Keep at it!

August 13, 2012 in Uncategorized

There are some days

Where the workout is just harder than it was the day before

I feel like I can’t keep going

That I’m going to quit

Sometimes I have to take a break

Go get some water

Take a few minutes to catch my breath

But I am learning that taking a break

Modifying the workout

Is always better

Than not doing it at all!

Just because you can’t do what the person next to you is doing

Doesn’t mean you won’t be able to one day!

And it doesn’t devalue what you are able to do right now

I can’t do a normal sit up

STILL

I’ve been on this path now for 13 months

And I still can’t really do an unmodified sit up

When everyone else is going all the way back to the floor and up again

I am doing the modified version

I lean back as far as I can

And then pull myself back up

I’m not supposed to go back so far that I can’t get myself back up again

The idea is that I go as far back as I am able to

While still being able to control the movement

Sometimes I feel silly

Because it looks like I’m not even doing anything!

Or it might look like I’m in a zombie trance!!

But either way you cut it–I feel like I look ridiculous

And my mind tells me I am accomplishing nothing

But trust me—the next day I can feel it!

The other day I had to hold this weight over my head

While squatting

If there is anything I hate more than the elliptical

It’s probably squats!

There is this box behind me

And I’m supposed to squat down until I can feel the box

Until I’m almost sitting on it

The problem is

I have yet to feel the box!

I was SO frustrated the other day

Because I was determined to squat far enough

That I would touch the box

BUT NO

I never could do it

At one point, I turned around to see if the box was even really there

Because it felt to me like I was doing the best I could

Squatting as far as I was able to

And yet I still wasn’t reaching the box!

UUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!

That is how I felt!

One thing I’m figuring out though

Is that just because you couldn’t do something on Monday

Doesn’t mean you won’t be able to on Friday

13 months ago, I could not get out of a chair without assistance

I had to sleep in an oversized recliner because I could no longer sleep in the bed

I could not even wear tennis shoes because of my feet being swollen

And now I’m doing so much more than I ever thought I could do!

I have not been able to jump in years

My feet have felt nailed to the ground

And when I first started my new workout routine at Crossfit

I was totally unable to jump rope

My feet would NOT

And I mean NOT

Leave the ground AT ALL

And I truly believed they never would again

But the other day she brought the jumprope  out again!

UUUUUUUGHHHH!!!!  I thought

Not this again

But lo and behold

I DID IT!!

I know you can’t really tell

But I promise you

My feet left the ground!

They BARELY left the ground

But they DID

Far enough that the rope was able to pass underneath

And not only did I do it ONCE

I did it SEVEN TIMES IN A ROW!

SEVEN TIMES

But literally 3 weeks ago

I could not do it AT ALL

It amazes me how the body

Will refuse to do something one day

And then suddenly be able to do it a week later!

Or maybe a month

Or a year

But the point is that eventually with time and persistence

Your body will get on board!

So no matter what your hardest thing might be

Maybe it’s just getting out of the chair

Walking down the driveway and back

Just keep going for it

Because eventually you’ll find

That your feet WILL leave the ground

And I know that one of these days

When I’m squatting

I will feel that box behind me

I will get far enough down that I finally touch it

Maybe not this week

Maybe not even next week

But eventually I will get there

And instead of screaming

UGGGGHHHHH!

I’ll be screaming

YEAAAHH!!!!!

Trish August 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm

That is awesome holly!! I can completely relate to the feet being nailed to the ground. Tried jumping jacks…JUMPING JACKS!! Feet refused to cooperate.
Trish recently posted..Week 5 Video UpdateMy Profile

LJCBF August 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

Amanda August 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm

You should be so proud of yourself and your accomplishments. 🙂 Do you work out every day?
Amanda recently posted..we had an adventure, and now I need a puppy to loveMy Profile

joy August 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

You are doing so great!! You will reach your goals!! You’ve got what it takes!!

Keep up the great work and stay focused!!

amy August 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Yes you will progress but do not beat your self up.
Even at 185 pound and working out consistently for a year I couldn’t do a full sit up, still can’t. It takes and exact combination fo muslce firing that I can’t figure out. I have the strength. I can almost do it if my trainer puts his feet near mine.

