Age is just a number

To be true

A lot of people dread turning 40

But I turned 40 in June

And I feel a million times better at 40 years old

Then I did

For ALL of my 30’s

So who said 40 wouldn’t be FUN!?

If you ask me

My 40’s are going to be BY FAR

Better than my 20’s or 30’s combined!!

Of this I have NO doubt

It’s kind of awesome to know

That getting older

Really only means getting healthier

And being happier in the future

Than I’ve been in well over 10 years

Amanda found some pictures I had sent to her

Back in 2006

I have no idea what I weighed in these pictures

It was over 300

But before I hit 400

When I look at the pictures of me

At 34 years old

And then today– 6 years later at 40 years old

I realize how truly amazing it is

That after being trapped in that body

For so many years

I was finally able to escape!!

It’s truly amazing what losing weight

Changing the way you eat

And working out

Will do for your life!!

It isn’t always about your age

Because age doesn’t always mean health

So whatever age you are

There is always time to change

And you might end up feeling better than ever

The older you get!

So 40…50…60….whatever it is

I am ready for it!

Age really is just a number

What matters more than your age

Is your health

My nana used to always say to me

“Health is wealth”

And she was right

I spent half of my 20’s

And all of my 30’s

Feeling horrible

Physically horrible

Mentally horrible

Emotionally horrible

Now I’m older

Wiser

Healthier

And I can honestly say

I would not trade my 40’s

For my 20’s and 30’s combined!!

Age really is just a number

It’s true what they say

You’re only as old as you feel

I’ve spent 15 years feeling elderly

Diseased, broken and sick

But now that I’m older

I actually feel younger

My age does not determine how I feel

But getting up each morning

Working out

Making good food choices

THAT determines how I will feel

Daily choices play a much bigger part

Than any number on my birth certificate

I cried when I turned 30

But when I turned 40

I celebrated

I was never so glad to see a decade leave my life

As I was to see my 30’s go

Now I feel as if I’m aging backwards!

That’s what making healthy choices will do for your life!

34 Years Old

Holly2007B

Hollycloseupglasses

Holly2007C

40 Years Old

photo-268

Oh…and a good bottle of hair dye doesn’t hurt either 🙂

30and40.003

Natalie January 23, 2013 at 5:54 am

You are so pretty! And your eyes look so wide and sparkly without your glasses. Have you tried contact lenses?

I am naturally blonde, so I’ve never had to dye my hair like the rest of you 🙂
Natalie recently posted..400 steps!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down January 24, 2013 at 6:25 am

Yep! I wear contacts now most of the time 🙂
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Pamper Yourself!My Profile

Nikki Mohamed January 23, 2013 at 6:01 am

My little sister is about to hit the big 4-0. She’s worried. I told her that turning 30 was far more difficult for me than turning 40 ever was. Maybe it’s because I’m 10 years wiser…or maybe it’s because I’ve encouraged my kids to “do the math” when they ask me what year I was born and I tell them to subtract 29 from whatever year we’re in now. (Yeah. I TOTALLY have that MOTY award nailed down, huh?) I was too busy in my 20’s being a baby factory to lose any of the weight I piled on from the first pregnancy (70+ lbs.) Then after the fifth baby, I gave birth to a 9cm x 12 cm fibroid via hysterectomy and whoa, Nelly! 2 c-section surgeries within 4 months of each other is something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Following that, I quit my job of 17 yrs and we moved to Egypt where I could be a SAHM and eat my feelings of too much change in too short a period of time in felafel and Arabic bread. *sigh* I’m so much happier in my 40’s (AHEM! …29th year.) And I’m taking it a step at a time and forcing myself to make better choices and looking to my friends, like you, for encouragement and support. Thank you, Holly. <3
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..Mid-terms, Classics, and Falling ConcreteMy Profile

Christine January 23, 2013 at 6:13 am

Age is just a number, how you feel is what matters. You look younger at 40 than you did at 34. 🙂

Linda Kuil January 23, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’m definitely feeling younger now than 10 years ago, and the makeover helped match my exterior to my interior!
Linda Kuil recently posted..I’ve Been Away Far Too LongMy Profile

Cindy January 23, 2013 at 11:45 am

You look amazingly younger now!! Wow… thanks for posting the pictures.

