Crossfit after 3.5 months

November 3, 2012 in Uncategorized

So I started out with 30 seconds of walking in July 2011

And exactly one year later

I ended up at Crossfit 925

With Coach Diana Tyler

When I was walking to my next door neighbor’s mailbox

And hoping I didn’t have a heart attack on the way back

I never dreamed in one year from that moment

I’d be working out in a Crossfit Box!

The body is capable of doing amazing things

If you are willing to take that first small step

And then do it again tomorrow

And the next day

Adding in a little bit at a time each day

But here is the thing

Life gets busy

Life gets in the way

Of your workout plan

IF YOU LET IT

Because once I started working out at Crossfit

I had a whole new set of issues to deal with

Crossfit is not as close as Planet Fitness

Which is literally a few blocks from my house

Crossfit is across town

30 minutes away

In morning traffic

So I have to factor those things into the plan

I don’t go there for the location

I go there for the people

Because trust me

Once you are surrounded with that kind of encouragement and support

You’ll have a hard time NOT going back

I love the fact that everyone there “gets it”

They understand that we aren’t just fighting a physical battle

We’re fighting on the battlefield of our minds

Every single day

Our battle is not just in the physical realm (Ephesians 6:12)

We fight our own personal demons

Our own mental and emotional wars

Playing out inside our heads

Every day that we say no to the food

And yes to working out

It’s war

And Diana gets that

Because she’s lived out her own struggles as well

As a single Mom of 4 kids

Things happen

I can’t always get there to workout

Sometimes my job becomes overwhelming

Or the kids are sick

Or life just gets in the way

So Diana will text me a WOD (workout of the day)

That I can do at home

This is the best part of Crossfit

Some WODs you can do with no equipment at all

Others you can do with very basic things like a dumb bell or kettlebell

I’ve invested in a few things for the house

And whenever I can’t make it to Crossfit

Diana sends me something to do at home

Here are a few of the things she has sent me to do

Sometimes I will write it on my own little white board

And send it to her!!

Often times the kids will do the WOD with me

Or a version of it

That’s the beauty of Crossfit

They really believe in the philosophy of scaling and modifying

To fit your needs

To fit the level you’re at for that moment

I love being able to do Crossfit at home

So I know that no matter what happens

I will get my workout in

And check off the victory box!!

Diana has been by far

One of the greatest ‘finds’ of my journey

She encourages me when I’m down

And she helps me stay on track

In spite of my busy schedule

She is giving me the tools I need

To get the job done

Even from home

I only made it there 2 days this week

And last week wasn’t much better

Yet I still worked out every single day

Using the workouts she sent me!

Of course if I can get there

I prefer it

Because it’s there where I get the encouragement and support

From the other people who are fighting this battle as well

It hasn’t been easy

But it’s been worth it

I’ve started jogging

And it’s slow

But I recently discovered that slow is ok

Because it’s always faster than the pace I was going

While laying on the couch not moving at all

I was smiling for this  picture

But I wasn’t happy

Because I thought there was no hope for me at all

But then I learned

That I could start small

And go from there

Slow is always better than not moving at all

I was losing weight before

But I wasn’t getting stronger

I know that adding in weight lifting

Has made a difference that can only be expressed

With a list of things I can now do

That I could NOT do a mere 3.5 months ago

1. Pick up and Carry my children in my arms (Thanks to the Crossfit “Clean”)

2. Piggyback rides  (Thanks Back Squats)

3. Pick up  a 40 lb bag of dog food or a monstrous load of laundry! ( Deadlift!)

4. Lift and carry a giant case of water at Sam’s Club

5. Squat down to get something under the sink, tie my child’s shoe, put a bandaid on their knee, bend down to pick something up (Squats, squats and more squats!)

6. Get up off the floor without a major struggle (Thanks Burpees!)

7. Walk up and down stairs EASILY  (Thanks Lunges!)

8. Get out of the tub!!! (Yes this takes arm strength!)

9. Step up on a chair to change a lightbulb (Coordination and balance!)

10. Pull heavy items down from shelves in the garage (like holiday decorations)

11. Pick heavy items up to put them back up on a shelf in the garage (Crossfit Snatch)

12. Haul heavy bags (full of old clothes I no longer fit into) and throw them in the trunk for transport to Goodwill!!   ( Farmers Carry)

13. Not tripping over my cat when she runs between my legs thanks to my newfound balance (Thanks to our warm up exercise of the Grapevine!)

13. Play hopscoth, jump rope, and leap frog with my kids (Box Jumps/Jump Rope)

14. Open a jar of pickles without assistance!!

Getting stronger makes life INFINITELY better

I feel more confident in my abilities

To handle life as it comes

Knowing I can pick up my children if they fall

Knowing I can pick up MYSELF if I fall !!

My kids actually think I’m some kind of a superhero now

Because last year I could not get out of a chair without assistance

And now I can carry 40 pound bags of dog food in the house!

Here are two pictures of me wearing the same blouse and sweater

They fit me differently since I’ve been going to Crossfit

Can you see a difference?

