My Ramekin Obsession (Recipes included)

July 25, 2012 in Uncategorized

This week I discovered Ramekins

These tiny little bowls that can go in the microwave or the oven

And now I am OBSESSED

Because I have found them to be the perfect way to make a meal

They are great for portion control

And the perfect size for my stomach which after surgery is 85% smaller than it used to be

A Ramekin is cute

It’s small

And you can essentially make a tiny portion of a bigger meal

They are easy to clean too!

Here is a picture of it next to my Tylenol to show how small it is

Untitled

I started doing some research to get ideas for what to do with them

But I’ve found experimenting is kind of fun!

I just throw some things in it and toss it in my Smart Oven

I feel like a kid again playing with her tiny bowls and Easy Bake Oven!!

Untitled

One day I lined it with some butter and put pico de gallo on the bottom

Untitled

I topped that with some feta cheese

Untitled

And then I threw some cooked ham, a few olives with a cracked egg on top

Untitled

I added some shredded parmesan/mozzarella cheese on top

And then I baked it for about 15 minutes

Here is the finished product

Untitled

I don’t know what to call it but it was really good!!

Most everything I eat is very low carb so if you’re wondering why I choose certain ingredients….that’s why!

I was really excited about trying a version of Eggplant Parmesan

I sliced a few pieces of eggplant and put some seasoning on top

Untitled

I threw some diced onions on top

Untitled

Followed by some ricotta cheese

Untitled

I was planning to layer it but the ramekin was so small it was already filled up

So I just topped it with the shredded parmesan/mozzarella

Untitled

I realized I had forgotten the sauce so I threw that on the top and added a little bit more cheese

Untitled

As you can see…I am not a chef

I’m basically a big kid experimenting with her grown up Easy Bake Oven!!

It may not look like much but it was delicious!

I ate about half of it and then put it in the fridge and warmed it up later

Untitled

I felt pretty excited that something so simple and easy could turn out so great!

It takes a tiny amount of ingredients and a short amount of time

And clean up is a breeze because it’s a tiny bowl!

This morning I made a quick “omelette” in the microwave

I splurge a bit and buy the pre-diced onions and peppers

I just cracked an egg and scrambled it up

Then I threw in some onions, peppers and cheese

If I had diced ham I would have thrown that in too

There are so many things you could add to it

Just throw it all in and then microwave it for a minute

Untitled

Voila! Breakfast is ready!

Untitled

Sorry that pic was blurry

But it was really good!! I even threw some salsa on top

Tonight I made my favorite one yet

I put a red pepper in the bottom

Untitled

Then I sautรฉed some onions and peppers in a pan

With a tiny piece of ground turkey

Untitled

After that I put it in the center of the pepper

Untitled

I put some mushrooms on top

And then I poured a tiny bit of Coconut Creamer over the top

Untitled

Don’t ask me what my rationale is behind all of this!

I just pull things out and put them in there

A grand experiment of sorts

I topped it with cheese

And it turned out SO yummy!!

The coconut creamer really gave it a nice creamy taste

Untitled

Another great thing to do with these Ramekin bowls

Is to make mini faux taco shells!

You just throw some shredded cheese in the bottom of the bowl

I use the Mexican mix of monterrey jack etc

Untitled

Then microwave it for about one minute

It will get a little hard and crispy

Then you just peel it off the bottom of the bowl

Untitled

Once you get it out, you just fold it over like a taco

And then fill it up with whatever you want

faux taco shell

It gives you the feeling of a taco without the carbs!

You can also do the same thing and then break them off for “chips”

Untitled

I’ve done a similar thing to make a “pizza”

I just microwave the cheese in the Ramekin

Then I take it out and put it in the smart oven

And top it with a little sauce, shredded cheese and pepperoni

Untitled

All of these are things I’ve done with my Ramekins this week!!

Next I plan to do some kind of a layered taco dish

The possibilities are endless!

