Whatcha Doin’ Wednesday: July 11, 2012

July 11, 2012 in Uncategorized

I took my kids down to the Riverwalk this week

I’ve lived here for close to 7 years

But I was unable to go there because of my weight

The stairs alone were enough to keep me away

But since I’ve been losing weight

I’ve been down there twice

And each time I go, I can feel the progress I have made since the last time I was there

When Amanda came to see me a few months ago

We walked up and down the stairs

Which was still a struggle but I did it!

I’ve lost 30 pounds since Amanda’s visit

But to my knees– it feels like twice that!

I never thought my knees would stop hurting

But lately—I can almost see a light at the end of the tunnel

In addition to losing 30 pounds since I was last there

I also started riding the recumbent bike with my planet fitness routine

And that is supposed to be great for your knees

Well today I tested that theory

And all that peddling has paid off!

Those two things made climbing stairs so much easier for me

And far less painful

So I knew this was my time

To take the kids to the Rainforest Cafe

They have been wanting to go there forever!

But the place has THREE FLOORS and it’s always packed

Climbing up ONE flight of stairs was already pushing it

How would I ever get up THREE?

Here we are at the Rainforest Cafe

And here I am after climbing up the third flight of stairs!!

It’s dark in there so the pictures weren’t so great

But trust me–there is a smile on my face!

And I’m not even out of breath!!

The best part is my kids excitement and awe

When I do these new things

To them—I now have superpowers

Really I’m just doing (finally) what everyone else was already able to do

But to them I’ve suddenly gained abilities and powers

That I never had before!

The Rainforest Cafe is very kid oriented

A whole jungle theme and lots of things happening

They made CJ a balloon monkey

Annabelle got a balloon bracelet fitting a tween 🙂

And Charlotte got a mermaid

Here we are outside on the Riverwalk

This is what I ate at the Rainforest Cafe

My trusty steak that I tend to get almost anywhere I go

It’s a safe choice and more exciting than the chicken (which I cook myself frequently)

This is what it looked like when it arrived

And here it is when I was finished

A year later and I still love my sleeve

As long as I do my job (making smart food choices)

The sleeve does its job (which means my meal is usually over a few minutes later!)

Yeah for take out boxes!

This week we were invited to a birthday party

A lot of people were there and it was a tight space

I would avoid this in the past

Make up some excuse of why we can’t go

When the truth was that I could not fit in tight spaces

But this time the kids were not disappointed!!

Here they are at the birthday party

And here I am at the party with my son

Squeezed into a chair agains the wall

Without any problems fitting!

And while I was there

I saw someone who I have not seen since I had the surgery

We were at the same party for over an hour

Before she approached me

She said she had to ask someone first if it was me

Because although she recognized my children

She did not recognize me

It’s hard for me to believe that I’m at a point now

Where some people don’t recognize me

I’m not sure how I feel about that

Being morbidly obese is in many ways

Like being invisible

I think those who have been very obese understand what I mean

But being unrecognizable

Is another level of invisibility

People still don’t really see you

Or know who you are

I’m not sure yet how I feel about that

But when I left

My son told me

“Mom–don’t worry–I’ll never forget what you look like.  You still look the same to me.  Pretty

And I like that

Because to my son—I’m pretty

At 417 pounds

Or 247 pounds

And shouldn’t we all have someone in our life who sees US

Not our weight

Just our heart?

And speaking of my son

He had a brilliant plan to use our popsicle makers

With Crystal Light

Making yummy desserts that were just in time

For our 104 degree heat!

Here is another picture of me, Charlotte and CJ from this week

And for the first time in YEARS

I wore a sleeveless shirt

Granted…I didn’t wear it outside of my house

Because my batwings take flight

But I wore it

And for me that is an accomplishment

For once I gave myself the right

To wear a sleeveless shirt in my own house

When it was 104 degrees

Why didn’t I do that before?

I don’t know

Being obese shouldn’t equal losing your rights to go sleeveless!

But for me it has

And I’m tired of punishing myself for not being perfect

Steelers6 July 11, 2012 at 5:09 am

You look SO great in these photos, &
better yet you are feeling so great!
Girl, you are LIVING your life to the
fullest now, & I love that. And love
hearing abt it.

Dumb question, when I saw your before
& after photos of your plate; it made
me wonder if you get comments from
servers. ? Bc it looks like you ate so
little, but maybe you had other foods
too.

I love how the kids are so proud &
excited right along with you at every
milestone & accomplishment.