Linda Sherwood January 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I will turn 42 this year, and I agree! My 40s are going to be much better than my 30s because I weigh so much less. 🙂 It feels awesome to be healthier.
Linda Sherwood recently posted..I am NOT sickMy Profile

Adelyn January 23, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I remember watching a group of women talk on TV and they were talking about how wonderful 50 was. Then the other day I watched an interview with a woman (described as a “thought leader”–can’t remember her name) who was 75 and she said that 60s is when things started to get really good.

So far in my family most people have died before or right at 70. I know that with the changes I am making I have a far better chance of making it beyond that…and I am EXCITED!! And then glory beyond this world. So truly, the best is AHEAD of us!!
Adelyn recently posted..Inner AthleteMy Profile

annamarie January 23, 2013 at 1:26 pm

WOW what a transformation you have done. By all means you certainly DO NOT look 40. You look fabulous. And I certainly love your hair being blonde. You go woman.

Thanks so much for your inspiration.

Many hugs,
annamarie recently posted..Getting back into the swing of thingsMy Profile

Lee Ann January 23, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Amazing transformation! And you are looking great girl! Woo hoo!!
Lee Ann recently posted..OvertrainingMy Profile

Courtney January 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

While there is clearly a difference in weight between the two pictures, what I find truly beautiful about the one of you at 40 vs. the one at 34 is your smile. That is a genuine, happy-to-be-alive smile you’ve got there, and that sort of joy is contagious. 🙂

Staci January 23, 2013 at 2:26 pm

You really looked fashionable and pretty in that picture Amanda sent. Although you by far look HEALTHIER in the now. 🙂 I liked your hair back then, and I even like the darker color. Happy old age!!! Hehe
Staci recently posted..Pure PerfectionMy Profile

Caron January 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

My generation (I turn 65 tomorrow) had a stupid slogan that said “Never trust anyone over 30.” When I would hear it, I would wonder if they never expected to be “over 30”.

I think your 40’s are going to be awesome just like you. Go Holly. 🙂
Caron recently posted..Goal WeightsMy Profile

Karin Canazzi January 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Lovely-so glad you made YOU a priority!

Steelers6 January 23, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Wow!

But, like Staci said, while you may not have been taking
care of your health back then, you look like you were
particular about your appearance. I can’t remember if you
talked about that; did there come a time (or weight) where
you no longer took care? I’m not talking about a day around
the house with no makeup!

I’m guessing you have encounters where people don’t
recognize you.
Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down January 24, 2013 at 6:24 am

Hey girl!! I am actually going to address this in my next post. Thanks for giving me the inspiration on what to write next!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Pamper Yourself!My Profile

Lori January 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Happy birthday! The 40’s are freeing. Celebrate the whole decade.
Lori

Ali @ Peaches and Football January 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Those before and after photos are amazing – and so inspiring! I often felt I threw away my 20s by being overweight and now that I’m into my 30s, I’m hopeful I can turn things around and not lose out on all of my 30s too. It’s a long process though and great to see people who are successful. Way to go!
Ali @ Peaches and Football recently posted..A Chilly Send-OffMy Profile

Kendra January 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This is a great reminder about age.

You’re a beautiful woman. I think you rock the blonde hair, but you could look fantastic as a redhead or with dark hair, too. You just look so happy and confident, it’s great.