If anyone has ideas, send them my way

I’m in love with my Ramekins

Now I just need to find some cute ones to add to my collection

I have a feeling I’m going to be having a lot of fun with these in the future

I hope you all enjoy them too!

****Since writing this post several people have said they’ve come up with their own ideas for Ramekins. I’m continuing to experiment too and I hope to post again on this subject. ย If you have any great ideas that you’ve come up with send me a pic and recipe ย at hkjr72@gmail.com and I will post it on the blog with a link to your blog if you want! ย More Ramekin fun!!****

Courtney July 25, 2012 at 1:01 am

I love ramekins too! They are perfect for my 2 year old to eat snacks out of, to encourage myself to get in extra fruit in the form of a home made fruit salad, or to make a little scoop of ice cream feel substantial. Something about the small size just invites me to savor whatever I’m eating a little more. ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney recently posted..A Fancy Tea PartyMy Profile

suzanne July 25, 2012 at 1:02 am

Oh what a smart idea!! I’m going to have to try that
suzanne recently posted..Still smiling!My Profile

Caron July 25, 2012 at 1:36 am

Your ideas are great. I asked for and received a set of ramekins for Christmas but I’ve only used them twice and both times for a pudding, custard type thing. One was just egg custard and tasted too much like Splenda and the other was a pumpkin custard that was too dry. I think I’ll try a couple of your ideas. Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚
Caron recently posted..A Quick Post About KaleMy Profile

Trish July 25, 2012 at 1:50 am

I love experimenting in the kitchen too. Have fun with it!!!
Trish recently posted..Lesson LearnedMy Profile

Nikki Nicholas Mohamed July 25, 2012 at 2:12 am

That is so cool. Totally gonna start using my thingys —- not exactly Ramekins but we call it Baram in Arabic. They come in a variety of sizes. I have individual ones that are about double the size of your Ramekin. I may have to start using mine on a more regular basis. It would definitely solve my portion sizing consistency problem. You know, where you start out on the right path but then end up sort of “coming to” while staring at a serving plate of ice cream with a friggin’ LADLE in your hand. *sigh*

I know. I know. Pay attention and don’t zone out while serving food.
Nikki Nicholas Mohamed recently posted..Forgive but Not ForgetMy Profile

Trisha July 25, 2012 at 2:17 am

what great ideas!! and yummy pics… I want a Smart Oven!! I am so jealous!! lol

Steelers6 July 25, 2012 at 4:57 am

Sounds like fun. Your dishes are cute!
Cute is important. ๐Ÿ™‚ I got a set of 2
in brick red, cute, with *lids*…..Ooooooo
Ooo…. Haha. Sad though, one is missing.

Good ideas! Interesting to see how
little you actually eat. Do you eat often,
then?
Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I want some with lids! Mine don’t have them. I will have to look for some like that. To answer your question, I eat about 3 times a day. Usually I start my day with coffee and then a protein shake. However, sometimes I eat eggs in the morning to shake it up. Lateley I’ve been making baked eggs in the oven or scrambled in the ramekin. Then I’ll make something like above for dinner. Lunch is usually something small but may include leftovers, ham, cheese, or some other protein. And then I work hard at limiting carbs.
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..My Ramekin Obsession (Recipes included)My Profile

Linda Kuil July 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

Love everything, but when you got to the coconut creamer I was like “What is she thinking???” I thought maybe the salsa was coming, but NOT creamer! I guess it could give it a Thai flavor? I don’t know since I’ve never eaten Thai food!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I do love to put salsa on everything!! Lately I have been adding in a few ideas from Paleo/Primal eating. I don’t eat Paleo/Primal exclusively but I have been incorporating some of their ideas here and there. That is where I got the idea of adding Coconut into my life! This is the link that got me thinking about it http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-wonderful-world-of-coconut-products/#axzz21drBV4OK

Lady Amanda July 25, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Creamer has been used a lot here lately too. The other day it was added to pancakes instead of milk and they were the best pancakes we have ever had. I love all of the recipes you posted. I have several sets of ramekins and love them. It does make it fun and it is the perfect serving size. Love all of the new food ideas.

