Perspective

May 29, 2012 in Uncategorized

Remember when I said there will be bad days?

Well I had one last week

I just simply could not believe how awful this day was

It reminded me of that children’s book

"Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"

And as I tend to do

I sat down to write Amanda an email all about it

Here it is

————————————————————————————————
Hey Amanda,

Well I had the worst day ever!

It started with me waking up to a phone call about my Mother’s estate.

Every time something else happens with the estate I get an email or phone call about it.

It’s really depressing.

It reminds me all over again that Mom is gone.

And then I start the day out depressed.

To make matters worse, I woke up with that same pain I’ve had in my side for the past two days.

You know…the pain that was freaking me out because I had no idea what it was?

Well I woke up with my period so evidently that pain was cramps!!

I can’t even believe this.

I haven’t had a regular period in years.  One of the side effects of being obese.

But now that I’ve lost weight  I get stuck with having a period again.

UGH

So my life was going downhill before I even got back home from dropping the kids off.

I walked in the door and sat down to check my work email only to find 4 emails from an upset individual who was very unhappy about a decision I had made.

I sat down to  forward the email to my supervisor telling her the specific reasons why I had made that decision.

But then I mistakenly sent it TO THE UPSET PERSON instead of my supervisor!

Don’t ask me how.  But I did.

So all day today I was upset about that on top of having cramps!

Then I went to pick up the kids from school and Annabelle was missing!

No one knew where she was.  I was so panicked I thought I would have a heart attack.

But then she called to tell me she had walked home with a friend.

Without permission, of course!

And not before giving me a panic attack.

Unbelievable!

Of course she was in big trouble and as a result of that my mood was even worse than it had been all morning!

I was so upset and full of anxiety from the entire horrible day.

I ran up to the grocery store to get some things for dinner.

I was in the grocery store all of 10 minutes and I come out to find my car having been rammed into by some jerk who didn’t even bother to leave a note!!

So now my bumper is messed up AGAIN.

I have barely had this car very long and first the bumper is rammed by a runaway shopping cart.

Then I get rear ended last year.

And now someone randomly just rams into my car and messes the bumper up again!

Now I’m going to be stuck paying a deductible to get it fixed. Not fair!

Can this day get any worse?

Well yes apparently it can!

Because I drove home, pulled the car in the garage, got out and immediately slipped in some random puddle that was in the garage!

I fell very hard right on my butt!!

I fell on my bad knee and my foot that I’ve already sprained 5 times!

It was so loud the kids heard me from inside the house.

All 4 of them had to pull me off the floor

So now I am sitting in the recliner with ice packs.

I hate this day!!
——————————————————————————————————————————–

But after a few days went by

I had time to reassess

To think over the situation

And I realized

That it’s easy to get depressed

To let anxiety and stress take over

But you know where that leads?

To Krispy Kreme

And I don’t want to go there anymore

I decided that it might take more effort

But there was a better way to see things

That in fact it might just be possible

For my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

To be exactly the opposite!

And I realized that maybe

My email to Amanda should have gone like this:
———————————————————————————————————————————————

Hey Amanda,

Well I had the best day ever!!

It started with me waking up to a phone call about my Mother’s estate.

It’s really comforting that they keep me in the loop.

I never have to wonder what’s going on because they always let me know.

I’m so lucky that everyone is so on top of things.

And every time I get another phone call about the estate, it reminds me all over again that Mom is in heaven!

Totally free from heart problems, cancer, arthritis and all the other physical problems she had.

And it’s so wonderful to be reminded that I don’t have to worry about her anymore.

I used to spend a lot of time doing that.  Worrying about her being alone in that house.

Now I know she is safe and happy every single second of the day.

And I love being reminded of that.  It is such a relief!

And then I start the day out on a happy note.

To make the day even better– I woke up with that same pain I’ve had in my side for the past two days.

You know…the pain that was freaking me out because I had no idea what it was?

Well I woke up with my period so evidently that pain was cramps!!

Isn’t’ that awesome??   Now I know it is nothing to worry about!

What a relief!

And now that  I’ve lost weight  I get to have a normal period again!

It just proves that my body is getting back to where it should be.

Healthy!!  I am so thrilled!

