A Child’s Perspective

June 5, 2012 in Uncategorized

So much of the time

I forget

That this journey

Has affected more than just me

I’m the one out there walking

Counting mailboxes

Sweating in the Texas heat

I’m the one having to pass up Twinkies

Saying no to the box of cupcakes

It’s me that has to ย pull myself off the couch

And turn on the elliptical

Instead of the televsion

My blood, sweat and tears

Right?

But today

My daughter, Charlotte

Who just finished 2nd grade

Reminded me

That it’s not just about me

Everything I do

Affects them

In one way or the other

All my children are insightful

But Charlotte is the one

Who seems to be very in tune

With the process I’ve gone through

I’m not sure if it’s because of her interest in medicine

From the time she was little

She preferred to watch

Discovery Health

Over Sesame Street

She cried when they cancelled the Discovery Health Channel

Her favorite show

Was Dr.G

Is that weird?

She just loved to find out

What made people live

What made people die

What makes them tick

My mom would buy her X-Rays

And skeletons with the body part labeled

And books full of pictures

About the human body

It interests her

But as a result

She understands things

At a more mature level

Even at 8

She knew what it meant

For me to have that surgery

She understood the dangers

The risks

But she also knew

That obesity carries with it

Its own dangers

I always knew that Charlotte

Understood things from that perspective

The “medical” side

But what I missed

Was how much she understood

From the emotional side

Charlotte has always been a light

I wonder some days

How someone so small

Could be so wise

I try to do special things

With each of my children

Give them individual time

So they know they’re important

On their own

Not just in the pack

This week

We went to the movies

And Charlotte wanted to sit at the TOP

The very top row

Do you know how many stairs you have to climb

To make that happen?

But let’s face it

Before now, I couldn’t fit in the chair

And now I can

Charlotte ran to the top

Like Rocky running up those stairs

Here she is at the top

Untitled

Saying

Come On MOM!!! You can do it!

And here I am almost there!

Forgive my crazy eyes

But Charlotte was in charge of the camera

And I think the flash was on!

Untitled

The point is

I made it!

Not only can I GO to the movies

AND FIT

I can go to the TOP

But something else happened today

Charlotte started telling me

That she was grateful

Grateful to me

For getting off the couch

That’s what she said

There were tears in her eyes

And by the time she was done

There were tears in mine too

In some ways

It made me sad

So sad

To realize that Charlotte had been hurting too

When I was over 400 pounds

Because it’s hard to believe

That on June 27th

It will have been one year

Since I had weight loss surgery

Exactly one year ago

I weighed 417 pounds

I could barely get out of the chair

I could barely walk across the room

I was dying

Slowly

And hearing Charlotte

Tell me

FOR GETTING OFF THE COUCH

Made it all worth it

It just filled my heart with joy

Because I know

That every step I take

Every minute of the elliptical

Every cupcake I pass on

Matters

IT MATTERS

To a child’s heart

I asked if she would share on video

With you

Some of what she shared with me

And this is what she said

She was a bit emotional

So she didn’t talk long

But what she did say

Was just enough

To get the message across to me

That what we do matters

To the heart of our children

It doesn’t go unnoticed

So when you’re out there

And you think everything you’re doing

Is just for you

Remember

Someone out there will be affected by your actions

And it’s kind of nice

Just knowing

That what we do every day

Can make a difference

Not to just us

But to those

We care the most about

And for me

That gives a new perspective

To exercise

Because now you know

If you quit

If you give up

You’re not just quitting on yourself

You’re quitting on THEM

And as a Mom

That is one thing

I will NEVER do

I will never give up on my children

And if giving up on myself

Means giving up on them

Then now I know

That I can never do that again

And doesn’t that give

A whole new meaning

To losing the weight

And getting healthy?

I think it does ๐Ÿ™‚

Alison June 5, 2012 at 12:56 am

LOVE!!
Alison recently posted..Last game of the seasonMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 1:39 am

Thanks Alison!!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..A Child’s PerspectiveMy Profile

Drazil June 5, 2012 at 1:11 am

She’s just so precious…and so are you. You have much to be proud of.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 1:39 am

Thanks Drazil!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..A Child’s PerspectiveMy Profile

Mari June 5, 2012 at 1:33 am

What a great reminder! I started losing weight last year because I was waiting for my first grandchild to be born. I wanted to be healthy for her. I did really well, but have been slacking lately. Thanks for the reminder!
Mari recently posted..How does your garden grow?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 1:40 am

Thanks Mari!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..A Child’s PerspectiveMy Profile

suzanne June 5, 2012 at 2:06 am

I just want to hug both of you!
suzanne recently posted..Tracking every bite, lick and taste!My Profile

darlene June 5, 2012 at 2:12 am

Yes, what you do DOES matter! Thanks for doing what you do!

