Good Enough?

July 4, 2012 in Uncategorized

Brenda over at Bandster Momma wrote a great post

“Are you too comfortable?”

And it got me thinking

Am I?

She talked about how we get comfortable at certain weights

And we just sit there

What about you?

The truth is that I used to a size 34

Just last summer

And I used to say

“Man…I would be HAPPY to be a size 20 NOW”

Have you ever said that to yourself?

You look back on pictures when you were younger

And you remember that at the time you were unhappy with yourself

But now you think…I’d LOVE to be that weight!

Well that’s what I thought for many years

I thought..you know…if I could be a size 24 or a 22 I’d be ecstatic

But now I’m a size 20

And I can honestly say

I never really believed I’ve ever be a size 20 again

I think I believed that I would lose SOME of the weight

But now that I’m 163 lbs in and a size 20

I already feel like the dream has come true

I can walk around comfortably

I’m not winded

I’m not in constant pain

I can fit in seats

I can fit in a booth

I’m MOBILE!

I’m living my life again

I’ve reentered society

And now I find….that I’m at a plateau

But is it a REAL plateau

Or a mental one

Has my weight loss slowed down

Because deep down…I don’t believe I can go lower?

I was reminded today

When I read Brenda’s post

That sometimes our plateau

IS US

We put up the roadblock

We hit a weight that feels comfortable

And we say….Good Enough

But did you start this journey to reach “good enough”

Or did you start this for VICTORY?

That’s the question I’m asking myself today

And maybe it’s time I stop being so comfortable

Maybe it’s time I start telling myself to widen the scope

Of my dreams

Dream Bigger

Don’t accept “good enough”

BELIEVE

What about you?

Jane July 4, 2012 at 1:32 am

Love It!!! This is just perfect and good for you…YOU deserve this Victory!

Dawn July 4, 2012 at 3:54 am

Your body is simply adjusting my friend. As long as you “dream it”, you will “achieve it”. I know…cause I did. The weight loss will slow down a bit but it will continue as long as you stick to your program (which I know you will).

A little tip…my weight loss ALWAYS stalls in the 2nd week of the month and in the 3rd week, I can drop like 4-5 pounds. Don’t ask me why (I don’t have a period…had a hysterectomy 10 years ago) but it does.

You have the determination and mindset so NOTHING is going to stop you now.
Dawn recently posted..I DID IT!My Profile

Linda Kuil July 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I know what you mean. I’m “stuck” right now because I don’t want to be “uncomfortably” hungry or work out even more than I am! But I also don’t want to be done!!

Ronda July 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm

All I wanted in the beginning was to get to my wedding weight of 183. When I got there, I sat there for a while. Then I decided it wasn’t enough and as soon as I made that decision, the scale started moving again!
You can and WILL do it. We all believe in you.
Ronda recently posted..Day 3 is always the hardestMy Profile

Carrie July 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm

You are so right. I have to admit I’m guilty of getting comfortable at so many places in life. Job, weight, exercise, etc.

Great read…really hit home!
Carrie recently posted..Magic has never made me blush quite so much. And I’ve had me a little magic before, too.My Profile

Rae Rae J July 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I can’t tell you how many times here lately I’ve thought “well this is where my body thinks it should stay.” And I have to remind myself that NO! I will make 165!
Rae Rae J recently posted..My New ToyMy Profile

Trish @I_am_Succeeding July 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I say DREAM BIGGER!!!!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..The Final CountdownMy Profile

Mari July 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

That is exactly where I’m at. I lost 50 pounds and can’t get past it because I’ve gotten comfortable at where I am. Thanks for the “kick in the pants” 🙂 I needed it!
Mari recently posted..Happy Fourth of July!My Profile

Lindsay July 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I struggle with this almost daily.

Starting at 250 … i remember thinking, 165 would be my swet spot. Everything would be great. My life would be great.
Then I reached that goal. Feeling unhappy …

It wasn’t enough.
155.
155lbs would be my happy spot. Or would it?
That weight came and went … and 2 years later, I’m content at 140lbs.
It’s not about being physically content. It’s mental. That’s the hardest part ….

Lose July 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

All I desired in the starting was to get to my marriage bodyweight of 183. When I got there, I sat there for a while. Then I created the choice it was not enough and as soon as I created that choice, the range began going again!
You can and WILL do it. We all believe in you.
Lose recently posted..Natural Weight Loss TipsMy Profile

Katie July 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I too think a lot like you, especially when looking at older pictures of myself. However, I never thought about how I may be holding myself back (of course I am no where near a size 20 at this time). But i see what you mean.
Katie recently posted..Uncle NickMy Profile

Sheila July 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I struggle with this daily because I’m not UNhappy where I am. I could live here comfortably for the rest of my life (after losing -100lbs) but part of me wonders “what if” could I go lower, and what would it be like. It’s going to take a major shakeup with my eating/exercising to make it happen though and I just haven’t been unhappy enough to make the big changes that I need to, in order to get lower. So in a word, yep, comfortable. But someday… 🙂
Sheila recently posted..5 Day UpdateMy Profile

Brenda July 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm

You got this Holly. You have not come this far to settle here. Say, “It’s been nice knowing you size 20 but I DESERVE more.” Because you do, my friend. You really do.
Brenda recently posted..Motivational Monday………..Are You Too Comfortable?My Profile

sandie July 5, 2012 at 4:02 am

Happy 4th of July. sandie
sandie recently posted..FOURTH OF JULY!My Profile

Lisa July 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’m in that same place as so many others. It’s kind of comforting to know I am not the only one. I am so happy that I have lost 117 pounds and now in a size 14 (down from a 24), but I am still 39 over what my “Ideal” weight was. I was content because I feel so good right now, and the scales haven’t moved in a month. Thanks for the kick in the butt! I am here to obtain victory, not to be content!! Operation final goal is back on and I can see the finish line in sight. Thanks Holly!!!

Free Julie July 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Oh yeah, I know what you mean! I’ve weighed 141-145 since February. Complacent, much?? 😉

Elizabeth July 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

You are always great at getting me thinking 🙂 Sorry I’ve been MIA, trying to adjust to some changes recently- It’s true though, we can become complacent, however it can go the other way as well..We can not be satisfied and want more more more..As with everything we need to have happy mediums and we need to decide what that happy medium will be when we can feel realistically happy with ourselves and at peace with how we are and who we are without always saying I want a little more..Does that make sense? At least it does to me 🙂 You are an amazing woman and You should be SO PROUD of yourself! 🙂
Elizabeth recently posted..Not So Fat Friday- Cha Cha Cha Changes 😉My Profile

Joy July 30, 2012 at 4:53 am

I have been wondering the same think about myself! I can’t seem to get below 220??? Maybe I need to try a different strategy!
Joy recently posted..Two years agoMy Profile