Tight Spaces

March 15, 2013 in Uncategorized

Last night I found myself sharing the recliner with my daughter, Charlotte.

We BOTH fit in it side by side!  But that was not always the case.

Lee bought this recliner for me when I weighed 417 pounds.

He had to call around to find it and it was the absolute biggest one we could find.

The day that we bought it I waited in the car while he scoped it out.

When he decided it was worth a try, he called to let me know that I should come in the store.

You see, at that point, I only walked when absolutely necessary because of the pain.  I remember getting from the car to that recliner.  Luckily it was a furniture store so I could stop and sit down on a couch every few feet on my way to the back where the recliner was located.  It was a tough journey getting to it.  And I remember being discouraged because I barely fit in it and yet we knew it was the biggest one we could find.   This recliner was basically my bed and I lived my life from it.

Today I no longer live from the recliner.  It is not my bed.  It is not where I exist.

At one point, the recliner could barely fit me.  Now my kids can pile in with me.  And it’s roomy!!

As a mom, you want to be able to enjoy those moments.  You want to snuggle with your kids but that was very hard to do at over 400 pounds.  I felt so often that my weight was a barrier that kept me from being able to enjoy these things. I couldn’t carry them or pick them up.  I couldn’t get a blanket and snuggle up in a recliner to watch a movie.  We tried but it just wasn’t as easy.  Now it feels effortless!

photo-320

Twice in the past few weeks, I’ve been parked next to a car that was so close I had to squeeze out or back in.

In the past, that would have been impossible.

I would have had to ask a total stranger to please back my car out for me so I could get in

Or I would have had to wait for the owner of the car next to me to return

You don’t squeeze in and out of spaces at over 400 pounds

This contributes to your fear of going places because you have to be protective of yourself

Not getting yourself into unsafe situations where you may find yourself unable to fit

And then having to stand for a long time waiting which might result in falling if you don’t have the strength

Today I can come and go places without fear

I dont worry the entire time I am inside a store that I will return to my car only to find that someone has parked so close to me

That I cannot get back in

photo-330

photo-329

So my children continue to be fascinated when I can fit through these tight spaces.  We all stop and stand around while the kids take pictures

People passing by continue to be confused as to what the big excitement is all about.

They may not understand but WE do!  I’m sure many of you do as well!

The pure joy at being able to walk back to your car and get in without any hassle

Tight spaces are no longer feared

They are now an exciting challenge!

Lady Amanda March 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

You look soo cute in the pics! Love them!

Dee March 15, 2013 at 11:47 am

Simply…you rock!!!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh March 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

I’m so glad you have the excitement and support of your kids. This will likely develop an empathy for others as they get older that is rare to find in the younger generation. Aaaaand, I just sounded like I’m 80 years old.
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh recently posted..Google Reader, virtual mooning and Food Journal FridayMy Profile

Adelyn March 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I love that you recognize all things happening around you. Big events, small events, whatever. You notice them and take them in. A good reminder for me.
Adelyn recently posted..So…Saying I’ve Been Too Busy…My Profile

Courtney March 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I think it has been awhile since I’ve seen a picture of you from the side. You’re stomach is just disappearing! You look wonderful. 🙂
Courtney recently posted..GratitudeMy Profile

T-Rex Runner March 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I’ve never been overweight, but I love your blog. Posts like this are so inspiring – I love seeing the joy you feel during moments some people take for granted. This post reminds me to be grateful for things I never even think about. Thank you! You’re amazing.

Jane March 15, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Holly, you are looking more wonderful everyday! Keep up the amazing work. You are such an inspiration to me!

Tammy March 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Love the side picture Holly, it really shows how far you have come and how beautiful you are! I know what you are talking about oh too well. A year ago, I had to have a stylist from the salon I had just visited back out my car for me. It was not a good time, but I am working on it now.

You have a great bunch of kids and I love how you are all experiencing new things now and capturing with pics. Enjoy life!
Tammy recently posted..Weigh-in, Sunday 3-10-13My Profile

Barbara March 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Seeing you and your children in all your smiling photos makes me smile. 🙂 Seeing how far you’ve come gives me hope. 🙂 I’m 56 lbs down with another 72 lbs to lose to reach my goal of 150 lbs. I have about as much energy and enthusiasm as a slug right now but spring isn’t far off and I’m hoping warmer weather will have a positive effect on my attitude 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing YOU.