Nikki Mohamed August 14, 2012 at 1:17 am

I’ve found that full sit-ups actually cause me serious lower back pain. Instead, I prefer to do the crunches and I think that my abs actually feel the burn MORE by doing full crunches, 2-part crunches and obliques than I EVER felt it while doing full sit-ups. ….. Just sayin’……
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..Alphabet SoupMy Profile

Linda Kuil August 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm

You are doing fabulous! Focus on what you CAN do and not what you can’t do! That list is growing by leaps and bounds every day!!!

Sweet Addy August 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm

This is an astounding post. You and your jump rope are such an inspiration!
Sweet Addy recently posted..How many jumping jacks?My Profile

Amanda August 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Yes, yes, yes! I tell myself this while running or doing my assisted pull ups. Eventually I will do a pull up without assistance! Eventually I will run a 5k without walking even once. The day will come if I just keep pushing on!
Amanda recently posted..Friday Letters 8-10-12My Profile

Lady Amanda August 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

That is soo awesome about the jump-rope. I can already see the difference in your work out pictures and can tell you have lost more weight. Am soooo proud of you!

Liz August 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Thank you so much, I really needed something like this. Yesterday I was ready to give up, throw in the towel, say I quit. This morning I forced myself to go to spin class. And every minute felt like an hour. My legs did NOT want to cooperate. I have no idea how many times I wanted to just get up and leave. But I didn’t, and I feel so much better than I would have if I had walked out or not gone at all.
Liz recently posted..(Wo)Man in the MirrorMy Profile

Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock August 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I just had a similar moment during my workout on Saturday. I’ve been jumping all week trying to touch a beam in my house as part of my Insanity workout. On the last day of this workout series, I jumped and touched the beam, not once, not twice, but four times! I was so excited, proud, happy… you name it, I was it! Nothing better than those small achievements that feel like you’re never going to do.

Congrats on your win!

BTW… my belly gets in the way of my doing tons of exercises, too. We will get to the point we can do every exercise like everyone else! It just takes time. 😉
Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock recently posted..450 Calorie Lunch Week – Day 5My Profile

Patrick August 13, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Perseverance is a potent drug and we all need to become addicted to it. NSVs do not happen without it; and NSVs make the world a better place!
Patrick recently posted..Weigh-In WootMy Profile

Rae Rae J August 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Love it, and you look so great!
Rae Rae J recently posted..Weigh-In 8/13/2012My Profile

Mark August 13, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I saw this link from Diana and had to read it. Way to keep after it and keep going. Like you, I have trouble with some of the CrossFit Exercises (16 months in and cannot do an unassisted pull-up and can’t hardly do any weight with overhead squats because I lack the flexibility to do it) — but I’m amazed at where I’m at now — not because I can do more than anyone else, or because I compare myself to anyone else. But because I compare myself to where I USED to be. Changes continue. PR’s are coming by the bunches. Good job. Way to go. Thanks for the encouragement. I always say that I’m a THIEF because I steal inspiration anywhere I can get it. YOU should consider that you just got pick-pocketed. : )

Holly from 300 Pounds Down August 13, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Mark,
Thank you so much!!! This is the best robbery I’ve ever had!! loL…I SO appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment with your experiences at Crossfit. I am so inspired by the PR’s you are experiencing. That means personal record, right? Well I may not RX but I do PR quite often!!! And you’ve really made me think about this in a different way. It’s so important to compare me to me and not to others. Thank you so much for this!!! Oh–and I don’t know if you’re related to Diana or not but she is awesome! A total blessing to me!

Mary Ellen August 14, 2012 at 2:17 am

Holly,
I cannot tell you what an inspiration your blog is to me! You write incredibly well and your message always hits home. You have moved me to tears many times. I had to let you know that I could not do a single sit up when I started working out 18 months ago and now after losing 60 pounds, I can do 50 sit-ups. The human body is amazing. Never giving up–that is truly the key. Thank you so much for inspiring me every day!

Courtney August 14, 2012 at 3:07 am

Comparison truly is the thief of joy. I lived that today myself. I wasn’t even comparing myself against others, I was comparing myself to my own past when I was able to run long distances without a thought. I actually just wrote about this tonight, and feel doubly encouraged to see my conclusion to live in the present and hope for the future echoed in your post 🙂 Thanks once again for being such an encourager!
Courtney recently posted..Being PresentMy Profile

greenie August 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Great progress! Just think what you ll be doing in another 13 months!!!!! Amazing!

suzanne August 15, 2012 at 12:07 am

You have come so far!! You are such an inspiration. Keep up the good work.
suzanne recently posted..Getting prepared!My Profile