Crossfit and trying new things

July 14, 2012 in Uncategorized

This journey for me

Has been about doing new things

Pushing myself beyond what I thought I could do

12 months ago, that meant getting off the couch

And walking to the mailbox

It meant taking a leap of faith

Over the past year,  I have continued to try new things

But today I did something

That I never thought I would have the courage to do

I tried a Crossfit class

Now I know this isn’t for everyone

Maybe it isn’t even for me

We shall see

But in the past I’ve always had this all or nothing attitude

That if I don’t think I can handle it

Or if I think it’s going to be too hard

Or I’m not going to be perfect at it

Then I don’t even try

I was never athletic

I was always the kid that threw up every year when they made us run

So add in those memories to my weight issues

And you have a recipe for quitting before you start

Could it be that there is an Option B

Trying?

This is my new way of thinking

If it doesn’t work…what harm is done?

Even if I quit after the first 30 seconds

That is still better than having NOT tried at all

But Crossfit?

I knew it was the impossible

I knew it was beyond me

I knew that Holly—the girl who threw up every year on the 600 Yard Dash in elementary school

The girl who was always the last one coming in after our runs in high school

The woman who weighed 417 pounds

I knew that Holly—could NEVER survive one minute of Crossfit

But THIS Holly

The one who has learned that trying is better than hiding

That 30 seconds is better than zero

That taking a risk is better than safely riding the couch day after day

THIS HOLLY

She can do it!

Now I’ll add this

I did my research

I talked to the coach

I explained my issues (not just mental…lol)

My knees, my background, my history

And I was encouraged by her willingness to help me

To encourage me

And her assurance that  we could scale it or modify it to what I could handle

And THAT is something I know can work for me

Because I’ve been doing that the whole last year

Scaling and modifying exercise to fit what I can handle

While still pushing myself out of my comfort zones

The coach I found has a unique background

That I feel will fit perfectly into the plan I have been following

She even wrote a book called “Fit for Faith” which I devoured in a night

When I read her philosophy on life, faith and fitness

And found out she was local

That sealed the deal

I knew this was someone I had to meet

One year ago I weighed 417 pounds

I was researching mobility scooters online

Because I was losing my ability to walk

And today

I just finished Day One of Crossfit

At Crossfit 925

I wanted to cry

I almost threw up

And I may or may not have peed myself

But that was all before I even got out of the car to walk in the door

Because FEAR wanted to keep me driving

Fear wanted to go back to McDonald’s

To the safety of Big Mac

But courage said

Get your whiny butt out of the car

AND TRY!!!!

I walk/ran a short distance

I did squats

I lifted a kettle bell over my head!

Every day they write the WOD (Workout of the Day) on the board

I could not do what the others were doing

But I did do SOMETHING

And there is MY name on the board

HOLLY

And just seeing it there—makes me proud

I met some amazing people

Who encouraged me

Who told me I could do it

And the Coach at Crossfit 925 —Diana Tyler of Fit for Faith

Who assured me that I will get stronger every day

If I just keep trying

And don’t give up

And we all know that much is true

Because 12 months ago I could not get out of a chair without help

And today I walked into a Crossfit and survived!

Now tell me what we can’t do

When we have faith

It all started with 30 seconds

And one trip to the mailbox

That turned into two

That turned into three

If this is where a little hope could get me in one year

Where will I be in two?

How about you?

Amy July 14, 2012 at 5:15 am

wow, that looks intense!! I’ve never touched a kettle ball …those things scare the heck outta me! LOL Great job!
Amy recently posted..Yay! Here’s my 1 year slideshow!My Profile

Leigh Costa July 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

You are awesome Holly! “If you never try, you’ll never know”! Who knows, you may become addicted to cross fit! I felt exactly the same way when I started running. I didn’t give up when it got hard and now I love it! This is just the beginning for both of us. I can’t wait to try new things now:)
Leigh Costa recently posted..Envision thisMy Profile

Lady Amanda July 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

Am soo proud of you! You are awesome!

Linda Kuil July 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm

GOOD FOR YOU! I would love to try Cross Fit, but it IS very intimidating, so I chose to do Insanity at home. NOT the same thing, but a definite challenge for me. Isn’t it great to change your mind about yourself? You ARE an athlete! Now I want to hear how you feel this morning! Things aching that you never realized existed??? That’s a good pain to me- it means I did something to improve my strength.

