Oh the Places You’ll Fit!!

May 18, 2012 in Uncategorized

Charlotte’s class went on a field trip

Downtown to the Imax theatre

On the Riverwalk

She really wanted me to come

She knew that I had gone on a field trip  with CJ’s class to the zoo–and survived!

So she was hoping her time had come too

But the problem with the Imax

Is that it’s an older theatre

Built before they made it possible to move the armrest up to give yourself more room

And the seats are not as wide

So this was risky

But I decided to go for it and hope for the best

It was a rainy day
Untitled

I waited with some of the parents for the school buses to arrive

We had to wait quite awhile but there was no where to sit

Unless you count the edge of this wall

Untitled

Not the sort of thing I could ever fit on !

10 months ago

But it’s NOT 10 months ago!! It’s a new day!

Untitled

It started to rain again right before the buses arrived

Here is Charlotte and her friend off the bus!

Untitled

So we headed up to the theatre

Untitled

And although it was VERY tight

And I mean VERY

I fit in the seat

Untitled

When the movie was over, the kids got back on the bus to head back to school

But not before Charlotte gave me a big hug and said

“Thanks Mom for coming! I knew you’d fit”

And she was right!

As I walked back to the car, I could see before I even got there

That a car had parked in the space next to me

And the room between our cars was slim

A surge of panic went through me

Because I’ve had this happen before

It’s one of the biggest fears an obese person can have when they go places

Having too little room between your car and the one next to you

Not enough room for you to squeeze back into your side of the car

It’s happened before

Once I had to get in on the passenger side

And sit there

Waiting

Until they finally returned to their car

An hour and a half later

Another time

I couldn’t wait

So I had to ask a stranger passing by

If he could please move my car out of the space far enough for me to get in

Yeah–that’s embarrassing

But this time was different

Because it was tight

BUT I FIT

Sometimes I feel like Dr. Seuss

Talking about all the places I fit

So here’s my Dr. Suess Inspired version of “Oh the Places You’ll Go!”

Hope you enjoy!

—————————————————————–

Congratulations!

Today is your day!

You’re off to great places!

You’re off and away!

Your feet fit in your shoes

You’ve got energy to walk

From now on you’ll do a lot more than just talk

About wanting to go with your kids on field trips

About wishing these things weren’t such a hardship

You won’t lag behind

Because you’ll have the speed

To keep up with your kids

Maybe even take the lead!

Oh the places you’ll see

Oh the places you’ll FIT !!!

The chairs and the stairs that you now can outwit!

But don’t be surprised when you step on a crack

When you have some bad days

Or some kind of setback

But on you will go!

Onward you’ll climb!

Taking on each new hill

No matter how high!

So go move some mountains!

Or just squeeze into your car

Because the fact that you can

Proves you’ve come oh so far!!

Theresa Cox May 18, 2012 at 5:41 am

That is awesome! You are an inspiration! I’m soooo glad I found your blog.

Linda Kuil May 18, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ll never get tired of hearing about the places or the things you once could not do, but now can! You are so lucky to live in SA! There’s so much to do within minutes of your house! I need to get myself back there to visit my gf!

Joyce May 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle May 18, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thanks so much for sharing your journey! I just had my sleeve surgery on Monday & am doing well so far post-op. I love reading about all the things you can do now that you couldn’t do before. It’s so awesome!!
Michelle recently posted..Reality Sinks InMy Profile

Lady Amanda May 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Love it!!! And I can really tell you have lost more weight- I can see the difference in the pictures from a few weeks ago. Way to go! That is awesome. Soo proud of you. Loved this post!

A May 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Again, so wonderful and so much to learn from you…
A recently posted..StreaksMy Profile

sandie May 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Please tell us stories like this every day. I am so glad for you. Did you have the lap band or not? You look great. Maybe you are my mojo! sandie
sandie recently posted..Fun Friday with a little help with my friendsMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hi sandie!! I had the vertical sleeve but my brother had the lapband!

Sharon May 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Hi Holly,
You have an AMAZING story. I’m almost 70 and you are an inspiration to me. God Bless you.
I’m to old for lap band and gastric bypass. What is a VERTICAL SLEEVE?
Thank you and when you get down remember we are ALL cheering for you to win.
Sharon

Holly from 300 Pounds Down May 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Hi Sharon! Oh you’re so sweet! I know the surgery is not for everyone and I have lots of people I follow via blogs who have lost the weight without surgery. The vertical sleeve is a procedure where they remove 80-85% of your stomach. It is another type of weight loss surgery. I’m so happy you left a comment! thank you so much!!

