Candy Free Easter and my 1st dress in years!

April 1, 2013 in Uncategorized

This was our first Candy Free Easter

And it was a total success!

I used to buy plastic eggs and fill them with candy

But out here in Texas, we have confetti eggs called Cascarones

And that is what I used this year instead

It was great because they’re really cheap and I could buy tons of premade cartons

And fill up the yard!

The kids had a blast hunting for the eggs

And smashing them!

They had so much fun smashing confetti eggs

That no one even missed the candy!

And now we have a new tradition!

photo-380 photo-381

photo-370  photo-372

photo-371

photo-382

Instead of candy, I filled their Easter baskets with other things

Here they are

photo-390

Savannah’s basket

photo-384

Annabelle’s basket

photo-386

Charlotte’s basket

photo-385

CJ’s basket

photo-383

Holidays can be difficult when they seem to be surrounded by food traditions

But I’ve discovered that I can change those if I want to

And as time goes on, the kids are getting on board more and more

I like the idea of letting food be something I choose

Not something forced upon me by traditions

If I want to make a dinner and fill the house up with chocolate candy–I can

It is after all MY decision

But I can also choose NOT to if I feel that works better for my life

Because Christmas and Easter and Valentine’s Day are not even about food

They are about other things

So we can determine what we focus on

And it’s ok for that to be food if it is our choice

And it’s ok for that not to be food….if we don’t want it to be

I like the idea of these choices belonging to me

And not feeling the need to bow to any pressure of what I “should” or “shouldn’t” do

I’m becoming more and more comfortable with keeping traditions that work for me

And getting rid of those that don’t

And I’m discovering that fear I held onto

That the kids would somehow feel “cheated” if we did things a different way

Has ended up being nothing more than empty fear

Because my kids said this was one of the best Easters we’ve had in a long time

I’ll let that speak for itself!!

Now onto some exciting news!!

I wore a DRESS on Easter for the first time in at least 10 years….maybe longer

I have worn nightgowns and “house” dresses around the house for years

But that was only due to the fact that I was not walking around very much in them

The problem with dresses and being over 400 pounds is the fire!!

The fire that it starts between your thighs when they rub together as you walk

Starting about a decade ago

I stopped wearing dresses altogether

Aside from the nightgowns and house dresses that I wore

I never wore a dress outside of the house in public

Dresses were something I wore while I was sitting or laying down

NOT WALKING

Dresses are not designed for people who have issues with their thighs rubbing together

So I never thought I would wear a dress again in public to be honest

Especially NOT a knee length dress that actually shows my legs!

But on Easter this year, I wore a DRESS!!

A size 16/XL dress at that!

And let me tell you…it was truly one of the most exciting days I’ve had in a long time.

Here is a picture of the kids and I on our way out the door heading to church

From left to right…

Annabelle, CJ, me, Charlotte, Savannah

photo-387

After church, I changed another tradiition

Instead of coming home and eating a traditional Easter dinner

Which would have included many of my favorite things that would throw me off track

Because they contain sugar

We went out to eat

I let someone else do the cooking!

That means no dishes to wash

And no tempting leftovers to follow me into next week

We went to the “Egg and I” restaurant for brunch

And I love this place

I can get omelets, frittatas, eggs….all perfect for my food plan

But the kids can get waffles or french toast or pancakes if they choose

So that’s what we did

They told us it would be a 30 minute wait at the restaurant

And you know what we did

We stood there and waited!!!

BECAUSE I CAN

Waiting and standing no longer gives me a problem now that I’ve lost weight!

photo-388

I didn’t get a picture of it

But the chair had arms

And it didn’t phase me one bit!!!

Fitting in chairs is a non-issue for me now!

So I was walking around in this dress

The first dress I’ve worn out in public in about 10 years

And I had this feeling come over me

It was this strange feeling that was familiar

But I wasn’t quite sure what it was.

Was it happiness?

I wasn’t sure

But then suddenly I was in the bathroom at the Egg and I Restaurant

And it dawned on me as I was looking in the mirror at myself what it was!!

Right then I knew instantly what I was feeling…..

CUTE!

I FELT CUTE in that dress!!

I suddenly said to myself out loud…

“Oh my gosh!! I feel cute!”   It came right out!!

And the woman standing next to me washing her hands looked over at me and said …

“Well good for you!! We all should feel cute every now and then!!”  hahahaha

I don’t know if I looked cute.

I don’t know if the dress was even all that flattering for my figure.

But I truly don’t care because I felt cute!!

I’m almost 41 and I felt cute

Tell me that isn’t some kind of miracle!