april June 5, 2012 at 2:30 am

What a doll baby!! Thank you Charlotte ๐Ÿ™‚

Dawn June 5, 2012 at 2:32 am

OK – two things…1) your daughter ROCKS! kids have an amazing way of giving their parents (especially moms) strength and courage they didn’t even know they have. 2) you need a new jacket my friend as the one you are wearing is WAY TOO BIG now!! LOL.
Dawn recently posted..Spreading My Wings…Part IMy Profile

Staci June 5, 2012 at 3:32 am

She is terribly adorable!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love how dramatic of a language she uses to describe it all. I have an 8 year old girl. Precious! This is such a nice post, and I can only imagine how swelled your heart was with joy from hearing her tell you these things. (PS – I didn’t REALLY order steamed broccoli at the Chinese place. That part was a joke. LOL)
Staci recently posted..Much BetterMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 3:37 am

Hahahaa figures I didn’t get the joke. Lol

Steelers6 June 5, 2012 at 4:45 am

Holly, she is just precious. Soo sweet.

Thanks for sharing Charlotte, & good
job on being supportive of your dear
Mum. What movie did you see, sweetie?
I like to sit at the top too.

You ladies have a splendid week.
Chrissy

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 10, 2012 at 1:51 am

Miss Chrissy,
Hi. This is Charlotte. Thank you for the comment you gave me. It was really nice. The movie we saw was Avengers. I hope you have a good summer

Bye,
Charlotte
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Weekly Round UpMy Profile

betty June 5, 2012 at 4:55 am

She seems like a great motivator to help you stay on track in this journey of yours to shed the weight and get healthier. WTG that you were able to climb the stairs at the theater and to fit in the chair; both great victories!

betty

Sarah June 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

How beautiful.

Reminds me of …

โ€œA hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove…but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.โ€ Forest E. Witcraft
Sarah recently posted..So after eating cookiesMy Profile

Linda Kuil June 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

Wow Holly. That’s all I can say. You all are truly blessed to have each other.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thank you so much!

Linda Sherwood June 5, 2012 at 11:34 am

I LOVE this. Charlotte is so smart! I love that she shared that with you, and I love that she challenges you to try new things like climbing to the top. ๐Ÿ™‚
Linda Sherwood recently posted..Glimpse at GraduationMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks Linda!

Leigh Costa June 5, 2012 at 11:49 am

This brought tears to my eyes. My son is my main motivation for getting healthy. What a precious daughter you have. You both rock:)
Leigh Costa recently posted..Happy birthday Baby!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks Leigh!

jennxaz June 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Isn’t it crazy how our problem has affected not only us but people close to us. So proud of you to make a change. Your little girl is just precious and so sweet. Kids say stuff straight from the heart!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks Jenn!

Amanda June 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Any my weekly tear up at my desk, compliments of you. You know what though? Made me feel special. June 27th is my birthday and I love when great things happen on my birthday. You taking control of your life for yourself and for your kids on my birthday…couldn’t ask for more. You’ve got a really smart cookie there. ๐Ÿ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Dear Avenue…My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

How cool is that?!!!

Carrie June 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

What a little gem you have in Miss Charlotte!
Carrie recently posted..What does Britney and The Fairy Hobmother have in common, you ask? Uh, me. That’s what.My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Carrie!

Maureen June 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Oh, this is powerful! Well said, thank you for the encouragement. And your daughter – does she have any idea how deep and wise her words are? You are very blessed. Thank you for your comment on my blog, too – glad to hear you enjoyed the short story.
Maureen recently posted..Really SeeMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Maureen!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding June 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Your daughter is beautiful…just like her Mamma! I also needed to see this…hear it. It is so true and I plan on keeping it in mind…all the time!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..I HAVE A DATE!!!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Trish! Congrats on getting your date. I am so excited for you!

Kelliann June 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

It’s so special that your kids can see your transformation, and know that they have a special part to play in it all. My kids are too little. My oldest was just over a year old when I had my surgery. Barely being able to carry him up the stairs to his bedroom at 1 year old was one of my biggest wake up calls! Last night I was doing some strength training and he said “mama, you are strong!” I am so glad that is what he knows of me now! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Kelliann recently posted..Till you hear the beepMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Oh my gosh that is so cute!!!!

Lady Amanda June 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm

She is the sweetest. Soo cute. My favorite was the part about the ten-hundred pounds. I went to bed smiling about that. Too cute.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I thought the ten hundered pounds part was pretty funny too!!! I”m not sure if she thinks I used to weigh 10 hundred pounds or not rofl..

greenie June 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Wow! Charlotte is such an amazing person – especially at just 8 years old! So adorable and sweet!

Hope and faith and get off the couch and just exercise. Pretty profound and it’s really as simple as that, isn’t it? If that doesn’t keep you going, I don’t know what will.

You’re doing so amazingly well. And what a wonderful support system you have.

Congrats on climbing those stares!!! Just think where you will be this time NEXT year!!

