Seventeen…

February 27, 2013 in Uncategorized

My oldest daughter, Savannah, just turned 17 years old

It’s hard for me to believe…but it’s true!

Last year, I wrote a blog post about her 16th birthday

And how for the first time in years

We were able to go to the mall

One year ago, I had just gotten under 300 pounds

And I was finally able to take her shopping

Without having to wait in the car

Or get parked in a chair near the food court

While she shopped alone

So here we are last year on her 16th birthday

Conquering the mall ~!

It’s Texas…so of course we have boots outside our mall

Untitled

And here we are last year WALKING the mall together for the first time in years!

For once I’m out of the car and by her side!!

photo-316

I remember how exciting it was for me to finally be able to walk in the mall again

At that point it was still hurting my knee and it was tiring but I was able to do it

After years of having to just make it to the nearest chair and wait for her

Or wait in the car

It was amazing to finally “Rise and Walk!”

It felt like a miracle!

The progress I have made physically in the past year just amazes me

I remember thinking that the damage was done and I might never live a full life again

But with every pound I lose and every bit of strength I gain from exercising

I find that my body is bouncing back and it has not betrayed me after all!

I may not be 20 years old and things may not exactly look as they once did

But physically I can go and do and see…..and THAT is what I always wanted!!

This year for her birthday

We did something else I could never have done at 417 pounds

We had a spa day!!

And got a pedicure

Something ย that for many years was an impossibility

Because I could not fit in the chair

Or even maneuver my way into it

So here we are enjoying our day

Enjoying our mother/daughter girl time!

photo-311

And instead of waiting for her in the car

Because I don’t fit in any ย chair there

I get to actually be there WITH her!

photo-312

It’s hard for me to believe that my baby is now 17

photo-309

photo-310

Savannah has always been a blessing to my life

From the moment she entered the world

She was nothing less than a ray of sunshine

That God poured down

So the dark times could never get too dark

And the light would never shine too far from my face

Due to her motivation and determination

She graduated high school at age 16

And starts college this summer

While losing 218 pounds is certainly something I am proud of

Nothing could ever compare to how proud I am of my children

Savannah is my oldest

And she may only be 17

But she’s helped me raise her siblings

She held me by the arm when I could barely walk to the mailbox and back

And she has done it all with grace

There are some days I wonder why God saw fit to bless me with such a beautiful gift

But then I remember

His Mercy and Compassion knows no bounds

And within that generosity…..he gave me Savannah

photo-315

photo-313

photo-314

When Savannah was younger, we used to listen to a lot of Shania Twain

And this song reminds me of her

But more than that

It reminds me of all of us!

Because this song says

“She’s got everything it takes!”

And that’s Savannah

That’s YOU

That’s ME!

We’ve got what it takes!

And let’s never forget it!

Sandra March 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

What a beautiful, beautiful tribute to your lovely daughter!

Lee Ann March 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Awe! Happy Birthday to Her! So glad you had fun at spa day!
Lee Ann recently posted..Oh Holy Cow!!My Profile

Amy March 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

You look like sisters now!! Your story is beautiful!!!

Linda Sherwood March 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Happy birthday to her! I love the photos, so thank you for sharing those.
Linda Sherwood recently posted..Fit Friday: Happy Birthday, Mom!My Profile

jennxaz March 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

what a beautiful picture of you too…love those little girl pics too…she is precious!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh March 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Happy Birthday to your beautiful, smart, strong daughter. I don’t need to have met her and even read this post to know she’s all of those things… she’s YOUR daughter! ๐Ÿ™‚
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh recently posted..End of February Food Journal FridayMy Profile

Courtney March 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Happy Birthday to your beautiful and supportive daughter!!! Hearing you talk about Savannah makes me think of this inspiring series that was done by an author/blogger called “Women of Valor”.

When I read about Savannah my thought is: now that’s a woman of valor!
Courtney recently posted..Numbing AgentsMy Profile

Steelers6 March 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Oh, nice post. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Belated bday to
a beautiful woman. Glad you could celebrate
together.

Do you mind saying if she will be going
off to college far away? (Not what school, or
anything.) My dd will be 17
in a few months, with one more year of
HS. I can’t imagine her going away too far
from me…..Aaaa! But of course I must let
her go. I know you are close also.

You two look so much alike now, wondering
if your 17 year old self looks just like her.
You might have to find a photo of you at 17. ๐Ÿ™‚

Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm

She’s going to community college locally. First step–buy her a car so she can get there!

peggi March 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Happy Birthday Savanah! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Jackie W March 1, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Happy birthday to a beautiful girl!!!