My Interview with Crossfit Radio

Follow my Crossfit Coach Diana Tyler on Twitter

Follow my Crossfit Box , Crossfit 925,  on Twitter

Follow my brother (Former 400 pounds to Triathlete) on Twitter

Deb November 3, 2012 at 7:20 am

Hi Holly. Thanks for stopping by my blog tonight. You are doing so well! I need to get back to the gym and strength training again- I felt so good when I was doing it regularly. It really does make a difference!
Deb recently posted..Thursday Day 384My Profile

Tina November 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

You are da bomb! Because of you I am going to check for a Crossfit in my new town!
Tina recently posted..Giveaway…My Profile

Sheila November 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

WOW! I see a big difference in your photos…just 3 months…WOW!!! (How many pounds also in that 3 months…it looks like 20 or more?) You are doing so great that is wonderful that you can also workout at home. Huge bonus on days when you just can’t get there.
Sheila recently posted..Surprising DayMy Profile

Lori November 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I can really see the difference. I’m so happy for you. Keep it up! it is hard, but you can do it.
Lori

Nikki Mohamed November 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

BIG difference! You rock the Casbah!

Keep up the good work.
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..NaNoWriMoMy Profile

Lady Amanda November 3, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Love all of the pictures. AND I really love the red blouse you are wearing in the picture of you and Charlottle standing in your Old Jeans – it looks soooo pretty on you. ‘You look soo good in red. Love it!

Staci November 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I also meant to comment on that red blouse. She looks gorgeous in it! That pic is awesome anyway, for many reasons. 🙂
Staci recently posted..Day 12…My Profile

Dagny November 4, 2012 at 2:14 am

You make a very CRITICAL point, Holly! Get started any way you can and then JUST KEEP GOING! I have told people to use a GymBoss timer and if they can only make progress in seconds, that’s OK, just keep doing it!

I start some of my clients with the kettlebell swing! It’s such an awesome combo of strength and core work and cardio that’s practically equivalent to running with no pounding on joints. I do high volume swings, usually at least 300 each day with 25lbs, alternating hands.

I follow classic Russian kettlebell style; I know Crossfit has some of its own kettlebell variations.
LIVE POWERFULLY!!
Dagny recently posted..Releasing the Weight of ShameMy Profile

Staci November 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm

How far apart were those pics taken? I can tell a difference, even in your face! For starters, I can see the “bottom roll” isn’t noticeably hanging down in the 2nd pic. I *hate* that part of my body with a passion. LOL Yay for you! Hips are smaller, arms are small, not having to tilt head back to decrease double chin. ha! YOU LOOK AWESOME!
Staci recently posted..Day 12…My Profile

Caron November 5, 2012 at 2:17 am

I can most definitely see a difference in the two pictures. I have to tell you how much I LOVE the two pictures showing you running and lifting. You are becoming quite the athlete. And working out with your kids is priceless. Keep up the great work. 🙂
Caron recently posted..Odds and EndsMy Profile

Melissa November 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

First, you look AMAZING!
Second, this was such an inspiration for me….I needed to hear that someone else could do it because I’m a crying frustration level where my weight isn’t moving and I don’t want to fail!
Thanks for sharing your journey!

Courtney November 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Love the side by side photos! Strength training is hard but so worth it for the way it transforms the body. I’m so glad you found a program that works for you!
Courtney recently posted..Beautiful, Glorious DrywallMy Profile

Linda Kuil November 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

The difference is REMARKABLE!!!
Linda Kuil recently posted..WaitingMy Profile

Angela November 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Wow! What a difference! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now. You should be so very proud of what you’ve accomplished and excited about what is ahead of you and your family! Congratulations and good luck to you!

Bonita Gordita November 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm

You look fabulous! Love the pictures. Keep up the great work!
Bonita Gordita recently posted..Weigh In: 280.My Profile

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking November 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm

You are sch an inspiration!! I agree you should really be proud of yourself because you have been so blessed to have accomplished so much!! Congratulations.

Anna Banana November 7, 2012 at 3:19 am

You look awesome Holly! And it’s not just the physical…the confidence you have gained is so obvious. You are beautiful inside and out. Keep it up girl! Love, Anna (Amanda’s sis)

Enyonam November 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

The difference is absolutely amazing! You’ve done so well Holly. Keep it up! You are an inspiration to us all. 🙂
Enyonam recently posted..Elliptical Fixed & Back on Track!My Profile

Fee November 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Wow you look great! You are truly an inspiration!!

Michele November 26, 2012 at 2:17 am

I so loved reading this post. There’s something magical about CrossFit, isn’t there? It’s about so much more than the physical aspect. The gains of physical strength almost pale in comparison to the emotional benefits of CrossFit. It’s amazing, and you’ve got that CrossFit glow!!!

Tammy Herrin November 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by my site, it gave me a chance to find your blog. Wow. You are inspiring! What a huge difference 3 months made in those pictures! I’ve got a pretty good handle on the food part of my diet but I’m lacking in the workout department. Looking forward to getting some ideas from your posts!
Tammy Herrin recently posted..Friend Makin’ Mondays: Dear SantaMy Profile

Alisha April 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I love to see your updates. My starting weight was 340, and I’ve lost 141 pounds. Finally just got into onderland!! 🙂 I’m starting crossfit workouts at home, there is no local crossfit gym in my area, but I got me a tractor tire, weights and determination to get fit! Thanks for the motivation with your blog!