!!!

I don’t!!!

I am living my life loose skin and all!!

My boobs still have a mind of their own

They still won’t stay up without enormous effort!!!

But life was meant to be lived

Loose skin and all if that’s what it takes!

We have to get out there and enjoy our life

Regardless of our imperfect bodies

So this is me

And next summer it will be improved

Just as it was this summer

In the end, life is about living it with those we love

Being there for the splashes of life

So get in there and enjoy yourself

I’m right there with you!

Kristin Underwood June 11, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Aww, I love the medal… 30 seconds at a time. No kidding. I will remember that and use it to my advantage.
Great job!!!!!

josie June 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm

You are amazing!
Today is day two of eating one low carb meal and substituting the rest of the day with Atkins shakes. I must say I feel great this morning! I know day one was probably the easiest but I am determined to do this. I have 30/40 pounds that I am letting hold me back from so many things. YOU, my new friend, are helping me to change that mind set!!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Josie this is awesome!!! You can do it! I’m right there with you!

Liese June 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Same here, Josie! Today is day two. So far so good. I know it will get hard but I’m so excited to not be a prisoner of sugar. Good luck to you and I’m here to support you.

Vertical Mom June 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm

You look AMAZING! And what a cute suit! Keep going, Holly!!!
Vertical Mom recently posted..ProgressMy Profile

Pam June 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Beautiful Holly! Such a comparison, although you were already looking pretty good LAST year. But this year–WOW. I love your new suit. I need something like that, because like you, my upper thighs look like Elephant skin, and it’s so embarrassing. I tell myself, “Pam, You lost the weight, you’ve earned the right to go out in public in a swimming suit.” But it’s still so hard! I like the length of your new swim skirt, and may have to go out to WalMart and check their suits out. Anele over at Success Along The Weigh, says she wears biking-type shorts with her swimsuit top, I could try that too, those tight shorts kind of hold in all that extra skin.
Do you think we will ever get to the point when we are proud of what we look like in a swimming suit? I wonder if anybody, other than super models, is actually proud of how they look in a swimming suit??
Pam recently posted..Restaurants!My Profile

Kati June 11, 2013 at 1:00 pm

As always, I love reading your posts about the experiences that have changed with your kids. Congratulations–you look awesome (and I think the walmart suit is CUTE!).

Thanks for sharing–love your “splash of life” insight!
Kati recently posted..That really HURTS!My Profile

Steelers6 June 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Boy did I get a laugh out of “May the force
be with you!” What a cutie suit!! And so
exciting that it is a much smaller size! Wow.

I will tell you, your loose skin is really not
very obvious in photos!? Amazing really,
since you lost so many clothing sizes, &
over 200 lbs.
Enjoy summer with your kiddos.
Chrissy

Valerie June 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Holly, you look AMAZING! And look how proud your kids are of you. That must make everything worth it. πŸ™‚

Lori June 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm

You look fabulous in that suit!!
Lori
Lori recently posted..The First CasualtyMy Profile

Crystal @ Serving Joyfully June 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm

So cool, Holly!

And, I totally GET the picture with your hands wrapped around your knees like that. I used to sit like that all the time. I took it for granted. But now since I’ve gained weight, it’s impossible. Because, my stomach is too big for me to sit like that πŸ™
Crystal @ Serving Joyfully recently posted..Giveaway: Space Warriors Blu-Ray Combo Pack!My Profile

Erin June 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm

As far as a swim suit with support – try one from lane bryant. they sell them by bra size, and most of them are extremely chest-supporting – that said you’re almost too skinny for their store – congratulations!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding June 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Holly I just LOVE watching you morph! Becoming such a beautiful butterfly and flying!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..Trish’s Pick of the Week for 6/11/2013 Rimmel Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara β€œ#EndlessLashes Eye Candy”My Profile

Losing The Rolls June 11, 2013 at 3:17 pm

You look great Holly and love the suit. It looks like you all had a lot of fun pool time.
Losing The Rolls recently posted..Silence = weight gainMy Profile

Rhonda June 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Hi Holly, Love your swimsuit.. really cute. I am so impressed with the wonderful relationship you have with your children. My mom had 3 kids by the time she was 19 so we were cared for.. but she wasn’t engaged with us in the way you are with your kids. You are really building some special memories. I live in Oregon but my DH and I have a vacation home in Green Valley AZ. I’m really hoping that sometime we will be able to visit San Antonio and top on my list is to meet you in person. I really want to give you a hug and let you know that you have enriched my life. Big West Coast hug to you! Rhonda

angie June 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm

where did you get your cute suit? i have been looking for a long one like that. you look adorable!

Mary Ellen Quigley June 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm

You look amazing in your suit. It’s very flattering, and I love the color. Don’t worry about loose skin. It isn’t noticeable in any of the pictures. Who cares anyway? You are having fun with your kids. That’s the important thing.
Mary Ellen Quigley recently posted..That Was Just Bad!My Profile

Saskia June 11, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Holly, You look cute in that bathing suite! I need to get one of those. I love to swim, but never go to a pool anymore. I can only go to a public pool and the weight and the thoughts of me walking in a bathingsuit to the pool are holding me back. You give me lots of great life lessons, and the sugar detox is working. So maybe this step I can take too.

