Crossfit Update (Plus Pictures)

September 26, 2012 in Uncategorized

So it’s been about two months since I started at Crossfit 925

With Coach Diana Tyler  (Some pics of her below)

I’ve had my ups and downs

But overall it’s been one of the best experiences of my life

My daughter, Savannah, goes with me

Here is a conversation we had last month

I said to her

“I’m having such a hard time doing pushups.  I need to find an exercise that will strengthen that part of my arms so I can do pushups easier”

To which she replied…

“I know the perfect exercise for that, Mom.  It’s called more pushups

Yeah I’d say that pretty much covers it!!

This morning I decided to start doing the #plankaday on twitter

The idea is that you do a plank

And then post your time

Planks are HARD!!

All I could manage was 17 seconds

I thought to myself

I need to do something else to make me better at planks

This was my post on twitter

This was one of the replies I got

“Yes it is hard. And no that didn’t suck for your first time. You did it. That’s always a success”

And doesn’t it seem like I continue to forget this concept??

I immediately think in my mind if I can’t do it perfectly the first time

Then clearly I suck!

When in fact I just had a success

Because I tried

So what if it was 17 seconds?

Tomorrow it might be 18!

Anything above zero is progress

No matter if you’re on day one of this journey or day 365

The concept is the same

Start somewhere

Do it again

Do it some more

Keep doing it

You’ll get better

For some reason, my brain always wants to say

You’re not good at this so stop

Go do something else and then come back when you’re better

But how am I going to come back better

If I quit??

Don’t expect my brain to give you logic

When it’s busy giving lies!!

Because the reality is I can’t get better if I give up

I’m only going to get better

If I’m continuing to try

Because progress is not made in a day

It’s made over time

And the best way to get better at push ups

Is to do more pushups

Just like the way I got to  5 miles

Was by adding 30 seconds every day until I  got there

I may have started out at 30 seconds of walking

But now I’m going to Crossfit

And I  got there one step at a time

Now that I”m there I can keep going

Keep working harder

Keep progressing

It’s a challenge

But it’s worth it

Here are some pictures over the past two months

Just in case you all wondered what it’s like in a Crossfit Box!!

The truth is this

The pictures don’t have sound

But if they did

You would hear voices of encouragement in the background

Saying “You can do it!!”

That is what makes Crossfit so awesome

The support of a great Coach and the people who go there

That really don’t care if you’re 200 pounds heavier than them

Source: google.com via Holly on Pinterest

You compete against yourself

And every day you get stronger

Like Savannah said

The best way to get better at  pushups

Is to do more pushups!!

And the only way to do that

Is to keep going

Not give up

Never quit

And if you do….

Then UNquit from quitting!

I’ve done that already a thousand times

But that’s ok too

You fall…you get back up

And that’s what I’m doing

The best part about this

Is that I’m doing something with my kids now that I never thought I’d do

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY!!

I used to bond with my kids by buying them treats and renting a movie

That used to be our together time

Now we go for walks

Play frisbee

Throw the baseball

Go to the park

And I go to Crossfit with my 16 year old daughter

How insane is that?!!

That used to be my dream

That I could be one of those people

One of those Moms

And now I am

And the beauty of it

Is that I did it by starting with just 30 seconds

Who knew 30 seconds could be so powerful??

Pics of me and Savannah at Crossfit

h

My daughter, Savannah, doing box jumps

The dreaded pushups! (Savannah on the other side )

This was a partner WOD.  My partner rocked.  And I did the best I could.  I hung in there and I survived.

Crossfit 925

Paula Kiger September 27, 2012 at 2:15 am

Great job! Hang in there with the planks. I used to not be able to do a side plank AT ALL. But I kept trying and eventually ….. there it was!!! So glad to have you along for the #plankaday planktastickness!!!
Paula Kiger recently posted..Add Your Bone To The MillionMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 2:21 am

Thanks so much!!! We’ve done side planks at Crossfit and oh…my…goodness!!!! That is all I can say! But I will keep at it! Thaks for creating this great motivational tool!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 27, 2012 at 3:05 am

You, dear, are a ROCKSTAR! What a great example you are!
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh recently posted..School of LifeMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:42 am

Thanks Anele!! You are an example to ME!!

Staci September 27, 2012 at 3:10 am

Pardon me, Ms. I’m Down 180 Pounds. Didn’t you get where you are today by logging in 30 seconds of exercise on day one? You just remember that, Missy, when you think 17 seconds of something harder than walking in place for 30 seconds is a “man I suck” moment! LOL
Staci recently posted..A Little ListMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

TOUCHE!!!!!! Love you Staci!

susana September 27, 2012 at 3:30 am

I love your blog! You are such a motivation for me when I get those lies in my mind. Thanks!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

Thanks Susana. Those lies get to me too. We have to beat them right out of there!!! They really work me over sometimes but I know if we keep fighting the lies we will prevail!

