A Year of “Firsts”

November 7, 2012 in Uncategorized

My life over the past year and a half

Has been like a rebirth

Full of so many “firsts”

Things I couldn’t do

That I now can do

Experiences that were off limits to me

That are now in reach

First pair of shoes in years now that my feet can fit!!

Untitled

First time tying my own shoes without help!

tie shoes
First time fitting on a wooden chair without fear of breaking it!

Untitled

First time being able to get the MRI I needed now that I can fit in the MRI machine!!

No more referrals to the zoo!

Untitled

First time fitting on the bench at school instead of having to get a chair brought in!

literacy

First time fitting on a stool!

hollyonstool

First time CJ can play baseball now that I can physically handle the long walk across the baseball field!!

Untitled

First trip to the mall in years!!

I can now physically handle walking in the mall!!

Untitled

First time fitting in a rocking chair !!

Untitled

First time fitting in a row (and only taking up one seat!)

002

Finally fitting in a chair with arms!

It’s tight but I’m in!!

Untitled

First time fitting at a table with attached bench !!

The kind you cannot scoot out for more room!

016

First time in the pool in many years!!!

035

Untitled

Amanda comes to visit and it’s the first time I’m physically able to walk around downtown San Antonio (even though I have lived here for 6 years!)

059

First time being able to walk down a flight of stairs in many years (Not having to take elevator)

Amanda and I went to the Hard Rock Cafe in Downtown San Antonio.

I’m finally able to enjoy the Riverwalk!!!!!

068

First time being able to ride the riverboat in Downtown San Antonio since I moved here in 2005.

I FINALLY FIT!

072

First time ever taking my kids to their school’s spring festival.  I can finally handle it physically!!!

014

First time I am ever able to go on a field trip with one of my children!!!

Untitled

First time being able to fit through one of these turnstyles without having to use the handicapped gate.

This was a REALLY big deal to me.  I have lived in horror of these things for many long years

Untitled

First trip to the eye doctor in 3 years now that I can fit in the chair again.

I don’t have great vision so this was a hardship for me to not be able to get a new prescription for years

My glasses were chipped as well for several years before I could get a new pair

Untitled

Fitting in a photo booth for first time in many years!!

Untitled

First time being able to fit in a hairdresser’s chair to get my hair done in 3 years.

Prior to this, I had a hairdresser who would allow me to come in before/after hours where I could sit on a bench they would pull over from the the waiting area. I had to use two smocks. It was very embarrassing for me to do this so I appreciated his sensitivity.  Unfortunately, he moved away and so my hair just continued to grow and I would just cut my bangs.

No one there to take a picture of me in the chair but this is it.  And I fit!!

hairdresserchair;

First time fitting in a regular stall instead of handicapped stall!!  The kids and I had a party in that bathroom celebrating!

Untitled

I can finally fit between two tightly parked cars!!

No more waiting for someone to move their car before I can get back in !!!

This is truly a huge blessing in life! And I still LOVE that I don’t have to worry about getting in and out of the car in parking lots!

Untitled

First time ever going to the IMAX theatre on the Riverwalk now that I can fit in the seats.

My 1st Field Trip with Charlotte ever in her life!!

Untitled

First time fitting in a booth !!!!

Untitled

First time fitting on an airplane in over 10 years!!!

Untitled

First trip to the dentist in 5 years now that I can fit in the chair!!

First time being able to fit on a recumbent bike

Untitled

First time making the weight limit for treadmill and elliptical

First day at Crossfit

First time being able to cross my legs in years and years and years!!

First time being able to take my kids to the park and FIT on the slide!!!

First time buying a pair of jeans off the rack in Old Navy.

It’s amazing to me that I can walk into stores and find clothes that fit me!

No more special ordering off the internet!

