Disney World!

December 3, 2012 in Uncategorized

When I started this journey

I made a list of goals

Things I hoped  I would do one day

My Dream List

Here it was:

• Run around with my kids without having to reach for oxygen
  • Clean my house without feeling like I just ran a marathon
  • Walk around Walmart without having to stop at every bench for a break
  • Sit in a booth at a restaurant
  • Sit in a chair with arms
  • Take my kids to Majestic Theatre without worrying that I won’t fit in the seats
  • Enjoy the Riverwalk with my family (tight spaces!)
  • Sleep in my bed at  night and be able to lay down instead of sitting up b/c I can’t breathe
  • Avoid knee surgery b/c the weight is doing damag
  • Avoid full blown diabetes b/c it’s amazing I’m only ‘borderline
  • Avoid other obesity related health problems that are sure to come
  • Be fit at 40 (1 year away!)
  • Go to my kids sports games and activities (hauling chairs across the field, bleachers, etc. make this hard)
  • Take my kids to Six Flags and Disney world and be able to fit in the rides

The 2nd blog post that I ever wrote here

Was that list

And when I say it was a Dream List

I mean it really and truly was

Like some crazy, out of this world, far fetched list that I wrote up

On some off chance miracle it could one day come true

And now I can tell you

16 months later

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE THINGS

Has happened

Because my family and I just got back

FROM DISNEY WORLD!!!!

That was the last item on my list

Probably because I never thought in a million years

It would ever happen

Because in order to go to Disney

You have to be able to fit on a plane

And then you need the strength to walk

Not just walk

But REALLY walk….all day long…

To fit in rides

To walk up the inclines of hills

Disney has marathons

But for me

Just going there was a marathon

Going there

Was literally the most far fetched crazy ridiculous goal I could ever have dreamed up

Because 16 months ago

All I hoped for

Was the possibility of being able to get out of a chair without assistance

Maybe lose enough weight so that I could sleep through the night

Instead of waking up every hour gasping for air

Of course I could fantasize

I could dream

I could hope

That’s what I did when I made up that list

Not a realistic list in my mind

But just a dream list

Because hey….

Anyone can dream, right?

But those are no longer dreams

They are reality

MY DREAM LIFE IS NOW MY REALITY

My brother just got married

And where did they spend their honeymoon?

Disney world with us!

Yes these two honeymooners decided to spend their honeymoon

At Disney with me and my 4 kids

And I have to say

We had the best time ever!!

My brother lost 250 pounds

And I’ve lost close to 200

Almost everywhere we went

We would give each other those ‘knowing’ looks

Like….

“Yep…couldn’t have gotten on that”

OR

“Oh my…that was narrow…we couldn’t have done that before!”

The miracle started

With me getting on a plane

And fitting

When I flew out to see my Nana in June

My brother bought me a first class seat

For the extra space

But this time I flew economy

No extra room

Just ME VS THE SEAT

And wondering…who would win??

I DID!

Shockingly, my buckle even had room to spare!!

With room to spare in the buckle

I started really dreaming big

What if I could take the impossible to the next level

And fit in an airplane bathroom??

Here I am with Charlotte in the hotel getting ready to head to Disney!

We headed to Animal Kingdom first

And went on the Safari Ride

Just look at how narrow that is!  Most definitely something I could never have fit on 196 pounds ago!

At one point we walked past this sign

And this is what we saw

Here’s the bottom right part blown up for you to see

And I’m sure you will notice the statement I did

Just look at that incredulous statement

The way it is written with an exclamation point

More than 400 pounds!!!

I weighed more than 400 Pounds...not that long ago

So reading this really hit straight to the heart

It says they have “heavy bones” to help support that amount of weight

But what about those of us who weigh that

And we DON’T have “heavy bones” to support that weight

We just live in pain

Or like me….fracture your ankle 5 different times

But this reminded me of two things

That the average person can’t even fathom something could weigh 400 pounds

And therefore they write it in this way

Like it’s an unbelievable thing

Like it’s impossible to believe

Like it’s completely unheard of

Exclamation point!!!

But it also reminded me

Of the pain

Because we don’t have some kind of specially made bone to handle that weight

So instead

We just suffer

And suffer

And if you ask me

THAT deserves the biggest exclamation point of all

For those suffering right now under that weight

Because it’s painful to live that way

And I’m so grateful to be finding my way out of that pain

We made our way over to Magic Kingdom

But first we had to get on this bus

Each one of the seats on this bus has a grooved out shape to it.

As if to say….”your butt can be THIS big!”

These are the things I notice!

Here we are standing in front of Magic Kingdom!

(Not sure what happened with my hair in this picture! It was in my face but maybe it’s the wind blown look?)

We stood in front of Magic Kingdom

And there was a show on the stage

But my son couldn’t quite see over the crowd

He never asked me if I could pick him up

Because in his mind

That was never an option before

But I bent down and said

“Would you like me to pick you up?”

His eyes were wide

And he said

“Could you?”

