Second by Second

February 19, 2013 in Uncategorized

Happy Tuesday!!

Somehow it seems we always get trapped in the Monday’s of life.

The 1st days of the month.

Or the New Year.

We think those are our designated “start lines” and if we had a false start then we must wait a whole week, month or until next year to begin again.

God says “His mercies are new every morning” (Lamentations 3:23)

But have you read the verse right before that one?

It says “Because of His great love we are NOT consumed for his compassions never fail” (Lamentations 3:22)

Consumed by what…you ask?

Consumed by whatever is weighing you down!!

Obsessive thoughts about food?

Self defeating thoughts that you will never overcome this.

Fear that you will gain back all you have lost.

Worry that you will give into your cravings and eat the wrong thing.

Dread that when you start eating, you won’t be able to stop

Anxiety that your efforts will be for nothing come tomorrow when your willpower runs out once again.

God’s mercies are new every morning

But that’s not all

His compassion for you never fails and that means mercy is waiting for you now…not just in the morning.

Not just on Monday

Or the start of a New Year

I used to believe if I had failed and gone off track with my eating that all was lost. I had to wait until Monday to start again. I would give myself permission to just eat whatever I wanted to in the meantime believing I had already screwed up beyond repair.

Don’t believe this lie. We don’t need Monday for a fresh start

What matters is not the day of the week

What matters is WHO gave you another day!!

Every second is a fresh start

Yes even in the middle of a bag of Doritos, you can start again

We are the ones making up these rules that say “Monday” or “January 1st”

We are the ones refusing to give ourselves a fresh start

But He is the one who says

Though the mountains be shaken
and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
(Isaiah 54:10)

Maybe your mountain today is a box of Krispy Kreme placed in the office lounge

Maybe your mountain is the Dorito bag you opened yesterday and now is calling your name

Maybe your mountain is just simply your broken spirit who sees no hope in trying again

God has not removed His love, His power, or His peace from your life

And He will never remove His compassion from you either

There are days I must start fresh 20 times in a row

There are times I eat the wrong thing, put it down, pick it up, and put it down again

I quit and restart so many times in a day I wonder if God can keep track

But then I remember

He’s NOT keeping track

He’s not listing some record of all my mistakes

He’s not judging me by some gradebook of my performance

Instead He honors my efforts

And when I go to Him each morning

He turns my focus to His Heart to remind me

“Though the day may be long and your flesh may fail….I am here with you each time you fall. And I will be by your side through it all”

Today is Tuesday. But it doesn’t matter. You can start fresh whenever you choose.

His mercies are new every morning

Every minute

Every second

If it were not true, I would not be here today

Alesha February 19, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for this post…I feel like a failure every day. But you reminded me how much God loves us…through it all!
I am new to your blog but so thankful to have come across it! Have a blessed day!

annamarie February 19, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thank you so much Holly for posting this, and yes it is so true but at times when you feel your lowest you tend to forget to reach out and grasp that ray of hope. I am trying so hard to get out of this horrible funky mood and also need to stop beating myself up.

Hope all is well with you and your family.
You are truly a blessing.
Many hugs
annamarie recently posted..Trying to re-locate myselfMy Profile

Courtney February 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I know for myself when I say things like, “I’ll start on Monday,” what I’m really doing is holding onto a free-for-all as long as I can. I’m telling myself whatever I’m doing now is really okay, because I have a plan for the future in which everything will be different. Of course those excuses set me up to continue the cycle.

I think, like you say, it is only by claiming each day and moment as a fresh start that we can hope to break out of the cycle. When we accept those “new mercies” we are not only claiming hope for the future but accepting our immediate need to turn away from our present actions. Thanks for a good dose of truth on a Tuesday morning!
Courtney recently posted..A Troubling RealizationMy Profile

16blessingsmom February 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Holly, thank you! Life is made up of one trial at a time, one temptation at a time, and all things work together for the good for those who love Him. In sufferings we learn so much. You, for example, have learned mercy and compassion, and forgiveness. Thank you for you honesty and for sharing your struggles. When I read your posts, I see how many excuses I have, and when the light shines on those, freedom ensues! Thank you, and…keep fighting the good fight!!!

Della

Linda Kuil February 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I’ve gotten much better at this. If I always waited for Monday I wouldn’t lose weight, but probably gain.
Linda Kuil recently posted..Half Way ThereMy Profile

Candace Reid February 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Oh how I needed this today. After losing over 100lbs, I still have a way to go but feel like I’m getting no where and I’m such a failure, but it’s words like yours that gave me that push to pick myself up, dust myself off and keep going!! Thank you and Thank God for giving me the strength I need!!

Lee Ann February 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

You are right. Every day is a new day, every minute is a new minute. We may have failures but it is all about how we recover from them.
Lee Ann recently posted..Monday Updates and New ExperimentMy Profile

Pam February 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I have come to the realization that I can start over at 10 a.m., or 1 p.m or even 9 p.m. I don’t have to wait for the dawn of another day even, I can start over RIGHT NOW. And that is good, because too much eating is done with the weak excuse, “Well I’ve already messed up today, might as well keep going and start over tomorrow or next week or next month.” So now, if I slip, I just decide I won’t slip again IMMEDIATELY!
Pam recently posted..Damn Lauren Conrad!My Profile

Saskia February 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Thanks holly, for this post. Needed that right now. And your not the only one who wrote about Isaiah 54:10
Nick refered to it to.
So this hit home for me, to read about this at two of my favorite inspirators. God wants me to listen, and learn…

Samantha Livingston February 19, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Beautiful Holly. I LOVE what you’re doing here. You’re a voice of wisdom, balance and a great cheerleader to boot! My mountain lately has been anxiety. Using my voice. Had some good prayer today and it’s nice to be reminded of fresh starts 🙂
Samantha Livingston recently posted..Sharing HeartsMy Profile

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking February 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm

This was such an inspiring post!

Rhonda February 19, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Exactly what I needed… thank you!