Our lives are full of many “firsts”

But I have to admit that I never thought I’d experience so many new things at age 40

Of course they aren’t “new”

These are all things I could once do easily without a second thought

Things I took for granted

Things I never even could have dreamed would one day be out of my reach

Like flying on a plane

Or fitting in a chair

It never even occurred to me that there would come a day I would not be able to fit in any shoe

That I would have to wear flip flops year round for many years in a row

Or that I would have to use handicapped stalls and handicapped entrances/exits to fit

Or that I would not even have the strength to walk upstairs

Or the strength to take a shower without a specially made bariatric size shower chair

When you lose your ability to do things that you took for granted

Regaining them makes these tasks suddenly seem miraculous

Every single day of my life is a miracle now

My brother is getting married this weekend

And I’m going to the wedding

Something that would have been a total impossibility one year ago

Once again my weight would have made what should be a happy occasion

A total nightmare for me

And even if I had gone, I would have spent every second miserable

Unable to fit anywhere

Unable to be comfortable

Unable to find appropriate clothing

Every single bit of joy drained from the whole experience

But now it’s a new day

Every single day that I am alive is now full of excitement

While it is very sad and regretful that I lost so many years being virtually disabled

I will admit that it’s made the ordinary things in life

Extraordinary !!!!

Every single day is now a dream come true

And now everywhere I go

I see those like me

And while it breaks my heart

I now can say

THERE IS HOPE!

We don’t have to live this way

My ship was sinking

And I needed to be rescued

But today I am alive

Every day I wake up to new mercies and new grace

And new miracles!

Dare I even guess….what tomorrow will bring!

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.—-Marcus Aurelius

Lamentations 3:22-23

The Lord’s love never ends;
       his mercies never stop.
  They are new every morning

Lady Amanda November 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Love all of the pictures! Wish I was there right now to hang out with you. Love this blog- very exciting. Can’t wait to see all of the pictures from the wedding!

Daphne @ Daphne Alive November 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

You’re so inspiring! I really really wish I had thought to take pictures or record some of my “firsts” like you had. I find myself forgetting some of them and I NEVER want to lose the happiness and gratitude that comes with weight loss. Thank you for this post 🙂
Daphne @ Daphne Alive recently posted..Busy work life means eating out moreMy Profile

Elizabeth November 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love this!!!!! So glad you captured all of those moments!!! 🙂
Elizabeth recently posted..Halloween Picture Post!My Profile

Deb November 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

These are great! I’ve only been following your blog a few days but I am so proud of you!
Deb recently posted..Tuesday Day 389 Food DiaryMy Profile

Faith November 7, 2012 at 10:39 pm

So very very proud of you! By the way, the Old Navy jeans photo is stunning. 🙂

Jane T. November 8, 2012 at 12:41 am

Love your writing! You are gifted and inspiring..thanks for sharing all these special moments.

suzanne November 8, 2012 at 2:19 am

I am just so glad that you’ve taken us along on your journey. I am so proud of you!!
suzanne recently posted..Coffee, haircut and cleaningMy Profile

Linda Sherwood November 8, 2012 at 2:55 am

I love this post! Congratulations on all of your firsts, and I hope there are many more!
Linda Sherwood recently posted..Teenagers and CondomsMy Profile

Gilly November 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Fantastic!! Congratulations on an amazing year, and more to come!
Gilly recently posted..I Want To Be ZenMy Profile

Fee November 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Congrats! I am so happy for you and your kids!!

Lisa November 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Holly – you do know that you don’t look anywhere near 40 years old, yes? So, you see you didn’t lose any years at all. In fact, you can just say that you turned 30 because that’s how old you look! I am so happy for you and you remind me that I can get my own weight off of me, little by little. I am getting married again in 14 months and I would like to be about 30 lbs. thinner – pray for me will you? Because of my thyroid condition and menopause and my fractured foot (!) it sometimes seems insurmountable. But then I read your blog and realize, 30 seconds, yes, I can do that!
God Bless You and your beautiful children-
Lisa

kris November 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

you truly are an inspiration! you’re children’s hearts must be bursting with joy with each “new” thing you do with them! your dedication to getting healthy is amazing!

Nikki Mohamed November 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I feel truly blessed that I get to witness these “firsts” with you. I love you, Holly. And as soon as I get back to Texas, and make my way anywhere near the San Antonio area, I’m gonna find you and hug you.

(Of course, I mean that in a totally NON-Stalker sort of way….no, really.)
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..It’s a Good DayMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 9, 2012 at 2:58 am

hahhaa I love this Nikki!!!!! And I love hearing about all your adventures as well. Your perspective is always awesome. I hope you do end up here!!

Tiffani November 9, 2012 at 12:34 am

You are amazing. I teared up reading your cite. I know God had me find this for a reason.