April July 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Holly –
I am SO proud, and intimidated! I am scared to death to try Cross Fit! However, you have motivated me to us the fitness center in the apartment complex we just moved in! Good for you!!!
April recently posted..Play dates are scary.My Profile

Lee Mitchell July 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

So proud of you! I have never tried CrossFit. It looks very intense like Bootcamp. Way to go! I cant wait to see where you are at year 2!
Lee Mitchell recently posted..Day 7 of 30DSMy Profile

Amandq July 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

That is so great Holly! Congratulations on your strength and bravery. 🙂 I would love to try crossfit one day, when I have some money for the classes haha.
Amandq recently posted..in which I remember what the sun feels likeMy Profile

Joanna July 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm

You are one of the main reasons I decided to start my journey over again. You give me so much hope and determination. I love your attitude and outlook on the scary and unfamiliar – and that makes the reward so much more..urm..well, rewarding.

Much love to you!!
Joanna recently posted..What a Truly "Magical" Evening…My Profile

Staci July 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Mercy me. I’ve never done kettle bells, so at first I thought you were hanging there from that rack! LOL Then I noticed your feet were on the floor. Oops. Haha. You go girl. That is so awesome!
Staci recently posted..Crawling Back WoundedMy Profile

Trish July 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I say it time and time again but it is sooo true….you are amazing!!!!

kristi July 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm

You go girl!

Kelly @CurvyFitGirl July 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I am so freaking proud of you, Holly!!
Kelly @CurvyFitGirl recently posted..Day 1,020 – About Moderation & Last Chance Workout.My Profile

Nikki Mohamed July 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Wow. Just wow.
I’m so proud of you…and jealous. Living in a Muslim country is difficult when it comes to women’s gyms (everything is segregated.) I used to work out doing memorized kick-box aerobics routines in my living room. But it’s hot and I’m older and lazier and in a really STUPIDLY designed apt that also contributes to the laundry list of reasons I don’t get the lead out…..I will. I have to. I CAN. I MUST. I DO. <3
Nikki Mohamed recently posted..differencesMy Profile

Brenda July 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I am so very proud of you! Great job. Keep it up you will get stronger and stronger and amaze yourself!!!!
Brenda recently posted..Another Round Of Ten Things ThursdayMy Profile

Kendra aka The Meanest Momma July 15, 2012 at 12:59 am

Hi Holly,

Good for you! I’m working on writing up my story of how Crossfit & Paleo eating have totally transformed my life. I have no doubt it can do wonders for you or anyone willing to put in the effort.

Thanks for stopping by my blog — best of luck! I am a total Crossfit junkie now, having a blast watching the Games on the computer.

You go girl!
Kendra aka The Meanest Momma recently posted..The Seven Year Old Clone Wars Birthday PartyMy Profile

Sam July 15, 2012 at 6:19 am

I am so proud of you Holly! You are such an inspiration and wonderful woman! Good job for facing your fears and trying something new!
<3 Sam
Sam recently posted..2 month meMy Profile

sparrow July 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Holly, you inspire me and give me hope. I, too, struggle to quiet that voice telling me I can’t or I’m not good enough. I find it hard to walk into new places. You are so brave. Crossfit has been on my radar but I’m too nervous to walk in. Now I just might! Keep fighting Satan, in Christ you can silence him forever. Xoxoxo

Amanda July 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm

So proud of you!!!
Amanda recently posted..Week 1 was goodMy Profile

EmDub July 16, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I really want to read that book! I will definitely put it on my amazon wishlist and buy it ASAP!
EmDub recently posted..Water Aerobics – Not Just For Weenies and Older PeopleMy Profile

Ann July 16, 2012 at 4:14 pm

What a beautiful and inspiring testimony, Holly!! You’ve brought tears to my eyes and a desire to keep you in prayer as you make progress one day at a time. May God bless you and bless others as He touches their lives through you!

Mimi@Irresistible Icing July 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Go girl! Cross-fit is no joke! That’s one serious work out! I’m still to scared to try it out! Keep up the awesome work! You’re such an inspiration!
Mimi@Irresistible Icing recently posted..10 Pounds for a Juicy Couture CharmMy Profile

Andrea July 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Wow, good for you!
Andrea recently posted..RoutineMy Profile

Christina July 21, 2012 at 10:57 am

AWESOME JOB LADY!!! I so badly want to take a crossfit class but my gym doesn’t offer it and I can’t afford to take it anywhere else. So for now, running and kickboxing are what I do! 🙂 Keep up the great work!
Christina recently posted..Decaf Click Review and Giveaway!My Profile