Lee Mitchell July 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Everything looks delicious! Thanks for the ideas!
Lee Mitchell recently posted..Versatile Blogger AwardMy Profile

Amandq July 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm

The first, unnamed dish sounded and looked delicious! (Though, they all did, but that one stood out to me.) I love using mine for mac and cheese. There’s lots of recipes for healthy mac and cheese on pinterest. ๐Ÿ™‚
Amandq recently posted..in which reality comes crashing down on my dream lifeMy Profile

Sweet Addy July 25, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This is brilliant! I have probably 16 ramekins that I seldom use, except to make small servings of things like pita chips look larger.

I’m going to try the cheese taco shell idea, for sure.
Sweet Addy recently posted..TTTMy Profile

EmDub July 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Ooooh! Those look FABULOUS! Will your kids (or do they already) like picking their ingredients out and making their own Top Chef masterpieces? I can definitely see kids loving that (oh hey and adults too!)
EmDub recently posted..Non-scale VictoriesMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I bet you are right!! The kids are going to have lots of fun inventing with this!

Wendie July 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Yay for this post! I have some ramekins that I’ve never used & now I am inspired!!! Thanks!
Wendie recently posted..Plugging AlongMy Profile

Lori July 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Cool!!

Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock July 26, 2012 at 12:43 am

Such great ideas! Makes me wish I had a toaster oven to replicate them, but I do love ramekins.
Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock recently posted..First Week of Insanity is Over!My Profile

Jane July 26, 2012 at 1:43 am

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I’ve discovered a fantastic Mexican joint (they’re rare around here) Eating tons of their salsa on everything. It feels like a treat, but everything in it is sooooo good for me. Yay! And I’ve been digging iced tea, drinking like a gallon a day! Yay for summer! Also poaching your crystal lite pop cycles…yummy!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’m glad some of these ideas helped!! That’s cool about the Crystal Light popsicles! GO Jane!

Jane July 27, 2012 at 2:50 am

I really did write pop cycles didn’t I! LOL!

Kaitlyn July 26, 2012 at 6:24 am

This is so clever!!!
Kaitlyn recently posted..Start with yourselfMy Profile

Andrea July 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Wow, those all look amazing! Great ideas and the perfect portion size!
Andrea recently posted..Weigh-In WednesdayMy Profile

Andrea July 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm

PS – I just ordered some ramekins online so I can join in on the fun! ๐Ÿ™‚
Andrea recently posted..Weigh-In WednesdayMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 26, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Awesome!!

Wendie July 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I had ramekins hiding in the pantry and now they’re being used! Thanks for the great idea! Wish I could send you a picture of what I am eating out of it right now….
Wendie recently posted..Plugging AlongMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down July 26, 2012 at 5:30 pm

You should!! I would love that! Maybe I can include it when I post again about my ramekins! Feel free to send it to me at hkjr72@gmail.com Thanks!!

Angie Mizzell July 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Are you on Pinterest? People are recipe crazy over there. You pin boards would be a real hit! I love how this eating plan is fueled by hunger AND creativity! And the low-carb tips with cheese made me drool. ๐Ÿ™‚

stephanie July 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Those LOOK Awesome! I really should try them out. Thanks for posting!

Rachel February 1, 2013 at 6:14 am

Wow – I was given some ramekins last year by my step-kids mother & have never used them – yet. So looking up recipes and finding yours which are not only carb concious but experimental, which is how I like to cook was SO fabulous – & your photos moved me. Good for you!! & me & my family! Thanks – I’m putting you on my facebook page!!! Go girl!

Vanessa February 13, 2013 at 8:58 am

I just want to say that i think its AMAZING that you have taken the initiative to become a healthier person! Congratulations!

