When Dreams Come True

November 10, 2012 in Uncategorized

Once Upon A Time

A boy met a girl

They were young and in love

High school sweethearts

College too

But life got in the way

And tragically they were lost to each other

That boy was my brother

I remember her

Beth

I remember her Farrah Fawcett hair

That was the style then

And I wanted to be just like her

So I begged my Mom to let me get my hair cut

Just like Beth

She went with us everywhere

Family Vacations

I was the little sister that they always let tag a long

I remember cramming all my friends into the back of Beth’s pacer

For my 3rd grade birthday party

They took us to the roller rink

The first time I saw E.T. in the movie theatre

Lee and Beth took me

So many memories of Lee and Beth together

It was a love story for the ages

When life pulled them apart

It seemed my brother would never love again

He was still young and in his 20’s

But he told us even then

That was it

He would never marry

Beth was his one true love

I think at times we thought he was crazy

But Lee knew then

What he knows now

There was no replacing Beth

She was quite literally

Irreplaceable

My brother lived his life

Had a thriving career

And grew into a man of strong faith

He trusted in God’s plan for his life

Even when it didn’t always make sense

But not long ago

My brother faced another tragic circumstance

When the doctors told him his life was over

That he had only a few years left to live

At close to 450 pounds with diabetes and congestive heart failure

It was the end of the line

There was no hope

But Lee stepped out in faith

He had weight loss surgery

He began to exercise

And with each step, he regained his life

He became stronger physically

He ran triathlons

And he lost well over 200 pounds

But if that miracle was not enough

There was another one on its way

Because in life many things are impossible

But with God all things are possible

30 years of patience

30 years of trusting God

And now we come to today

A day of miracles

Today I sit in the airport with my children

Waiting to get on a plane

A plane I could not have fit on one year ago

Only today I can

I’m getting on a plane

To fly to my brother’s wedding

Where he will marry the love of his life

Beth

If I could only describe to you

How many different ways

This is impossible

How many different ways

This can’t be happening

And yet

It’s happening

The impossible is happening

Once upon a time

A boy loved a girl

And he waited his entire life to be with her

The miracle is this

That Lee is alive

That he lost over 200 pounds

That his life was saved

That I lost 188 pounds and can fly to his wedding

That Beth is back in our lives

And will soon be a part of our family

Though really

She was all along

Miracles happen

My brother thought his life was hopeless just a few years ago

But today he runs triathlons

And  tomorrow will marry the love of his life

Once he laid hopeless on the couch

Seeing no way out

And today

All his dreams are coming true

Look at the new thing I am going to do.
    It is already happening. Don’t you see it?
I will make a road in the desert
    and rivers in the dry land.

(Isaiah 43:19)

There is hope

For the One who parts the Red Sea

Can part the waters in our life

And make dreams come true

He did it for Lee

He is doing it for me

And He will do it for you

Suzy November 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Lovely! Congratulations to all of you. And I hope Lee and Beth have many, many years of happiness and joy.

Lady Amanda November 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

It is going to be an absolutely fabulous day! I am soo thrilled that you and the kids are going to be able to be a part of it. Am wishing Lee and Beth the best! Am soo thrilled for them. Very exciting! Sending my love to everyone! Can’t wait to see the pictures!

suzanne November 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

How awesome is that!!
Best wishes to Lee and Beth and I have no doubt that the day will be special for you and the children as well.
suzanne recently posted..Definitely not a rest day today!My Profile

Dawn Alexander November 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Oh my goodness. What an awesome post. I don’t even know your brother and I am SOOOO happy for him. How exciting. Pictures woman, pictures!!!

Joanna November 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm

If I could explain the chills I got from reading that… wow is all I can say. That was such an amazing story – one that has left a lump in my throat. It goes to show you the plans of our lives are already set for us.. we just have to trust in them.

Have an amazing time at the wedding!

Linda Kuil November 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Congratulations to Lee and Beth!!! What a love story!!!
Linda Kuil recently posted..Making A List…My Profile

Lori November 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm

What a precious love story. For both your brother and Beth, and the two of you and your bodies.
Lori

Amanda November 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Awww, that is WONDERFUL! I am so happy for all of you!

Margene November 11, 2012 at 3:04 am

That just gave me big goosebumps!! Congrats to Lee and Beth!!! What a truly epic love story. Congrats to YOU, for getting your life back. Life is worth living, Life is worth fighting for! We can change our lives!! I feel so inspired today!!

~Margene
Margene recently posted..Week 3 Back 🙂My Profile

Daphne @ Daphne Alive November 11, 2012 at 3:20 am

Your family is just amazing 🙂 What a beautiful love story!!
Daphne @ Daphne Alive recently posted..Finished c25k! Yahoo!!My Profile

Heather November 11, 2012 at 3:26 am

Best wishes to your brother and his new bride. What a love story! We all have that one true love that no one can ever replace, no matter where we end up in life. I’m so happy that Lee held out for Beth because obviously there would never be another love like that. Enjoy your day and I hope that you’ll share photos.

Susan LaPooh November 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Please tell me you are writing a book. Your posts are SOOOOOOO very inspirational. I am so blessed to have found your blog! And I hope that you had a wonderful time at the wedding. Congratulations and blessings to the happy couple.

Karin November 12, 2012 at 5:28 am

Goosebumps and tears…hope it was FANTASTIC to witness.

Lisa M November 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Love it

Joyce November 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm

It is SO hard to trust God when your life is pointed in the opposite direction of where you deeply desire to be going, but this is it in a nut shell. He knows the desires of our hearts and cares for us. I LOVE that quote from Isaiah. Maybe I’ll post it on FB today.

