You Are Loved

February 14, 2013 in Uncategorized

It’s Valentine’s Day

And I truly love this holiday

But it was not always this way

I’ve been divorced six years

And it was very hard in the beginning

So many times  this day brought to my life

Sorrow and sadness

Loneliness and depression

For it only reminded me of what I lacked

What was lost

What was gone

When you are single or divorced

Valentine’s Day shines a light down on the obvious

With a blaring megaphone that screams

YOU ARE ALONE

And it’s hard enough to walk through life

All by yourself

Without having that one day a year where your “Alone-ness” is highlighted

Every store is filled with flowers and hearts and chocolates

As if to say….YOU are the oddball

You are the only one that’s alone

What’s wrong with you??

You are single

You are divorced

No one loves you

No one cares

Those are the thoughts running through your head

Then one day many years ago as  I was crying into my pillow

Pouring tears out once again over the vast loneliness that filled my heart

And the rejection which had consumed me when my husband left

This scripture was brought to my attention

And it kind of shocked me

Because it was so very specific to my situation

That I could barely believe I had never seen it before!!

Don’t be afraid, because you will not be ashamed.
Don’t be embarrassed, because you will not be disgraced.
You will forget the shame you felt earlier;
you will not remember the shame you felt when you lost your husband.
 The God who made you is like your husband.
His name is the Lord All-Powerful.
The Holy One of Israel is the one who saves you.
He is called the God of all the earth.
 You were like a woman whose husband left her,
and you were very sad.
You were like a wife who married young
and then her husband left her.
But the Lord called you to be his,”
says your God.

The mountains may disappear,
and the hills may come to an end,
but my love will never disappear;
my promise of peace will not come to an end,”
says the Lord who shows mercy to you.

Isaiah 54:4-10

You see, the truth is this

We are not alone

We may be single

We may be divorced

But we are NOT alone

Someone does love us

Someone cares

We may look “alone”

We may even feel “alone”

But that does not change the fact

THAT WE ARE NOT ALONE

God is the valentine who will never forget you

You are never forgotten

Always on His mind

His thoughts are filled with great plans for you

Each day He longs to fill your heart with the knowledge of His love

When you cry,  He counts every tear

When your heart breaks, so does His

No matter where I go, He is with me

If I sit alone in a movie theatre

He is there

If I wake up in the night

I can talk to Him and He hears me

There has never been a single moment that I was ever alone

In spite of how I felt

In spite of what my circumstances showed

In spite of my “singleness”

There has never been a second that He left my side

If you feel lonely today

Please know this

While you may feel alone

You are NOT alone

You have never been alone

I learned this week that one of the names for God

Is El Roi

And it means

The God Who Sees Me

If you’ve ever felt invisible

If you’ve ever felt dismissed

Or unnoticed

Or ignored

Then remember this

GOD SEES YOU

And He loves you desperately

Several  years ago, my son began taking an interest in Valentine’s Day

He would ask me to take him to the store so he could buy me something

I remember when he was three years old, he snuck a 5 dollar heart necklace into the cart at Walmart

That he wanted to get me for Valentine’s Day

That 5 dollar necklace is my most prized possession

Today we stood in line while he “bought” me flowers and a balloon

The cashier asked him “Is that for your girlfriend?”

To which he replied

“No…these are for my Mama”

photo-286

My son is the man in my life now who never lets me get through Valentine’s Day

Without being reminded I am special and loved

But even if this was not the case

There is one whose love for me far surpasses anything the world could offer

He will love each one of us endlessly

And His love endures forever

Today I want to wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day

And for my friends who are alone

I want you to know

Many are out there who feel the same way

Buy yourself the flowers

Take yourself to the movie

Because you ARE special

You ARE loved

And today IS your day

Grasp it

Embrace it

Because His love for you is wider and deeper than you could ever imagine

And it will carry you through any storm

I know because I’ve been there

So remember His love

And know that when He tells you you’re special

He means it

And so do I

Want to know more about my thoughts on Valentine’s Day?

Here is the link to last year’s post

Natalie February 14, 2013 at 8:06 am

I can’t help noticing that your recent posts are very God-related (not that there is anything wrong with that!) but people tend to turn to Him when they are feeling particularly low and helpless and it makes me worry for you that you need to keep reminding yourself of His love every day to get you through the day. Are things particularly hard for you at the moment? Many people out in blogland are thinking of you.
Natalie recently posted..Trying to turn it aroundMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Natalie!! That is so sweet! Actually, if you read my blog from the start you will probably see that I write a lot about my faith and how it has changed my life. You are right that at times it seems to be a more prominent subject in my posts than other times but this only reminds me that if I have gone too long without mentioning Him I have failed to give credit to the One who truly is owed all the glory for every pound I have lost. God has helped me to overcome many obstacles. In fact, my original blog title was “Focus Up”. You make a great point that many people turn to God when they are feeing low and helpless. One of the greatest “secrets” I have discovered in my life is that I can turn to Him not just in those times but every single day for every little thing. I do have to remind myself daily of His unfailing love as each and every one of my days is filled with the innumerable hurdles of being a food addict, single mom and just regular life. I would be lying if I said one pound of weight loss is due to my own strength. I must rely on Him every second of the day to maintain the stability that I now have. However, it is not something that makes me feel sad or unhappy at all. Quite the opposite! Now that I live every second of my life totally dependent on Him I have freedom. He is with me through the day and His love is literally the air that I breathe. It gives me peace and joy that I only wish I could adequately convey on this blog but often fall short of doing so. Thank you so much for your concern, Natalie! I appreciate you!

