Be Inspired Sunday: Merrily from Chasing Happy Ever After

July 15, 2012 in Uncategorized

Looking for some inspiration?

Look no further than Merrily from Chasing Happy Ever After

Remember the other day when I decided to try Crossfit?

Well I showed up feeling intimidated

And then I met Merrily

From the moment she walked in the door

It was like a breeze of positive energy had blown through

She started telling me about her own journey

Her own struggles with losing weight

But then I saw her work out

She was lifting things and running

And generally impressing the heck out of me!

But in between being a rock star

She was encouraging me and cheering me on

When I went back the next day

We did more hard things

This time I felt even more inadequate

There were people surrounding me that looked in perfect shape

They were doing things I thought I could never do

While everyone else had a barbell with weights

I had a PVC pipe!

I literally was not able to even lift the barbell

Even with NO WEIGHTS on it

So while everyone else was doing the prescribed routine

I was doing the modified version with a PVC pipe

And even THAT I couldn’t do right

I felt like even without the weights I couldn’t get the form right

The combination of everything just hit me

The memories of always being that kid who could never keep up in gym class

The voices in my head that tell me I’m a fool for trying

My personal history of being obese and feeling defeated

The memories of being told I can never change

That I will never be good enough

Suddenly it flooded over me

And before I knew it—I was crying

CRYING!

So there I am

The biggest person there

The weakest person there

Struggling to do even the modified version of the workout

And now I’m crying too

Merrily walked over

And she told me immediately

The Enemy wants you defeated (1 Peter 5:8)

The voices in your head will tell you that you can’t do it

That you’re not good enough

BUT YOU ARE!

Because you are doing something

You are here

You are trying

KEEP GOING!!

When our workout was over

I wanted to feel proud of myself for having finished it

But instead I just felt embarrassed for crying

In my head, I thought to myself

Not only am I physically weak

But I’m mentally weak too

Could I get any more pathetic???

But Merrily shared with me

That this process is more than physical

It’s emotional too

Then she told me something that shocked me

She had only started Crossfit two months before me

And she could barely do a thing when she started

It couldn’t be true!

This woman who was doing amazing things

Was telling me two months ago she could barely get on the floor?

You can read about her first day at Crossfit here

And you can read the updated version of her progress and an amazing testimonial here

It will inspire you

It will make you realize that

We can do hard things

We can accomplish our goals

And we can fight the voices in our head

That tell us we will never be good enough

Sometimes a person blows through the door of your life

And makes you realize

That the Enemy can only defeat you

If you let him

So don’t let him!

Merrily on the left, Coach Diana in the middle, and me

Robyn July 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Holly, Beautiful Holly, No one starts an exercise program as an expert- you start at the beginning. You can do anything you put your mind to doing. Just go and do what you can and you will grow mentally and continue to shrink physically. I am very proud of you.

Linda Kuil July 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm

You have to focus on HOW FAR YOU’VE COME, not how far you have to go!!!! Our fitness goals are all different, you have to be THE BEST YOU that YOU can be!!! Do you remember when walking to your mailbox seemed like an impossibility? Then you were walking how many miles before your knee started giving you trouble? This is the same thing. You’ve been working on your cardio, and now it’s time for strength training. Just BEING at the gym is a tremendous accomplishment!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Tracy aka MyTinyTank.net July 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Way to go! Having fun and enjoying what you are doing will make you stick with a program. You look fabulous!!!!!
Tracy aka MyTinyTank.net recently posted..Food DiaryMy Profile

Melissa July 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Holly I’m amazed at you doing crossfit, because I’m too nervous about even going to a trial class. You did it and I’m so proud of you. Your blog about this process is truly an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

Dawn July 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

And to think…it all started with a choice. You are such an amazing, inspiring, and motivational woman. Keep on rockin’ it girl.
Dawn recently posted..Week in Review in PicturesMy Profile

Sarah July 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Lao-tzu

“The first step is the hardest.” English proverb.

You inspire me Holly. Even when things seem impossible, you keep going. xx
Sarah recently posted..Overdue apologies … epic post alertMy Profile

Lynn July 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Somewhere on my blog I posted about how I first started to work out. How one day I just decided to go to an aqua aerobics class….swimsuit…in front of other people…it is hard to make that first step. For me, it was aqua aerobics that then became a gym membership and doing classes, weight lifting, and personal training…later boxing….now kettlebell…running…entering 5Ks doing stair climbs….going to train for a marathon…

WE ALL START SOMEWHERE. I always remember this quote:

“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”
― John Bingham

I think you are doing awesome. i just stumbled on your blog and wanted to cheer you on!
Lynn recently posted..Proof is in the photos…My Profile

Lori July 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

So, I cried reading this. I can so relate. I don’t know if you ever read my blog entry about my PE torture in elementary school. The teacher actually taunted me and called me fat in front of my whole class! I have been fearful of anything physical. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Good for you for even walking in the place. Good for you for trying the modified work out. In no time, you’ll be the rock star putting your arm around a newcomer telling them that they can do it.
Lori

Trish @I_am_Succeeding July 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I am so proud of you!!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..SundayMy Profile

Bill Dameron July 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Awesome and inspiring as always Holly!
Bill Dameron recently posted..A Maine RomanceMy Profile

Gi July 16, 2012 at 1:22 am

Holly, you look stunning in that picture!
You are my inspiration! every time I read your blog I feel I want to cry, you often write things and if feels like you have somehow tapped into my soul and are writing about me, my experiences, my feelings!
I know exactly how you feel and I know how hard it can be but I also can read how strong you are and I know that you are stronger than the negative words in your head.
YOU ARE AMAZING!
xx
Gi recently posted..Day 11 Pre Op and a rather short post!My Profile

DebbyH July 16, 2012 at 1:25 am

Im so glad you have a Merrily!!!! And so very proud of you for going back!!!!
DebbyH recently posted..Kick me!My Profile

Amy July 16, 2012 at 6:45 am

keep on truckin – you’ve got a great attitude and you’re doing great things, Holly! 🙂
Amy recently posted..Yay! Here’s my 1 year slideshow!My Profile

Amanda November 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Good thing I have some kleenex handy….this post made my eyes leak a little. Way to go, and great job! I can’t wait for my turn!