Unexpected Opportunities

May 7, 2012 in Uncategorized

You know those little photo booths they have in the mall?

The ones you crammed into as a teenager with your friends?

And out would pop a strip of pictures?

Amanda and I used to do that when we were teenagers

So when she came to visit me, we went to the mall

And walked past one

Untitled

She stopped and said, “Hey! Look! Let’s do it!”

But I thought “Oh no….”

Because the inside of those are small

Really small

Untitled

And we all know I could not have gotten in that box 10 months ago.

But someting inside me thought

“Maybe now I will fit…”

And I did!!

Untitled

Untitled
Not only did I fit in there

Not only that

But we BOTH fit!

WE BOTH FIT ON THE SAME SEAT

Can I even tell you how mind blowing that was for me??

So there we were

Snapping pictures in the photo booth just like we were 16 again

And it was SO fun

To be together turning 40

Reliving memories from over 20 years ago

So it took us about 2 minutes

And then out popped a strip of pictures

But as we walked out of the mall

it was so much more than just 2 minutes and a few dollars to me

It was an experience that I almost missed

That almost passed me by

Because your life is limited by your size

The bigger you are, the smaller your world

But as you lose weight, you gain experiences

Every pound that you lose is another chance you get at an experience you might have missed before

Every donut you pass on is not really a “no”

It’s a “yes” to life

Saying No to that Snickers bar is really saying “Yes” to something else

Life with your kids

Life without constant physical pain

All through the day opportunities pop up for me to eat

Unexpectedly

I didn’t know I was going to be driving past a Luby’s today

I really do love their strawberry cheesecake

It was an unexpected opportunity

But I say  no

And why?

Because there will be other unexpected opportunities coming my way

Far better than even strawberry cheesecake

Like walking past a photo booth

In the mall with Amanda 20 years later….

It was an unexpected opportunity

But I said yes

And I only COULD say yes

Because I had said no

No to the donuts, cupcakes and unexpected opportunities to eat

Sometimes saying no to food means saying yes to life

I just didn’t see it that way before

Because all the unexpected opportunities you will be able to say “yes” to  along the way

Will be  worth it

Lady Amanda May 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I love those pictures. I have mine posted on the wall in my room so that every time I walk through the door I see them. That was a fun day.

Deb May 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Simply awesome. 🙂

Grizzlyrider May 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm

“Every No is a Yes to something else” You couldn’t have said it better – I’ve printed this and taped it to my computer monitor. Yay for you!!!!!

Rae Rae J May 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Isn’t that SO awesome?! I’m looking forward to trying out the airplane bathroom just for giggles and laughs. 🙂
Rae Rae J recently posted..Weigh-In 5/07/2012My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

How exciting Rae Rae!! I’m putting this on my to-do list too!!!

Linda Kuil May 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I LOVE that mentality! You’re not depriving yourself of something, your allowing yourself a life with endless possibilities! One without pain, both physical and mental, full of joyous moments and occasions really worth celebrating!! LOVE!! I might be quoting you very soon!!!
Linda Kuil recently posted..A Picture Is Worth 1200+ WordsMy Profile

Lori May 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Great shots. You are so photogenic!
Lori
Lori recently posted..Monday MileageMy Profile

Faith May 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Love them! I recommend getting them blown up and framed (just like they are in the strip) and hanging it where you can see it every day. 🙂

Susan May 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Yeah! I love this! 😀

Trish @I_am_Succeeding May 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I just love reading your blog and today I had a “maybe I don’t want to do this moment” and then I get home and see this! Yes I need to continue…I know I do.

Thank you for sharing your journey….
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..The Bariatric BibleMy Profile

Andrea May 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I love this. It’s amazingly awesome!
Andrea recently posted..The importance of time togetherMy Profile

Staci May 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The second shot is my favorite! My leader last week giving the “it’s all about choices” speech has really fueled me through this past week. What you said just reiterated that. Sorry you’ve had trouble replying to “OUR” blog! 😉 I sure love getting your comments!
Staci recently posted..So Here’s My SurpriseMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

hahhaa….

Wishful Shrinking May 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love that you have this wonderful to share your journey back to health with people. I had forgotten how long my original list of what I could do again once my body got smaller was and I am so grateful that you are willing to you share yours.
Wishful Shrinking recently posted..Weightloss surgery as a tool of recoveryMy Profile

MandaPanda May 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm

What an awesome NSV!
MandaPanda recently posted..Day 1 PaleoMy Profile

Stephanie May 8, 2012 at 12:04 am

I never cease to be inspired by you. You are an amazing woman and I am just blown away by your resolve, your willpower and determination. You rock!!!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 8, 2012 at 2:59 am

Thanks Stephanie!!

Gi May 8, 2012 at 12:58 am

I am constantly amazed by your posts! you inspire me so much and I want to thank you.
Since I started reading your blog I have been far more focused and just eating and living better, I have already dropped 8.8lbs in 2 weeks and its all because of you and your inspirational blog.
Thank you for everything, I shall continue to read and be inspired every post.
xx
Gi recently posted..Monday Organisational Fun Day LATE DAY!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 8, 2012 at 2:59 am

Congratulations on your amazing progress! That is awesome! Thank you so much for your kind comments but I have every confidence that YOU are the reason you’re doing so fantastic!! I know you will continue to keep making terrific progress and please let us all know how you’re doing. YOU are inspiring me!!!