Eat That Frog

March 18, 2013 in Uncategorized

When I first started walking outside

Once I actually made it past 30 seconds

Past counting mailboxes

And around the block more than once

I was really on my way

And I needed some way to keep myself distracted

You know….from the pain

From wanting to quit

So I started downloading books

And one of the first books I listened to

Was called “Eat That Frog!”

It’s a motivatonal book

For procrastinators

Of which I am their Queen!!

Watch this video to get the basic idea behind the phrase

EAT THAT FROG!

I can tell you right now what my “FROG” is

EXERCISE

Plain and simple

I’ve been exercising now for 20 months

And I still to this day have an issue with getting myself out the door

I still have many days where I wake up and think “Not again”

Even when I am in the middle of exercising I am often thinking

When will this end??

Make it stop

I want to quit

I HATE THIS

There are certain things I hate less than others

For example, Zumba is fun

But even in Zumba–I often want to quit

When that happens, I’ll slow down

I’ll do my own version when I can’t keep up

And I’ll tell myself to just keep moving

As long as I’m doing something—it beats laying on the couch

Walking is something I have actually come to enjoy

I can’t believe I said that but it’s true

Once I got enough weight off that every step no longer brought tears and pain

Walking became enjoyable IF I could get myself motivated to START

The problem isn’t the activity of walking

The problem is the bed that won’t release me to get out the door

Once I am out the door

Then I’m on my way!

It’s just all that in between stuff that trips me up!

But once I’m finally moving, I have been known to go further than intended

I will listen to books or music a lot of the time while I’m walking and I’ll often go a little further

Just to hear one more chapter or one more song

SO….here’s the thing

I don’t always love the idea of a workout

But I do love the pay offs

I love walking through Walmart without getting tired

I love carrying in my groceries with little effort

I love playing with my kids and keeping up

I love pain free living

And if I don’t work out for 2 or 3 days

The pain and stiffness returns

So while I have yet to fall in love with working out

I have fallen in love with the benefits of it

And yet the only way I can get it accomplished

Is to “eat that frog”

First thing in the morning

Before I can think about it

Before I can rationalize

Or convince myself that I’m too busy

Before the kids wake up

And the day begins

I put out my workout clothes by the bed

That way I can’t convince myself that finding them will take too long

My shoes, socks, ipod, earbuds, and keys are all by the front door

I set the clock and before I’m awake….I’m already out the door

My brain is not even switched to “Power On”

And I’m halfway around the block

No coffee is running through my veins

And one eye is barely open

But I’m moving

I’m already coming to my first lap around the block

When my brain finally figures out that the body is in charge

At least for now

By the time my mind has time to get into the game

And tell me this is a bad idea

I’m halfway into lap two

And feeling proud of myself

I’ve already made a good decision

I’m already halfway done

Why quit now??

Crank up the music

And keep on cruising

Wave to my neighbors who are out on the same path

The sun starts to shine a bit brighter

And now I’m home

I walk back in the house

And it’s barely 6 AM

But my work is done

I’ve already accomplished the worst thing I had to do that day

I already ate the frog

And now I feel strong

Mentally strong

Because I conquered it

Before a single cup of coffee

Now I can head for the Keurig

And choose a flavor

Enjoy my morning coffee

And begin the next task for my day

The kids awake and see me standing in the kitchen

Sweat on my face

Workout clothes and tennis shoes

Such a different image from the mother who used to be

Laying in a recliner just a few feet away

Waiting for the kids to help her out of it

If exercise is the worst thing on your list

I highly recommend

Viewing it as the frog you have to eat first thing in the morning

It works for me

Maybe it will work for you!!

exercise2.001

Mimi March 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I love when I actually wake up early enough to exercise first thing in the am. It feels good to get it out of the way!
Mimi recently posted..It’s a Sign!My Profile

jennxaz March 18, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I miss getting my workout done in the morning..but I have to be to work at 5:00 and getting up earlier than 4 is just not happening..but I do feel great getting it in the evening to..just have to take more showers 🙂 Your rocking it!

Yvonne March 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I did the same thing when I used to go walking before the extra 100 lbs and arthritic knees, except that I would gulp down a hot cup of tea first. You are right on. I still do it now with my chair exercises (but I still need my tea first).

Pam March 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I too struggle with finding the motivation to get out of the house and go for a walk. It’s too cold, or I’m too tired, or there’s SNOW! But the last week I have been doing great. Over the last 3 days, Lola (my bulldog) and I have walked 11 miles. I’m trying to drop a few pounds that I gained, and hoping that extra walking will help, even though I know it takes a lot of walking to burn many calories. It’s still my exercise of choice. And it is so much easier now that it doesn’t hurt anymore!
Today it is windy and bitter here, but I need to take Lola down the road. I have found that if I can make myself put on my walking shoes, then I will get my rear end out the door. So better go change my shoes….
Pam recently posted..Advice NeededMy Profile

Robyn March 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I also find morning work-outs is the only way it is going to happen. The day gets in the way if I don’t exercise first thing. I pack everything the night before even if I think I am not going to make it the next day (feeling sick the night before for example). It is amazing how just that little thing gets me up and to the gym.
And we get to feel the benefits all day!

Natalie March 18, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I hate getting up early (tried it, hated it) but what works for me is doing my exercise first thing after dropping the kids at school; so it’s still more or less the first frog of the day. If I don’t do it then, the likelihood that it will get done goes down and down.
Natalie recently posted..Baby cuddlesMy Profile

suzanne March 19, 2013 at 3:23 am

One of my goals is to become a morning person. So far this weeks it’s going great and giving me more time to get my working out done!
suzanne recently posted..Walking, walking, walking….My Profile

Amanda March 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Great post! I started walking last week, first thing in the morning, and it really had an amazing impact on my mood each day! I made myself a little chart to record that I walked, drank my water, took my vitamin, and had personal quiet time each day. I felt so good by Friday last week, it was incredible!

Then yesterday I woke up to tornado sirens, lightening and a severe T-storm, and between comforting scared kids, then fixing their breakfast, getting them off to school, bottles, diapers, before I knew it I was into my day, and had TOTALLY forgotten to walk. As soon as I remembered it started to bug me. A lot. Actually, it kinda ruined my day. It was this cloud hanging over me all day long.

Finally, after dinner, homework, putting 3 kids and a husband to bed, I FINALLY went for my walk. At least by 9pm it had stopped raining. My dog thought I was a little nuts, I NEVER go walking at night, but he came with me and kept me company anyway.

While I walked I could hear the frogs chirping in the pond, and all I could think was “I should have ate my frog earlier today!” (I had read this post yesterday)

Today, I got my walk in first thing after getting my oldest on the bus (comes at 6:15am, yes, that early!). It felt so good to go for my walk, to be taking in the beautiful nature around me, as the sun came up. It feeds my soul <3

Tess March 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm

We need to put that saying on a tshirt!! “Exercise in the morning before your brain figures out what you’re doing!” Love it!!

Caron March 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm

You are speaking my language. Exercise is the thing I struggle the most with and I absolutely know how important it is for me to do it. Thanks for a great post. 🙂
Caron recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day EveMy Profile