Jackie W June 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I try and have that same attitude with wearing sleeveless shirts in the summer. Why should I be hot and suffer because of what others may think? Great post!

Julie June 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

The best swim suit I’ve ever owned I purchased online through Land’s End. Their brand “Beach Living” have separate tops/bottoms. The “Beach Living” tanks in plus sized have a thicker fabric, which helps hold in the belly, underwire bra with attached soft cups and adjustable straps. I really like the bottoms that look like nylon shorts that dry quickly. They help hide a little bit of my thighs and don’t ride up like traditional swim bottoms. They are spendy, however. I have paid full price for them, but I try and wait for the end of summer or winter time to purchase them on sale. What I like the best about them, is I can do water aerobics and don’t feel like I’m going to fall out of my suit when bouncing, etc in the water.
All of that said, your suit looks really good on you!! There’s no way I could have purchased a suit on the fly!

Paige June 11, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Wow! You look great! And I love your swimsuit-such a pretty color and I like the ruffles!

Cheri June 11, 2013 at 10:02 pm

FIrst – you look beautiful, and seeing you playing with your kids makes me really happy for you. πŸ™‚

Second – this is exactly what I needed to read today. This summer IS better than last summer for where I’m at. Next summer WILL be better than this summer. And I DO need to get over myself, and live life in the skin I’m in today – enjoy my kids, enjoy the pool, go to the gym, take part in LIFE. Thanks Holly.
Cheri recently posted..Bionic band girl minus hairy chest please?My Profile

LHA June 12, 2013 at 12:27 am

I just have to tell you how much I am enjoying reading your blog! You have created a site where people can feel positive about themselves and their journey toward fitness and health, and you have done it all with good humor and graciousness. Your story is inspiring, not just because of your great success, but because you are honest enough to let others know that your journey has had detours and missteps.

I love your bathing suit! I stopped being afraid of being seen in my suit when my kids were young. I just couldn’t miss out on those fun times with them, and I have never been sorry. I could recommend bathing suits from Reebok. They have what they call a “bounce proof” bustline. I am busty and need support and they are great for this. They are also pretty full coverage and don’t ride up. They are expensive, but if you look online you can find some deals from time to time. I have paid full price and felt it was still worth it because they last a couple of years even when I am swimming laps all year long.

Congratulations on your success and thanks for a great blog!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 12, 2013 at 3:24 am

Thank you so much!!!

Linda Kuil June 12, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I’ll take loose skin over 75 pounds of fat, high blood pressure, shortness of breath, cholesterol issues, aching joints and panic attacks any day of the week! That’s why the woman who created Spanx is a bazillionaire!

Valerie June 12, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Holly,

I love your blog. So many of the thoughts that you discuss are thoughts that I have had, too. My question for you today is what types of exercise are you doing on a regular basis and for what frequency and duration? I have a good 90-100 pounds to lose and I am really trying to increase my steps and journalize my food intake, so that I can see where I am overdoing it. But, I am truly curious on how much exercise you are doing to be able to lose the weight that you have.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 12, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I exercise daily taking off about 1 to 2 days a week max. I just went back to Crossfit this week but I also alternate with Planet Fitness. My advice is to do cardio 3 days a week and strength training 2 days a week if possible. It doesn’t have to be complicated. It can be as simple as walking and lifting some dumb bells a few times a week. There are great group fitness opportunities which can help because of the motivating friends. Yet at the end of the day doing whatever works for you is best. As long as we move, we are going in the right direction!!! I started out walking 30 seconds at a time and I highly recommend starting small and just working on consistency more than duration of time. Once we build the habit it becomes easier! Also I will tell you that my weight loss is 80% what I eat and only 20% exercise. I have had periods of time where I didn’t exercise at all and still lost weight. The truth is that what you put in your mouth matters more in weight loss (in my experience) than anything. Yet exercise is vitally important to our health, circulation, mood, flexibility etc

Charis June 13, 2013 at 5:22 am

Josie’s post reminded me…

Today is day three of 3 atkins shakes and then a normal meal at dinner time. i got this idea from your blog πŸ™‚ i was down a kilo (2.2lb) this morning after only 2 days.

One strange thing is i am having NO side effects. Maybe i wasnt addicted to sugar? yesterday for my daily total i had 1.1g of sugar!!!!!!!!! sounds impossible right.

Im glad i dont have headaches or low energy as i have to work as a police officer.

I am not very overweight. I weigh 170lb.

The shakes are very expensive here in Australia. Almost $4 each πŸ™ oh well, health has no price.

Nanette June 16, 2013 at 4:40 am

I am amazed at your progress this year. That leap from 24 to 14 is astounding. I am currently at the size of your before picture and it is an inspiration… the willpower you have shown is tremendous. I really look up to you and your success. Thank you so much for sharing.