Proud of you!!
Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 11, 2012 at 5:37 am

Yes I do!! I have actually had one manager refuse to let me pay for my food. I finally explained to him that I had weight loss surgery and I was totally taking the rest of it home in a take out box but he was positive that I didn’t like the food and refused to let me pay. This used to happen to me a lot before I got smart and started sharing meals with my 16 year old daughter. I can’t believe I’m saying this but she and I actually eat about the same amount so we can now share a meal and still have leftovers! And it keeps the waiters from feeling like I didn’t like it. I’ve also started asking for a take out box at the beginning of the meal. That way I can throw it in there so when they return they can’t really see how much I did or did not eat. I still can’t believe that for once I am hiding how much I did NOT eat instead of how much I did!!

Caron July 11, 2012 at 5:45 am

I love these happy posts with smiling faces and all the good news about what you are able to do now. So great for you and your kids. You are really doing fabulous, Holly. 🙂
Caron recently posted..Addictive/Compulsive PersonalitiesMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 11, 2012 at 5:50 am

Thanks Caron!!

Molly Groman July 11, 2012 at 5:59 am

Wow! Loved the pics, looks like the kids reall had a great time! Its great that you are enjoying you summer, I am still at home with the 6 months old and cant move much.

More than the pics, I was inspired to see the pic tures on the righ hadn side of the blog! I am sure you must be an inspirations for a lot of them out there :)!

Visiting your blog has really made my day, Thank you SOOOO much!
Molly Groman recently posted..I no longer have the stamina for all nighters!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 11, 2012 at 6:29 am

Thanks Molly!! I hope you and the baby are doing well!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Whatcha Doin’ Wednesday: July 11, 2012My Profile

Deidra July 11, 2012 at 6:57 am

The pics of you are just beautiful! Congrats on being able to do some things with your kids that you haven’t been able to do. I have a long way to go myself and my motivation centers around my 7 year old daughter and being able to do things with her. You are an inspiration.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 11, 2012 at 7:00 am

Thanks Deidra!! I know you will get to where you want to be!

Liz July 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

Looks like you had such a wonderful day. Even thought I have never met you, I can see how some one wouldn’t recognize you. I look at your pictures and I don’t think I would know who you were either! Love the new pics, your son is right, you ARE pretty!
Liz recently posted..Can’t Move & Some PicsMy Profile

Linda Kuil July 11, 2012 at 11:44 am

Your heart is perfect (even with the scars of life) and that’s what’s MOST important. LOVE the last picture of you and your 2 youngest! (And now that I’ve had my makeover, some people have had a hard time recognizing me. To me, it’s fun!)

Leigh Costa July 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

Such fabulous progress Holly:) You’re beautiful inside and out!
Leigh Costa recently posted..Buried in my pastMy Profile

Nikki Nicholas Mohamed July 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Your son is right. You are pretty. And you know what is so awesome for me? Reading your blog and watching you learn to love you. It is inspiring. I didn’t like myself for years. It affected every aspect of my life. And it wasn’t until I was married for about 6 years that I realized that I DO deserve to be loved and that he actually does love me back the way I love him. I didn’t get it, at first. I thought there was something wrong with HIM. How on earth could he love ME like that? But he rubbed off on me and I am no so in love with me….if I could have an out of body experience, I’d have an affair with me. Okay. I’m kidding. But I do love myself now. And I am happy to be able to see that you are loving you now. God bless you and your family. May He keep you together always.
Nikki Nicholas Mohamed recently posted..Funky ErrandsMy Profile

Ducky July 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Every time I read your posts I get goosebumps (note to self: read BEFORE shaving legs) and I am just filled with so much happiness and pride and awe. Kinda weird since we’ve never met but I AM so proud and happy. I am thrilled to read the smiles in your words and your own pride in your accomplishments! You have come so far and enjoying so much of life that SO MANY people take for granted! You inspire me!!!

I LOOOOOVE the Riverwalk. San Antonio is one of my top 3 favorite cities. If I had to move anywhere other than where I am, San An would be my first choice. 🙂
Ducky recently posted..Sex, Drugs and AfroTasticMy Profile

Holly July 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Congratulations on your NSV and trekking the Riverwalk! That’s so great! I went there a few years back and I thought it was very cool. It’s so nice to be able to do things we couldn’t do before, isn’t it? I recently went to the botanical gardens by my house and walked the park twice and didn’t get tired. It felt so good not to be exhausted from exercise!
Holly recently posted..Birthday Mash UpMy Profile

Brenda July 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I know exactly how it feels to be invisible when morbidly obese. It is almost as if being obese shielded me from others.

You are truly beautiful (inside and out). Such an inspiration.

Your kids are adorable and look so happy.

Yeah to living!!!
Brenda recently posted..Because We All Deserve A Good LaughMy Profile

Charissa July 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

you are beautiful & inspiring!

Amanda July 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

What a great week!
Amanda recently posted..Hump De Hump DayMy Profile

greenie July 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Holly, you look so beautiful and happy. You’re doing so great! So happy about your knees! It’s a whole new world for you!

lori July 12, 2012 at 12:12 am

You look so happy. I am so glad for you, and you DO have superpowers!
Lori