Cindy February 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

What a great post for all of us not just people single or divorced. There are times we all feel lonely even in a crowd full of people. I love your posts and appreciate you are not afraid to speak out about your faith. So many bloggers worry about offending people if they talk about God or religion or they won’t get as many “views”. It is nice to go to a blog and feel uplifted or encouraged. Thank you…

Lee Ann February 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Love it Holly. And you ARE loved. Not only by family but by those of us that you inspire each and every day.
Lee Ann recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day! and Other StuffMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thanks Lee Ann!!!

jennxaz February 14, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Oh, I love it! You are raising a good boy there!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thanks Jenn!!

Beth February 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Holly,

I have been reading your blog for a couple months and have commented occasionally. Today I just want to say that I think you are beautiful on the inside. In addition, each photo you post, you are more and more gorgeous on the outside too. Truly! You look fantastic! Have a great day. That boy of yours is too sweet. 🙂

Donna February 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for another great post Holly, just so much truth you have written. Donna

Staci February 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

You have no clue how much your story about your son warms my heart. I am a puddle of mush over my son! When he asks for a kiss or just wraps his arms around my neck, I melt every time! To think that he may one day grow up and shower me with affection just thrills me. 🙂
Staci recently posted..Klutzy, Clunky DayMy Profile

Cathy February 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Holly, Happy Valentine’s Day! What a wonderful post! I am so glad that God’s love endures forever! Not just for a day, a year or a lifetime here, but forever! You have been blessed with beautiful children who have your heart! Your son is so sweet to remember you on these special days! One day he will make a wonderful husband and father! Now if your like me, the closer I am to the Lord, the happier I am and the more I want to share his love! God bless you!

Valerie February 14, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day, Holly! You have the sweetest and most beautiful children. I think they take after their mama!

Jane February 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Happy Valentines Day Holly! Thank you for reminding me that His love for me is endless.

Lori February 14, 2013 at 5:02 pm

On of my favorite memories of this day is from my lonely single days. My two nephews who were about 5 and 2 were waiting for me on my front porch when I got home from work. My sister had taken them to the convenience store and gotten a rose for one of them to give me and a heart shaped chocolate for the other to give me. The chocolate was all melted since he was clutching it so tight in his little fist. Their faces were all bright and shiney as they gave me their gifts. The love glowing from their sweet faces was obvious. Those little boys are grown ups now and one even has a child. But that memory still brings a smile.

Tess February 14, 2013 at 5:38 pm

You have the sweetest little guy ever!! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your family! <3

Yvonne February 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

You have Valentines day all the days of the year with the love and compassion your children show you. In the store today I saw many men making that last minute purchase to get through Valentine’s day. No sense of thought involved. Go to the drugstore, grab a card and chocolate or a rose and head on home to present the gift and get through the day. Your children do so many thoughtful and caring things for you throughout the year. You are truly blessed with the pure love from them. With them you are never alone.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down February 14, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Thanks Yvonne!! So true!

Nicola February 14, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day, Holly! Whether we are single, attached or somewhere in between the most important thing is to value ourselves. Sometimes it’s easier to focus on an absence rather than a presence but you have so many people in your life who care about you and wish you only the best that I hope you are feeling the love today 🙂

Laura February 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm

What a sweet spirit you have, Holly! Thank you for your honesty, and your willingness to share. You truly are blessed, and you truly are a blessing!

Gi February 15, 2013 at 12:45 am

I love that your son gets you flowers on Valentines Day! That is the sweetest thing I have ever read, what a little gentleman you are rasing.
Happy Valentines Day!
Gi xx
Gi recently posted..12wbt Day 4My Profile

Steelers6 February 15, 2013 at 4:06 am

Sooo sweet!!

Thank you for the precious post. You are
loved.

XO Chrissy

Deb February 15, 2013 at 5:14 am

Hi Holly,
Awesome post about true Love. Many tears shed while I read it, not just sadness for the past and leaving it behind but also for being reminded of the amazing power of God’s Love for us!
Thank you!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Deb

Tom February 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Great message – I am going through a tough time myself (see MFP proile). It can be hard mot to blame myself for everythinbg that has happened to my marriage. Everyone says that at least I have taken responsibilty for what I have done/not done. I realize now that I was calling out for help and that call was not answered in a way that would have saved my marriage. It saddens me b/c I love my wife dearly and she just wants to be done with me forever.
sad in PA

Faith February 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Holly, I’ve read your blog from the start and while I struggle with my own relationship with God, I always admire the one you have with Him. It never ceases to amaze me how forgiving your spirit is and how absolutely kind your heart is. I admire you in so many areas but I think the one that always warms my heart the most is how wonderful a mom you are. I wish there were more moms in the world like you, I really do, your children are so blessed. 🙂
~Faith~