And then I did

The show on stage

The Castle at Magic Kingdom

It was all magical

But my son whispering into my ears

Mama…You’re STRONG

Was far more magical than anything else I saw that day

Tea Cups ride! And boy is that little door narrow or what?? But I made it!!

Please note

That in this teacup

Sit my brother and I

Proudly wearing our Mickey Ears

And having the time of our lives!

Just a few years ago

There is no way either of us would have been sitting there

Combined we have lost close to 450 pounds together

And every one of those pounds

Would have held us back from this ride and all the others

BUT NOT ANYMORE!!!

Everywhere you go

There is food

But I will admit to being surprised at the availability of healthy choices

It isn’t easy to avoid the sweets and sodas that surround you

But it’s not impossible

The entire day we stopped only once for food

At Lunch

I was able to find a meal that included

Ribs and roasted chicken

Here it is

I did not eat the coleslaw or beans as they are both full of sugar

I asked at the window if the ribs had sauce and they said no

The sauce was available at the condiments station

So I scored with that!

Although clearly greasy, both the chicken and ribs were totally safe

I was pretty much ecstatic with that!

Other places we went also were selling roasted turkey legs

And there were several carts with fruit and water

So dodging food bullets at Disney

VICTORY!

We watched the Lion King Show

The kids loved it!

But look at that crowd

How packed it is

How crammed it is

The benches to sit on were narrow and small

Yet something else I would not have been able to do

There were other things I did not get pictures of

But would have been completely impossible

Take, for example, Haunted Mansion

The first thing they do

Is cram you into an elevator

With a huge amount of people

Shoulder to shoulder you stand

No room to spare

Then you make it up to a moving belt

With chairs going by

You have to almost run to get into your chair

As it flies by on the moving belt

Run to get on something quickly?

Have the balance and coordination not to fall while doing so?

Have the strength to not only get yourself on it

But also your child?

FIT IN THE SEAT??

Everywhere I went

I had this experience

Every ride I went on

Was something else I could fit in

Every line I stood in

Was the discovery that I had the strength to handle it

Not that long ago

Standing in place

Was impossible for me

My weight pulling down on me

Made it impossible

But I stood in lines that were 30 minutes long

And I handled it all!!

When you drive into Disney

The big sign says

“Where Dreams Come True”

But I believe my dreams started coming true

Long before I drove through that sign

My magic started the day I got out of that hospital bed

And started walking for 30 seconds

My dream started 16 months ago

When I decided that starting small

Was better than nothing

And I had NO idea

That it was in THAT decision

That the magic really happened

That my dreams really started coming true!

Tomorrow…..Universal!!

Linda Kuil December 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

My parents are in Disney right now. They got there on Saturday. They’ve been going every few years for the last almost 20 years. You really don’t know what you’re missing until you get there! And then to see it all through the eyes of your kids… priceless!
Linda Kuil recently posted..I’ve Got To Keep On Movin’My Profile

Adelyn December 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm

So absolutely wonderful!…the event, the family, your telling of it. Congrats to you AND your family. You all have worked so hard!!
Adelyn recently posted..Land of ShouldMy Profile

Tina December 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Mama, you are strong!!! Such a great NSV!!!! Now you need a new list. What fun!
Tina recently posted..Fitness ArticleMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Tina!!

Karen Sanders December 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I’m pregnant and weepy. I probably shouldn’t have read this in public because I’m all teary now. I am so happy for you!
Karen Sanders recently posted..Christmas Trees and CatsMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Oh thanks Karen!! And congratulations on your pregnancy!! How exciting!!

Mina December 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I am so proud of you! You look absolutely beautiful and radiant! What a wonderful accomplishment!
Mina recently posted..November Family MeetingMy Profile

Jack Sh*t December 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

You put the “magic” in “Magic Kingdom”.

Congrats on your hard-won success.
Jack Sh*t recently posted..If This Doesn’t Inspire You, I Give UpMy Profile

Lady Amanda December 3, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Absolutely loved this post! Loved all of the pictures! Everyone looks soo happy! Sooo happy for you.

Staci December 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Ok, so Princess Kate has that same bangs look now, yanno? 🙂 I love, love, love this post. How funny of you two in the bathroom together! Those things really are small, tho. You are looking gorgeous, deary. 🙂
Staci recently posted..This was a Bad IdeaMy Profile

Jen December 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I agree–this brought tears to my eyes. I love the way you tell your story–how your weight loss is opening up new worlds! Your story SOOOO inspires me to keep going–to make the daily choice to live! I too can’t wait to read your “new” list!:) Thanks!!

Elizabeth December 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I am so so so happy for you!! you are your family are adorable!!

Melissa E. December 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Congratulations on reaching your goals! I just found your blog today and I love seeing your success. It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time at Disney and you look fabulous! Very Inspiring!