Glenda February 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Holly – Thanks for the recipes. I’m anxious to try them. I got a set of 4 covered ramekins from Kohl’s for Christmas. May be worth a visit… Bravo!

Andrea March 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I had VSG 11 days ago. This past weekend I just happened to pick up a set of ramekins that I’ve needed for sometime. It just occured to me today that I can use them for my future meals! Portion control, perfect size, etc. In doing a quick recipe search I found your website. Thank you so much for sharing your story, experience and tips. Absolutely inspiring.

Cynthea March 16, 2013 at 6:17 am

These recipes look awesome. I make up names for stuff I make if I don’t now exactly what it is. I just started doing some cooking with ramekins and love it. I’m looking forward to trying out some of your experiments too. I found four awesome blue ramekins from Japan today at the thrift store that match my blue dishes. They are sort of like these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/98060424/set-of-6-stoneware-ramekins-brown-olive but with lids and they are a rich royal blue.

You look great! Keep healthy! Thanks for sharing your low carb ramekin dishes with us internets. ^_^

Rachel June 2, 2013 at 7:14 am

First thing, I cannot believe how good you are looking mainly because if you are eating this much cheese! Haha, taco shells are pretty healthy and when compared to cheese cooked and shaped into a shell it may as well be a lettuce leaf! Good luck with your weight loss, but cut this out! You’re really pretty also!
Rachel recently posted..Downsizing!My Profile

Kirk badeau January 24, 2014 at 11:30 am

I have just recently become intrested in cooking in ramekins. But my comment is about your weight loss . A few words come to mind but do not do your weight loss justice. They are awesome , amazing and outstanding . You are incredible . Way to go ๐Ÿ™‚

Jackie April 16, 2014 at 11:32 pm

I cried from seeing your before and after picture. Congratulations on your success, I am so happy for you! That is some serious discipline and hard work.

I cook for two and I usually make huge portions so that there will be leftovers for later meals, so I can cook less! However, Le Cruset was having a sale so I bought the Eggplant color ramekin set and I think they will be very helpful to me when it comes to portion control. I am trying to lose weight and I ALWAYS over eat.

Anyway, thank you for some ideas and again, great job with your weight loss!

Lee June 4, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Not only are your ideas awesome, but you are a true hero with all that weight loss!!! You look so happy:)

Michele Newton June 29, 2014 at 4:27 am

Hi, I love all your recipes, However my question is, I recently brought the mini ramekins from aldi, because they were so cute, so these are smaller than your normal ramekins, Any suggestions of what to do with them, or are some of the recipes above good for them too. Obviously they are just too small for dinners, but maybe desserts?

sharon October 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I cam across your blog on pinterest, looking for recipes to do with my ramekins! You look great! Like you have so much more energy to spend on the things and people most dear to you. I am very proud of you! Congratulations.

Alison November 19, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Holly,

Congrats on your weight loss…keep it up ( or rather down ). You look great and you are a true inspiration to me! I to am on the weight loss journey. I weighed 217 at my heaviest and am now down to 156. The sad thing is that I had gotten this off once before and let half of it come back…it takes work to keep it off and unfortunately hard work in the gym.

Why I am writing is to tell you to ignore all the snide remarks from the haters telling you what is good and what is bad. The main thing is eat what satisfies you and in portion control. I’m also exactly like you on the sweet issue! I have been pretty much sugar free and it does curb appetite. I’m on weight watchers and we count everything! At our meetings we moan and groan to each other but you have the whole world to talk to and be accountable to…what a great idea!

I too am obsessed with Ramekins! That’s why I’m looking for ideas love yours,I’lm a fan.

Good luck on the rest of your journey. I’ll be watching you melt away.

P.S. I just received a new Precore Eliptical machine and I now need to go out to the garage and use it!

Alison

Al

Mari November 30, 2014 at 1:30 am

I loved all your ideas! Cheese? Oh my yes!

Verla January 28, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I like your ideas with the ramekins. How many ounces are the ramekins you use.