Plodding to Victory

October 31, 2012 in Uncategorized

Halloween was very different this year

Every year my kids want to carve pumpkins

But here is the problem

Pumpkins are heavy

If you buy a pumpkin

You have to be able to pick it up

And get it in the cart

And if you have 4 kids

You need 4 pumpkins

Which you not only have to get in the cart

But in the house

Even if I could manage to do this

I would not be able to handle carving one

Believe it or not

It does take some strength and energy to accomplish this

You have to have the strength in your arms to cut the top out

Scoop the insides out

Not to mention sitting down at the table

During the pumpkin carving!

This time last year I could not sit at the table

I have not been able to sit down at my table in YEARS

I broke ALL of the chairs that came with our table

ALL OF THEM

Slowly over the years

Until there were none left

So I ordered two benches

Thinking maybe they would be sturdier

They weren’t

Finally I just stopped sitting at the table

I would make dinner for my children

But I would eat from the recliner

No longer able to even sit with my family at dinner time

Relegated to the recliner

Alone

But now I can fit at the table

I can sit down and eat with my family like anyone else

And you know what else I can do now?

Buy pumpkins!!

Big heavy pumpkins that I can lift up and put in the cart

All by myself!

Thanks to all the deadlifts I’ve been doing at Crossfit

I can now lift pumpkins !

I can stand up for as long as I need to

Cutting the top of the pumpkin

And scooping out the insides

I have all the strength I need to get this done

And just like that

We are creating memories!!

In the past I was not able to take my kids Trick or Treating

I could not physically handle the walking involved

But not this year!!!

I am now able to go with my kids

As far as they want!

My kids have always wanted me to dress up for Halloween

But I could never fit

In any costume

Even the plus size costumes

Were not big enough

When my Crossfit Coach mentioned that we should wear costumes

To our workout

I knew exactly what Savannah and I would do!!

The Tortoise and the Hare

The other day I wrote a blog about this

How the Tortoise has become my inspiration!!

The Tortoise has become my hero!

Here we are at Crossfit this morning

Here is the board that shows what we did at Crossfit today.

As you can see, she listed us as Holly the Tortoise and Savannah the Hare !!

I kind of loved this

I love that I get to do silly and fun things with my daughter now

I love that I was able to walk into Target yesterday on the fly

And pick up a green sweatsuit right off the rack for my costume

I could never have found something so easily before

Everything had to be special ordered

And I never would have done something like this in the past

I felt constantly self conscious about my weight

The last thing I would want to do is draw more attention to myself

By wearing a costume!

In some ways I wish I had done it anyway

Because regardless of our size, we all deserve to enjoy our life !

And here are a few more pictures we made

Here is my Tortoise Shell !

Remember the Hare thought he won the race

So he QUIT

He stopped moving

And took a nap!

But the Tortoise never quit

The Tortoise was slow

So slow the Hare might not even have realized

The Tortoise was moving!

But the Tortoise kept plodding along

Slowly but surely

Until the race was won!!

This year more than ever

I see the wisdom of the Tortoise

Because all I’ve done

For 15 months

Is plod along

Slowly

And now I’ve got the strength

To lift pumpkins

Walk the neighborhood with my kids

And sit at the table with my family when I want to

It doesn’t matter how fast you go

Or even if you come in last

All that matters

Is that you keep going

No matter how slow

Be the Tortoise!!

And plod on to victory!

Steelers6 November 1, 2012 at 4:02 am

Hee, looks like lots of fun! Kids look cute,
cute hare, & such a cute Cookie Monster
costume!

Your tortoise is great! Love the sayings
on the shell. (Ha, the shell made me smile.)

Wow, I love hearing about what you have
changed, where you’ve come from. I
never thought about it that you probably
could not trick or treat with the kids. Or
do pumpkins. Or eat at the table!!

Great photos.
Chrissy

Staci November 1, 2012 at 4:44 am

🙂
Staci recently posted..Day 10…My Profile

Elizabeth November 1, 2012 at 10:42 am

Looked like lots of fun! 🙂 Glad you could make extra special memories this year! 🙂
Elizabeth recently posted..My Construction Worker, Circus Performer Cheerleader, and Ballerina Princess all decked out 🙂My Profile

Becky Hill November 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I love that you are teaching Savannah how to be strong and happy in your own body. I know it’s important for your other kids as well; but body image is so crucial for girls. To know that you are strong…wow, what a great gift.

Ginny November 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Holly! I love this! You look so beautiful and radiant and full of life and light. I love to see the joy all around you! So proud of you and your accomplishments. You are such an inspiration to me (and so many others).

