The Enemy never takes a Vacation

November 16, 2012 in Uncategorized

My brother woke up on his wedding day

With plenty of things on his mind for that day

Plenty of things to coordinate

Plenty of things to get done

Don’t you think THAT would be a great excuse

To not work out?

I mean come on…

You’re getting married at 11 am!!

If there was EVER an excuse in the history of the world to skip a workout

Isn’t that it??

But Lee knows this

The Enemy never takes a vacation

Not even on your wedding day

In fact

It could just be

That is exactly when

The enemy will strike

Because he wants to steal your happiness

He wants to steal your joy (John 10:10)

And what better way

Than when your guard is down?

You miss one workout

And you won’t lose all the progress you’ve made physically

But what if the battle

Is not in the body

But in the mind?

There are times we tell ourselves

I’ll skip my workout today

Because I’m too busy

Or you say

Just this once

And that should be ok, right?

But for those that battle the internal demons

You’ve just created a mental landslide

Without even knowing it

You’ve taken out that one critical piece that was holding it all together

Like mental Jenga

And you  just pulled the piece that is going to make it all come crashing down

Because consistency is the glue that is holding it all together

It’s the same with food

Once I allow myself permission to go outside the lines

To take ‘just one bite

One turns into two

And two turns into the whole cake

Skipping out of a workout

Taking just one bite of the forbidden food

It shouldn’t be that big of a deal

It shouldn’t be life altering

It shouldn’t be the crumbling of the universe

And yet for me

It almost always is

Because my mind is a Jenga game

And whether I like it or not

That workout that I had planned to get up for

But gave myself permission to skip

That bite of a brownie

That is on my “never eat this again” list

But I rationalized “just one bite”

Those are the exact moments that I can pinpoint

As the beginning of the end

The slow slip back into food-insanity

My brother has already lost 250 pounds

And runs Triathlons

But he has reminded me

That he is still fighting for his life

He still must stand guard

Because it’s waiting

Right there

Right around the corner

To take you down

The dark forces that play with our head

The rationalizations

The “just one bite” and “just this time

The “I’m on vacation” and “But I’m tired...”

The “It’s a special occasion

Or “I deserve it...”

Those are all steps we take

On the stairway back to hell

It’s the Jenga piece you pull

That makes it all come tumbling down

For those of us that have to fight the treacherous mental battle

There is no vacation

Because the enemy doesn’t cease fire

Just because it’s a holiday

The misery we have all lived through

The obsessive thoughts the food brings

Is not something any of us want to go back to

Yet even in our highest levels of freedom

We are one step away

From the binge

The enemy has no conscience

He has no compassion

He doesn’t care that it’s your birthday

Or Christmas

Or Thanksgiving

Or even the wedding you have waited for your entire life

If anything he relishes in those moments

Where you let your guard down

When you are happy and carefree

Because he revels in the opportunity

To steal it all away

And he will come for you

Make no mistake

At any time

And any hour

So when my brother sent out an email to the wedding guests

Inviting them to a pre-wedding bootcamp

I was hardly surprised

BootCamp and sunrise on the beach! Bring sneakers and workout clothes and join us for an awesome bootcamp the morning of the wedding at sunrise (approx 6:45am). The bootcamp is designed specifically for ALL LEVELS OF FITNESS and will be a joyful experience to remember to start the day!

When we woke up, the weather on the beach

Was not conducive to a beach workout

Yet another great excuse to let it go, right?

But did we?

We just went to the driveway and carried on

We had bootcamp at 6:40

And they were married at 11 am

The next morning?

Bootcamp

The day after that?

Bootcamp!

Did I mention my new sister in law is a personal trainer?

We are on vacation right now

My brother just got married

And for all practical purposes

We “deserve” to just “let it go”

Right?

Yes I’m on vacation

But these are the facts

I may take a vacation from work

I may take a vacation from housecleaning

But one thing I can never afford to take a vacation from

Is monitoring the mental and physical battle for my life

Because the Dark One never takes a day off from messing with my head

And Brownies never take a day off from calling my name

And the couch never takes a vacation from sucking me in

So neither can I

Neither can Lee

Not if we want to win the war

Lee and Beth had a cupcake tower at their wedding

And they snapped a great picture of Beth taking a bite

But not Lee

Not ONE bite

Not even at his wedding

Because the enemy sleeps for no one

Especially not for those of us

Who have specific food triggers

Sugar sensitivity

Food Addiction

If Lee isn’t going to take one bite at his own wedding

Then neither am I

Because I have finally learned

It’s just not worth it

But you know what is?