Blessings to you, your family, your brother and his new bride 🙂

Amanda November 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

What a beautiful story. Congratulations to your brother!
Amanda recently posted..Be EmpoweredMy Profile

Ronda November 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Chills! This is a wonderful story. I can’t wait to hear all about the wedding, and hopefully see some pics!

Pam November 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm

What a wonderful love story. My youngest son has a similar story but without his “happy ending” YET! I say YET, because he made it his goal this summer and fall to lose weight and “get a girlfriend.” I applaud his goal, because for the last 5 years, he has been living with a broken heart. His girlfriend of 3 years broke up with him abruptly back then, and he has really never healed.
Just a sideline to this story. When they were dating, they both got somewhat pudgy. Son has fought his weight somewhat successfully since he was a boy, but when they started dating, they both loved to eat, and eat they did, which resulted in weight gains for both of them. So then they decided to diet. Both of them lost weight and looked fabulous. And then she broke up with him. Today, she is married and works at the same place as my oldest son. He told us she has put on a lot of weight. I have this fantasy (evil as it is) for my son and I to walk up to her and say, “NA NA, see what you missed out on!” We would NEVER do that, but it’s fun to think about. Right now youngest son is lighter than he has been since he was in 8th grade (he’s 26 now). He once again looks fantastic, skinnier even than he got when he and she dieted together. What did Ivana Trump say after her divorce (in that commercial for hair coloring I believe)? “Looking GOOD is the best revenge.” YOU, Holly, WILL SOMEDAY HAVE THAT REVENGE on ‘you know who’ too. At least in your heart. And sometimes that is all you need.
Evil Pam
Pam recently posted..So much to do….so little time!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m so sorry your son had to go through that heartbreak!! I know that it is very tough for him. I hope that he finds everything he wants in life and it sounds like he has already tackled many of the food demons that keep us down. SO that is half the battle!

Sara Thornton November 13, 2012 at 1:06 am

*pats eyes dry* Thanks Holly, as always you are amazing with words and story. Your story and your brothers story are all so very touching and give me hope every day. I’m getting myself back on track thanks to our email correspondence and I’ve started my very own blog per your suggestion. I did not like the idea at first but I dwelled on it over the weekend and thought perhaps it may be a great idea. Thank you. Thank you for everything!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

Thanks Sara for your kind words. You made my day!I am SOOO proud of how you are taking control of your situation and making things happen. You’ve done great so far at overcoming the obstacles in your path and I have NO doubt that you will keep progressing forward. You will attain all your goals!!

Sheila November 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm

How amazing and wonderful. I don’t know you or your brother (or Beth for that matter) but this post just made me smile and smile.
Sheila recently posted..Surprising DayMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks Sheila!

Nikki Mohamed November 14, 2012 at 1:22 am

Congratulations to the new addition to your family. How awesome for you that you are able to attend your brother’s wedding. The kids must be super excited. Love all around.
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..What Gives People?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks Nikki!! It is awesome that I was able to make it here. It would never have happened last summer for me to fit on that plane!! I hope you are doing well and your boys too!

Tully November 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm

This post has made my day! From everything you have said about your brother on your blog I can see that he is a wonderful person who deserves to be happy. There is nothing better than seeing your family happy so I can only imagine how much this must mean to you.

I hope we get to some a few pictures of the special day. Have fun!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thank you so much Tully!!! I really appreciate that!

Dagny November 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Fantastic story! Something I’ve learned in life is that you can’t be daunted if it seems like something might take YEARS. You can still keep working at it. I was not successful with lifestyle changes to improve my health and weight until my 40s. I don’t waste time regretting that I didn’t get it done sooner.
Dagny recently posted..The Two Sides of the Weight IssueMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

Great point Dagny! I just turned 40 this past summer and have had the same experience. Like you said we can’t look at how long it will take but rather view the step in front of us and just keep chipping away!

Dagny November 17, 2012 at 5:37 pm

You’re only guaranteed to fail when you give up. If you keep working at something, even if it takes a LOOOOOONG time, eventually you’ll get it to happen!
Dagny recently posted..Experiences that Drive ChangeMy Profile

Tracy December 10, 2012 at 3:35 am

There was a girl who everyone loved to hang out with-
She was funny, popular in high school, and loved who she was on the inside and out-
She had always been big, but now she was bigger than big she was huge-
She had always lived her life to the fullest, worked two jobs, was always on the go-
She go depressed layed in the bed for 3 years straight, gained over 70 lbs in a year-
She couldn’t move without giving out of breath, she let her looks go, backed away from all her friends, wishing life was over-
She was hoping 2012 would be a rebirth for her, it was-
She gained back control over her life, got out of the bed, moved more, ate less, lost 80lbs since February-
She had a lot of heartache in 2012: lost her job, on unemployment, found a job making no money, her father got sick, he passed away in August 2012-but she knew he was proud of her for the weight loss he got to see before he left to go home-
She finally got it together, found a great job (her Dad would be so proud), going back to school-
I know this girl, because she it me!
Thanks for your blog – so inspirational – I found you through Kenlie’s blog @alltheweigh.com
I am a follower for sure now!!
Tracy from Alabama
starting weight 2/2012 -409lbs
weight to date 12/9/12 -322lbs and more to go!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down December 10, 2012 at 3:45 am

Tracy!!!! This is BEAUTIFUL! Truly truly beautiful. What a story of hope. I am so happy for you. I’m very sorry for your loss but I know, like you said, your father is proud! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with me and everyone who reads this your inspirational story of hope. Do you have a blog? If so I’m coming to read it!! YAHOO!!