Debby H March 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Happy Birthday Savannah!!!
Debby H recently posted..Friday FiveMy Profile

marjaypen March 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What a lovely young lady! You two could be sisters in your photo, beautiful ladies!

Lori March 1, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Happy birthday, sweet Savannah! Her wisdom has been a blessing to my life too.
Lori

Staci March 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

She is beautiful just like her momma! And you have lost so much weigh between her 16th and 17th!! Wow! So awesome that she graduated early. ๐Ÿ™‚
Staci recently posted..Fun Post – Liebster AwardMy Profile

Shay March 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I love your blog, and I recently got nominated for the Inspiring Blogger award. One of the guidelines is to pass it along to blogs that you love. If you’re interested in accepting, the image and “guidelines” are on my blog today. If not, no biggie. Have a great weekend!
Shay recently posted..Scary Mommy and an Award!My Profile

Pam March 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Just read your blog for the first time Shay! Hilarious! Count me as a new reader!
Pam recently posted..Woman’s World Magazine ArticleMy Profile

Shay March 2, 2013 at 5:35 am

Aw, Pam, thank you! I’m heading over to check yours out right now!!
Shay recently posted..Scary Mommy and an Award!My Profile

Pam March 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Savannah is gorgeous and it sounds like she is also gorgeous on the inside! Your obesity taught her compassion and empathy and those are important qualities, so perhaps there was some purpose to it?!

I too have enjoyed getting to know our local mall again. It is such a joy to walk the length and width of our big mall (it’s .7 miles if you walk it once, lots of people go out there and walk in in-climate weather, I have done it myself), shop, buy, get my nails done, people watch, just take it all in. And I CAN shop in the stores, cause the clothes fit again. I had gotten to the point where I couldn’t even shop in the Lane Bryant Store there, I sized out of their clothes too, except what they offer in their catalogs and on-line. SAD what we do to ourselves.

I ran into a woman at a friend’s funeral earlier this week that is bigger than she used to be, and she has always been obese. In fact she has never known life as a normal sized person, she was heavy even as a child, cause I have known her for years. She is now in her early 40’s and I’m sure she was glad there was pews in the church where the service was, because I’m not sure she would fit in a regular chair. I also know her mother died of a sudden heart problem a few years ago, she is built just like her mother. And I’m thinking to myself, “I wonder if she realizes that every bite of food she puts in her mouth does not taste good enough to give up years of living?” I’m glad you and I have figured that out, now I want to help the world come to that realization!

Happy Birthday Savannah. Looks like you had a wonderful celebration. I shared the pictures of you two with my 27-year old (SINGLE) son. Of course he is too old for young Savannah, but he agreed with me that she is very pretty!
Pam recently posted..Woman’s World Magazine ArticleMy Profile

Kendra Little March 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I really enjoy your posts about how you enjoy your time with your family and how meaningful they are to you. Thank you for sharing that– this post really made me smile.

Ronda March 1, 2013 at 8:36 pm

She is lovely. My daughter turned 7 last October and I had a really hard time dealing with her not being a baby anymore. I can’t imagine 17!
Congrats to you and happy birthday to her!
Ronda recently posted..TTT and Ready for Spring!My Profile

Amanda March 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Such a beautiful young woman, inside and out! Happy Birthday!!

Loved the spa day pictures, she is growing up, and you have come sooooo far!

Just think what the next year will bring for both of you! Exciting!

Jane March 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Happy Birthday Savannah! What a beautiful young woman you are! I wish you all the best in college, this is a wonderful time in your life enjoy.

annamarie March 2, 2013 at 2:22 am

What a lovely post and a very Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter. She looks just like you, so pretty and happy.

What a wonderful way to celebrate her birthday.
annamarie recently posted..If things could just stay like thisMy Profile

Daphne @ Daphne Alive March 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Happy Birthday to her! She’s a splitting image of you!! I’m glad her birthday was a blast.
Daphne @ Daphne Alive recently posted..The cookbook is in!My Profile

Sheila March 2, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I remember last year’s post about the mall trip (has it really been a year already?) And I love this years post too, the pedicure is one thing that I truly don’t mind doing a few times a year and it’s worth every penny! What a fun treat for you both. She is beautiful and sounds like an amazing young lady! Happy birthday to Savannah!
Sheila recently posted..What I Ate in PhotosMy Profile

Linda Kuil March 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm

What a blessing Savannah is! Happy birthday Savannah and God Bless you in all you do!
Linda Kuil recently posted..Half Way ThereMy Profile

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking March 4, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Oh your daughter is just gorgeous! What wonderful new memories you all are making together.

Cathy March 10, 2013 at 1:45 am

Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! It reminds me so much of my daughter and I, best friends forever! When your children grow up they become your best friends! She sure looks like you!! BEAUTIFUL!