Living our dreams

It’s hard to say that living my dream

Means no to cupcakes

And yes to Bootcamp

But sometimes to get where you want to go

You have to fight

Even if you’re on vacation

Even on your wedding day

And that’s what we all are

You and me

Fighters

So fight on!!

Because even when you’re laying on the beach

Or it’s your wedding day

You must remember

That the enemy never takes a day off

The war wages on

We must remember

This is a battle for our lives

Just take a look around

At how obesity kills

And you’ll see

This is the battle of a lifetime

And in a life or death battle

You can’t afford a vacation

You can either pick up your sword and fight

Or leave the gate unlocked and let the enemy win

Today the enemy did not win

But tomorrow

The enemy returns for battle

And we will meet him again

There on the battlefield

There at  Beth’s boot camp

To fight for our dreams

And win!

Adelyn November 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

So awesome! What a wonderful way to start a marriage…supporting each other surrounded by supporting others who also support you. THAT is the way we should do marriage.

You and your kids look so great!!
Adelyn recently posted..Looking AheadMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Adelyn!

Linda Kuil November 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Where was the wedding? It’s a beautiful location!
Linda Kuil recently posted..Sick As A DogMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Linda,
The wedding was in Jacksonville, Florida (Ponte Vedra Beach actually). It is so gorgeous here!! Although it’s been a bit chilly the last few days the actual wedding day the sun broke out and the entire day was beautiful! I think it was just in the cards for that to be the perfect day!!

Karen P November 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Awesome post holiday. So glad that your family all supports each other. Loved the boot camps. And the staying on track no matter what. Smart way to reach your goals. Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.
Karen P recently posted..Photo update- 9 Months maintainingMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Thanks Karen!!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Awesome job! I need to follow your example on vacation where weights are concerned. I can’t count how many times we’ve brought resistance bands only to have them sitting in the same spot when we leave. We’re REALLY active on vacation but I’d like to keep up the muscle tone. I wish I’d had it together when we got married, an early morning workout would’ve been awesome.
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh recently posted..Fitness injury halfway houseMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You are right that having an active vacation also is a great way to incorporate exercise!! Thanks Anele!

annamarie November 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm

What a fantastic post and a wonderful day to start a wedding. Congratulations to your brother and sister-in-law. You are looking wonderful and also your children.

With so much support you are destine to conquer the battle.

with many blessings,
annamarie recently posted..Day 266 So appreciativeMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thank you Annamarie!

Beariatric November 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

All I can say is “WOW” about this post. It is really the BEST WLS post I have read in quite some time. Thank you for sharing this.
Beariatric recently posted..National Eating Healthy DayMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thank you Tom! Coming from you that is a compliment of the highest order!! Your blog inspires, educates and encourages so many!!

Amanda November 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

You’re amazing! SO much willpower and dedication!
Amanda recently posted..Too Old For Breaking DawnMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Well my willpower is not that great!! lol…but with a lot of prayer and “one foot in front of the other” as my brother says we will all get there!!!

Lady Amanda November 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Loved all of the pictures. Am soo glad that the weather was awesome and everything turned out perfect. Sooo happy that you and the kids had the opportunity to go down and be a part of everything. Congrats to Lee and Beth!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Amanda!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..The Enemy never takes a VacationMy Profile

Lisa November 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm

God Bless You Holly! I love your blog!
Lisa

Lori November 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm

What a timely post since most people are trying to figure out how to work in a few extra treats on Thanksgiving, which will become a landslide through the end of the year.
Lori

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 9:10 pm

So true Lori!! These are dangerous times!! 🙂

Sarah November 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I love this!!!
Sarah recently posted..Happy DanceMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Sarah!

Dawn November 17, 2012 at 1:15 am

GREAT post! And so true! Good for all of you. Enjoy your vacation!
Dawn
Dawn recently posted..Day 26 of 30, Silliness and Clue #2My Profile

Leigh Costa November 17, 2012 at 3:53 am

So awesome! I can’t add to that. The post speaks for itself:)
Leigh Costa recently posted..The post where I let a man (not my husband) touch meMy Profile

Sara November 17, 2012 at 3:53 am

You know what, I’m not afraid to say it. I love you, Holly! I truly believe He set us on the path to be able to cross and acquaint with each other. I’m so happy to have come across your blog. You put things into perspective so clearly, to where it makes sense and I check myself every time I read something like this. I’m constantly in a swirl of excuses, this one last time, but I deserve it. I don’t know why I do it but I do it all. the. time. I need to break that cycle. Today, I had a red velvet cupcake because Jacob bought some from the bakery. I should be okay with people having it around me and me saying NO.

Nikki Mohamed November 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Your brother ROCKS! What a great, inspirational and dedicated way to celebrate his union!

