Repainting your life

May 15, 2012 in Uncategorized

When we moved into this home, we painted

Savannah was in 4th grade and she picked out the color for her walls

It was an orange/peach color

And that’s what she wanted

But now she’s 16 and ready for something new

She wanted something fresh

Something “calmer” she said

Just a nice cream

“Can we paint my room, Mom?”

A simple request

But before it would have been impossible

Yet this time I said “sure”

SURE

Like it’s no big deal

Getting in the car and driving to walmart

Walking all the way to the back where the paint section is

And then standing there while she goes through the paint samples

Standing for however long it takes

Because there is no chair in sight

And then waiting for them to mix it

More standing

And then picking out the paint supplies

More standing

Walking back to the front and standing in the line to pay

And then back to the car again

Sure, I said

No big deal

Because I can do that now

I remember when I first had weight loss surgery

One part of my workout plan was “The Walmart Walk”

My brother mapped out the store drawing all the benches on the map

My job was to walk in the door and sit on the bench by the door

And then as time went on

I would try to make it to the next bench

Eventually I made it all the way to the auto department

And that was the last bench until you made it back to the front

The paint department was in between

So by the time I got there I usually was in such severe pain that I wondered if I would make it

But on this day, I stood there

Comfortably

Without pain

Without sucking in air

Without a map telling me where the nearest bench would be

My daughter was in no rush

She didn’t have to just pick out the first color she saw

She only wanted “cream”, you know?

That’s simple enough

But trust me–there are still a million shades

And it was fine

Fine for her to take her time

Consider each one

I was able to give her that

And that alone made my day

But it was about to get better

Because not only did she paint her room

But we painted it together

ME

Standing on my own two feet

And my little ones fascinated by the fact that I was really doing it

Joined in the fun

PAINTING
Untitled

It took several hours and I was right by her side

Not in the recliner

Not icing my legs because the trip to Walmart broke me down

Not on pain medication for my feet

But in the bedroom with my daughter painting

Enjoying the day

Getting something accomplished

A fresh coat for her walls

A fresh look

And when it was done she said “Mom, this feels like a whole new room”

And it does!

You know it’s the same place

The same room

But somehow it’s different

It has a whole new look

And that’s how I feel about my life

I’m still me

The same person

But where places were broken and cracked

Chipped and worn

God brought out his paintbrush

And started to paint

A fresh coat on the worn and tattered walls of my life

Something much lighter

Much calmer

Like this video I saw

Of an artist who paints X-Rays

Because X-Rays show what is broken

What hurts

Then she paints them into something beautiful

The idea that you can take what is broken

And use it as a canvas

Amazes me

But it takes time to paint a room

Jut like it takes time to repaint your life

And sometimes it takes more than one coat

I know that His paintbrush

Will never stop repainting the walls of my life

Taking the time and attention to detail required

To get every corner and every line

Perfect

So that when I step back I can say

“The old has gone. Everything is made new!” (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Steelers6 May 15, 2012 at 3:01 am

Wow, big job! That is a workout in itself, painting a room. Good job! And I’m sure the room is now very ahhhhh.

Planning to do that for my teen as well. She has a bit of um, clutter though.. You are encouraging me.

You look good in the photo! Getting smaller all the time, gf!
Chrissy

Joyce May 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

I love your analogies!!! A whole new world is open to us now.

lindakuil May 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

I want to see the finished product!!!

Ducky May 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I am so amazed every time I read you. You are such an amazing inspiration. Your wisdom, struggles and victories, outlook and introspection can be translated to almost any area of my own life. I see things in ways I never would’ve thought about before and I love that I grow and learn every time I am here.