Gi September 27, 2012 at 4:43 am

Glad to see that you are doing so well with cross fit Holly 🙂
Your daughter is so pretty, she looks so much like you.
xx
Gi recently posted..10 Things Thursday my loveliesMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thank you Gi!!!!

joy September 27, 2012 at 6:10 am

Wow good for the two of you this has been something I would like to try in the future. It is also one of the hardest workouts there is! Congrats to the two of you! I can’t believe how much weight your daughter is lifting!! Amazing! Keep up the good work ladies 🙂
joy recently posted..Weekly UpdateMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks Joy!! If you try it please let me know how it goes! I would love to hear any experiences you have with it (or anything else of course!!) I will be cheering you on. It’s one of the scariest things I’ve ever done but still one of the best!

joy October 3, 2012 at 6:20 am

Yes I will for sure let you know… Keep you posted 🙂
joy recently posted..ChallengesMy Profile

Nikki Mohamed September 27, 2012 at 7:20 am

Savannah is so pretty. She looks just like you! 😉
I’ve obviously been out of the country for a lot
longer than I thought. I had to Google ” plank”
It’s not just a board that pirates have you walk
off of when they don’t like you anymore…apparently.
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..Doh!! I’m Really Not That CleverMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thanks Nikki!! I think Savannah is pretty too..of course I’m biased!! And the pirate walking the plank…This made me laugh out loud that the kids wanted to know what I was laughing at!!! Sometimes I do feel like I’m being told to ‘walk the plank’ when something at Crossfit looks outrageously hard. It feels that way!! Like maybe i’d rather walk the plank than do it!! lol Hmm…I’m kind of feeling a ‘walk the plank’ post coming up inspired by you!

Linda Kuil September 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

GREAT JOB! Remember, we all have to start somewhere!!!!!!!!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

You’re right! I need to put this on a magnet and read it every day!!

Linda Kuil September 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

And that was 17.7 seconds, which is really 18!!!!
Linda Kuil recently posted..Another Busy WeekMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

Round up!! I love it!!

Kaitlyn September 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

Planks ARE really difficult! I can managed about 20 seconds. So 17 is damn impressive for the first go.

It is weird isn’t it, that we so often think we should be good at something right away. when people tell me I’m a talented artist or a really good writer and then add, “I’m not good at that sort of thing.” I always tell them: You could be. You have to start somewhere.
Kaitlyn recently posted..Cultivating wisdomMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

You’re so right Kaitlyn!! I love your response of “You could be!!” I think we all have so much potential inside of us never discovered b/c we allow ourselves to believe that we can’t do something before we even try!

annamarie September 27, 2012 at 11:50 am

First I must say is that your daughter is beautiful and she is the spitting image of you, just gorgeous. Second I can’t even begin to express how impressed of how far you have come and can see how much farther you are going. Thank you so much for sharing your journey because it just fills me with such motivation and you inspire me so much.
Also too I had to look up what a plank is and all I can say is WOW, for me just getting on the floor is exercise.
Keep up the fantastic job
May you have a wonderful and blessed day.
annamarie recently posted..Day 213 Afraid to moveMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thank you Annamarie!! The plank is so hard and to be honest my coach corrected my form yesterday and I realized that I was not doing it the right way! If done the right way I could hold it more like 4 seconds instead of 17!!! It is really tough but i hope I will get better with each day! And I know what you mean about getting on the floor being exercise. I could not get on the floor for YEARS. I was unable to get up again. When I started working out, my brother gave me a workout plan and one of the exercises was getting on the floor and getting up again. That was seriously one of the components of my workout. Get on floor/Get back up and do it 3 times. It was to this day one of the hardest things I had to do!! It was just as hard for me to do that then as it is for me to do Crossfit now. Same exact intensity!!!!

Amanda September 27, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I can’t wait to try crossfit! You and Bethann have been so inspiring and they’ve been playing those darn crossfit games on espn all the time. I just wish it weren’t so expensive!
Amanda recently posted..No Change Without ChallengeMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Which one is Bethann again? I probably read her blog and I’m just blanking out!! I know you would kick butt at Crossfit!! You are right it can be a little pricey although I got lucky that my Crossfit box is super reasonable. And the ESPN games are just crazy awesome!! Been watching them too.

Amanda September 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

You are looking amazing! What an inspiration you are. I recently joined my local Curves because a (super-fit) friend of mine works there, and I’ve been having a great time watching my body tighten up. Last night I did the bootcamp for the first time, and I woke up this morning feeling like someone kicked my ass! And I was thinking that maybe I should hold off on the bootcamp until I get a little stronger. But after reading this, I know the only way I’ll get better is to keep at it.