I’m inspired.
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..For Updates on GazaMy Profile

Christine November 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

It is so true, and there are differenct kinds of enemies, they are always looking for that crack to sneak in to and try to take over. Good for you and Lee for not taking a break. And how fortunate to have a personal trainer in the family. Great looking couple and you and the kids look great, looks like you are really enjoying yourselfs :).
Christine recently posted..day sixteen – stellar dayMy Profile

suzanne November 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

What a wonderful way to celebrate an amazing day with the people you love!
suzanne recently posted..Have you checked your smoke detectors??My Profile

Dagny November 17, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’m sure you know I will agree!! Food is not the lurking monster, it’s that PERMISSION we give ourselves. It’s how we rationalize things out to fit what we want to do. We think we’re in control; we think we’ve struck a bargain with ourselves and we’ll stick to it but it’s an illusion. It crumbles and we’re back OUT of control again.

The amazing thing is that doing what you know you should—accepting what needs to be done—ultimately makes you feel SO MUCH BETTER. In the moment you may feel deprived or too tired but the better experiences start to add up and eventually, they win out.
Dagny recently posted..Experiences that Drive ChangeMy Profile

Daphne @ Daphne Alive November 18, 2012 at 4:50 am

What a great idea! Having a bootcamp before the ceremony and then every day afterwards! Sounds like a great way to get the family together too 🙂
Daphne @ Daphne Alive recently posted..Recognizing excuses is the first stepMy Profile

Amanda November 20, 2012 at 12:02 am

Thanks, this really says what I have been unable to put into words. Thank you! And congrats, for making the hard choices, and facing the demons every day! Congrats to you (for killing the bootcamp!) and your brother (on the marriage and the hard choices made)!!!

thelma767 November 20, 2012 at 6:52 am

Thanks for sharing… You look Amazing… Great job!!!

low carb diets are they right for you
thelma767 recently posted..Low Carb Diets – Are They Right For YouMy Profile

ednakettle November 21, 2012 at 2:54 am

Hi there! I just want you to know that you really have a great post today…thank you so much for sharing this with us! Superb!
low carb diets are they right for you
ednakettle recently posted..Low Carb Diets – Are They Right For YouMy Profile

Lu November 21, 2012 at 3:16 am

Wow!!! I love this post! I am inspired my your journey! I love that you are staying so faithful! Bravo, bravo! I too have struggled through many years of weight battles. Keep up the great work! Great post!
Lu recently posted..Goal WeightMy Profile

Pam November 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Sounds like a glorious vacation and wedding! Congrats to Lee & Beth. I wish them many years of happiness. They waited so long and now deserve all the joy that life has to offer them.
I was on vacation last week too. A vacation made possible by my weight loss. I was inducted as the newest member of the Joy Fit Club on The Today Show last Monday. What a thrill that was! And as much as the weight loss made it possible for me to go to NYC, the weight loss made it possible for me to SEE NYC. We walked all over the city, well at least Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Broadway and Central Park. We walked from Battery Park up to the 9/11 Memorial. We walked and walked and walked. I never could have done that at 328 lbs. NEVER! Of course the Joy Fit Club wouldn’t have given me a trip to NYC, if I still weighed 328 lbs. either. But I didn’t use the trip as an excuse to eat anything I wanted, since I was “on vacation.” I had salads with grilled chicken and tilapia dinners (grilled of course). I had one piece of New York pizza just because I’d heard so much about it. But just ONE piece! We bought fruit from the street vendors instead of the fattening fast food most of them were selling. I drank lots of water, and when I came home I had gained 2 lbs. But yesterday one of those pounds was already gone again. There are no days off, no relaxation, it is our battle every day for the rest of our lives. But, I can tell you, getting do things like this trip to NYC, it is SO WORTH EVERY BIT OF EFFORT we put into it!!! GO HOLLY GO!!!
Pam recently posted..I "Heart’ NYC (Days 1 and 2)My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Woo hoo Pam!! Congratulations on being in the Joy Fit Club. That is SOOOOOO awesome. Is there a clip somewhere of you on the show. Dying to see it!!! I am SOOO excited and happy for you. This is just amazing and awesome!

Pam November 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Oh Holly–I’m glad you asked! Here’s the link to the clip. It was truly the experience of my entire life!!! Everyone was so nice!!
Pam recently posted..I "Heart’ NYC (Days 1 and 2)My Profile

Crystal @ Serving Joyfully January 5, 2013 at 3:58 am

This is so true for me as well! When i was working out, I wouldn’t let myself miss 2 days in a row no matter what because I knew it’d be over. I did it at least 6 days a week…and I was right, it only took one slip up to plummet me back over the edge where I am now 🙁
Crystal @ Serving Joyfully recently posted..Moments of LucidityMy Profile