Staci March 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Lookin’ good, Momma! 🙂
Staci recently posted..Never As PlannedMy Profile

Meta March 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I am so proud of you and of your kids who are so supportive of you.
You are looking absolutely great. You give me a boost as well looking at all the smiling faces. Keep up the good work.

Tess March 15, 2013 at 3:02 pm

LOVE IT!!!

Misty March 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

You are AMAZING!!!! I will defiantly be reading your blog for motivation in my journey as well.
Misty recently posted..Is your working out Challenging Enough???My Profile

Kim March 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm

You are such an inspiration and I look forward to all of your blog entries. They keep me going. You talk honestly about so many things that other people will never understand, so it helps to not feel alone in this journey. Thank you so much for having the courage to do what you do and share it with us all. You have no idea how many people you are helping.

Donna Larsen March 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I love that you posted this. I also have a recliner pretty much just like
yours. The other day I realized that my 15 lb. dog can sit next to me in the chair and there is still some space left. It is a great feeling isn’t it? Keep up the good work and I love that your kids always take the photos of you and your accomplishments. You have a wonderful family.

annamarie March 15, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Absolutely amazing, and wonderful are all your pictures.
Funny you wrote about this because I still have a good way to go and this really hit home. I always fear that someone will get too close for me to get into my car. Once many years ago when I was at my highest weight, someone parked so close that even a skinny person would not be able to get in, I had no choice but to get into the passenger side and slowly with much difficult, had to climb over the console, of course we did not have a bench seat. That was the worse and I pray that I never have to do that again.
Just love, love your blog.

Many hugs,
annamarie recently posted..Planning WorksMy Profile

Sheila March 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Awww, I just love this post. That picture of you both snuggled up in the chair, makes me think of my youngest daughter who is 10. Anytime I decide to STOP and SIT on the couch, it’s like I’m a magnet and she is metal. Somehow she is molded onto me. Sometimes I get uncomfortable (she is nearing the 100lb mark weight-wise) but then I remember that this time is fleeting and I need to appreciate it before it’s gone. I love that there was room for your dog who obviously didn’t want to be left out of the fun!
Sheila recently posted..Me, an Athlete?My Profile

Lori March 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Good for you!!
Lori

Pam March 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I was just enjoying the pleasures of being able to squeeze out of my car even when I park in a tight place yesterday! So many things normal sized people take for granted, that we are beginning to experience and enjoy as we enter that “normal” realm. I also appreciate being able to squeeze through the narrow aisles between desks, etc. when I substitute teach. There are so any times when it’s tough to be wider than normal, and they are no longer problematic!
I slept in a recliner at least half the night for many years. Now it still sits beside by my bed, pretty much unused, except for when I sit down to put on my socks! LIFE IS GOOD when you’re NORMAL!!! And you know what else life is when you’re normal-sized???? LONGER!
Pam recently posted..Planning a TripMy Profile

Nicole March 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

You are starting to look postively tiny! That is so cool.

Nancy J Jackson March 16, 2013 at 8:12 am

Thanks for your blogs. As I read them, I am reminded of similar experiences.
May 4th I am going to briskly walk my first 5K. My son, a cousin and six friends formed a Color Me Rad team. I told them to feel free to run because 6 months ago I never would have attempted even walking a 5K. I’ve lost 130 pounds, leaving 160 pounds to go. Thank you for sharing your experiences. My former best friend of many years could never understand my anxiety of going to restaurants. Would the chair fit, let alone support my 400+ pounds, is there enough room around us to accommodate other patrons or get up to use the restroom, etc. Heaven forbid if we had to wait for a table. I would have to stand while waiting to be seated. This resulted in me perspiring heavily from the effort…My family and I rarely eat out anymore because most food is too salty for our tastes. Let alone the portion sizes. To he able to fit into a booth for the first time in years was beyond words!

Linda Kuil March 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm

It’s the little things which really are the BIG things!
Linda Kuil recently posted..Back To The Lab Again…My Profile

Mimi March 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm

These are the moments to celebrate!You look fantastic!

Kim March 18, 2013 at 1:09 am

That is amazing!! What a victory! I am so glad you notice these things and find the joy in them. Keep it up!
Kim recently posted..Yippie-Pi-Yay!!My Profile

Christine A. March 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm

So awesome. I love that you and your children are enjoying each step along the way and to celebrate every moment. God bless you sweetie.

Stephanie March 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Wow!!! You look amazing!!!!! Inspirational!
Stephanie recently posted..Fast LaneMy Profile