So my life was already going better than I could imagine before I even got back home from dropping the kids off at school.

I walked in the door and sat down to check my work email to find 4 emails from an upset individual who was unhappy with a decision I had made.

It made me realize that this is the first time I’ve ever really gotten an email like that before from work.

How lucky am I?

And it reminded me that I have a job! A great job that I love! Wow…the blessings just keep rolling in!!

But then I mistakenly sent it TO THE UPSET INDIVIDUAL instead of my supervisor!

Don’t ask me how.  But I did.

So all day today I was grateful that I hadn’t said anything negative in that email at all.

I had clearly and professionally explained the reasoning behind my decision.

In fact, it was a blessing in disguise because now I don’t have to write another email to this person explaining it to them!

Then I went to pick up the kids from school and Annabelle was missing!

But then she called to tell me she had walked home with a friend.

What a relief!!

I can’t tell you how happy I was!

Every day there are news reports about missing children and she could have been one of them.

Can you imagine what all the parents are going through that are suffering with not knowing where the children are?

And I only had to suffer for 5 minutes before she called.

It reminded me of how lucky I am and how much more I need to pray for all the parents out there who are suffering every day not knowing where their children are.

I was SO grateful that she was ok.  Of course I had to have a talk with her and she was grounded BUT I was really grateful that nothing bad happened!

So I ran up to the grocery store to get some things for dinner.

I was in the grocery store all of 10 minutes and I come out to find my car having been rammed into by someone.

So now my bumper is messed up AGAIN.

Then I get rear ended last year.

And now someone randomly just rams into my car and messes the bumper up again!

That is 3 times in a row!! Can you believe my luck??

Each and every time it was ONLY  my bumper!!

It’s not even a part of the car that you need to drive!

It’s completely superficial!

I wasn’t in a life threatening accident or even in the car when it happened.

How lucky could I possibly be???

And because Texas has that uninsured motorist law my deductible is only 250 dollars.

It could have been WAY more than that.  And it reminded me how grateful I am that I have car insurance!

Can this day get any better?

Well yes apparently it can!

I fell very hard right on my butt!!

I even fell on my bad knee and my foot that I’ve already sprained 5 times!

But I didn’t break anything! I didn’t even sprain my ankle!

Aside from being a little sore, I was totally fine.  What are the odds of that happening??

But here is the best part!

When I fell it was so loud the kids heard me from inside the house.

I didn’t even have to call them to help me.

How lucky is that?

All 4 of them came running out to check on me.

It reminded me how lucky I am to have 4 wonderful kids!

And here is the best part!

They all pulled me off the floor

Can you believe that?

My children were able to pull me up off the floor!

One of my biggest fears at 417 pounds was falling

Because I knew NO ONE would be able to ever get me off the floor

But yesterday I had lost enough weight

That my own children could get me off the floor when I fell

Amazing!

So now I am sitting in the recliner with ice packs.

So grateful that I have a recliner to prop up in and ice packs already in the freezer ready to go.

I love this day!!

————————————————————————————————————————————–

Isn’t it crazy what a change in perspective can do for you?

Trish @I_am_Succeeding May 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yes!!! It is crazy! Same day…different look at it.

XOXO
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..Are You Kind… To You?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Love you Trish!

Sarah G May 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It IS all in how you look at things. Great job changing your perspective and finding the positive side!!
Sarah G recently posted..Buster Brown PicsMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Thanks Sarah!

Courtney C May 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm

“For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

These verses have really been ministering to me in my own struggles and sounded very much like what you’re thinking about. I hope you find them encouraging and helpful!
Courtney C recently posted..Grace’s Birthday BBQMy Profile

Staci May 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm

LOL. I am laughing SO HARD right now. I just think it’s hilarious. Here I was feeling all sorry for you, and now with the “corrected email” to Amanda I’m laughing my rear off at your joy and enthusiasm over the “bad” situations. This is right up there with you being stuck in the tub and lunging out. I love it. So yes, it is amazing how much changing your thinking can do for your mood because I have just went from “oh no!!!” to “rofl” with just a change of your outlook! Now, why did you tease me with that “I was only 17” post that you started and didn’t finish. AND there was one called “His name was Bill” or something like that months ago. Never finished that one either. You are such a tease girl! LOL Those things show up on blogger!!!
Staci recently posted..Well Just Forget ItMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Hahhaaa. Publishers regret!! Wasn’t ready yet so had to pull it back. But now I’m wondering who Bill is!! Rofl must find out! Lol