Because I didn’t plan to wear a dress this Easter

I had no intention to go looking for a dress because in my mind I still was not able to wear them

Then about 5 am, I made a Walmart run for some last minute items I needed for the kids Easter baskets

I saw this dress for about 10 bucks and thought…why not

I tossed it in knowing it would never fit.

Only it did!

I’ve had experiences with dresses in the past that MIGHT fit me

If only they could make it over my giant boobs!!!!

Usually they get stopped right there and will go no further

But not this time!

Easter is full of miracles and this was one!

I got  a dress to fit over my boobs.

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

And darn it I felt CUTE…

I felt cute in a dress for the first time in at least 10-15 years.

I never ever thought I’d feel that way again.

And when I got home, I kept on wearing it .

I wore it all day long until it was time to go to bed.

photo-376

Not only can I now wear a dress without setting my lady parts on fire….

I can cross one foot OVER the other while I am standing up

Like this…

photo-377

Try crossing your legs like that at 417 pounds

Not gonna happen!!!

And I can put my hands behind my back too!

photo-378

These are things that could NOT be done 225 pounds ago!!!

Fitting a dress over my boobs, crossing my legs and putting my hands behind my back

That’s 3 miracles for the price of one!

Even church was great!!

I go to a really large church

And if you don’t get there early, you might have to climb to the very top to get a seat

And you cannot do that if you can barely walk

Not a problem this year!

Here’s the view  (sorry it’s dark)

photo-389

Not only did I walk to the very top row

I sat in the MIDDLE of a row

And fit in one chair

The craziness just keeps coming!!!!

This church service was unlike any others

The message was probably 15 minutes max

The rest of it was music

A live performance of someone doing a painting

Dancers

We really enjoyed it

They taped it and  have it available online 24 hours a day through April 6th if anyone’s interested

Here’s the link for it—-CBC ONLINE

So that’s it for my Easter!

I hope you had  a great one too!

Kate @ Suburban Sweetheart April 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Way to go! And you TOTALLY looked cute. That dress is definitely flattering on you, & so is the pink!
Kate @ Suburban Sweetheart recently posted..I Spy (Or Am Spied, Or Am Near a Spy, Or Something Else Spy-Related)My Profile

Sheila April 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm

That dress looks wonderful on you but not as wonderful as the SMILE you are wearing! I love that you made a new non-foody tradtion and those easter baskets rock! I’ve never seen confetti eggs…how FUN!!! We did Gift Cards this year in lieu of baskets but my mom did proper baskets for them. Candy included. But not much, she has really tried to scale back on candy for the kids. They still have Halloween candy in their rooms!

I loved our Easter sunday service too, the message was amazing! Glad you had such a great holiday.
Sheila recently posted..Gym vs. Looking GoodMy Profile

Anna April 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm

you are TOTALLY Cute! and the happiness is flowing out of your face. Isn’t it amazing to think that not only did Jesus work miracles….not just in raising from the dead…..but HE is working a miracle in our individual lives? And on Easter He showed you your personal miracles! I have the goosebumps!!!

*tara April 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

That dress is absolutely adorable on you! You are SUPER cute!

And by the way, maybe you know this, but there are lots of things you can do about the thigh-rubbing problem. I usually wear a pair of Luvees (they’re not meant to squeeze you into a smaller size like Spanx, meaning they’re actually COMFORTABLE for everyday wear), or you can always try putting BodyGlide, Monistat chafing lotion, or deodorant/baby powder on your thighs. The Luvees are my top choice since you don’t have to worry about reapplying a product. Bike shorts work great too. At any rate, maybe you don’t have to worry about this problem anymore, but those are my recs for anyone who does!

*tara April 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Whoops, that’s http://luvees.com .

Lady Amanda April 1, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Awesome! Totally awesome!

Kara April 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Holly, you are amazing and I think you look super cute in that dress! I stumbled upon your blog a couple weeks ago and I am hooked. I love your writing style and I love to hear your experiences and what you have to say. I’m working on cutting sugar out of my life right now too and to see how far you have come gives me some hope. Thank you, you are one awesome lady!

Elizabeth April 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Love it!! You look great! Your kids are adorable as always!
Elizabeth recently posted..Weigh-In Wed!My Profile

Debra Cummings Lewis April 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

You look absolutely great in that dress!! Gorgeous!! I, too, wore a dress on Easter and I felt really great about my weight loss success…..even went sleeveless. Your success brought tears to my eyes because I know exactly how you felt…..sleeve sister unite!!

Jenn M April 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm

You rocked your dress!! Woo hoo! I am sure the children much enjoy a healthy happy momma over food traditions, and their feedback says it all. Congrats on new traditions and *freedom*!!