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thanks Greenie! I have been so impressed with your progress and loved the pics of your daughter. She is pretty awesome too!!

Holly June 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Great post! Lovely victory to be able to see the movies with your girl and what a doll she is!!! Keep up the good work, lady!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:29 am

Thanks Holly!!

Renee June 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Your inspiration moves me to tears EVERY time! Love it.

Renee M.
Washington State
VSG 5/21/2011

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:29 am

Oh thank you so much Renee!!

Jill June 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm

WOW!! If that doesn’t inspire someone to lose weight I don’t know what will. Precious little girl. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I stumbled upon your blog and it encouraged me to start exercising and watching what I eat. I thought if you could tackle that mountain then I can certainly tackle my hill. Keep up the great work!!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:29 am

Thank you Jill!! I’m so glad you left this comment. It made my day to read this!

lori June 6, 2012 at 12:52 am

How precious!

I think we all need to realize that we don’t exist in a vacuum and our actions have an impact for good or bad.
Lori
lori recently posted..Monday MileageMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:28 am

I like what you said about the vacuum. what a perfect analogy!!

Nicole June 6, 2012 at 1:29 am

Hi Holly! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now. Not sure how I stumbled upon it but thankful I did. You are an amazing writer and have such a way with words. Many times God has used your words to encourage me. Thank you for your faithfulness. I read your blogs and they are simple and relate to everyday life. Sometimes I laugh and at times cry especially about the blogs about your children and what you were unable to do but now can. Morbid obesity is a horrible expierence but know so many great things are coming and will come out of your journey. I began my journey of redemption at 380 pounds and I am currently 254. Prayers for you as you continue on:)

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:28 am

Nicole, Thank you so much for telling me this!! You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that you have been encouraged by something I said!! Wow that is so awesome! Super congratulations to your awesome progress!!! You are doing fantastic!!!

Adelyn June 6, 2012 at 1:59 am

I want to write something intelligent, but I can’t quit crying. So. Amazing. Awesome. Wonderful things happen when we get off the couch.
Adelyn recently posted..Progress CheckMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:25 am

Thanks Adelyn!!! I totally agree. It is SO hard to believe that just getting up off that couch for even a few minutes at a time can snowball!!

Angie Mizzell June 6, 2012 at 3:49 am

You are also so wise to realize how everything we do affects our children, too. I wish my own mom had understood that. And tonight, I caught myself feeling like a whiner… how running after kids is so exhausting. Something told me to suck it up and rise above and be strong. For them.
Angie Mizzell recently posted..Comment on Set yourself free by KerstinMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 6, 2012 at 3:57 am

I totally hear you on that one!!! It is so tough I know. Sometimes we get tired and just say whatever pops in our head. It’s hard to filter it. I completely relate!!

Lisa M. June 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm

You have such amazing kids, and they got that way because they have such an amazing Mom. I am so glad you are all going through this journey together. They will learn to have good habits all their life, and hopefully will not have to go through the pain we have of being overweight. They are so blessed to have you!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Lisa.. I really appreciate that!

Nikki Mohamed June 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm

May God bless you and your Charlotte and keep you together always.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 7, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Thanks Nikki!!

Allen June 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Wow, she is adorable, I have just started reading through all your post. This young lady will go far!

Lauren April 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Holly, I’ve just recently found your blog started reading through them. This one, while almost a year old, just struck me and I wanted to comment. First off, you have 4 amazing children and you are doing an amazing job as a mom! I have a 4(almost 5) year old daughter myself and she’s a smart one. I had my surgery June 19, 2012, just before your 1 year “surgiversary”. My daughter is my main reason for having this surgery. I didn’t want her to have to go through the same things I did as a child. My father had many health issues, some obesity related, some not, beginning when he was 37(I was 7). I lost him when I was 22. I realized that the age relation between my daughter & I was the same as my dad & I, and I was heading down the same path. My daughter was about a month from her 4th birthday when I had my surgery. One doesn’t expect a 3 year old to understand or remember much about something like that. But last night, when my husband and I were talking to her about our run, she always wants to know how we did, I told her I’d run my very first 5K. She looked me right in the eyes and said “That’s awesome, Mommy. See what happens when you keep trying and don’t give up? I’m glad you’re able to play with me more, too.” Leave it to her to make me cry. ๐Ÿ™‚ I always tell her that when she’s having trouble and she turns it around and gives it right back. I told her that I wouldn’t give up, ever. Because as you said, “If you give up, youโ€™re not just quitting on yourself; youโ€™re quitting on THEM. And as a Mom, That is one thing I will NEVER do. I will never give up on my children. And if giving up on myself Means giving up on them then now I know that I can never do that again. And doesnโ€™t that give a whole new meaning to losing the weight and getting healthy? Yes. I think it does.” It really does. It’s no longer just about me, even if I want to quit myself, I can’t because I won’t give up on her. Thank you for your blog. You are a blessing. I am so glad I found you.