Kelly @ Curvy Fit Girl December 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I just want to give you a big hug and tell you that I am so proud of you!!! 🙂
Kelly @ Curvy Fit Girl recently posted..Sleeping "In" on a Sunday.My Profile

Ronda December 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I know I’ve said it before but I just CAN NOT get over how amazing you look. You’re doing so great. I would never look at you and think that you used to weigh more than 400 pounds. It’s all that crossfit you’re doing!
I’m so unbelieveably happy for you and your family. What a great gift to give to yourself and your kids. Memories they will have forever.
Great job on the food choices. I found the same thing in Disney last year. I did fine and didn’t gain any weight.
Ronda recently posted..Ten Things Thursday, A Smidge LateMy Profile

Caron December 3, 2012 at 7:10 pm

“Mama…You’re STRONG” definitely brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you and your new life. I love hearing about the things that you and your kids get to do together that were impossible before. 🙂
Caron recently posted..Moon PopsMy Profile

Amanda December 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

What an amazing victory and trip! I’m so proud of you! Hubby had this exact same experience when we went to Disney this year. You made so many fantastic memories with your kiddos! Bravo!
Amanda recently posted..Don’t Sew A Cape Just YetMy Profile

Tracy aka My Tiny Tank December 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

You are so full of “beautiful.”
You deserve your dream life.
And you made it happen.
You are an inspiration to me.
Keep writing because I’ll keep reading.
My weight-loss surgery journey has been inspired because of ours.
Tracy aka My Tiny Tank recently posted..Winner: November Raffle Blender BottleMy Profile

suzanne December 3, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Just put my make up on for a Christmas dinner and now tears are rolling down my cheeks 🙂

Pam December 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Dreams really do come true! Every part of your journey, I found myself nodding and saying “YES, that happened to me too!” Even the snug elevator. I am just back from NYC (as you know!) and we went on the NBC Studio tour. It was up and down on that elevator and there were two small elevators, and the two guides counted out each time we boarded them–14 people on each elevator to accommodate the 28 of us on the tour. I didn’t sweat it. I knew I didn’t take up the space of two people like I used to. Did you ever find yourself finding the elevator weight maximum sign and figuring up in your head, and worrying that YOU might be the reason that the whole elevator would go crashing to the basement? I did! But no more.
What a wonderful world it is when we don’t shut ourselves off from the joys it has to offer by making bad choices!
Pam recently posted..Once Again, I am in AWE!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 4, 2012 at 7:03 am

I have done the same thing looking at maximum capacity on the elevator. I’m glad you mentioned this. I was just talking with some friends today about how numbers matter at the high range of the scale b/c they become the ‘cutoffs’ for life. You can only weigh ‘this’ much to get on a treadmill or even a scale! You make an excellent point with that! I am so glad to have found you along the way. Your insights and your wisdom are so important I think for those of us on this journey. You have not only lost but maintained and that is a huge accomplishment. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, hope and encouragement to everyone out there who needs it. Every day I am reminded of things you have mentioned and I know that I will get there too one day!!! You are living proof of the great hope that is out there for all of us!

Pam December 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Holly, Thanks for your sweet comment. I’m glad I found you too. I am loving reading about your journey and the joy you feel as you conquer new barriers that held you back for so long. It’s simply glorious, and I identify so much. I told my hubby last night that I have actually maintained the weight loss now longer than it took me to lose the weight. It took me 18 months to lose it and I have now maintained for over 19 months! I am really proud of that, because I never even hit a goal weight before and always always regained weight faster than I lost it.
Pam recently posted..Once Again, I am in AWE!My Profile

joy December 3, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I am so happy for you that you have completed your list that is so wonderful! I guess it is now time to write a whole new list of accomplisments !! Look forward to reading them 🙂
joy recently posted..Monthly Challenge UpdateMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 4, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thanks Joy!! I think you’re right. It’s time to make a new list!

Daphne @ Daphne Alive December 4, 2012 at 5:09 am

Sounds like a fun trip! You look fantastic 😀
Daphne @ Daphne Alive recently posted..Decorating the tree!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 4, 2012 at 7:00 am

Thank you Daphne!

jennxaz December 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I totally teared up with lifting your son up and his wide eyes…I can so relate that is beautiful! I am so happy for you, they truly are tears of joy!

Sara Thornton December 6, 2012 at 2:40 am

I <3 you and appreciate you sooo much. I just got under 280 lbs for the first time in my young adult life __ever__. I can't believe I weigh 279 now!! that is still big but you know that is small compared to what we were at before. I have a first major goal of being 275 by new years and I DID IT. I will have 4 more lbs off by new 12/31/12 at midnight!! And I will lose another 75 lbs OR MORE in 2013 and finally be under 200 lbs for the first time since I was a PRE TEEN. Yes, I have been over 200 lbs since I was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! This is such an amazing journey and I am glad we can do this together, all of us going through the same thing 🙂

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 6, 2012 at 5:10 am

Congratulations Sara!!! You did it!! I am SOOO proud of you and so happy for you. You are making all the right moves, girl!!! I can’t wait to see the awesome things coming your way!

Barbara Gardner Elliff January 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Okay Holly now that you been to Disney World, next year 2014 you need to come run the princess half marathon with Kathy and I. You get to run through the gate that says Where Dreams Come True.

Cat March 23, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Holly you look absolutely fantastic!