Lori April 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I’m glad you had such a good Easter. But you are wrong about one thing. You did not look ‘cute’ in that dress. You looked “FABULOUS!”

I love the confetti eggs. I’m going to have to see if they have them around here.
Lori

Staci April 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Well I think you look real cute! And I love the little jacket!
Staci recently posted..Tears of FrustrationMy Profile

jennxaz April 1, 2013 at 5:20 pm

that is wonderful! and we started new tradition at our house…we did toys and such and no candy…it was awesome for it to not be all about the food!

Ronda April 1, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I LOVE that dress! Absolutely adorable.
We also do very little candy around here. The kids each got one very small chocolate bunny and an individual size bag of jelly beans. We did hair bands, slipper socks, stuffed animals, etc.
We still have Halloween and Valentine’s Day candy left over!
So glad it was a wonderful holiday for you and your sweet family.
God Bless You!

Karen Sanders April 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm

You DO look cute!
Karen Sanders recently posted..An Ironic LifeMy Profile

Cheri April 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I love those confetti eggs! Must look for them next year!

And you do look adorable in the dress, SO happy you bought it and wore it! We did the same thing with the restaurant, I felt the same way – I wanted to have one meal and be done. 🙂 I also love and agree with the feeling that it is my choice to have things/not have things, and I love that freedom to be less black/white and figure it out on a case by case basis. All or nothing may feel easier at times, but hasn’t worked well in the past. 🙂

I’m glad you all had a wonderful Easter. 🙂
Cheri recently posted..Trapping the Easter Bunny, Fried Dill Pickles, and Dreams of VegasMy Profile

Lorenda April 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm

You do look great in the dress!! I’m glad that you had a wonderful Easter!

Valerie April 1, 2013 at 6:19 pm

You are without a doubt, capital C-U-T-E! Your new Easter traditions sound so much fun too!

Donna April 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

If you had visited our church, when I greeted you my reaction would have been ” what a very pretty girl”

Drazzie April 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Awwww – so adorable!!!
Drazzie recently posted..I’m going to kill the Easter Bunny. For realz.My Profile

Fee April 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm

You do look cute! Great dress!

Amanda April 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Haha! I am so happy for you! You looked very pretty in that dress, radiant even! Good for you 🙂

Robyn April 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Holly- Your blogs are incredible. I am either smiling from ear to ear (like todays) or almost in tears.
I just love how you don’t take anything for granted. You are really a treasure and a CUTE one too.

Natalie April 2, 2013 at 2:06 am

It looks like a great day.

My thighs started rubbing together when I got to only about 150 lbs, must be my body shape I guess. Agony. So if I wear a dress it’s only with bike shorts or something similar underneath. I’m glad you no longer have that problem!
Natalie recently posted..EasterMy Profile

Rhonda April 2, 2013 at 2:13 am

You totally rocked that dress! Love the Easter Baskets you did for the kids. I’m already thinking about Christmas Stocking stuffers and plan to do something similar. I ordered some really cute handmade knit “Elf” stockings that are also personalized for just $15 each! That is like a gift by itself right there lol….

Linda Sherwood April 2, 2013 at 2:23 am

You look gorgeous, and I’m glad you said that out loud in that restaurant! What a great moment! I love the confetti eggs! What a great idea. I also think your baskets are great examples of alternatives to candy. Thanks for sharing them!
Linda Sherwood recently posted..30 Day Shred UpdateMy Profile

Jane April 2, 2013 at 3:01 am

When I saw the first photo of you in your dress, I thought…How Cute! Soooooo, you’re not the only one who thought you looked cute. 😉 I love those baskets you put together for your kids. Awesome. Very cool Holly!

Michelle W. April 2, 2013 at 3:13 am

You know I remember my thighs rubbing together and being embarrassed when I was at Epcot with my sister and mother about 20 years and 150 pounds ago. That is, I was lighter by 150 pounds.
At my current weight of over 350, my thighs are so big that they never rub together anymore–I was surprised by this—but then I realized that it was because they’re so big that they just stay together all the time now. 🙁
I’m glad that your first “no candy” Easter was a success and you were just beautiful in your dress.
The kids appeared to be quite happy with their baskets—no trauma at all! 🙂
Thanks for sharing your experiences and letting us know that it can be done.

Jen April 2, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I love love love this Holly! We have spring break this week, and because it’s a staycation, and I was feeling guilty, I filled our house with lots of treats and favorite meals. I feel that it’s hard to celebrate without the food, but perhaps if I keep trying, I just might find my way!! You inspire me to keep trying and create new traditions! Great great post!!!