Lady Amanda November 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Love it! Love all of the pictures! Especially love the picture of you at the table with the crew getting ready to carve a pumpkin. I love the headband on your head- because it shows off your gorgeous face. Kids look adorable and I love their choice of costumes. Sooo cute! The last pic of the race is sooo awesome. Love it!

Dawnya November 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm

This is a great post. It is so true and so accurate. Just keep on keeping on and this will get done. I needed this inspiration from you today. Thanks for continuing to share your story of hope.

Margene November 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Cute pics! I love it!! Be the Tortoise! You are a FAB tortoise!! Way to go to champion your foes by just plodding along. Booya!!

~Margene
Margene recently posted..Happy Hallo’s and Week 2 BackMy Profile

Lori November 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Your family is precious. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

I am the tortoise for sure!
Lori

Dagny November 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

It’s hard to believe there could have been a time in your life when you had a very real fear of CHAIRS. I remember practically going into a full-blown anxiety attack when I would enter a room and see nothing but small chairs with arms. Or when I’d have somewhere to go and suddenly be faced with a tall flight of stairs. I would drive EVERYWHERE, even to the corner of my street. Like you, today I can stand as long as I need to or walk as far as I want. Seven years out, I still don’t take any of it for granted!
~ Sharing Light & Strength
Dagny recently posted..In Life and with Weight: Accepting the Tough WorkMy Profile

Adelyn November 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm

LOVE IT!!!
Adelyn recently posted..I am Different NowMy Profile

Lisa November 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Great post Holly! I can really identify with the tortoise also. My weight loss seems GLACIAL… I have @ 40 lbs. more to go and I keep telling myself it will get faster once my foot heals and I’m able to start walking again. In the meantime I eat my meals and try not to deviate from my ‘plan’. Being menopausal is hard enough and then trying to lose 40 lbs. on top of it is like trying to swing in a cement swing!
You look beautiful as always!
Lisa

Nikki Nicholas Mohamed November 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Happy Halloween. Loved the photos. It’s all the little things that are so huge in life. I’m so glad you’re getting to experience them with your kids again and savoring each step of the way. <3
Nikki Nicholas Mohamed recently posted..Emotional Leg WarmersMy Profile

suzanne November 1, 2012 at 6:56 pm

You and Savannah look so much alike!! So cute, both of you 🙂
I had tears as I read this but with a smile on my face.
suzanne recently posted..Halloween and Chinese buffet!My Profile

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I love how you find the strength to keep plodding from your children. They are so precious and worth fighting for. And in every single photo, you can see how proud you are of them and how proud they are of you too.
Sarah recently posted..Hold the front page!My Profile

Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock November 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Yay! You made me sniffle and giggle. 🙂
Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock recently posted..2 Easy Low Calorie Thanksgiving SidesMy Profile

Donna November 2, 2012 at 3:43 am

What a great post! Kids and you are just beautiful, love seeing the fun your family is having. You are an inspiration Holly, keep it coming.

Tina November 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Great post! I am striving to be the tortoise! Thanks for your continued inspiration. I love that Savannah works out with you!
Tina recently posted..Falling in love!My Profile

16blessingsmom November 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Holly, you are so beautiful. I read this post with a huge smile on my face, but tears streaming too. Tears of joy, tears of acknowledging how much you have suffered. Tears of happiness that you have overcome so much, and that you can enjoy your kids, your life. Your kids are adorable too!

Christine November 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Go tortiose go! But the hare is so adorable I have to root for her too :).
Christine recently posted..day one of fitbit step challengeMy Profile

Pam November 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Love all the pictures, but that last one is just precious! Your daughters are gorgeous and your son is so cute. Not only are you once again making memories by participating in holidays AND life with your kids, they are learning nothing is impossible. They are learning you CAN change. They are learning great eating and exercise habits from you.
I would tell you ‘Happy Halloween’ Holly, but it’s a couple days late and anyhow, it looks like you all had the BEST Halloween ever!!

EmDub @ Faster in Water November 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Love the costumes! I think the cookie monster is my favorite too. Much better than a full costume. Keep plodding along Holly you’re doing great!
EmDub @ Faster in Water recently posted..A Lazy Food WeekMy Profile

adorkbl November 6, 2012 at 1:45 am

<3 this. great photos. your children are beautiful and amazing. they are full of compassion and love. love the tortoise & the hair at crossfit. 🙂
adorkbl recently posted..allergies, band tightness, & bad ass bootsMy Profile