Joyce November 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I have been gaining weight and there are periods in my day that I feel like there is a monster inside of me screming that it MUST have SUGARRR! So this morning when I got up I Googled something to that affect and found your blog. Wow. Youare on an amazing journey and thank you so much for sharing it with us. For encouraging others. You are a gift from God.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 10, 2012 at 3:17 am

Thank you Joyce!!! I want you to know that you are not alone in being stalked by the sugar monster! You will break free!! So glad you took the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it!!

Karin November 10, 2012 at 6:51 am

So excited for you-I am waiting for the day I have to move the seat in the car forward. I already am not hitting the steering wheel with my tummy!

Amanda November 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm

So many wonderful firsts!
Amanda recently posted..Be EmpoweredMy Profile

EmDub @ Faster in Water November 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Congratulations to you on your NSVs! and a big congratulations to your brother and his bride! Wow, it seems his life has done and complete 180 as well! What an inspirational family!
EmDub @ Faster in Water recently posted..In a groove, not a rutMy Profile

Pam November 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Oh Holly–what a wonderful blog. Even today, almost 19 months after hitting my goal weight, I still marvel at every thing I can do. I never want to get over that feeling of discovery, of joy, of disbelief everytime I find myself able to fit somewhere or do something that I couldn’t do when I weighed 328 lbs. I am leaving Sunday to appear on the Joy Fit Club segment of the Today Show. It is a dream come true. A trip to NYC is something I had dreamed about for years, but knew I would not be able to do it. I couldn’t walk. I could fit in the airplane seat, but just barely and always had to ask for a seatbelt extender. This time….my first time flying since my weight loss…no seatbelt extender. I’m never going to take any of this for granted either. This return to a normal world is very very special and all of us who lost that simple normalcy can appreciate that. This time of year is a good time for appreciation and thanksgiving. I am thankful that I changed my life and got it back by losing over half of me. I will never ever ever take that for granted!
Pam recently posted..So much to do….so little time!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:40 am

I totally agree. Thanksgiving is definitely going to mean a lot to me this year! So much for us all to be thankful for breaking free from the prisons of our bodies! I am so excited about you appearing on the Joy Fit Club!! I hope you will post a link. I would love to see it.

Dagny November 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Every one of these experiences is what keeps you going. Each becomes an “investment” in the new life you’re building and you realize you want to keep it all! Slowly, this changes the game. It causes a shift in your priorities. Those choices that were tough to make at the beginning, become easier.

Each of these firsts also take you further away from your former life. They shape your new life. Maintaining a weight loss is more difficult for some people than losing it. A dramatically different new life will be the key to that critical total lifestyle change! Keep those firsts going!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

Thanks Dagny!!

Jill November 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Holly,
First time poster, long time reader. This entry just spoke to my heart… I get all these “firsts”, and more to come. I’m happy for you, and can’t wait, for me to experience some of them, too! 🙂

Congrats on a phenominal year and new beginning!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

I can’t wait for you to experience everything and more Jill!! I know you will!

Laura November 16, 2012 at 6:10 am

I’ve been following your blog for a few months, now. I just wanted to tell you I’m so happy for you, for your children & for your brother & his wife-to-be. You are living proof of what happens by having faith, working hard, believing in God & Love. I wish you nothing but the best & will continue reading about all of your successes.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down November 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

Thank you so much Laura!!

adorkbl November 21, 2012 at 3:04 am

<3 <3 <3 this post. Soooo awesome to look back at all those first. What a journey. 🙂
adorkbl recently posted..hello my prettyMy Profile

Birgit November 26, 2012 at 8:48 am

Awesome! It´s the little things during your weight loss journey, the things you can do again, that are worth so much more than numbers on a scale and so much more motivating. For me it was my first jump in years and the moment when the bath towel fit all around me again…
Birgit recently posted..Weight loss Tuesday: Three reasons for binge eatingMy Profile

Melanie Anne Ackerman May 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Thank you for this tonight. I have been feeling hopeless about my weight loss this past week. I am just so tired of feeling and looking ugly. Your website has made me smile. Thank you.

Kellie September 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Thank you for writing this blog. Your words here are so inspiring! Normally, when I see these things, I would bawl like a baby. Because I know and I understand. This is the first time that I have not bawled… but instead felt so excited and encouraged. You go girl!

I started my journey a month ago. I am determined to lose the weight and get down to a healthy weight. Can’t wait until I can go through my own list of firsts!

~Kellie