Melissa D January 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm

You look wonderful!! Another great post!
Melissa D recently posted..UGHh I need a bigger drinking problem…My Profile

G Cottle January 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Welcome to the Fabulous Forty Club, Holly! I figure I’ve earned every year on this earth so I’m gonna claim them all. I find that I especially appreciate them now that I’m healthier and happier. You’re always inspiring me to keep going. Right now I’m 33 lbs from my goal weight and every lb is a struggle to get off. I read your blog and I am encouraged to keep going. I can’t wait to get my 100lb tiara – my husband has been notified that I must have one too!- and I’m eight lbs from that goal. Thank you for being you. Thank you for continuing to bear your heart to us. Your life makes a difference in my life.

Michele Moore January 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Look at you! Look how fabulously happy you look in your most recent pictures. What you have done is nothing short of remarkable! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.
Michele Moore recently posted..Sigh . . .My Profile

Fee January 23, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Happy Birthday Holly! You are beautiful inside and out!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm

You’ve hit that awesome stage where you look like your “old self’s” daughter! 🙂
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh recently posted..Trader Joe’s Food Reviews: Snack EditionMy Profile

Lady Amanda January 23, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Fabulous at 40! Love it!

Pam January 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I feel better at 60, than I ever felt at 40 or 50! For me, it was 30 years of feeling bloated, having no energy, struggling just to get around. THIRTY YEARS! What a waste. But I refuse to have regrets now because I’ve got too much living to do!!!
Pam recently posted..It’s Snowing!My Profile

Sara Thornton January 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

My dearest. You are only as old as you feel and as you make yourself out to be, not the actual number! It’s such a lovely thing to meet people not bound by age. So many succumb to it and think oh, well I’m this or that age I can’t do this or that and have fun. People think other people their age don’t go out and do things or seek out their interests and do things related to that. It’s what makes this journey for us post WLS people so interesting, it’s like we are reminded that we don’t have to sit around our whole life and not enjoy things we really want to be enjoying!

Becky Martinez January 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I think you were beautiful at age 34 and are now at age 40. The biggest difference I see is the glow you now have which shows you now feel beautiful too! You are such an inspiration and an amazing person…thank you!

Tammy January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm

You look great Holly! I love your smile. I am looking forward to feeling the same one day.
Tammy recently posted..Weigh-in and WalkingMy Profile

Karen B. January 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I’m almost 50 and happier and healthier than ever! It just gets better and better as far as I’m concerned. The more I get to know and feel comfortable with myself the better off I am and the happier I am!

Ann January 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Awesome! I turned 40 yesterday. While I am somewhat mourning a youth wasted, I look and feel better than I ever have. I’m ready to take on the 40’s!

Ronda January 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I’m here to tell you that 40 is fabulous! I embraced it like nothing I’ve done before. In fact I ran a 5K on my birthday. It was awesome!
I’m with you…the healthiest I’ve been in my life, so who cares about some arbitrary number that society thinks we should be afraid of!
Ronda recently posted..New Food Friday #3My Profile

Valerie January 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm

You are so pretty, Holly! I think you were beautiful at 34, and you are even more beautiful at 40. By the way, you do not look 40 at all! Not that 40 is old — 40 is young! But you definitely look much younger. 🙂

Lora January 24, 2013 at 12:01 am

Holly you are GORGEOUS in all of the pictures! Love the confidence that is shining from you as you lose weight! So happy for you and inspired by YOU!!

Marc January 24, 2013 at 5:57 am

You do look totally transformed. As in people that do not know you would never know that picture 34 and 40 are the same person. What I like about the “You” in pic 34 is the comfortable way you dress. I mean it looks stylish, but comfortable. As I’m losing weight I still enjoy my fat man clothes, (sweats and oversized t-shirts mostly) which are very comfortable and leisurely. I’m not at the point where I want to wear clothing that fits me properly at the waist, and requires a belt and a tucked in shirt. Maybe as I get closer to goal my attitude will change.
Marc recently posted..MotivationMy Profile

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking January 26, 2013 at 1:05 am

Oh my goodness you look just beautiful!! You are such an inspiration.