Not to mention how proud and excited I feel…which mostly translates from the feelings YOU write with!
Ducky recently posted..That Moment When Your Stupid Falls OutMy Profile

Trish @I_am_Succeeding May 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Great job!! Reminds me we have painting to do here!! Oy!! =)

Love that scripture too!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..New Weight Watcher Spokesperson?!My Profile

Amanda May 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

You know my favorite part of your blog is? How you are able to take everyday events that most people take for granted without a second thought and relish in them. You’re able to take those moments into your heart and lock them away forever. Part of my goals for this year was to be “content.” Content with the day to day because that’s something I’m so terrible at. But look at you. Not only are you content with the day to day, you bask in it. Thank you for that.
Amanda recently posted..Banded PlicationMy Profile

tz May 15, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I love how you find those things that many take for granted and you make them almost reverent. I know I’ve said it before but you are a beautiful writer!
tz recently posted..It’s all clear nowMy Profile

DebbyH May 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm

We think so much alike!! As i was reading I kept thinking the old is gone, the new has come. And I KNOW theres a song that it reminds me of, (and of course my premenapausal mind is working right now) and I cant think of who sings it.
DebbyH recently posted..Weekly RecapMy Profile

Amanda May 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

You are always so inspirational. 🙂 I’m so happy you were able to do this with your daughter.

I’m impressed with your daughter too, going for a mature cream! I’m 24 years old and I still always paint my room in shades of green. My bedroom right now is a pale, bright green, with a pink “tropical sunset” wall to offset it.
Amanda recently posted..who wants a postcard?My Profile

Bre May 15, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I thought the same thing about her picking cream paint. When I was 16 I painted my room dark dark purple with metallic silver trim ha ha ha.

Trece Wyman May 15, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much your posts mean to me. I love how you show what God is doing. It helps me remember that He’s not done with me yet.
Trece Wyman recently posted..More PagesMy Profile

Ronnie May 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I love how you can turn something that might be so trivial for anyone else who’s never been obese into something magical… just because you’re able to do it. This is the kind of enthusiasm children approach life with, but adults rarely are able to. It’s a truly beautiful thing to behold. 🙂
Ronnie recently posted..New Blogger Alert!My Profile

Wishful Shrinking May 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thank you for writting this today. I have an unfinished painting project. It is a pretty big one but I have not started because I wanted it to be perfect so I wanted to hire a painter to do it. Well actually I did hire a painter to do it and then he found out that he has cancer and has closed his shop. I think God is reaffirming a thought that was put in my head about this project a month ago. It doesn’t have to be perfect it just has to get done.
Wishful Shrinking recently posted..day 313My Profile

Ronda May 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I want to see the finished product!
Great job, and I love your brother.

Laryssa (Mrs. O) May 16, 2012 at 1:26 am

I’ve painted by myself. It’s not an easy job and takes a lot of standing and climbing and bending and stretching. And you were able to do all that! That is awesome! Yes, sometimes He has to use more than one coat. And it makes us all the more thankful that He doesn’t get tired either. 🙂
Laryssa (Mrs. O) recently posted..RandomnessMy Profile

Jenny Matlock May 16, 2012 at 4:26 am

What a great story…this was really inspiring…

Anybody going to Walmart voluntarily and surviving…geez…well that is another story of bravery in and by itself.

Good for you, Holly. And good for all your loved ones, too.
Jenny Matlock recently posted..Waving GoodbyeMy Profile

Lisa Wilson May 28, 2012 at 1:35 am

Once again, you blow me away by you being you! I love hearing about all of your NSV! 🙂 I too, painted my teenage daughters bedroom this weekend! 🙂 We went with Behr’s Embellished Blue. 🙂 Anyhow, your “Broken is Beautiful” reminded me of this song, “Broken Things” by Kenneth Cope. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for being You! 🙂 <3 <3 <3

Mary May 29, 2012 at 12:32 am

Since my hubby is a painter, he breezes in and out of the stores picking up supplies and paint quite often… and I’ve gone with him a number of times, probably neither of us really considering that something like that is not just a quick errand to those who can’t do it and have much more than we do to deal with healthwise.
I’m glad you’ve come so far with your accomplishments.
Your story is very inspirational!
Mary recently posted..It’s just over the bridge and down the Parkway.My Profile