Thank you. 🙂
Amanda recently posted..that time I went to Europe: part one – BarelonaMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 29, 2012 at 2:40 am

Amanda that is awesome!! I know exactly how you feel. This week was for some reason one of the worst weeks I’ve ever had for soreness. I think it’s because I stepped up my Crossfit attendance. Of course this means I am doing more work and now my body is screaming at me for it! One of my Crossfit friends told me we would have a hard time shampooing our hair. I laughed at the time. She wasn’t kidding! There was a part of me that wanted to take off like 3 days until my arms stopped being sore but like you said this is what actually is making us stronger so we have to press on!! I hope you share more about the bootcamp. I would love to hear about it!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Crossfit Update (Plus Pictures)My Profile

Jenn September 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Wow, that is awesome! What a great example you’re setting for your daughter – I love that she does it with you! You look so strong!!!
Jenn recently posted..The Digest Diet – If The Jeans FitMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Jenn!!

Wendie September 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You said it perfectly! That is exactly what goes on in my head too and I need to take the plunge and stop believing the lies. Thank you for your inspiration.
Wendie recently posted..ObsessedMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Wendie!! I’m trying to get my brain straightened out too!! Say no to the lies!!

Courtney September 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I don’t know if you can see/feel the difference from two months ago, but I can see how crossfit is helping to tone and firm you! Do you take monthly pictures or do measurements? I always find those encouraging, especially when the scale hasn’t moved much, but I can see I’ve gotten smaller.
Courtney recently posted..I Know Its Fall When:My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Thank you Courtney!!! I actually don’t take measurements. When I first started out losing weight there was not a tape measure big enough to fit around me so I just never took them. I probably could now and I probably should! Especially when the scale is being rude to me!! lol Awesome suggestion!

Sheila September 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm

You are so inspiring Holly!!! I’m in a total exercise rut (treadmill running/walking, curves and weights) and you actually make exercise look like fun. How cool that your daughter can go with you (wow on her box jumping!) and WTG on hanging in there. Most people do not have the courage to walk into a gym and start working out wherever they are at in their fitness level. GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Sheila recently posted..Thrift Store HaulMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thanks Sheila!! I think going that first time is the biggest hurdle. I find that both Planet Fitness and Crossfit (while being two totally different kinds of places) are both super accepting!! Of course I’m partial now to Crossfit b/c the level of encouragement and support there is just off the charts. But whatever we choose to do, walking in the door is probably the hardest thing!! You mentioned good things about Curves and I’ve heard a lot of people love that. One day I need to check it out!

Fiona Carter September 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous, amazing, but most importantly HAPPY! What an inspiration you are to the rest of us fatties! I’m doing it – I start Crossfit next week. If I can willingly pay $120/month for cable, there is no reason I can’t come up with that money for my health!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

OH MY GOSH!!! I am SO excited!! Please email me if you want and let me know how it goes!! 300poundsdown@gmail.com I would love to hear about your experience. I can’t believe you said this about the cable b/c I literally just said the same thing to myself when I had the pipes replaced. I had this huge expense and I was thinking that I may have to quit Crossfit. Then I said to myself..wait…you’re going to keep cable but quit Crossfit?? NO WAY!! If something has to go it’s cable NOT crossfit!! Isn’t it amazing when we reach that mindshift where we really are putting our workout/fitness regimen above our tv schedule! WOW Fiona! I am so excited and inspired by this and can’t wait to find out how it goes!!

Dionne September 30, 2012 at 1:51 am

I have a hard time with push-ups…so not my favorite. Yes, hang in there with the planks. I always feel good when I do a plank. I feel so strong. BTW, I still do push-ups on my knees. It is so awesome that your daughter and you go to Crossfit. You are an inspiration to anyone know matter what size they are…as you know, it is about health and feeling good. Blessings to you!
Dionne recently posted..What are you grasping?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down September 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Thanks Dionne! I do push ups on my knees too. You are right. This is about our health and that is what we have to remember!

Andrea October 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I had this same revelation today. I am down 100lbs (RNY 12/11) and started Crossfit last week (LOVE IT!) As I was pulling into my driveway, coming home from the gym, I realized that I am now able to run 1/4 mile. It used to be that I couldn’t even run 1/10 of a mile, or really…at all for that matter! I’m actually making progress because I’m doing it. Congratulations to you! I hope you’ll check out my blog sometime too!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down October 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Congratulations Andrea on your awesome weight loss (standing ovation!!) and starting Crossfit!!! How awesome and exciting! I am super excited on your advances with running as I am trying to get going with this myself. Not running so much as jogging but it’s been a tough challenge for me. I am so excited to hear of your progress. That gives me hope!! And I will definitely go check out your blog right now!

silver account October 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

hey i love this post! i’m a goal-setter also. currently, my goal is to reach the “500 club” – meaning if you add the weights on my one rep max for: back squat, bench press and dead lift – you get to 500 lbs. right now i’m stuck at 487, which is 185 squat, 115 bench and 187 dead lift. i love having something to work on! good luck – i can’t do kipping pullups to save my life! i need more practice.
silver account recently posted..No last blog posts to return.My Profile