Staci May 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Well Bill might be the wrong name cause this was waaaay many moons ago! I think it was like some guy on the internet that you met. Or maybe that’s just what my imagination made out of it?? LOL Anyway, just giving you a hard time, but you really do have to stop teasing me. I hate sassy teasers. Hahaha. There is always room for a sassy joke. LOL
Staci recently posted..Well Just Forget ItMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm

AAAH!! Some guy I met on the internet??!! No way! That one wasn’t me!! lol..not that I’m against men on the internet lol. I just know that one wasn’t me. hahaha

Rae Rae J May 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I so wish I had that perspective!! I need it more!!
Rae Rae J recently posted..Weigh-In 5/29/2012My Profile

Caron May 29, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Wow! That was fantastic. I need to remember this when I get into a bad mood. Really great. πŸ™‚
Caron recently posted..RFSC Week 9 Update – Week 10 GoalsMy Profile

A May 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm

This is so freaking wonderful!!!!! Totally what I needed right now. Thanks.
A recently posted..Progress CheckMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thanks!!

WishfulShrinking May 29, 2012 at 7:19 pm

That is a wonderful attitude of gratitude! Part of my daily assignment is to write 5 gratitudes every day. I am currently writing 2 about my husband and one about my son everyday. I forget sometimes that if what I am grateful for is just in my head that if never gets said out loud and then no one knows.
WishfulShrinking recently posted..Day 327My Profile

Ducky May 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm

When it rains it pours, no? And time does give us perspective. Doesn’t mean the moments don’t feel crappy while in the middle of them. Now the trick is to take the perspective part from a few days past and insert it in the ‘during’. πŸ˜€ If you figure this out let me know. I’ve been having trouble with it lately too!
Ducky recently posted..Wonder Triplet Powers ACTIVATEMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I’m not as good at the “during” part either!!! lol

Beth May 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Great way to turn things around Holly! Thank you for sharing that; it’s something I need to learn to do as well.

Hugs to you for getting through such an awful day and here’s hoping tomorrow goes much better!

Beth

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Beth!

Kara May 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I love the positive spin on your horrible day!

πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..How Many Steps?My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thanks kara!

Lora May 29, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Just found your blog a couple of days ago. I am loving your positive attitude! And WOW on your weight loss! What an inspiration you are!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Lora!!! I’m glad you’re here!

Sheila May 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

OMG, I absolutely LOVE this post Holly!!! What an amazing thing having a PMA does for someone (that is a Positive Mental Attitude.) And yours my dear has carried you so far in life and it will continue to carry you through lifes trials and tribulations, that no Krispy Kreme donut will EVER EVER EVER carry you through.

Somedays are *like* that, even in Australia. πŸ˜‰
Sheila recently posted..She Blinded Me With….WHITE!!!My Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 30, 2012 at 12:59 am

Sheila…are you in Australia? And if so, how did I miss that before now? Does this mean you have an Australian accent?? If so, I must redo my whole imagination of you in my head!! lol
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..PerspectiveMy Profile

Lisa Q May 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Perspective is everything! I have fought this battle for years and I continue to work to improve how I view circumstances and events. I know God has a purpose for each thing, but I have to decide to find that purpose.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I have lost 130 lbs. in about a year counting calories.

Stay focused!
Lisa

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Way to go Lisa!! That is totally fantastic!!!