Misty April 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I won’t wear dresses… I wore one for our family pic like last year and hate the whole thing. Dresses make me feel 10 times bigger. Aside from the whole leg thing lol. That then I need fat suckers so I don’t look so lumpy. Yeah I don’t like dresses much at least now when I am big. I didn’t mind them much when I was smaller. WTG on the dress. We cut back on the easter candy this year… We still did the candy because my kids have plenty of crap but we did less and their eggs was crackers and stuff. They each got one bag of candy the rest was good snacks.
Misty recently posted..Weigh In Tuesday…. So What Did My Scale Say?My Profile

Meta April 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm

This was such a happy post. You do look cute and fabulous and happiness is pouring out of you. Made me happy to just read it and see your beautiful, radiant face.

Natasha April 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Happy Easter! I love reading your blog. You looked wonderfully stylish and *happy* in your dress, and you have such a beautiful family. You are a great inspiration to me!!

Danielle April 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog! Now I get to tell you how AMAZING you looked in your dress! And I love the idea of taking the focus off of food for the holidays. We are working on being healthier around here and it’s so difficult sometimes. I also wish I had done the same thing with making it a candy-free Easter. Great post!
Danielle recently posted..Books rock my world.My Profile

Darcy Perdu April 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm

You look ADORABLE in your Easter dress! I’ve been reading through your website. What an amazing inspriation you are! Congratulations on all your incredible accomplishments!
Darcy Perdu recently posted..The One Thing Disneyland INSISTS You Do NOT Bring to Their ParkMy Profile

TheFeelGoodDepot April 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

WOW, such an inspiration!!! Keep it up, it is definitely working for you and you deserve all the good things that are coming your way!!!!
TheFeelGoodDepot recently posted..2 year Old Picks Lock to Steal Sister’s Toys @ The Feel Good DepotMy Profile

Angela April 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Great story and you do look very cute in the dress and on top of all the great things you mentioned, crossing your legs, sitting in ONE chair and without fear of it breaking, walking to the top/back of church, standing and waiting for 30 minutes without pain, you got the dress for $10 …it was a fabulous day all the way around!!!! I’m down 123 pounds since 2.29.12 and I’ve experienced many of the things you’ve listed, the chairs, the standing, etc. However, maybe the most exciting thing is the whole new world of clothing choices available to me now AND the fact that I can often get them at really, really, great prices!!! I too wore a skirt on Easter, for the first time in 10 or 15 years, and I was actually able to tuck my shirt in!!! It was FABULOUS!! I have been blessed to be able to lose those pounds. I have been blessed with good health, I’ve remained relatively injury free (I’m nursing some torn ligaments in my ankle right now but that will heal) and I’ve remained focused on my food plan and exercise. I have been blessed to come this far and I know I did not do this alone.

Again, congratulations to you on all you’ve accomplished. I really enjoy your blog and Facebook page.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down April 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Angela!! It didn’t even cross my mind that I was able to pick up a dress for only 10 bucks which I could never have done before. It is so hard to get clothing that is plus size and not overpriced!! Thanks for reminding me of that AND congratulations on your 123 pound weight loss. Woo HOO!!!

Tasha April 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm

You look BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the idea of Confetti Eggs. I’m in Oklahoma so I’m sure I could find them as well! 🙂
BTW, you DID look CUTE….way cute! 🙂

Ashley April 3, 2013 at 3:32 pm

You looked so pretty in your Easter dress!! I just discovered your blog, but look forward to sharing in the rest of your journey!

Lori April 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

You looked SO CUTE in your Easter dress! And I’m glad you thought so. I can’t believe you bought a $10 dress without trying it on and it was so flattering – That’s the miracle part of the story!

suzanne April 4, 2013 at 1:44 am

I love your dress!
What a great way to spend Easter.
suzanne recently posted..Not much of a post today!My Profile

Lauren April 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

You looked fabulous! Love the dress and the sweater/jacket, I wore a similar one myself. Your family is absolutely gorgeous. You are so blessed. 🙂 I too wore a dress for Easter this year for the first time in years. I used to wear pants or a skirt and blouse, if a skirt I’d have shorts of some sort underneath, because I couldn’t fit into a dress properly. This year’s was a 16 just like you and I’ve always had the boob issue as well. Though my mom had to take the top part IN for me a bit!!!! I actually had my husband take a picture of me so I could see how I looked. I thought I looked pretty good, but he kept telling me I looked fantastic. I love my husband. 🙂 Love the cascarones idea too. Unfortunately, I can’t get them up this way. We did a mostly candy free Easter. We didn’t do candy, but my daughter got some from her grandparents and from the egg hunt after church. I’ll probably end up throwing it out anyway as she doesn’t really eat it.