Mina May 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm

You are SUCH an inspiration. I look forward to each and every one of your posts.
Mina recently posted..Beautiful day in Queens! 🙂My Profile

Mimi@Irresistible Icing May 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

This is awesome! You go girl!!!!
Mimi@Irresistible Icing recently posted..Weight Loss – Can You Do It Without a Higher Power?My Profile

Anita May 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm

And can I just tell you something? THAT will never get old for you. Fitting in places and not worrying about fitting in places is something I still think about and am grateful for more than 12 years later after losing 100+ pounds. This was an absolute joy to read this morning and I’m so happy for you and for your kids. “I knew you’d fit…” what a smart, hopeful and proud girl that is!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding May 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm

You are a rock star!!!
Trish @I_am_Succeeding recently posted..Quoting TodayMy Profile

Staci May 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Love the poem! Haha, too cute! You look SO SASSY standing there between those vehicles! 😉 Now you have me paranoid. There have been times I parked too close to someone in the lot. *I* had to turn sideways and scoot out. It was embarrassing, but I never took into consideration what if the person in the other vehicle is bigger than I am. Eek. That really would be a horrible and humbling situation. 🙁 Funny what you are aware of when you have been through something. I never thought twice about using the handicap bathroom stalls until I was actually paralyzed and HAD to use the handicap stall and had to wait my turn from a long line of people who were using it “just because” even though they had other stalls to choose from and I didn’t. Now I always survey the room before I cut off an actual handicap person for a handicap stall! LOL
Staci recently posted..Walking Once MoreMy Profile

MeChele May 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Loved this post! I am trying to get fit as well, it’s so frustrating and hard but with God’s help I’m making it one day at a time!!! Glad I found your blog!
MeChele recently posted..Nights at the Ballfield 2012My Profile

Tammy May 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm

How great that you were able to attend your daughter’s field trip. It was exciting to see all the place you can now fit and even more to come. I know all to well the fear of not fitting. Before moving to the Seattle area, I used to take trips here with my sister to attend Mariner’s baseball games. Since moving here in 1996, I haven’t been able to attend and have never been in the new stadium because I know I won’t fit in the seats.

The car thing…omg, I know the embarrassment. After having my hair done one day, I went out to my car and found that another car had parked within inches and there was no way I could get in. I had to go back in the salon and ask if someone could enter my car and back it out for me. I was so freaking embarrassed. A second time this happened, I was too embarrassed to ask another stranger that instead I had my husband drive to me and pick me up. We picked up my car a couple hours later. I cannot wait until the day I can squeeze into tight spots. I’m working on it.

Good for you!!
Tammy recently posted..I want to go outsideMy Profile

Theresa May 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I love this!
Theresa recently posted..Mother’s Day Weight Gain!My Profile

Reggie May 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm

That Suessical story. It sounds like you and your daughter had a great time!

suzanne May 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I really do think the mind lags behind the difference in the body! The mind says you can’t but your body can and does 🙂
By the way you ROCK!
suzanne recently posted..Not as bad as I thought it was going to be….My Profile

JDaniel4's Mom May 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I am so glad that you got to go! It sounds like it made your daughter’s day!
JDaniel4’s Mom recently posted..Read.Explore.Learn.- Boris and the Wrong ShadowMy Profile

spatters3 May 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

loved your homage to Dr. Suess 😉 I too have recently found out that I don’t have to fear the parking lot. It’s very nice.

liz May 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

just want to leave a comment & let you know that i admire you so much! i found your blog 2 weeks ago, and i’ve been checking it every single day & rooting for you & your family. your writing is very inspirational — even to those who are not trying to lose weight. i think there are a lot of amazing messages here, and i wanted to say bravo.

Chetney May 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I just really love how you put things in perspective for other people to put there feet in your shoes. Or really not YOUR shoes anymore, but someone who is obese, and may have to sit in a car until the neighboring vehicle pulls away. I can feel how you felt trapped in your body and its limitations, I am so happy for you and your accomplishments!
Chetney recently posted..Gardening!My Profile

Julie May 19, 2012 at 2:36 am

You are awesome. You know, last year at scout camp I did something I would of never done 60 lbs ago, I fit into a kayak and paddled around. I fit and was happy but not nearly as happy as Mike was that I did it. Along with climbing the fire tower and climbing the rock wall. It is an awesome feeling doing things that just weren’t possible before.
Keep up the great work Holly. Have a blessed weekend!

Jane May 19, 2012 at 4:50 am

Awesome!!! And I like your pink shirt too. 🙂

Sheila May 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I think that is the best poem I’ve ever read! Holly you have such a flair for writing and you have this huge entire army out here cheering you on. I am so happy that you could be there for your daughter’s field trip, what a special day!

joy May 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm

The comment from your daughter made me cry. Oh how obesity hurts…not just us, but our loved ones too! So glad you were able to make the trip. Loved your poem!!

Keep focused!

Faith May 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Love your poem, Holly 🙂 I think Dr. Seuss would be as proud of you as we are.

KLG May 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I never thought I would see the day when I couldn’t fit into something because of my size… but I was so wrong. The girl that I nanny for has a swing set in her backyard and I can’t fit on the swings, or the swings at the local park, and my friend has this stepping stool and her daughter loves to sit with people on it but I can’t fit in it. It is a horrible feeling. I am so glad you found MULTIPLE things that you can now fit into, and that you got to experience a special day with your daughter! People don’t realize how much it hurts to miss out on things in life because of your size. I bet today was a great reward for all your hard work!
KLG recently posted..Shhhhh…. You’re a SecretMy Profile

Brenda May 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I had forgotten all about not fitting in between parked cars. I remember the panic. People don’t realize all the obstacles that come with obesity. I am very proud of you. You are truly inspirational.

Robyn May 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Holly- You got it. You got that special something. I hope you know how special you are to everyone that reads your blog.
Robyn recently posted..Work Out Wednesday and Some Photos from the WeddingMy Profile