Gi May 30, 2012 at 12:35 am

Gosh I love reading your posts!
I recently had a bad time and just posted about my horrible week and how I pulled myself out of it and I feel that its great to hear that its not just me who gets negative about it all sometimes!
Love it!
xx
Gi recently posted..M.I.AMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 30, 2012 at 12:55 am

Heading over right now to read about it Gia!!!!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..PerspectiveMy Profile

darlene May 30, 2012 at 12:42 am

I have been teaching my 13 year old son that he makes a choice every day to be happy or miserable. I have to say, that it did sound like you had a really sucky day & not much more could go wrong, but kudos for putting an optimistic spin on it. We have to stop and be greatful for all that we have!
I have been reading your blog for several weeks now. I dont have my own blog, so I know you dont know me, but I wanted to tell you a couple things. First, you are an incredibly talented writer. You make your “stories” come to life and make others truly feel what you are going through. And as someone on the weight loss
journey, I can really relate to you. Secondly, I want you to know that I think your
blog is honestly one of the most inspirational and motivating things I have ever read. You have no idea how positively you have affected me, and I am sure many others. I am so proudof all you have accomplished and I sincerely thank you for all the inspiration you have given me!
So, if you are having a bad day, know that there are people out here (some you may not even know are here) who are cheering you on and pushing for you!
Thank you for sharing and helping!
Darlene

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 30, 2012 at 12:55 am

Wow Darlene. Can I just say that I actually have tears in my eyes reading this . You have NO idea how much this means to me right now. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell me this. I really do appreciate it. Lately I have been a bit overwhelmed with work and family responsibilities which is causing me to slack a bit on my blog. There are days I think to myself ..would anyone care if I didn’t write?..lol…and then I read this. You make it all worth it!! Thank you ((Darlene))!!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..PerspectiveMy Profile

Jessie June 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I agree with everything Darlene said, including not having a blog or knowing who I am. I am not on a weight loss journey, I just read everyday because of your writing and inspiration to look at the good. Keep up the great work.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down June 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thank you so much Jessie!! This keeps me going. I want you to know how much it means that you told me this. Thank you!!!

Nikki Mohamed May 30, 2012 at 2:42 am

I’m having one of those days myself….only it’s involving stench. Don’t ask!
I hope you feel better and that things smooth over with the upset person and that Annabelle NEVER does anything so frightening again. (Been there, done that.)

greenie May 30, 2012 at 3:47 am

Wow Holly!

I usually read updates from my phone and it’s a hassle to comment from my phone, so often times I want to, but I don’t. But, just so you know… your words are always so inspiring to me.

This “glass is half empty/full” post really touched me. With my drastic life change right now, sometimes (more often than I like lately – now that reality is REALLY setting in), the negative starts to slip in and I start to feel a little depressed and think “what the f*** have I done to my life!?!?! I had it all!!!” But then I quickly remind myself that I wasn’t happy and try to focus on all the positives. It’s so easy to slip into that negative mindset, but so important to beat it down.

So, again, even though I don’t always comment, know that I love your words and am so impressed by how far you’ve come!!!

I really appreciate your comments on my blog as well. I’m honored!!!

Amanda May 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm

So you’ve already got tons of comments on this one but I gotta tell you, I LOVE, love, love, love this post! I was just about to sit down and write a “blah” post and now I’m not going to. In fact, I just got an idea of something else I’m going to do and I owe it all to you. Thanks for this!
Amanda recently posted..Rougher Than I ThoughtMy Profile

Deb May 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This is such an awesome post! Positive thought is what makes the world go ’round and what keeps us happy! I truly believe in this! Thank you for writing it! πŸ™‚

April May 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Holly, that is simply. Amazing. Thank you so much for posting 2 totally opposite perspectives of the same day!! That’s one of the things that makes you awesome. You choose to see things the good way!

Kevin B May 30, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I’m a new subscriber. I found you less than a week ago and it has been a pleasure following you and your writings. I had one of those days yesterday and you have made me gain an entirely new perspective on those events. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this because it has really helped me today. Thank you so much. Great Outlook. I really loved the twist ending. LOL

Chuckles May 31, 2012 at 1:19 am

It was a pleasure to read your upbeat interpretations of the days events. Love you bunches πŸ™‚

Alison June 1, 2012 at 3:04 am

Love this! We all need a reminder like this some days.

Natalie January 16, 2013 at 2:08 am

Your posts often make me tear up but this was my favourite so far! When I read the first part I did think you should be kind of happy about getting your period back, that your body was healthy enough for that, but I didn’t see the good in all the other parts until you pointed them out. That was awesome reframing.
Natalie recently posted..Verti-cool challengeMy Profile